Craigslist and Washington City Paper

Kanishka

This ad has to be a joke, right? Craigslist? Yeah, I know its free, but so are the classified ads at DR.com. And the obnoxious lack of nettiquette.... shudder.

No joke. craigslist is a legit way to do classified ads on the internet. Looks like its pretty widely used.

click me

Edited by FunnyJohn

No joke. craigslist is a legit way to do classified ads on the internet. Looks like its pretty widely used.

I've used Craigslist to find roommates and buy furniture... but I never thought a Georgetown restaurant would use it to attract staff. Wouldn't it be smarter to cherry pick from other restaurants in DC? At least that way you're guaranteeing experience -- which, from the looks of it, is what this place needs.

I regularly scan CL's employment -- not just when I was looking for work, but still do. It's a great way to keep abreast of who's hiring (and who's left) -- basically it gives a good indication of movement in the Biz. I have also recommended friends to the listings, both looking for work, and for new hires.

I regularly scan CL's employment -- not just when I was looking for work, but still do.  It's a great way to keep abreast of who's hiring (and who's left) -- basically it gives a good indication of movement in the Biz.  I have also recommended friends to the listings, both looking for work, and for new hires.

Haha, even Palena is getting in on the action!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/ret/80422588.html

I can't help but get a laugh out of this ad for a server at 15 Ria. Highlights:

QUALIFICATIONS

· Requires 6th grade math level.

· Requires 6th grade language level.

I'm envisioning a restaurant staffed with recently graduated elementary school students.

PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS

· KNEELING/CRAWLING: Occasionally. Clean, stock supplies.

· STOOPING (BEND AT WAIST): Occasionally. Write orders.

· FINGERING/FEELING: Frequently. Write orders, operate POS machine, garnish plates, fold napkins, set table with silverware.

Kneeling, crawling, and stooping before customers to avoid mention of restaurant in Tom's weekly chats? Fingering? :lol: I knew restaurant staff can get a little frisky with one another, but yikes-- keep your hands away from my food!

USE OF SENSES

· SMELL: Constantly. Detect potential hazards and odors.

I wish this had been specified in the job description of the waiter who brought a reeking plate of mussels to a table I recently sat at with a few fellow Rockwellians.

Edited by Al Dente

I'm envisioning a restaurant staffed with recently graduated elementary school students.

Kneeling, crawling, and stooping before customers to avoid mention of restaurant in Tom's weekly chats? Fingering?  :lol:   I knew restaurant staff can get a little frisky with one another, but yikes-- keep your hands away from my food!

I wish this had been specified in the job description of the waiter who brought a reeking plate of mussels to a table I recently sat at with a few fellow Rockwellians.

This is funny too:

USE OF SENSES (continued)

· COLOR VISION: Frequently. Recognize color differences between various drinks and colored linen. Quality control.

· FULL FIELD VISION: Constantly. View department and other areas of hotel.

· OTHER: Occasionally. Sense of touch needed in handling hot plates.

What dumbass is going to touch a plate and not realize it is hot?

Kneeling, crawling, and stooping before customers to avoid mention of restaurant in Tom's weekly chats? Fingering?  ;)   I knew restaurant staff can get a little frisky with one another, but yikes-- keep your hands away from my food!

Yeah, and how 'bout a mention of knowing how and when to wash hands :lol:

This is funny too:

USE OF SENSES (continued)

· COLOR VISION: Frequently. Recognize color differences between various drinks and colored linen. Quality control.

· FULL FIELD VISION: Constantly. View department and other areas of hotel.

· OTHER: Occasionally. Sense of touch needed in handling hot plates.

What dumbass is going to touch a plate and not realize it is hot?

I would guess that 15 RIA either had a problem with an ADA issue and the definition of essential functions of the job or someone from 15 RIA recently attended a conference. They've gone overboard to an extreme, but it does help them explain to the blind, handless person who has lost their sense of smell that no reasonable accomodation will allow them to perform essential functions of the job.

But it does look a lot like a document created on an April first.

I see nothing mentioning respiration.  Do you think they would hire the dead or undead if the other qualifications are met?

"Our specials are a starter of Malpeque oysters with yuzu espuma, and our entree special tonight is braaiiinnns!!!"

I would guess that 15 RIA either had a problem with an ADA issue and the definition of essential functions of the job or someone from 15 RIA recently attended a conference.  They've gone overboard to an extreme, but it does help them explain to the blind, handless person who has lost their sense of smell that no reasonable accomodation will allow them to perform essential functions of the job. 

But it does look a lot  like a document created on an April first.

This was my immediate reaction. This ad sounds like it had some input from a lawyer.