Expensive Wines

Joe H

:angry: IYRC you rememeber for sure the difference in a horrible wine and a terrific wine, ie) 93 was a bomber in bordeaux, and drinks very thin, and 95 was a knock out and drinks wonderfully. problem is Pontet Canet is a good producer, try one from something like Lynch Moussas, or Grand Puy Lacoste or Ducasse and get a BANGER!!! if you are looking for an old world CULTY, look to the Burgs, and drink Rousseau, or Roumier, or for the rich at heart DRC's "the spot". or flow down to the Rhone and do the La La thing. these are wines that get the points now, but the real winners were in the 80s.. that is the appreciaters cult sector. fly by the seat of your pants and find what you like, not the seat of the RP driver. find your point scale and do the right thing

I have a definition problem here. When I think of "cult" wines I think of obscure, new and definitely outside the old definitions of top of the pops. Sure, DRC is great, but their wines aren't cult, they're Grand Cru Burgundies -- it's like being the Beatles: a great band but hardly a cult band. I'd think more like one of those Right Bank "garagistes," not some first growth that even I've heard of, or something in California that costs $300/bottle but it doesn't matter because you can't buy it anyway. Harlan, rather than Caymus, say, even though Caymus regularly does as well or better in the Bobbie Parker Primary. Isn't obscurity and unavalabilty (more than expense or quality) the key to "cult?"

Assuming you mean th Guigal bottling...a friend of mine tasted this and said it was the woodiest wine he'd ever tasted.

Tell him to try 2003 La Doriane sometime.

Everything is relative, I suppose, but there's something about this being unidentifiable as Viognier that seems to underscore the problem.

Cheers,

Rocks.

:angry: IYRC you rememeber for sure the difference in a horrible wine and a terrific wine, ie) 93 was a bomber in bordeaux, and drinks very thin, and 95 was a knock out and drinks wonderfully. problem is Pontet Canet is a good producer, try one from something like Lynch Moussas, or Grand Puy Lacoste or Ducasse and get a BANGER!!! if you are looking for an old world CULTY, look to the Burgs, and drink Rousseau, or Roumier, or for the rich at heart DRC's "the spot". or flow down to the Rhone and do the La La thing. these are wines that get the points now, but the real winners were in the 80s.. that is the appreciaters cult sector. fly by the seat of your pants and find what you like, not the seat of the RP driver. find your point scale and do the right thing

I think trying wines from friends whose palates you trust is another great way to find wines you might like or love. Such was the case when a friend popped a Groffier 2001 Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureues a few years ago. OMFG it was so good. I agree thusly that it's best to trust your own tastebuds.

I think trying wines from friends whose palates you trust is another great way to find wines you might like or love. Such was the case when a friend popped a Groffier 2001 Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureues a few years ago. OMFG it was so good. I agree thusly that it's best to trust your own tastebuds.

I love Groffier's wines and buy all I can get. Hubert Lignier is another one who can do no wrong. As Waitman pointed out, though, these are high-end delicious small quantity Burgundies, not exactly cult wines.

the key to cult, is being an elitists, whther you dwell on home turf or foreign turf. the way into the club is by shere habit of the price scale you put yourself in and the amount of wine that you make and the ableing ability and "toughness" it takes to get the wine.. life time mailing lists... cali has a slew of them.. the real culty wine of france, besides saying that grand cru burgunudy is culty, it is more a club there and a loyal following, is back to bordeaux and with Le Pin.. then back to the Us and looking at The single vineyard wines of Rochioli, or the Tychson or herb lamb of Colgin. setermining a cult is jsut a poor way of saying you drink the wine because you have toom uch money and you really dont know better to choose something worth an adventure. though the ones previously mentioned are KILLER, and no fowl mouthing towards them or its drinkers, but for the day to day guys, those are our Unicorns :angry:

In some ways, cults are best described as small production wines with closed allocation lists that sell for a whole bunch more on the secondary market than they do if you are so lucky to be on the allocation list. Screaming Eagle, Bryant Family, Araujo and Harlin are in this category (although they may fall out with expansion). SNQ is probably there too, as was Turley at one time.

On the other side are small production wines that are not at that stage, but are hard to get except thru the winery (and from an east coast perspective, there are a lot of CA wines that fit into this category) such as Kosta Brown, Littori, Loring, Bonaccorsi, ROAR, Peter Michael, Match, etc. that may well make it to that category as some point.

If anyone needs any Araujo, I have plenty... Pick a vintage, any vintage.

for sure.. didnt you all do a dinner featuring araujo? back to like 92? or was it farther? the 93 is my favorite. how about the Syrah.. that is a smoker of a wine. best part about araujo is that they dont paly the CULT alcohol bit. WTF, 14.5% pushes the bar for me,, i have found afew pinots recently and have for sure been looking to find ones under 14% ,, so far only two have ben succesful. how about the rest of you

for sure.. didnt you all do a dinner featuring araujo? back to like 92? or was it farther? the 93 is my favorite. how about the Syrah.. that is a smoker of a wine. best part about araujo is that they dont paly the CULT alcohol bit. WTF, 14.5% pushes the bar for me,, i have found afew pinots recently and have for sure been looking to find ones under 14% ,, so far only two have ben succesful. how about the rest of you
Yeah, we did a dinner back in December. Seven courses, nine vintages. 93 through 01. One of the guests brought in an 02 so actually we did 10 vintages. They were pretty amazing. We should do another one...

I have overpaid for wines in restaurants. But, when I look back on those moments, it is actually a somewhat bargain, given percentages at least, for wines I have tried off the list where I've felt indulgent. Gotta keep part of your brain on the numbers while you peruse those 500+ bottle lists, I always say.