"Torment" ("Hets," 1944) - Ingmar Bergman's First Work as Screenwriter and (Uncredited) Assistant Director

DonRocks

Torment was originally released in Sweden as "Hets," and then in the U.K. as "Frenzy." Released in 1944, it represents Ingmar Bergman's first directorial work, although he wasn't the official director (he co-directed without credit, and also wrote the screenplay).

This is the first film in our Bergman retrospective, as we're going in chronological order.

Having watched about 45 minutes of the movie as I post this, I can tell you right now: It's worth your time!

Of note: This was released during WWII, not that this is readily evident from what I've seen so far, but how could it not have affected things?

An hour into the film, I can't help but notice that the Latin teacher is nicknamed Caligula (the 3rd Roman Emperor). Also, that Jan-Erik plays the violin - is it possible that this represents Nero (the 5th Roman Emperor), fiddling while Rome burns (a metaphor for doing something trivial while a disaster is happening)? Given everything, I don't see how this isn't the case.

This comment may be a little too obvious, but I thought I'd at least get the conversation started.

I also think "The Punch" comes close to Sidney Poitier's slap scene in "In The Heat Of The Night" for sheer audience joy although, granted, it most likely didn't evoke an entire race of people jumping to their feet, shouting and applauding as an instant release from 346 years of oppression.

As I write this comment, I've just finished the movie - it is downright operatic, and so utterly dark that I want to discuss it. After the movie was filmed, the studio insisted on a happier ending (as opposed to having Jan-Erik simply walking out the gates into the night), but acclaimed director Alf Sjöberg (*) was unavailable, so they let Bergman direct the closing in his directorial debut.

Note also that this film was an allegory for fascism, as Caligula (Stig Järrel - incredibly, primarily a comedian during his career) was made up to look amazingly close to Heinrich Himmler (who, don't forget, was still alive at the time).

(*) Bergman idolized Sjöberg - a legendary Swedish director relatively unknown in America - and from Jun 9 through Jun 27, 1995, New York City's Museum of Modern Art presented a series called "Alf Sjöberg: Film Maker" which screened all 18 of his works as part of a larger Bergman Festival.

I enjoyed this film. The first scene with Jan-Erik and Bertha reminded me of David Lynch's Blue Velvet. The tone throughout was Lynch like, come to think of it--dark, but with themes of hope and love.

The acting was top notch, and I enjoyed the film's expressionistic style. The use of eerie shadows was downright terrifying.

What do you think about the happier ending? I think Bergman did a fine job directing that part, but I don't think it added anything. I would have preferred the film ending with Jan-Erik walking away in the rain after seeing his friends graduated from school. I suppose in the political climate of that time, ending the film with a smiling fascist waving victoriously from a window may have been too much for people to handle.

The resemblance between Caligula and Himmler is uncanny. Good observation.

Based on this film, I am looking forward to the rest of the films in the Bergman retrospective.

What do you think about the happier ending? I think Bergman did a fine job directing that part, but I don't think it added anything. I would have preferred the film ending with Jan-Erik walking away in the rain after seeing his friends graduated from school. I suppose in the political climate of that time, ending the film with a smiling fascist waving victoriously from a window may have been too much for people to handle.

The resemblance between Caligula and Himmler is uncanny. Good observation.

I would have much preferred the alternate ending, but for those who missed it, I must repeat it's not Bergman's fault - he was instructed to make it sunnier by the studio. A similar thing was done with the film "The Bad Seed" (1956) - a really good movie for those who haven't seen it, but the ending had obviously been tampered with so people didn't go home from the theater and have nightmares.

And I wish I could lay claim to making the connection between Caligula and Himmler, but that's a well-known fact about the movie (the connection between Caligula and Nero is, however, my own, and may not even be correct).

And I wish I could lay claim to making the connection between Caligula and Himmler, but that's a well-known fact about the movie (the connection between Caligula and Nero is, however, my own, and may not even be correct).

I would bet that your connection between Caligula and Nero is correct. Did you notice that one of the students called upon to bring up the final exams was named Bergman?