Dogfish Head 120 IPA substitute

lion

Searching for a substitute to Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA? Really enjoyed the high ABV and taste earlier this summer.

Looking for something similar kinda of reminds me of how hard it was to find a substitute for Thomas Hardy Ale.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

You might want to try DuClaw Colossus, which has nothing in common with 120 other than being a 12 oz bottle and a 17%+ ABV.  The Avery Rumpkin and PumpKYN were also 15%+ and in 12 oz bottles.  And while I'm not familiar with their entire lineup, Brewdog takes pride in bumping up the ABV on their beers to extreme levels.  They might have an IPA that fits the bill.

Agreed that you should probably look into barleywines.  120 Minute is kind of it's own animal in that there is nothing that really matches it in the Imperial IPA category, although take your pick of IIPAs that weigh in at the 10-12% range and are awesome in their own right.  Also look at Belgian-style quadrupel ales.  There are a lot of US breweries putting out good examples these days; check out offerings from The Bruery in particular.  Firestone Walker's Stickee Monkee is great, but I'm not sure it's available in bottles in this area.  For actual Belgian offerings it's hard to top St. Bernardus Abt 12 (a "clone" of the legendary Westvleteren 12).

Note that none of these will have the assertive hop characteristics of 120.  The higher you climb the ABV ladder the more malt forward things become.

• Like 1

I tried the Avery Rumpkin and PumpRyn and throughly enjoyed both, slightly preferring the Rumpkin. Picked up a Double Jack but haven't had the occasion to try it out yet. Thankfully, was able to pick up a couple more 120s this past week, looking forward to having them at Thanksgiving.

Agree the 120 is it's own animal. I wonder how long it will kept for if I decide to stock up in the future. Tom Hardy(s) grew in taste for 5-6 years and then started to become 'milky' for lack of the proper term on my part.

I did my stint with the Belgians, TedE, but thanks for the reply. They are definitely similar in a high ABV helping to drive the umph of the beer. For some reason at the moment the 120s just are really enjoyable to my taste more than the Westvleterens.

• Like 1