"Hilarious," (2012) Written, Directed, and Performed by Louis C.K. - Produced by Michelle Caputo

DonRocks

It would break my heart to find out that Louis C.K. wasn't a nice guy - he comes across as being just a wonderful person, and I *love* his standup comedy. Yes, he's the whitest of white boys, but in the best of ways.

This show started out so weak - with his comparison between Hitler and Ray Charles, and then he came right out and said, "I don't know how to start shows," so you don't know if it was on purpose or not. And then he launches into being divorced when you're in your 40s.

His bit with the cell phones "sucking" was so dead-on - people complaining about how their cell phones "suck," when it fact it's their own lives that really suck; not the phones themselves - if people from the previous generation had this technology, they'd be awed, wondered, stupified, amazed, but this generation is complaining about how terrible their phones are. It really hits home.

Half-way in, when Louis C.K. was launched into a diatribe about the word "hilarious," this program just wasn't that funny (and I'm a big Louis C.K. fan). Oh, there were moments, but not extended moments and certainly not anything meriting a long delivery. "Hilarious" was recorded in 2009 and released in 2010, so it was a pretty mature version of Louis C.K. - it seems to me that he largely botched this, and the stand-up routine as a whole just isn't that sublime.

The Fig Newtons bit towards the end - and everything after that (essentially, the final ten minutes) - was pretty funny, and drew a couple of chuckles from me.

But I'm fairly dissatisfied with this nearly-90 minute routine. What on earth happened with this show?

This is the first thing I've ever seen by Louis C.K. that I didn't love. "Hilarious" gets rave reviews by pretty much everybody - what am I missing?!