Dinner AT the show

beezy

I am inspired to write because I got the best damn simple chicken breast sandwich at the State Theater a few weeks ago with quite nice fries - all pulled out of a warming oven. It was just a chicken breat on a roll, but it was the size of my head, juicy, tender, and nicely cooked, a rarity even at nice restaurants.

So, who else has good food in their theaters? Of course it's not as a nice as a real restaurant, but it's better than Chili's. And, sometimes, you just can't make the pre-theater dinner....

I have:

- the State - has a full sit down cafe that you can reserve seats for an watch the show. In addition to chicken sandwiches, it has a nice pulled pork, and some decent salads.

- the Birchmere - salads and a roast chicken

Menu: http://www.birchmere.com/food_menu.cfm

- Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse - a greek salad with or without chicken, and a green salad with dried cranberries (sandwiches and pizza are good in a nasty way. Not a good eatin' kind of way.)

- Clyde's on the walk, next to Verizon - has an astoundingly good takeaway menu that's super cheap. I got a fennel-crusted roast pork tenderloin sandwich with spicy rapini for $5.95 (again, big as my head). They also have beef and chicken hot sandwiches, good looking salads, and a seafood chowder that got high marks from Mr. Beezy ($3 for a big take out cup)

Menu: http://www.clydes.com/main/MenusList.cfm?R...des_on_the_Walk

- Shakespeare Theater - cookies from Love Cafe, as well as some suprisingly good 'ginger Bards' (Shakespeare-head shaped gingerbread)

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to eat any food from the 9:30 club. Not even drunk. You will regret it. And the excrable Food For Thought moved from Dupont Circle to the Black Cat Club, with no change in the food quality.

I have eaten at the Birchmere and found the food OK for a nightclub.

The Shakespeare improved its service immeasurably when it started taking drink orders for intermission. The food used to be provided by the Olsson's cafe - not sure where it comes from now.

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to eat any food from the 9:30 club. Not even drunk. You will regret it. And the excrable Food For Thought moved from Dupont Circle to the Black Cat Club, with no change in the food quality.

I have eaten at the Birchmere and found the food OK for a nightclub.

Wow - really? If there's one place where I can't stand the food, it's the Birchmere. It's mass (poorly) produced food that's way overpriced. At least the 9:30 Club food is more or less freshly made and relatively inexpensive. I don't mind their wraps and sandwiches, although they tend to be a little dry.

There are so many options around the 9:30 that it's rare that we ever eat the food at the Club. Oohs and Aahs, Dukem, Tropicana, etc.

Besides, food just soaks up the buzz.

ps....fwiw - there's a sign up on the building just down the road from Ray's The Classics. It's for the new Silver Spring Birchmere, opening in 2008. At least I know where I'll be getting my pre-show meals from there!!!!

Wow - really? If there's one place where I can't stand the food, it's the Birchmere. It's mass (poorly) produced food that's way overpriced.
My experiences might be a little dated as it's been at least two years since I went to a show there.

The Birchmere coming to Silver Spring is very cool, and yes, no need to have dinner at the show. :)

Wow - really? If there's one place where I can't stand the food, it's the Birchmere. It's mass (poorly) produced food that's way overpriced. At least the 9:30 Club food is more or less freshly made and relatively inexpensive. I don't mind their wraps and sandwiches, although they tend to be a little dry.
Jlock and I had our standard pulled pork sandwiches from the Birchmere on Sunday, and they were not good, but fine. Mass produced and reheated, but there was a bit of extra bbq sauce on them so they were not dry. Given that I tend to arrive no later than 4:30, we have little choice but to eat there. And, we don't hate it.

Haven't been in a while, but I used to really like the food at Iota.

The soft tacos at the Improv are edible.

Had some decent snacks at the Strathmore somewhat recently.

I have never even considered eating the Food Food at 9:30 club. Although I must pride the 9:30 club on the cleanliness of the facility.

I wish there was some food at Constitution Hall because there isn't really anywhere nearby to eat.

Bazin's seems to work very well for a night at Wolftrap.

Iota's the best of any place we've been to around here, but that's faint praise given the other candidates. I can't remember the last time we went to the Birchmere and got something other than nachos, it's been at least 3 years since I ate food from the 9:30 Club (although I don't remember it being bad, just 'meh'), and the whole concept of food from the Black Cat scares me.