Destruya

Clarity "Freestyle American Bistro" in Vienna - Chef de Cuisine Nick Palermo Comes from Barrel & Crow

Just all around solid execution as always at Clarity. Soft shell crab ($16) - with ramps! - was crab-forward (as opposed to tempura batter-forward) and the charcoal-grilled bavette steak ($31) - with ramps! - was as good as I've had lately, with some seriously remarkable potato puree that was the smoothness of premium ice cream but without feeling heavy or chewy like aligot.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some of the really interesting-sounding events they have coming up. Full disclosure, I've never been to one, but they sure sound enticing:

Vegetarian / Vegan Tasting Room Pop Up: Schedule your vegan tasting menu for Saturday June 2nd ($105 all inclusive). 6 new dishes coursed into a tasting menu.

Friday May 18th “Pappy Hour” I know it sounds ridiculous, but we only live once!! Small plates style tasting, come anytime between 5-7pm: Pappy 10 & 12 + Whistle Pig Black Prince Boss Hog / $225 all inclusive.

Friday May 18th @7pm: All Italian Wine Dinner $168 all inclusive. Oh man, are we going to go all out Italian tonight!!

Saturday May 19th @7pm $168 all inclusive: Whiskey and Bourbons from Across the USA Tasting Dinner . Small batches from VA, CO, KY, UT, NY, TX, CA. Purchasing these special spirits as we speak.

Friday June 8th @630pm: Myself and Victor Mendez, Owner of the Vienna Vintner – cooking and wine drinking together for a great dinner / $190 all inclusive. Nothing better than cooking with The Wine King of Vienna!! This is the first of many collaborations with my good friend.

Scotch and Paired Small Plates Tasting “Drop in” Wednesday June 13th / $80 all inclusive. Bringing back this informal tasting format at the bar. But don’t be fooled, we are tasting some very serious scotches. Come anytime from 5-9pm. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DanCole42 said:

Just all around solid execution as always at Clarity.

Look at what I saw today (sorry if you can't see it).

3 hours ago, DanCole42 said:

I can't. :( What is it???

Friend Jonathan. "Japanese Miyazaki cattle grade A5 of 5 / Marble scale 12/12. (with picture)"

Any recent happy hour experiences at Clarity.  It is mentioned on their web page but no information.  Does it exist?

50 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Any recent happy hour experiences at Clarity.  It is mentioned on their web page but no information.  Does it exist?

Yes.  It is definitely happy hour between lunch and dinner service.  When I asked Victor at the bar he said it runs through 7pm.  I have been there several times between 3pm and 5pm and it exists.  Discounts on select wines and beers all at $7.  Small menu of about 5 or six items of the type you might see on the lunch menu presented more simply and typically without much in the way of sides.  All are also $7.  Pricing is current as of about a month ago being the last time I was there.  BTW, if they have the Braised Halibut Stew on the happy hour menu and you do not order it you have no one to blame but yourself.  You are on notice.

I believe Virginia law prohibits advertising happy hour specials outside of the establishment itself, which is probably why the web site provides few details.

• Like 1

You were absolutely right about clarity.  Small but great selection of happy hour beverages and nibbles.  Victor is a gem of a bartender and I can't wait to go back for a proper cocktail. We sat at the bar at 6:15 and the place was slammed by 7pm.

• Like 1

Had a wonderful and interesting meal here on Tuesday night.  The place was completely packed when I arrived at 7:15, including the private room which had a party of probably 30 in there.

As usual, the menu was filled with interesting dishes and ingredients.  I ordered the foie gras app 1) because I love it and 2) because I feel duty bound to order it whenever I see it on a menu to encourage the chef to keep "weird things" like that on the menu.  It was nice size piece of meat, but I must admit it wasn't nearly as tender and creamy as the much smaller piece that was in a dish at Cranes (more on that later).

We also had the rockfish with fiddleheads and morels (again with the special ingredients!!) and the lamb leg marinated in miso and herbs.  Both dishes were great.  The lamb was super tender and served in slices off the bone.  Photos of the foie and rockfish are below, (the lamb wasn't all that photogenic).

All in all it was a high end "downtown" meal out in the 'burbs.  Message to Clarity:  please open another place in Alexandria!!

clarity1.jpg

clarity2.jpg

• Like 2

FYI, Clarity has gone full take out like many places. If you visit their website, you'll see the menu for the current day. The focaccia pizza sounds nice to me, though I think his thought that a quarter sheetpan serves 3-4 is a bit optimistic. :)

I'm hoping I might be able to go by later this week.  

• Like 1

I thought this was just going to be a crappy corona-birthday, but we celebrated by ordering from Claritytogo.com. It was just wonderful!  We opted for the 3 course dinner for $35 which is a great deal. The menu changes a bit day by day, but if they have halibut, I would definitely recommend it. Our fish dish included gnocchi, beets, and spinach and was delicious. Actually everything was really flavorful. They provide great dinner rolls. We received an extra birthday dessert as well. And they gave us cute little cookies which we haven't eaten yet. I'd strongly recommend as the ordering, pick up, everything was super easy. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Al the Pal said:

I thought this was just going to be a crappy corona-birthday, but we celebrated by ordering from Claritytogo.com. It was just wonderful!  We opted for the 3 course dinner for $35 which is a great deal. The menu changes a bit day by day, but if they have halibut, I would definitely recommend it. Our fish dish included gnocchi, beets, and spinach and was delicious. Actually everything was really flavorful. They provide great dinner rolls. We received an extra birthday dessert as well. And they gave us cute little cookies which we haven't eaten yet. I'd strongly recommend as the ordering, pick up, everything was super easy. 

Those cookies are farking good.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

Ordered a dinner from Clarity today — looking forward to it!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

2nd Clarity order! Picking up a brisket dinner tonight.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, curls said:

2nd Clarity order! Picking up a brisket dinner tonight.

If only we lived closer, we'd be doing this too.