Sushi Taro, Owner Nobu Yamazaki and Chef Masa Kitayama's Superb, Upscale, Japanese in East Dupont Circle

There's not much to add to lackadaisi's post. The meal had its good moments - the first course of sesame seed tofu with sea urchin, and the mirin-marinated fish - but was mostly full of bad, or even inedible, food. And two good moments across a multi-course meal just doesn't cut it.

The more I think about the meal, the more upset, and disappointed, and just ripped off I feel. But rather than get into all of that, I'll just add to lackadaisi's comments on the sushi/sashimi.

I understand that the bad weather of last weekend may have impacted shipments of fresh fish to the restaurant - but I firmly believe that when you're trying to compete at a high level - which Sushi Taro clearly thinks it is - if you don't have access to fresh fish, you don't serve the old fish you do have, the fish that was cut hours if not days ago and tossed into the fridge. You maintain quality, no matter what.

The fact that Sushi Taro served what may well be the worst pieces of sushi and sashimi I have EVER eaten suggests that they haven't yet learned that basic lesson.

A couple friends have commented to me that it sounds like I had a decent meal with a few bad points. I think I may have been too long-winded to quickly and fully convey my feelings about this meal. Although there were some decent elements, it was disgusting, and even two days later, I feel ill thinking about it.

Regardless of the cost, nobody should ever have to eat food as bad as that served to us.

Course six is described as "hassun: assortment of seasonal ingredients." ... The lotus root stuffed with mustard was interesting, but I don't have any desire to eat it again. .... And, there was more, but really all I can remember is the herring roe - it was one of the worst things that I have ever put in my mouth.

I felt the same way about the lotus root the first time I had it, but it actually grows on you, it is a very traditional Japanese dish. As for the herring roe, well that is a taste that is very difficult to aquire - I am not sure that I have aquired it, but I can certainly tolerate it now.

Last night, I had the single worst meal I have ever had at this price point. The service was atrocious, and the food ranged from good to bad to literally inedible. Although it started well, it went downhill quickly.

When the bill, we threw down our credit cards without looking too much. When the time came to sign, we were quite surprised to see that a 17% gratuity had been included. For our party of two. Total bill around $240 (including $25 in drinks). Had anyone asked us on the way out (or at any other time) how our meal had been, we would have gladly told them. They didn't.

All I can say is what a difference a day makes?? Last night my husband and I had virtually the same menu and it made a totally different impression on us. It was our second trip to the "new" Sushi Taro and it was as good as the first. We didn't have the same temperature or quality issues. For example, the oysters in the pickeled salad was lovely. The oysters were sweet and tasted like a fresh sea breeze. The fatty tuna and salmon in the sashimi course were similar to what you might get at other high end sushi places, but the snapper, horse mackeral and sweet shrimp were fresh and full of flavor. I do agree with the comments about the service, that was the low point of our meal. For a meal like this, you really need a server with a strong command of English who can clearly explain what you are getting and how to eat it. Our server's command of English made it hard to understand what she was saying and I am sure much was lost in her translation. But overall, we enjoyed the meal and plan to go back again.

It's unfortunate we caught them on a bad day (and fortunate you caught them on a better one). I've traveled extensively in Japan, eaten kaiseki many times before, and will never subject my stomach to what I unfortunately ate Tuesday night.

Just read the previous chain and am now doubting a reservation I just made. My husband and I loved the "old" Sushi Taro and have not been back since the "upgrade." We have friends that have been for the Omokase and have absolutely raved about it. Not wanting to shell out a minimum of $120/pp but very much wanting to check it out, we are planning to go for the Sushi Tasting Kaiseki ($75/pp) next Friday. Is this a bad decision? Have folks out there had a worthwhile sushi-experience?

A friend has been raving about the pork ramen that's served once a month here, so today I stopped by. WOW. A thick smokey pork broth. I actually thought it might have been a white miso base, given its body and depth, but the waitress assured me otherwise. Served piping hot, I had to let it cool for awhile. Ended up chatting with some nice randoms for about 5 minutes, looked down at my bowl, where a glistening layer of collagin had congealed on top. Don perhaps may not enjoy it this full-bodied, but I thought it was great ($12/bowl).

I also spied a gorgeous sushi platter a table over, and couldn't resist ordering a chef's choice. Sue me, I've been MIA the past 3 months and really wanted a decadent lunch. I got great sushi, great presentation. Sushi Taro is top of my list for a sushi fix now.

A friend has been raving about the pork ramen that's served once a month here, so today I stopped by. WOW. A thick smokey pork broth. I actually thought it might have been a white miso base, given its body and depth, but the waitress assured me otherwise. Served piping hot, I had to let it cool for awhile. Ended up chatting with some nice randoms for about 5 minutes, looked down at my bowl, where a glistening layer of collagin had congealed on top. Don perhaps may not enjoy it this full-bodied, but I thought it was great ($12/bowl).

I also spied a gorgeous sushi platter a table over, and couldn't resist ordering a chef's choice. Sue me, I've been MIA the past 3 months and really wanted a decadent lunch. I got great sushi, great presentation. Sushi Taro is top of my list for a sushi fix now.

1. Is there a way to find out when the ramen is offered?

2. What's the price of the chef's choice platter?

thanks

Friend them on Facebook, they will announce the day before. I hear they only have like 25 orders when they do offer it. The deluxe chef platter I got was $35, they have a regular one for $20. I'm talking about the lunch menu, now. You can also do ala carte sushi, they also have lunch bentos and other lunch combos.

EDIT: now that I look at their FB page, perhaps they offer it more than just once a month. Don't rely on me for any specifics, apparently. Also, getting a reservation that day is a good idea, I lucked out just walking in.

One of the best fine-dining values I've had in this town is, believe it or not, at Sushi Taro. Their kaiseki menu is the marquee draw, and it's expensive, but it's not the reason to go and it's not the thing to order. If you are a fiend for good sushi -- the stuff that's flown in from Japan and justifiably expensive -- get the Omakase Sushi, which appears like a throw-away on the main menu (and does not appear to be on line). It's a generous portion (at least 12 pieces) of the truly good stuff. It's not always for those that don't like the fishy fish: my portion this evening had 5 different types of mackerel (but also included fatty tuna and uni, and on a previous visit, featured tuna instead of mackerel). But it was the best single plate of sushi I've had in this town since . . . the last time I ordered the same deal. At $45 it's a steal.

ETA: In addition to the 12 great pieces, I got 2 average pieces of nigiri, a shrimp and a salmon roe, and eight average pieces of small maki, a tuna roll, which were tasty, but definitely filler. So, it's 20+ pieces, but only 12 worth writing about. Regardless, I left full, and the 12 great pieces were worth the price of admission.

From tonight's menu, posted on their Facebook page - "slow-cooked small conch in umami"

I wonder what that means. The word "in" implies that it's not the flavor they're referring to but a sauce or something? But maybe I'm reading too much into it. Either way, it sounds intriguing...

From tonight's menu, posted on their Facebook page - "slow-cooked small conch in umami"

I wonder what that means. The word "in" implies that it's not the flavor they're referring to but a sauce or something? But maybe I'm reading too much into it. Either way, it sounds intriguing...

Their facebook/twitter feeds seem to be generated in-house. I think it's great that they have someone on the ground connecting with people online instead of some PR firm spitting out canned BS, but I do seem some ESL problems every now and then.

I still don't understand why people rave about the omakase sushi at Sushi Taro --- have these people ever had great omakase in NYC or LA (or Vegas for that matter)? Because frankly this ain't up to snuff. It's okay, don't get me wrong, but it is not fresh-daily super high quality sushi that one gets in top sushi restaurants. It is a poor substitute at 66% of the price.

$40 for $80 Kaiseki tasting menus at Sushi Taro on bloomspot.

Snagged one of these. I'm just wondering if anyone else did and what they're thinking about ordering. The suppon tasting is right up my alley but probably no one else's. The surf 'n turf of wagyu and lobster sounds really good. More importantly, I'd like to know if you're gonna go soon so I can know what's good.

Snagged one of these. I'm just wondering if anyone else did and what they're thinking about ordering. The suppon tasting is right up my alley but probably no one else's. The surf 'n turf of wagyu and lobster sounds really good. More importantly, I'd like to know if you're gonna go soon so I can know what's good.

We had the kaiseiki with another couple in May. The Surf n Turf is a lot of food and they required at least two people to commit - it's essentially the basic kaiseiki with lobster sashimi, waygu shabu shabu, and a few more dessert options tacked on. Whether that's worth an extra $65 on the tab (for two people with tax and tip calculated in) depends on how much at least two of your party would enjoy lobster sashimi (we did) and a substantial shabu shabu (it was late in the meal and could have been a meal in itself, I also found it a bit too sweet for my liking).

For two people eating out, I would push for one basic and one sashimi. Our basic option came with a grilled waygu dish that was very good, and had a very nice variety of food. The sushi option did not have grilled waygu but came with a lot more sushi and sashimi, including some that were not offered with the basic option.

Of course, they could have changed everything since then, so you'll have to doublecheck with the restaurant to see if what I say is still true.

Two thumbs up! *

Sushi Taro 2.0 (re-est. 2009) is the kind of place that should be strongly supported by the dr.com community IMHO.

Up until several years ago, I used to live nearby and occasionally went to ST 1.0 (est 1986) for lunch or dinner, never really being wow'ed by it. I though it kind of mediocre and all too similar to zillions of other Japanese spots around the area.

Three years ago, as is well known, the restaurant was renovated. But, a bit less known (probably just by me), Sushi Taro was also transformed.

I went back this week for lunch. It was my first visit in maybe 4 or 5 years. I hadn't read much about what happened over the past few years since they'd reopened. I wrongly assumed it was the kind of renovation without meaningful improvement in quality or value that happens often.

* It was just a lunch but I was very impressed.

First, VENUE

Again, I know I'm rehashing what has undoubtedly already been much described on this board and elsewhere but, in this case, I wanted to post a reaction without any bias or influence from others. Will go back and read the thread after finishing this writeup and just before I post it.

The space is totally different from what it was in meaningful and better ways. Most importantly, it's calm, sophisticated, welcoming and without the chaos for which it was always knows. Can have a private conversation in one of the comfortable booths or even at a table overlooking 17th St. The large open raucous dining room with crowded tables of ST 1.0 has nothing in common with this place.

Second, SERVICE

Not a true test since it was lunch and not dinner. Also, the restaurant was maybe 1/3 full. But I didn't remember anything about the service in ST 1.0 and that's probably because I just remember it being an overall stressful and not-so-great experience.

My server, Sofy, a member of the family that owns ST, was awesome. So genuinely friendly, efficient, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about answering questions she no doubt has answered dozens of times since they re-opened three years back. I won't spend a lot of words recounting her answers to my various questions about the new version of ST and the underlying philosophy but, suffice to say, it mirrored in every way what I perceived on my own.

Third, POSITIONING

I don't usually write about this when I describe a restaurant but it seems natural here. ST did something very risky (given the bad economy and predictable but unfair pushback on some of the pricing) but also, IMHO, very admirable when it transformed. And, for this reason, I think it very deserving of big-time support.

It transformed from a me-too, mediocre, Americanized Japanese to an elegant and focused authentic Japanese with major emphasis on quality and exceptional sourcing. Of course, with that came some higher prices since sourcing fish directly from the Tokyo fish market will do that. But, the Washingtonian's description of ST 2.0 as "very expensive" strikes me as unfair. There are several ways to eat less expensively here but I'll talk about that more below in value.

There are dozens of places here in our area with not-so-great fish or food at prices low (e.g., Sushi GoRound at Gallery Place) and higher (e.g., some obvious ones in mind here but I don't want to distract from the focus on ST here). Here, with ST 2.0, is a place with excellent fish and food; with warm and effective service. Diners can come here, spend more and have an experience very unique from what else available. Or, can come here and not spend so much and get a very high quality, delicious and affordable lunch or more straightforward dinner.

Fourth, the FOOD

For my admittedly not-so-adventurous lunch, I had:

- Katsu-don ($12): This was the tastiest bowl of katsu-don I think I've had in a long time. Certainly the best I've had in our area but maybe also as good as those I've had on the west coast...if not in Japan itself. Like so many other cuisines, it's a seemingly simple dish with a lot of corners that can be cut. Those shortcuts aren't taken here. First, plump, tasty and generous pieces of pork perfectly fried with a very nicely seasoned, crisp and thin breading. Second, plenty of tender white onion. And, finally, a bowl of quality rice with which to absorb the sauce. This alone would be be a fine lunch for most anyone and, at $12 including a bowl of fresh, delicious miso, it's a super value. Of course, I ordered more to get a better sense for the menu.

- Miso (included): This was excellent because it was freshly made with tender silky tofu and moderately seasoned broth. No overdose on salt. No warming in a pot all day before arriving at my table.

- Pickles (small dish/also included): Really interesting. Very fresh and pickled in a way that still allowed the taste of veggie to come through, complemented and not overwhelmed by the salt and vinegar. Way better than the trendy pickles I had at Momofuku Ssam bar in NYC a few days ago.

- Three a la carte Sushi (total for six pieces: $17.50): I of course had to try some of the fish and kept it pretty simple to better compare to other spots and establish a baseline from which to experiment more in future visits.

* Two pieces of King Yellowtail (@ $7.25) were large, fresh and rich; really enjoyed these.

* My sake was identified on the menu as "Scottish Salmon" and, indeed, was excellent with nice flavor and richness at $6.25 for the two pieces.

* Finally, for kicks, I also ordered a portion of tamago (@ $4) and damn if this wasn't the best tamago I've had that I can remember. First, the rectangles were slightly longer and maybe double the width of what one normally sees. Thick enough to be stuffed with just a bit of the sushi rice. Second, these reminded me more of a freshly made and chilled Spanish tortilla than of the bland, totally homogenous, plasticene blocks I more typically see spinning around on cute sushi conveyor belts (Yo! Sushi upstairs at Harvey Nichols in London comes to mind) or dispatched from a cooler where they'd been placed many hours prior. I could discern white from yolk and, biting into it, knew right away this was a different and thoughtfully done tamago. Whoever made this...and most everything I had...clearly cared about what he or she was putting out.

Fifth, the MENU

I'm excited to head back to ST 2.0 soon with a group to try their kaiseki menu. Sofy let me see the dinner menu and talked me through what they were doing. Three options, priced between $60 and $90/head all sounded mouth watering. One is the traditional. Then a sushi-centered option and, finally, a "surf and turf" with wagyu and lobster. Omikase and a full dinner menu replete with interesting and unusual options round things out. Also, points for transparency. I'd like to see even more of the menu items' provenance made clear but many already are described with region or source.

Sixth and last, VALUE

I write a lot about value here on dr.com and how it's not the same as price. Whether cheap or expensive, a place can be a bad or good value. ST 2.0, in my view, is an excellent value with options that are very affordable OR higher priced. I can't yet comment on the kaiseki but, assuming the quality is similar to what I did try, $60 seems like a very good deal to me. Lunch options like I got or bento boxes and sushi plates can all be had for $12 - $20. And, yes, for business or special occasions, one can do wine, saki or beer pairings and spend more than $100/person. I spent $40 on lunch but basically ordered double the lunch a normal person would have gotten :-)

BOTTOM LINE & POSTSCRIPT (after reading this thread and a few of the reviews of recent years)

Sushi Taro the sequel, newly discovered by me after already being discovered by many, many others over the past 1000 or so days, deserves the support of those who care about the quality of what they're eating and the quality of what they're experiencing. I think Washingtonian (which termed ST 2.0 "very expensive" and even WaPo (agree wholeheartedly with nearly all of TS' review but think he led with and emphasized high prices much more than deserved or accrurate) do this place a disservice by focusing more on the prices of just some of the menu items rather than value. Rather, it's a place with great value at different price points. I think that's what the community on this board values. And that's me. I look forward to getting back for dinner very soon to try the kaisekis...and the omakase...and the ramen written about upthread...and...... And, when I do, I'll then be using the TS, DR, Ericandblueboy, RWBoone, DaRiv18 and all the other perspectives as roadmaps so thanks to all. :mellow:

Had the surf 'n turf kaiseki last night. As mentioned previously, it's alot of food and the order of the food was not optimal. The wagyu shabu shabu was the next to last course (the last course was sushi) - by which point I was already pretty full. No matter how delicious the wagyu is, I was not tempted by the rich and fatty beef. Personally, I think it's a waste to use wagyu for shabu shabu. The lobster sashimi; however, was delicious. They used the entire tail for sashimi, I think. They used the claws for tempura - my claw was so big that it didn't really taste all that good (never liked claw meat anyway). The rest of the kaiseki was very good. Didn't detect any drop-off in quality vs. eating at the sushi bar. Was it worth $110 per person? I don't know but it was really only $90 per person with a Bloomspot certificate. If I do it again, I'd try to do the normal kaiseki and just ask them to add the lobster sashimi.

It took me a little while to warm up to the new Sushi Taro, and it took them a little while to figure out how to meet the demands of the neighborhood without sacrificing the creative vision of the chef, but my last few visits have simply left me glowing.

The $12.95 bento box lunch -- largely unchanged since the makeover -- continues to be one of the best lunch deals in the city. Tempura (four pieces of shrimp and veggie) and a small veggie plate are followed by tempura (four pieces shrimp and veggie), sashimi (six pieces chef's choice) and your choice of sushi, fried oyster, salmon teriyaki and a few other options. A great lunch with warm service in a beautiful, civilized environment... for less than $20, all told. Also, if you're lucky enough to walk in when the ramen lunch special is on, forget the bento box and slurp away. It's delicious.

Their new(ish) happy hour is also an incredible deal. From 5:30-7, Monday through Friday, all of their regular sushi, draft beer and sake by the carafe or small bottle is half-price. Arguably the best sushi in the city for Whole Foods prices. I think I've been twice in the last three weeks. If you go, get there early or go early in the week.

The dinner service is warm, and has of course been extensively discussed upthread, but let me add that the Sashimi Omakase (seated, not at the bar) is a wonderful treat and a good value. Last night I shared one for $75, and it included at least six or seven pieces of sea urchin, a beautiful selection of thinly-sliced scallop, two or three different types of mackerel (some sliced into sashimi, some chopped and seasoned into something like a rough-cut tartar), a rich buri yellowtail, a few pieces of japanese red snapper, four seared pieces of wagyu with scallion, a few lobes of monkfish liver and, I'm sure, other little treats that I've forgotten. With two miso soups and a shared seaweed salad, it was nearly enough for two, but we got an extra roll anyway. Hard to say no.

In a city where you (er, I) can very easily spend $40+ a person on so-so sushi, not spending a little extra at a place like Sushi Taro is just silly.

Alex

Today's lunch special, Hiyashi Chuka (cold ramen) -- cold egg noodle topped with ham, cucumber, tomato, lettuce, egg, red ginger, mustard, vinegar, sesame oil, and soy sauce -- was amazing. That is all.

I organized a pre-theater (I know, I know -- best not to try and have a good dinner pre-theater... ;) ) dinner for 8 here several weeks back. We did the kaiseki with 6 getting the standard kaiseki and two the seafood version. I won't detail the food other than to say most everything was excellent, much enjoyed and consistent with my several other experiences here in the past year or so.

I post for a different reason. To celebrate a mistake or, rather, a response to it that makes me like Sushi Taro even more.

I'd organized the dinner in advance and was clear that we'd arrive at opening and need to be out 2.5 hours later in order to make our show. I asked whether that was possible or even advisable and, only after being assured it wouldn't be a problem, signed on.

We had 7 or 9 (memory a bit foggy) courses planned. For all but the final three courses, pacing was on track with what we'd need and still very attentive and professional. Then something went awry and, after waiting an oddly long time for the 3rd to last course, we had to leave before the final savory course and dessert could be served.

The wait staff were very apologetic and there was some discussion about when we might be able to return to get the final two courses (not a viable solution with some among us coming from well outside the District). Some in the group were very disappointed while others wrote it off. As the organizer, I felt let down after the advocacy I'd demonstrated here as well as to my friends which prompted the dinner. The full bill was paid on four credit cards for the four couples who attended.

No sooner than an hour after we left, while we were at our play, I received an email from my contact at ST.

In it, she apologized and let me know that fair credits were issued to each card because it would be easiest for each couple and not require them to return if they chose not to.

Suffice to say, everyone in the group really appreciated that; me most of all. I expected to have to call the next day to work out a solution. I loved that I didn't have to and that the proactive solution was the best one. A great example of how a mistake (some miscommunication between the kitchen and wait staff) can be made by any restaurant but it's how the mistake is addressed that most drives loyalty and repeat visit. Thanks Sushi Taro--for some great food and for treating us right when things did go a bit awry.

I could take or leave the rest of the restaurant, but the Chef’s Table at Sushi Taro is, in my estimation, the best restaurant in DC right now. The fish has always been stellar, but in the past for me, the cooked dishes have lagged somewhat in both imagination and execution. But not so on Saturday night.

It helped, of course, to have real Japanese Wagyu beef on offer, thanks to the USDA recently relaxing the import ban. Served both as sashimi and in a shabu shabu (with a wonderful red snapper and mushroom broth), it was the most intensely marbled and subtly flavored beef I have ever tasted. But the other cooked dishes, including abalone baked in a salt crust, were equally impressive in their way. Perhaps best of all was the chawanmushi with lobster and uni, remarkable for the clarity of its flavors amid the richness of the ingredients.

The fish was outstanding, as usual. The quality is simply on a higher level than at any other sushi restaurant in DC. The tuna wasn’t the fattiest I’ve ever had here, but it was more than made up for by a parade of superlative fish: arctic char, flounder, snapper, golden thread, bonito, diver scallop, and sweet shrimp.

Of the four or five times I’ve visited the Chef’s Table since Sushi Taro re-opened, last Saturday’s dinner was by far the best and most satisfying. Thanks to the step-up in the cooked dishes, the meal now has greater coherence and consistency. It hits its highs earlier and stays there throughout the evening. Even the desserts, once an after-thought, have improved in both quality and variety. Not inexpensive at $150 per person, but I think it’s the best value of all high-end restaurants in DC, if simply for the quality of raw ingredients alone. And I would humbly submit that the Chef’s Table at Sushi Taro is deserving of consideration of Don’s highest honor, a bolded superlative ranking in the Dining Guide.

And I would humbly submit that the Chef’s Table at Sushi Taro is deserving of consideration of Don’s highest honor, a bolded superlative ranking in the Dining Guide.

I've never been to the Chef's Table proper, but based on my three experiences there with omakase, you're making a very valid point.

Last night, my wife and I dined at the Omakese Counter in Sushi Taro. Executive Chef Masaya took care of us through a spectacular meal that skipped from superlative course to superlative course in a fun and interactive atmosphere.

It has been a long time since I have had a meal this pure, this vibrant, this intoxicating; it really was a revelation. Spectacular.

On a side note, the doors of Little Serow, Komi, and Sushi Taro are separtated by perhaps 50 feet. This has to be among the greatest stretches of dining sidewalk in the country (even if you average in CVS).

Last night, my wife and I dined at the Omakese Counter in Sushi Taro. Executive Chef Masaya took care of us through a spectacular meal that skipped from superlative course to superlative course in a fun and interactive atmosphere.

It has been a long time since I have had a meal this pure, this vibrant, this intoxicating; it really was a revelation. Spectacular.

On a side note, the doors of Little Serow, Komi, and Sushi Taro are separtated by perhaps 50 feet. This has to be among the greatest stretches of dining sidewalk in the country (even if you average in CVS).

You're right about that stretch of sidewalk.

Please post your pictures. Based on what I saw on FB, this omakase menu merits being in Bold, not Italic; I need to go for myself, however, and also find out the specifics of the omakase (is there a special "omakase-only" section of the restaurant?)

The same with Roberto's 4 - are these seats *only* available for Roberto's 4, or can you get the regular menu on other evenings?

I know these are minor details, but they are what defines how I rate things, and also what gets its own thread.

Now that I type this, as much as I hate to say it, "Sushi Bar with Koji" should not have its own thread based on my own criteria - those seats are not dedicated to this omakase, and you can just as easily go there and get a few maki. Hmm, I hate to re-merge this back into the regular Sushi-Ko thread. What to do, what to do.

Omakase is available only at the eight (six?) seats in the back. And you can, I believe, only get omakase there not a la carte. And they don't turn the seats, you make your reservation and you're the only person in that seat that night.

At least that was their stated policy when I last dined there. Incredible experience.

Small world :)

We did the omakase at Sushi Taro on 2/20/13. DCDuck is correct, six seats, in a curtained off space in the back of the restaurant, no a la carte, no turned seats.

We went mid-week for the chance of having the chef to ourselves, and we did, we were the only two people in the six possible seats at the counter.

Chef was engaging and informative. Hard to comment on the food, revelation and spectacular are two good words to start with.

We have gone to Komi for our birthdays/anniversary dinner for the past five years, decided it was time for a change. After Wednesday, I could see us doing Sushi Taro omakase for the next five years...

First off, let me get my bias out of the way.

I don't particularly like fish, but I do enjoy sushi. I have had far too many tasting menus that failed to meet my expectations, so am leery of spending the time and money to experience them; I have stated so here, several times. It was my Anniversary, and I fully understand that a persons mood will skew their perceptions.

That out of the way, it is inconceivable to me that there could have been any meal more perfect than the Omakase counter at Sushi Taro that I experienced last night. Equal to? Sure! Fiola, Ashby, IALW, Rogue24, Oval Room, Palena, CityZen, all may have provided a superlative meal to someone last night.

But better? No chance.

The Omakase Counter at Sushi Taro is a progressive Japanese menu that was far and away the most extraordinary tasting menu I have ever had. My meal was spare. Raw (literally). Exposed. Nothing was done to manipulate the ingredients in order to highlight anything but the ingredients themselves.

I have debated over the day whether it was the best meal I have ever eaten. To that, I am unsure. But it was the most compelling.

I have never been served such pristine seafood in a restaurant before. Hell, there are sea lions that have never seen this! Over the course of four hours, yes four hours, that whizzed by in flashes of superlatives and exclamation points, we were served: sea urchin, tiny squid, baby eel, multiple livers/stomachs/roe, cheeks, toro, wagyu, fugu, hamachi, blah, blah, blah. I had to have 50, yes 50 different preparations of fish, fish parts, and beef.

I attempted to catalog the carnival of delights but about halfway through I stopped paying attention to the cavalcade of treasures and just rolled with it! Most of the time I thought, after eating another revalation, "Wish I would have taken a picture first!"

Rocks posted above that he thought maybe it should be bold after seeing my pictures on Facebook. I could not agree more. Dont have the time to copy and imbed them here, so I made them publicly available. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200329187288157.2192054.1108629166&type=3

This is a very expensive meal, know that at the outset. But it was just amazing. Absolutely amazing.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200329187288157.2192054.1108629166&type=3

• Like 1

How accurate is the following, from the website?:

Our Omakase counter is an
interactive tasting course; Sitting at the Omakase
counter is an educational and fun experience that
does not exist at any other restaurant in the
mid-Atlantic region. The Omakase counter meal comes
with 4 - 6 small dishes, followed by seasonal
sashimi, and sushi. Other than these small dishes,
the pace of the meal as well as what you like and
want is completely up to you. After the Chef
presents the selection of daily fresh fish, you
choose what you would like to eat.

Charges for the counter vary
depending on what is available for your course and
how much you actually eat. The average price for
the Omakase counter meal is $145, (unless you have
huge appetite or you intend to have our most
expensive items!). Even at the maximum price we
have charged, which was $220, Sushi Taro's Omakase
counter experience is an about half of the cost of
a similar experience in New York City.

A few people questioned that
why we do not set a "set price" for our counter
customers. This is not easy to answer, but the main
reason is because we have so many rare items that
you won't find at any other restaurants. The
availability and cost of these items varies
seasonally. We do not want our customers to miss
out on these rare delicacies by creating a
pre-fixed menu. We prefer to interact and get to
know our customers' culinary desires in this
semi-course style.

We take counter reservations
only up to a month in advance to the date (June
10th for July 10th). Generally it is booked a month
in advance. The Omakase counter is closed on
Sundays & Mondays, also closed during "DC
Restaurant Week" in August & January or
February, from Christmas to 2nd week of January,
and on some holidays. Operations start at 7:00PM,
and we do not turnover seats, so there are no other
parties before and after yours. We will take two
parties at a night within our six-seat
capacity.

It is best to enter the
Omakase counter experience with an open and
adventurous mind - your taste buds will be
challenged. Also, due to our style of cuisine,
there will be minor restrictions that we cannot
accommodate, including vegan, non-seafood, and
gluten intolerance who cannot have regular soy
sauce. We will try our best to entertain all other
people with all other dietary
restrictions.

All cancellations made less
than 72 hours before your reservation will be
subject to charge of $30 per seat, and
cancellations made less than 24 hours before your
reservation will be charged $50 per seat. No-shows
will be charged $100 per person.

This is a very expensive meal, know that at the outset. But it was just amazing. Absolutely amazing.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200329187288157.2192054.1108629166&type=3

My memory is failing me. I thought omakase here included unlimited sushi at the end until you threw in the towel. Am I thinking of somewhere else? I scanned comments upthread but can't find anything.

When it first started, it was fixed price and you can pick whatever sashimi or sushi you wanted. There were so many courses though that I never ordered many sushi pieces. I don't know when they went to the priced by what you ate model.

How accurate is the following, from the website?:

Spot on accurate, except for a few things:

1) I was able to get a reservation for a Friday night with 7 days notice. You cannot infer anything from this other than, if you want to go in two weeks just send an email. There are some restaurants that book in a similar 30 day out fashion that I just "know" would not have been able to accommodate me. This was not one of them

2) There is a sake pairing for about $80 a person. I am no sake expert but know more than most (not much) and enjoy sakes. Jin (the sake sommelier) served me three of the best sakes I have ever had. Great.

3) The price range is just what they said it was. We got "everything" and they gave us "everything" and it was priced accordingly. There is absolutely no buyers remorse from this patron; rather, most of my thoughts are "time to rearrange the budget so we can do that again"

4) Six stools. Private room and kitchen. There were four of us (other couple we started chatting with halfway through). The other couple was a regular and were attended to by the owner. We got Masaya, who is the Executive Chef. Masya was excellent, joked with us, deftly answered our multiple questions, was playful, and provided us with just amazing service. Our meal lasted a bit over 4 hours and was riveting. There was something going on the whole time, and I was surprised that it was that long. Money well spent, and time well spent.

My memory is failing me. I thought omakase here included unlimited sushi at the end until you threw in the towel. Am I thinking of somewhere else? I scanned comments upthread but can't find anything.

There is "all you can eat" nigiri sushi at the end and this is the one part of the meal I wish I knew more about. About halfway through, we were presented with 6 or so laquered boxes loaded with seafood. Masa went through each box, explained what it was and where it came from. Thenhe made several more courses (including the infamous Shiroka and a live sea scallop with fleur de sel that was just so damn good). When it was all done, that is when Masa said "choose" for the sushi part. I thought the meal was over at that point and the sushi would be priced per piece. My wife had about 5-7 pieces. I kept going and maybe had 12-15 pieces. I could have had more, but remember thinking that if this is priced ala carte I am going to be broke. There was no surcharge.

I ate so much food but left feeling light and happily sated.

There is "all you can eat" nigiri sushi at the end and this is the one part of the meal I wish I knew more about. About halfway through, we were presented with 6 or so laquered boxes loaded with seafood. Masa went through each box, explained what it was and where it came from. Thenhe made several more courses (including the infamous Shiroka and a live sea scallop with fleur de sel that was just so damn good). When it was all done, that is when Masa said "choose" for the sushi part. I thought the meal was over at that point and the sushi would be priced per piece. My wife had about 5-7 pieces. I kept going and maybe had 12-15 pieces. I could have had more, but remember thinking that if this is priced ala carte I am going to be broke. There was no surcharge.

I ate so much food but left feeling light and happily sated.

This has been my experience, as well, the three or four times I've been to the omakase bar. It's not rigorously priced by what you eat but only, I think, if you cross a certain threshold of quantity. I've never crossed that threshold.

The cooking and the freshness of the food at the sushi bar is impeccable. Whether you'll like it or not is a different story. Last night's dinner started with (1) a grilled tofu (made with sesame seeds?) dish that's slightly charred on the outside and creamy on the inside, top with fresh wasabi and a couple of fermented but firm soybeans. The flavor is quite interesting. (2) Next course was baby squids with greens. The squids were tender, almost mushy in texture. The flavor is rather unusual as well. (3) The third course was a fresh flounder, still swimming as of earlier in the day. The texture of the flesh is firm because of the freshness. In addition to thinly sliced meat, there's piece of muscle that's kind of chewy, a piece of crunchy fried skin, and a small chunk of liver. (4) The fourth course was grilled wagyu wrapped around sea urchin - this was a very tasty dish. As if the sea urchin wasn't rich enough, they added a piece of fat disguised as beef. (5) The fifth course was a combo platter, starting with piece of whelk, gingko nuts (stuffed with shrimp paste? - whatever it was I didn't care for it), fish liver mousse, a piece of sushi wrapped in bamboo leaves (I forgot what the fish was but the rice had absorbed the flavor of the bamboo, which is the predominant flavor of the sushi), a piece of tuna with greens and citrus dressing, and a piece of arctic char wrapped in daikon. (6) Next was the sashimi course with six boxes - box 1 was CA and ME uni, raw shrimps and fish roe, box 2 were salmon, including a piece of white salmon (it looks like other salmon until you cut it open - 1 in 20,000 or so salmon is white, like an albino), box 3 were the silver fishes, including aji (mackerel), box 4 were tunas, box 5 were (IIRC) snappers, and box 6 were octopus, eel, fish liver, giant clam, and egg. I think I had both unis (I prefer CA), the white salmon (didn't taste like salmon at all), aji, both types of raw shrimp (surprisingly sweet), otoro, octopus, eel, a small bowl of amazing fish liver, needle fish, salmon roe, and some nasty giant clams. (7) Sashimi was followed by bamboo shoots and milt (not my cup of tea). (8) The next course was fried fish (bonito, iirc) with some dried fish roe on a piece of daikon. The roe was quite salty and I used it like salt on the fish and the combination was wonderful. (9) was sushi. At this point I was already stuffed and pretty buzzed from soju and sake. I don't know what the food vs. booze cost was but the total with tax (tip not included) was $237 per person. I might have missed a few things I ate (due to tossing back some really smooth soju and sake). Steve ate many more sashimi dishes than me, including one of the scallop that was sitting in a bowl on the counter as we sat down.

post-4391-0-82479100-1365278974_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-51660500-1365278988_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-48780300-1365279014_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-93421900-1365279034_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-91178400-1365279062_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-40963300-1365279149_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-30260500-1365279174_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-69832000-1365279197_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-94972800-1365279218_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-49397600-1365279233_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-73186200-1365279252_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-16642500-1365279271_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-58581700-1365279288_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-86735000-1365279304_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Ok, looking at your pictures, you guys had an amazing meal (that flounder looks particularly tempting & the uni wrapped in wagyu). How am I going to go eat sushi at Tanpopo? Maybe I just need to wipe this from my memory.

& actually, when you look at it, that's a lot of food (even the piece of grilled tofu seems a bit large), how did you avoid food fatigue? I find as I am getting older, I love multiple tastes of things, but can't really eat & enjoy the quantities I use to put away happily in my youth. Still, with dishes like this put in front of me, I'd be happy to try...

I actually don't think I got my money's worth (I should've ate more). Steve, on the other hand, ate like a champ. Not sure if it's food fatigue or anything other than I'm just a lot less enthusiastic about Japanese food in general than Steve, which enthusiasm and taste he acquired from having lived in Japan. Alcohol also puts me to sleep.

Was #8 Bonito or Artic Char? I thought that it was the weakest offering of the night.

I actually don't think I got my money's worth (I should've ate more). Steve, on the other hand, ate like a champ. Not sure if it's food fatigue or anything other than I'm just a lot less enthusiastic about Japanese food in general than Steve, which enthusiasm and taste he acquired from having lived in Japan. Alcohol also puts me to sleep.

Yes, I did get my money's worth!

I don't know what the food vs. booze cost was but the total with tax (tip not included) was $237 per person. I might have missed a few things I ate (due to tossing back some really smooth soju and sake). Steve ate many more sashimi dishes than me, including one of the scallop that was sitting in a bowl on the counter as we sat down.

We were drinking $100+ bottles of Sake, so the price is not representative of what most people would pay. The scallop was delicious, plus the Tokyo style omlet (made with ground shrimp) that I got when I asked for dealers choice on my last few pieces of sushi was the best egg dish I have ever eaten. I think that I am going to have to make another reservation soon.

• Like 1

Thank you for your interest for our Omakase counter.

The date you are requesting is available.

Please advise us following necessary information for your reservation.

1) reachable phone number

2) any dietary restrictions in your party (please note that we cannot accommodate Vegan, non-sea food eater, and gluten intolerant who cannot have soy sauce)

3) credit card number & expiration date to guarantee your reservation (please use some of numeric number as a letter for security reason. Sample: (0 = o, 1 = i, 2 = z, 3 = E, 5 = s, 6 = b, 8 = B, 9 = q), or simply you can use some numbers in word (1 = one) and if you want do this perfectly, then please delete 3) whole explanation line on your reply.

4) if you don't mind, please tell us what made you interested to try our Omakase counter

Your reservation for Omakase counter will be confirmed with your reply.

Note: if you are not providing all requirements, then we will not take your request seriously.

Thank you,

Sushi Taro

Jin Yamazaki

• Like 1

Putting aside the dinner omakase for a moment, I had the Bara chirashi for lunch the other day . . . and it's by far the best chirashi I've had in town. A bit steeper than most at $18.50 or so, but worth it -- impeccably fresh, and a generous serving, even apart from the chawanmushi that comes with it (also very refreshing).

Delightful lunch at the bar here today, the first time for me since their reconfiguration. I had the Sushi Jo set, which is a "chef's favorite" selection of about 10 nigiri with a small tuna maki. The server told me that one of the nigiri was from a relatively rare white tuna they had got in from the Philippines recently. It and everything else were as close to flawless as I've tasted around here. The texture and flavor of the rice were perfect, the wasabi discreet, the fish absolutely fresh. The accompaniments--miso soup and a simple potato salad with green beans--were delicious and well balanced. As I found myself still nursing a bottle of sake after this meal, I sliced caution and my budget through the belly and ordered the Kobe roll. Thin slices of beef and avocado form the outside in a pattern that reminded me of old French book bindings, with crisp asparagus, capers, and rice inside, topped with a garlic chip. It was beautiful to look at and insanely delicious. Given the various ingredients it could have been a mess in lesser hands, but here it was a masterstroke. What a great lunch!