Parents Coming Into Town Next Weekend - Need Three-Top, Small Plates - Any Style, Cuisine, or Price

foodchaindc

your go-to top 3 that either would still have a reservation available or not too long of a wait?

I think that'll be the tough part with these, but in my humble opinion, Barcelona, Rose's Luxury, or Tico would be your best bets. Not sure where your parents are from or what they're into, but Tico and Barcelona are both on 14th, so it'll be a pretty cool city scene on a weekend night. I know both also take reservations. I liked Tico a little better, food-wise, but that'll be 100% subjective - both have extensive menus with at least some choices that will appeal to almost anyone.

Even though it isn't a traditional "small plates" restaurant, I personally (along with approximately 98% of the rest of DC, it seems) think that Rose's is one of the best spots in the city right now. If it's three of you going, you could order a significant portion of the menu, and the service and style of the place is really, really hard to beat right now. That said, you'd have to get there around 4:15 or so on a Friday or Saturday to try and get a spot during their first seating. You can always put your name in and have them call you when a table is ready if need be. Lots of fun spots around Eastern Market and Barrack's Row to grab a drink or two or window shop while you wait.

Another reliable option for tapas/small plates is always Jaleo - it's a tried and true DC long-timer and a Jose Andres spot, so you know the food will be good, if not great.

Having never been to Spain, take this for what it's worth, but I really like Estadio, as well - very authentic, very classic Spanish-style tapas joint. Good drinks, too. Honestly, with a week's notice, I think you should be fine with any of these (although I'd still recommend braving the line at Rose's).

Hope this helps at least a bit!

Cheers!

Coite,

lhollers speaks pearls of wisdom - listen to him about reservations and get on the phone now, however, most "small-plates-only" restaurants don't take reservations, and ones like Rose's Luxury have very long lines.

Can you tell us some more about what you're willing to tolerate in terms of reservations and lines?

I would also recommend a few other places such as Cork Wine Bar, 2 Amys, and Etto in edition to everywhere lhollers - I'd choose Estadio over Jaleo.

I'm a big fan of the tasting menus at both Kapnos and Graffiato.  They bury you in dish after dish after dish and the price is fantastic (around 50 bucks I think).   Tons of variety too.  They also let you customize your dinner so if there are certain dishes you absolutely must have (or most avoid) they'll take care of you.

Don't forget about The Partisan, which right now is in the same league as Rose's and Red Hen, but takes reservations.

I'm a big fan of the tasting menus at both Kapnos and Graffiato.  They bury you in dish after dish after dish and the price is fantastic (around 50 bucks I think).   Tons of variety too.  They also let you customize your dinner so if there are certain dishes you absolutely must have (or most avoid) they'll take care of you.

I like the idea of The Partisan, but Graffiato gets into the question of what's too loud - that would cross border for many parents I know of.

It's interesting you say that Don because I was just reading the thread on the Partisan and one of the posters complained that it was VERY loud in there.

But yeah, Graffiato can be loud especially when it's packed.  Best advice for any place that is on the loud side of the spectrum -- go very early

The only other thing I'd note about the Partisan is the menu is very heavily meat oriented

It's interesting you say that Don because I was just reading the thread on the Partisan and one of the posters complained that it was VERY loud in there.

But yeah, Graffiato can be loud especially when it's packed.  Best advice for any place that is on the loud side of the spectrum -- go very early

The only other thing I'd note about the Partisan is the menu is very heavily meat oriented

I've only been to The Partisan outside of dinner rush, so I actually don't know how noisy it gets in there - I would believe the poster on the thread; Graffiato, I can personally vouch for - at certain places and times, you have to shout to be heard.

And yes, meat (and charcuterie) are prime reasons to go to The Partisan.

In the burbs..... perhaps not what most people think of for small plates, but one of the better ones would be A&J - and typically not a wait for weekend dinners (brunch is a completely different situation altogether).   not exclusively a small plate restaurant, but Pizzeria Orso has outstanding small plates.  in the district, i also think Cork is a good suggestion.... it's been years since I've been there, but Bar Pilar was good.  Another possibility is trying to snag bar seats at Rasika (Penn Qtr or West End).