goldenticket

Sugar Shack Donuts - Rob Krupicka Brings Richmond-Based Donut Chain to the DC Area

6 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

Tried some donuts this weekend in Alexandria, not sure what the hype is about.  Granted, we got them around 3:00pm, so they were probably 5 to 9 hours old, but my chocolate glazed donut did not taste like much of anything.  Plus, these donuts are huge.  I have to agree wtih Simul Parikh's family, I prefer Dunkin better (as well as Krispy Kreme, District Doughnuts, Duck Donuts, and the late-but-great Fractured Prune).

I had the same exact feeling when I tried their donuts a while back...meh.  Both the Alexandria and DC location.  Maybe if you go first thing the morning they are fresher, and might taste better?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

Tried some donuts this weekend in Alexandria, not sure what the hype is about.  Granted, we got them around 3:00pm, so they were probably 5 to 9 hours old, but my chocolate glazed donut did not taste like much of anything.  Plus, these donuts are huge.  I have to agree wtih Simul Parikh's family, I prefer Dunkin better (as well as Krispy Kreme, District Doughnuts, Duck Donuts, and the late-but-great Fractured Prune).

I agree. It's the toppings (like bacon) that make this place popular. The donuts are meh.

Ok, I will admit, I am not a big doughnut person.  I will eat a VERY fresh Krispy Kreme from time to time.  I do love a freshly made, glazed or chocolate covered yeast, homemade amish doughnut too.  I like the whole wheat blueberry cake doughnut at Dunkin.  That's about it, except, I really like the seasonal fruit cake doughnuts at Sugar Shack.  But I admit not a doughnut connoisseur by any means.

46 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Ok, I will admit, I am not a big doughnut person.  I will eat a VERY fresh Krispy Kreme from time to time.  I do love a freshly made, glazed or chocolate covered yeast, homemade amish doughnut too.  I like the whole wheat blueberry cake doughnut at Dunkin.  That's about it, except, I really like the seasonal fruit cake doughnuts at Sugar Shack.  But I admit not a doughnut connoisseur by any means.

The Amish doughnuts at Burkholders in Sharpsburg are outstanding (I think the family is Mennonite).  Best I've ever had.  They also have excellent breads, pies, and pepperoni rolls.  Out-of-the-way, though, unless you're going to Shepherdstown, Harper's Ferry, Antietam or some of the orchard markets on 64 or 66.

• Like 1

I do not think of myself as a donut connoisseur, either.  I do have some bias here, I cannot burn off the calories like I used to.  So, am more apt to condemn an oversized, tasteless donut than, say, a poorly extracted glass of kale juice.  So, if my review of Sugar Shack seemed a bit harsh, it's because not only did I dislike the donut, I also disliked myself for several hours after eating it. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

I do not think of myself as a donut connoisseur, either.  I do have some bias here, I cannot burn off the calories like I used to.  So, am more apt to condemn an oversized, tasteless donut than, say, a poorly extracted glass of kale juice.  So, if my review of Sugar Shack seemed a bit harsh, it's because not only did I dislike the donut, I also disliked myself for several hours after eating it. 

I nominate this for best post of the month.

Sometimes I am the jackass at the office that cuts the doughnut in half.

19 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Sometimes I am the jackass at the office that cuts the doughnut in half.

Jackass? I thank the universe for people like you who keep people like me from eating a whole donut!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1