DonRocks

The Grill Room (Rosewood Hotel), 31st and K Street in Georgetown - The Departure of Chef Frank Ruta and Pastry Chef Aggie Chin

Other than second-hand information from a hotel employee, I don't have much detail to add, but Frank Ruta is apparently going to be the chef at the Cappella Hotel at 1050 31st St. NW in Georgetown.

I doubt "The Grill Room" will keep its name if that's the case, but for now that's all I know - I'm waiting to hear back from Frank.

• Like 1

And on a basis completely unrelated to the restaurant that property was a 50 year old office building designed by Vlastimil Koubek, a prolific architect in the Washington DC region.  It was owned for years by the American Trial Lawyers Association before selling it about 5 or 6 years ago for about $18 million and seeing it redeveloped into a chic boutique hotel.

Wonderful setting in a quaint part of Georgetown enhanced by sitting abreast the Georgetown section of the C & O Canal.  Great area for dining.

• Like 1

Except it is not near metro, that is. But I do not even care about no metro and lousy parking options. If Frank's got a new permanent spot, I am giddy.

PSA: The Capella is probably the best hotel of its type in DC. With Frank Ruta, it has now become a dining destination, and has more than just a great bar. What fantastic news!

Those of you who followed Palena on Facebook may have just seen this photo he posted. Beautiful!

http://t.co/stxk9jO2gF

Amazing. That's food as art but, with him, you know it's freakin' delicious too.  At his suggestion, we're holding off on a visit to the Grille Room until early Spring when he'll have his menu really in full bloom.

darkstar, do you have any more intel on "early spring"? We are holding a reservation for a special occasion dinner on 3/22 - should we wait?

darkstar, do you have any more intel on "early spring"? We are holding a reservation for a special occasion dinner on 3/22 - should we wait?

Chef Ruta's exact words to me were "maybe wait until March" so guessing you should be fine. And, important to also say I'm guessing the food now and in Feb will be very good; just a more straightforward hotel menu he's executing until the transition is complete.

We're hoping to go in late Feb...with an eye to many more. My guess is that he and his team are house curing, smoking, pickling andyounameiting all of his fine foodstuffs he includes as 'easter eggs' in his dishes which is why he is saying wait until march

We're hoping to go in late Feb...with an eye to many more. My guess is that he and his team are house curing, smoking, pickling andyounameiting all of his fine foodstuffs he includes as 'easter eggs' in his dishes which is why he is saying wait until march

Zero doubt there.  That along with just getting the lay of the land, establishing the right working relationships with owners and fully understanding the different needs for a hotel restaurant as distinct from his own destination (and neighborhood!) restaurant.

We stopped in for brunch this past weekend hoping to get an early peek but the old menu is still in place. Our server said there are just a few Ruta touches on the dinner menu so far and a bigger changeover is planned around the 18th of this month -- first dinner, then lunch. We made sure to put in a plea for the donuts. We miss the donuts.

• Like 1

We stopped in for brunch this past weekend hoping to get an early peek but the old menu is still in place. Our server said there are just a few Ruta touches on the dinner menu so far and a bigger changeover is planned around the 18th of this month -- first dinner, then lunch. We made sure to put in a plea for the donuts. We miss the donuts.

Did you still enjoy it? Chef Ruta had suggested March for those of us who follow him like The Dead (the band; not literal). And, guessing any donuts will be the domain of Aggie Chin, one of the city's best pastry chefs still in the early years of her career now at Capella with him.

We thought we remembered hearing February back at the final Bread Feast, but clearly March is a better bet. The server did say she'd ask Aggie about the donuts after hearing us go into raptures about them.

The space is lovely, with a nice view of the canal during the day. The bread was outstanding, with butter at exactly the right temperature (one of our measures of a place that's paying attention). We wouldn't necessarily go back for the current menu (not the one on the website, by the way) so we're looking forward to another visit after the full Frank takeover.

The bread was outstanding, with butter at exactly the right temperature (one of our measures of a place that's paying attention).

EXACTLY!

By the way, Frank just Instagrammed a Leg-o-Lamb spi-o-rama. :)

...The bread was outstanding, with butter at exactly the right temperature (one of our measures of a place that's paying attention). We wouldn't necessarily go back for the current menu (not the one on the website, by the way) so we're looking forward to another visit after the full Frank takeover.

There's a reason why so many great chefs and other food professionals in this city point to Chef Ruta as teacher,mentor and role model for what great technique and food can be. If you've never seen it, go to the home page here on the site while logged in and, at lower right, you'll see "most liked content." Click it and the most popular post is a fantastic homage to Frank Ruta.

Or, easier, here's the link.

• Like 1

There's a reason why so many great chefs and other food professionals in this city point to Chef Ruta as teacher,mentor and role model for what great technique and food can be. If you've never seen it, go to the home page here on the site while logged in and, at lower right, you'll see "most liked content." Click it and the most popular post is a fantastic homage to Frank Ruta.

Or, easier, here's the link.

Speaking of which, has Julien Shapiro landed anywhere in these environs?

I have a reservation for late February.  wondering if I should change it....

I wouldn't imagine you'd get a bad meal there but, speaking only for myself, Frank Ruta & Aggie Chin are 90% of my reason for going. So, mid or later March for us.

Speaking of which, has Julien Shapiro landed anywhere in these environs?

Great question but given how recent the change at ETR and not sure that he's a big social media guy, mostly crickets chirping with an online search. Don may know?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.