Lapis (Formerly Napoleon), Modern Afghan on Columbia Road and Mintwood Place in Adams Morgan by the Owners of Cafe Bonaparte and Malmaison

Hello everyone,
New to the board here, and first time posting. Nothing better than eating and reading food messageboard during workday!

So I hear old Mantis space will transform into "Napoleon" soon, an offshoot of Cafe Bonaparte Deux in G-town. The downstairs bar will be called "Metropolitain". They'll be serving crepes and other French fares. Not too excited about another crepe place in Adams Morgan, but may be a good place for drinks. I've not passed by the location recently, anyone know when it will be opening?

We were there last night, which was apparently opening night. The place was slammed, and for being so new, the food and service were both very good. Everyone at our table was pleased. The menu is typical French bistro fare, and goes beyond crepes. I'll need to have another go of it to be sure, but I believe I've found a nice alternative to Bistrot du F**k You.

We were there last night, which was apparently opening night. The place was slammed, and for being so new, the food and service were both very good. Everyone at our table was pleased. The menu is typical French bistro fare, and goes beyond crepes. I'll need to have another go of it to be sure, but I believe I've found a nice alternative to Bistrot du F**k You.
They have MUSSELS???? I am so there. :lol:

It's on the corner next to that little park on Columbia rd - in the same strip as Bedrock, etc...across the skreet from Grill From Ipanema and that crazy expensive furniture store, Design Within Reach (Only If You're Riche).

So is the basement at Napoleon still dance-party-ready. Mantis used to serve 40oz of Colt 45 and play house music until the wee hours. I'm going to miss it!

It's on the corner next to that little park on Columbia rd - in the same strip as Bedrock, etc...across the skreet from Grill From Ipanema and that crazy expensive furniture store, Design Within Reach (Only If You're Riche).

So is the basement at Napoleon still dance-party-ready. Mantis used to serve 40oz of Colt 45 and play house music until the wee hours. I'm going to miss it!

Yes, the downstairs lounge is still there. They've also done something unusual with the restrooms. There is now a row of 4-5 doors against the back wall, with just a toilet behind each. The sinks are now out in the hallway.

Oh, I get it now. For some reason I was trying to visualize it on the other side of the street. I live about a five minute walk from there, so this could be an excellent addition to my little world.
It's where Mantis used to be (and Pasta In, and India 2000, and Miss Saigon, and La Plaza :lol: ) Doesn't bode well, does it?

It's where Mantis used to be (and Pasta In, and India 2000, and Miss Saigon, and La Plaza :lol: ) Doesn't bode well, does it?
Gee, Pasta In isn't there any more? :unsure: Even though I live nearby, I don't walk along that stretch of Columbia Road very often. Also, on the bright side, both La Plaza and Miss Saigon were there for quite a while.

We'll have to see if they successfully meld the bare-concrete-n-walls-of-window aesthetic left over from Mantis with the new tufted-couches-n-bordello-chandeliers look that they were rocking last week before they papered the windows over and I couldn't see in anymore.

Hrmm. Personally, I always thought the buddha at the bar looked rather pissed off to be in such a raucous environment, and thus the closing was inevitable... although clearly the location is somewhat suboptimal, as most foot traffic is on 18th or calvert.

clearly the location is somewhat suboptimal, as most foot traffic is on 18th or calvert.
But a number of restaurants on the south side of the same block have done quite well. El Caribe thrived there for a long time, the Grill from Ipanema has been going for what, 15 years? Omega, as I recall, only folded because of a fire (although I suppose the fire could have been...er...a result of impending failure, but it was certainly popular). The spot where, last I looked, Granja de Oro is now located has had a string of miserable failures, but the thoroughly horrible Rincon Espanol (is it still there?) lasted several decades. The space at the corner of Mintwood and Columbia Rd. is the closest restaurant for most of the Kalorama Triangle; you'd think it would be a pretty good spot. And I do believe La Plaza did pretty well there, and only closed because of the success of Lauriol Plaza (I'm guessing about this).

Hrmm. Personally, I always thought the buddha at the bar looked rather pissed off to be in such a raucous environment, and thus the closing was inevitable... although clearly the location is somewhat suboptimal, as most foot traffic is on 18th or calvert.

Welcome to dr.com, turbogrrl. Namaste.

I'm not convinced that the current atmosphere gives us much insight into what the future holds. There are too many variables and this neighborhood has a real schizophrenic profile. You can promote good food (very few do this and they are the most expensive in the Hood) or sell lots of alcohol (apparently very lucrative). Something similar to BduC within a five minute walk from home will be given every opportunity to become what La Plaza once was: a place you will be happy to eat in and have no qualms about taking anybody you care about.

ETA: Another welcome to Turbogrrl. Hope you will join the LAME DUCKS at something soon.

Oh, Boy! I was trapsing back from the Safeway this afternoon, crossed the street at the usual place, and promptly did a U-turn. The menu is up and several OTHER people (Excuse Me!) were jockeying for position to look at it.

YES!!!!!! MUSSELS!!!!!Three different ways!!!! At two price points. :lol: Steak frites WITH Bernaise sauce for $21.95. Please, please, please be worthy of my patronage. :unsure:

Any word on their days and hours of operation? I'm thinking of scheduling a dinner there for two weeks hence, but if they're closed on Mondays that wouldn't be such a good idea.
When I go to the bank tonight I'll take a glance in to see if they are open.

Any word on their days and hours of operation? I'm thinking of scheduling a dinner there for two weeks hence, but if they're closed on Mondays that wouldn't be such a good idea.
I went out in the cold just to get you an answer. Not that I didn't want to know, too. :lol: They are open EVERY DAY (!), lunch from 11-3, dinner from 5-11. Brunch on Saturday and Sunday. They may not stay open for lunch during the week if business doesn't pick up. They had NO customers today. They take reservations for dinner only. I was given a menu and it seems to be a classic Bistro. The entrees run from $14.95 (for the large portion of mussels) to $23.95 for the rack of lamb. Many salads in $7-8 range, French Onion soup, and both sweet and savory crepes. Interesting desserts.

We really need to organize on outing and see if the cooking can measure up to expectations. The Manager is Dmitri and (Hey, Nadya!) I believe he is Russian. Not that it matters.

ETA: Yes, the same people who own Cafe Bonaparte in Georgetown also own this place. They don't yet have websites up for either place.

I went out in the cold just to get you an answer.
Hurrah! And aren't you sweet :unsure: Now if you could just scan the menu and upload it to menupages, your work will be done :lol:

It's hard to see how they could do much lunch business during the week, although I think La Fourchette is open for lunch every day.

Mr. Buckinghamilton popped in for a quick caesar salad and french onion soup at the bar yesterday and seemd impressed- said the soup was delicious and had a nice brief chat with the bartender. He brought me home a copy of the menu which, if I remember to bring to work tomorrow, I can try to scan. Menu looks good; a few things struck me as a bit pricy, though, for what they are- such as the crepes with lemon and powdered sugar ($8.95, I think), but maybe I've just become out of touch with the dining world after hibernating most of the winter. I'll check it out very soon, as we live right across the street. Thrilled it's finally opened.

Mr. Buckinghamilton popped in for a quick caesar salad and french onion soup at the bar yesterday and seemd impressed- said the soup was delicious and had a nice brief chat with the bartender. He brought me home a copy of the menu which, if I remember to bring to work tomorrow, I can try to scan. Menu looks good; a few things struck me as a bit pricy, though, for what they are- such as the crepes with lemon and powdered sugar ($8.95, I think), but maybe I've just become out of touch with the dining world after hibernating most of the winter. I'll check it out very soon, as we live right across the street. Thrilled it's finally opened.
I don't have the facilities (or knowledge) to upload the menu; so if you can, it would be much appreciated. As far as the prices go, we spent about $9 for some really LOUSY crepes at the Cafe L'Enfant (sp?) at the corner of 18th and Vernon some time ago. Haven't been back. I'll just be happy if the food is better than La Fourchette. It certainly seems to be somewhat cheaper, if less ambitious.

I'll just be happy if the food is better than La Fourchette. It certainly seems to be somewhat cheaper, if less ambitious.
I second that. And I was wrong- the crepes I mentioned above are $6.95, not $8.95, so it does appear to be relatively reasonable. Unfortunately, I'm unable scan the menu, as it's too big for the feeder.

This looks like a job for the LAME DUCKS.

Welcome. Do you happen to be related to this place or a recent diner? Either way can you give us any more info?

I just live nearby.

I ate there Saturday night. Wasn't that impressed. Food was above average (though overpriced for what it is), while the service wasn’t very good.

Called at 7pm, made a reservation for two at 9pm. Showed up on time, was told it would be a few minutes (looked quite busy). Sat at the bar downstairs because there wasn’t any room at the bar. Unfortunately I was waiting for 45 minutes. Had to remind the hostess twice times that I was still there, the second time she told me that I could eat downstairs. I’d normally be fine with that, but there’s no tables downstairs. Just couches and small leather poofs.

We finally got a table at 9:45, waited until 10 for a waiter to come by (I started timing at this point). We asked for bread and water. Waiter brought the water at 10:15, no bread. We asked for bread again, and ordered dinner.

Bread came around 10:25, but without breadplates. We didn’t bother to ask for any (though someone brought by another basket of bread and two saucers (not bread plates?) after we had our main courses). Service stopped being annoying after that.

I had the French onion soup and the ribeye w/mustard sauce. Steak and sauce were very good (not amazing though). Soup was average; nothing special, nothing to complain about; hearty. Fries were good, but again, nothing special. Friend had the steak frites. Good beárnaise, but not much steak (certainly less than my 8oz ribeye).

Had the nutella crêpe, which, while simple (just nutella and powdered sugar, as far as I could tell) was decent. One curious thing about it, though. It didn’t come to the table hot (like crêpes should, right?). So either it sat somewhere for 5-10 minutes, or they don’t make them fresh. IMO, there’s simply no reason for either when you’re paying $9 a pop.

I swear I sound like a finicky, whinging, complaining sort. I’m not. I promise. I enjoyed the meal. I did not enjoy the service. I didn’t think it was worth it (most items are probably 20% too expensive), but I would think about going back for lunch.

One other caveat: when ordering wine, only do it by the bottle (they have a small but decent list). The single glass pours aren’t very generous.

I ate there Saturday night. Wasn't that impressed. Food was above average (though overpriced for what it is), while the service wasn’t very good.
You say it's too expensive; Barbara says it's cheaper than La Fourchette. I have trouble reconciling the two. I could, of course, make a detour on my way home and look at the menu myself, but it's COLD out there. What did you pay for the onion soup, for the ribeye, for the steak frites? I don't know if $9 is expensive for a nutella crèpe, hot or cold, as I pay no attention to things on menus that I have no interest in eating. The service issues will hopefully sort themselves out with a little time. It's good to know that they take reservations and that one might need them, although it sounds as if they shouldn't have taken yours, given the wait you had.

You say it's too expensive; Barbara says it's cheaper than La Fourchette. I have trouble reconciling the two.

From what I remember from browsing the menu (how many of us are there who live within two blocks of this place, anyway?) entrees are in the $20 range. Cheaper than La Fourchette, I think, but still feels expensive for the neighborhood, compared to The Diner, Mama Ayesha's, Bourbon, San Marco, etc. within a radius of a few blocks.

rdg, thanks for the complete first-hand report. I was especially curious about the basement, so it's interesting to hear how they're treating that. Sounds like they may still have some issues to shake out.

OK, so when would the LAME DUCKS want to descend on this place? And, jpschust has a point--forget the weekend. (I walked by this evening, around 7:30 ish and saw that there were quite a few people in there, but they weren't slammed.)

I was thinking that the MOST expensive item on the menu is the rack of lamb, at $23.95. Compare and contrast with 1789, where (I believe), it is $39. It has been awhile since we dined at La Fourchette, but I believe most of their entrees are more expensive. Could be wrong.

I was thinking that the MOST expensive item on the menu is the rack of lamb, at $23.95. Compare and contrast with 1789, where (I believe), it is $39. It has been awhile since we dined at La Fourchette, but I believe most of their entrees are more expensive. Could be wrong.
Well, I stopped by on my way home from work this evening, and had a look at their menu. I think that the ribeye, at $24.95, was actually a dollar more than the rack of lamb. Rack of lamb at $23.95 is a real steal if it's any good and is more than two ribs. I haven't been to La Fourchette in a while, but I think the prices of the two restaurants are broadly in about the same range. That is, pretty inexpensive as French menus go. (I couldn't find a La Fourchette menu anywhere on the Web.) But at Napoleon, mussels (three ways available) are $8.95 for a starter, $14.95 for a main. Sounds good to me. (I asked them to let me take a menu with me, but they declined. They did say that they would have a menu on the Web in about a week.)

For what it's worth, I live about four (albeit mostly short) blocks away.

OK, so when would the LAME DUCKS want to descend on this place? And, jpschust has a point--forget the weekend. (I walked by this evening, around 7:30 ish and saw that there were quite a few people in there, but they weren't slammed.)

Yeah all you AM residents, get there and provide a report so that the rest of us can see if it is worth the trek.

BTW, 1789 is at a completely different level so the comparison is not really relevant.

According to the menu I picked up YESTERDAY, the Rib Eye is $21.95. This is all academic to me: I'm not going to order the steak or the lamb there. When I want steak, we will go to RTC or get the flat iron steak in the bar at Corduroy. I can cook a rack of lamb just fine myself. I am SERIOUSLY interested in the mussels and the crepes. I will be very happy if both are done well. Not to mention the French Onion Soup or any of the salads. I don't believe this will be a "destination" restaurant in any case (La Fourchette NEVER has been in 25 years); a neighborhood joint will do just fine, thank you very much.

According to the menu I picked up YESTERDAY, the Rib Eye is $21.95. This is all academic to me: I'm not going to order the steak or the lamb there. When I want steak, we will go to RTC or get the flat iron steak in the bar at Corduroy. I can cook a rack of lamb just fine myself. I am SERIOUSLY interested in the mussels and the crepes. I will be very happy if both are done well. Not to mention the French Onion Soup or any of the salads. I don't believe this will be a "destination" restaurant in any case (La Fourchette NEVER has been in 25 years); a neighborhood joint will do just fine, thank you very much.
As I say, they wouldn't give me a menu to take with me. I could very well have misread $21.95 as $24.95, peering at the posted menu in the semi-darkness. I rarely order steak in a restaurant myself, although I do when I'm in France. If their steaks come with seriously good frites, I might consider it. I can also cook mussels just fine myself, but like it when someone else goes to the bother. $14.95 for a big bowl, plus another $3.95 for some fries, that's a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned. And I agree, La Fourchette is not a destination restaurant, but I've loved it dearly as a neighborhood treasure, and have said before that in some ways it's my favorite restaurant in Washington. But having another bistro that isn't Bistrot du Coin within a short walk is nothing but nice, assuming the food is any good.

I'm with Barbara. I don't need another $20 plus entree. I need to know why I should go to this place rather than go to Bistro du Coin or cook at home. It's a great thing in the world where there's yet another onion soup spot but, given Fourchette, BdC, Montsouris all withing walking distance and Les Halles, Bistro Francais and LePic within a 10-minute cab-ride, I want to know why this is a place I should go instead of all the other spots. Crepes, maybe.

Not to be negative, but I'm...curious.

I was especially curious about the basement, so it's interesting to hear how they're treating that. Sounds like they may still have some issues to shake out.

It's a bar downstairs. Maybe an "ultra-lounge" or whatever the cool kids call them these days (yuppie factor was through the roof). In any case, the draft beer ($6 40cl Stellas, oof) is only upstairs, which kind of kills it for me.

not to discount your experience, but you ate at a restaurant/bar on a saturday night in Adams Morgan- I wouldn't expect good service then.
I've had a lot better, for a lot less money.
I need to know why I should go to this place rather than go to Bistro du Coin or cook at home.

It's certainly different. Food is a bit better (than BdC, not your cooking). Decor is, well, something else.. (I happen to like it)

What did you pay for the onion soup, for the ribeye, for the steak frites?
I think the soup was $7. $22 for the ribeye, $22 for the steak frites. Lamb a bit more. I don't think the moules come in a giant Belgian-style pot. Probably smaller, thus the lower price.

In any case, other places--esp. Montsouris--are better IMO than Napoleon, even though the portions at Napoleon are somewhat larger.

(how many of us are there who live within two blocks of this place, anyway?)

Don't know. Pleasant neighborhood, no?

It's a bar downstairs. Maybe an "ultra-lounge" or whatever the cool kids call them these days (yuppie factor was through the roof).
I heard that the format is going to be "Upscale Underground" - two words that should never go together. Music will be west-coast and progressive house. Sounds like the kind of place for see and be scenesters.

A visit for two last night had real high points and low points. The blanquette de veau was out of this world, but the coq au vin was disappointing. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful; we should have asked him what he liked before we ordered instead of after, but now we'll know what to get next time. (Barbara, he said to try the "creamy leek" sauce on the mussels.)

It was outrageously loud when we arrived. They've taken steps to un-industrialize the space (big leather couch, new floor) but there is nothing to absorb sound, so it just richochets all over. We were there on the late side and the noise level got back down to tolerable as some of the tables started to empty out. Then it was downright pleasant.

Beers on tap are Stella and Hoegarden.

Bill for two, with two entrees, two drinks, and a crepe, came in around $65 before tip. Not terrible, but considering we paid about the same for a vastly superior meal at Firefly a couple of days ago, certainly not a bargain. We enjoyed the experience enough to try it a couple more times (that was some seriously awesome blanquette) and will see how it goes.

A visit for two last night had real high points and low points. The blanquette de veau was out of this world, but the coq au vin was disappointing. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful; we should have asked him what he liked before we ordered instead of after, but now we'll know what to get next time. (Barbara, he said to try the "creamy leek" sauce on the mussels.)

It was outrageously loud when we arrived. They've taken steps to un-industrialize the space (big leather couch, new floor) but there is nothing to absorb sound, so it just richochets all over. We were there on the late side and the noise level got back down to tolerable as some of the tables started to empty out. Then it was downright pleasant.

Beers on tap are Stella and Hoegarden.

Bill for two, with two entrees, two drinks, and a crepe, came in around $65 before tip. Not terrible, but considering we paid about the same for a vastly superior meal at Firefly a couple of days ago, certainly not a bargain. We enjoyed the experience enough to try it a couple more times (that was some seriously awesome blanquette) and will see how it goes.

I'm amazed you got out of firefly for that cheap- 2 drinks at firefly, about 20 bucks, a dessert about 10 bucks- so there's 30 bucks before entrees. I'm sure it's possible, but it seems on the low side. Usually when two of us have dined at firefly it's been about 140 before tip with a mid range bottle of wine included and no cocktails.

I'm amazed you got out of firefly for that cheap- 2 drinks at firefly, about 20 bucks, a dessert about 10 bucks- so there's 30 bucks before entrees. I'm sure it's possible, but it seems on the low side. Usually when two of us have dined at firefly it's been about 140 before tip with a mid range bottle of wine included and no cocktails.

I admit the comparison is not 1:1 -- we didn't drink at Firefly. I think it was two apps of charcuterie, an entree and a "small plate" [which was not that small], and a [huge, shared] dessert. Didn't intend that to be misleading.

I think Napoleon is trying to be more of a neighborhood place anyway, but as we've talked about above, prices are high for the neighborhood, and the food needs to be excellent to compensate.

I admit the comparison is not 1:1 -- we didn't drink at Firefly. I think it was two apps of charcuterie, an entree and a "small plate" [which was not that small], and a [huge, shared] dessert. Didn't intend that to be misleading.

I think Napoleon is trying to be more of a neighborhood place anyway, but as we've talked about above, prices are high for the neighborhood, and the food needs to be excellent to compensate.

I'll agree with that. Plus if I want comfort food, which is essentially what they are trying to do there, I'll go to Bourbon where the food is cheaper and they have, well, bourbon.

Personally, I'm not very excited about this place and as a LAME DUCK would be very convenient. Have you guys been to Cafe Bonaparte in Georgetown? Napoleon is basically just their second location, with the addition of a more bistro flair apparently - I wasn't aware that Bonaparte had mussels on their menu. I've only eaten at Bonaparte for brunch a few times, and you get slightly better than average food thats way overpriced (duh, georgetown). The only way I end up at Napoleon is if the prices come down or someone starts raving about one of their dishes as a must-try. Otherwise, this branch is not worth it for me, which, as a new place in the hood is disappointing. Just puts more pressure on M'Dawgs to deliver!

Todd Kliman was VERY negative this morning:

The new Napoleon, on Columbia Rd., tastes as bad as it looks. And it looks like a cross between a garish, two-bit Vegas club and an Eastern European bordello. The food? Fries cooked in old oil, an outrageously overpriced steak, and a blanquette de veau that looks as if it came out of a can of Campbell's. Anyway, the wines are good. ...

I have to agree. The wines by the glass really aren't bad, but I found the rest of it to be a shoddy facsimile of a restaurant, and if you look too closely, you'll see the sloppiness of the switchover from Mantis to Napoleon. To be clear, it's much more club/lounge than restaurant--at least on the night I visited. The crowd on a recent weekend night was young, self-consciously stylish and rather loud.

I did like my nutella crepe, but I can't see returning for dinner.

Dame Edna and I made our inaugural foray to Napoleon's for dinner, "Before it closes," he said darkly. We were prepared to be disappointed but surprisingly were not. I did indeed have the mussels "Marinieres." Prefectly large, fresh mussels cooked just as advertized. My only beef is that the Appetizer portion is a whole lot smaller than at BdC and other places and costs about the same. Still, it was just what I wanted. Dame Edna got the French Onion Soup and it appeared just as one would expect: a cheese-covered crock with a beef broth containing caramelized onions and a crouton soaking up the broth. Nothing to write home about, but a perfectly good version of a classic dish.

Both of us got the "Presbourg" crepes which are described on the menu as "crepes a la Stroganoff." ($10.25). These bore NO resemblance to that miserable little crepe I had a couple of years ago and the Cafe L'Enfant ($9). For starters, there were TWO creps on each plate and were stuffed with pieces of beef cooked just like a Beef Stroganoff and folded into quarters. A sour cream sauce was laid out in stripes on the crepes. One of my crepes is in the refrigerator getting ready to be reheated for my lunch today. With the crepes came a small salad of crisp, fresh, lightly-dressed mixed greens with some raw carrot grated on top.

Two apps, two orders of crepes, three glasses of wine: $62 and change (tip not included). Service was attentive, but the crepes came out a little fast. We could have used more time between courses. The busboy was a little too eager to grab our plates. Other than that, we had no complaints about the service. We were allowed to sit wherever we wanted and made the mistake of sitting where, everytime the front door opened, we got blasted with air. If it had been any colder than it was last night, we would have had to move.

In addition to the menu (which is somewhat different from the one I picked up when they first opened), we were given a list of Champagne cocktails and a list of "Lounge" Food--some of the items looked interesting.

This is a place for the LAMEDUCKS to keep an eye on. It certainly isn't a "destination" restaurant for the rest of you, as things now stand.

I had plans to meet someone at Café Napoleon on Saturday evening. I arrived a few minutes early and found a seat at the end of the bar next to the service station. I waited for ten minutes – I promise that is not an exaggeration – for the bartender to greet me and ask for my drink order. During that time I watched him flit about the bar making few drinks but mostly trying to make time with the two attractive women at the other end of this small bar. When he finally decides to grace me with the opportunity to order a drink, I ask for a Delirum Tremins (sp?) and hand him a credit card to start a tab.

That is when the “show” really got going. This Tom Cruise wannabee proceeded to flip bottles and shakers at a dazzlingly annoying clip. I received a phone call from my expected guest indicating that she would not be able to make it this evening. Not wishing to spend another moment with this side show bartender, I placed a $20 on the bar to settle my tab. That twenty sat for fifteen minutes whilst this cocktail circus continued and I grew increasingly annoyed. The music was too loud for anything short of a full-on yell to have gotten his attention, and there were no manager-types in sight.

After finally making his way over to me, he closes my tab and needs to be reminded to return my credit card. In total I spent 45 minutes in this place, 30 of them without a drink and 25 minutes trying to get a bartenders attention on a relatively slow Saturday night.

If I were still in the restaurant business, I wouldn’t hire that guy to make carbon dioxide let alone a drink.