Tweaked

Kinship - The Upstairs Portion Of Eric Ziebold's New Mount Vernon Square Location, 7th and K Street NW

The return of Eric Ziebold

The short version - two dining rooms.  Kinship will be a more casual mix and match menu concept with four different menus focusing on four different concept - ingredients, craft, history and decadence.  80 seats.

The yet unnamed second space will be in the basement. A "jewel box" salon for fine dining $150 (or so) tasting menu format.  36 seats, dinner only.

Parker House Rolls?  A chef's gotta have some secrets.

No doubt a lot more will be forthcoming in the months to come.

1015 Seventh St. NW

• Like 2

I hate talking about things that aren't there any more in discussions like this but CityZen had a phenomenal Maine Lobster Cassoulet. It was one of the most memorable dishes I've had in DC, so rich in flavor and intricately layered. I wound up setting the lobster aside and eating it separately, even though it was interesting texturally I thought the more delicate flavor of the lobster was completely dominated by the rest of the stew. Every bite of that stew, though, was divine. I hope Eric Ziebold brings the dish back to the menu at Kinship.

When is his new joint planned for opening?

I thought I saw a note on Twitter about the opening date but I can't find it now.  It must not have come directly from Eric Ziebold because I checked his feed and didn't see it.

I thought I saw a note on Twitter about the opening date but I can't find it now.  It must not have come directly from Eric Ziebold because I checked his feed and didn't see it.

Borderstan says:

Chef Eric Ziebold is slated to officially turn on the grill at Kinship (1015 7th St. NW) the week of Dec. 21, spokeswoman Ellen Gale said. His other restaurant, Métier, is scheduled to open on the lower level of Kinship in early February.

Borderstan says:

Chef Eric Ziebold is slated to officially turn on the grill at Kinship (1015 7th St. NW) the week of Dec. 21, spokeswoman Ellen Gale said. His other restaurant, Métier, is scheduled to open on the lower level of Kinship in early February.

Was doing some last minute Christmas shopping at Urban Outfitters last night (and who wouldn't want to find a 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Vinyl Picture Disk of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" under the tree?) and picking up chicken wings at Hooter's (sue me) and decided to peek into the windows at Kinship.  Not saying that it couldn't open this week, but my narrow-angle view of the place through the papered windows did not present the bustle I identify with imminent opening.

Was doing some last minute Christmas shopping at Urban Outfitters last night (and who wouldn't want to find a 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Vinyl Picture Disk of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" under the tree?) and picking up chicken wings at Hooter's (sue me) and decided to peek into the windows at Kinship.  Not saying that it couldn't open this week, but my narrow-angle view of the place through the papered windows did not present the bustle I identify with imminent opening. 

Assuming a restaurant is on a calendar tax year, I wonder if there are any tax implications to opening in late December vs. early January (I'm talking about the general case; not Kinship) - I would assume not since they're already an existing entity and incurring expenses.

Dang!  If that's what their casual neighborhoody menu looks like, I'm scared to see what the fine dining menu has!!

• Like 1

Dang!  If that's what their casual neighborhoody menu looks like, I'm scared to see what the fine dining menu has!!

$50 corkage-how customer friendly not.

• Like 1

$50 corkage-how customer friendly not.

My guess is that not allowing corkage at all may be the road with the fewest speed bumps, but in that case, someone wanting to bring in a 1975 Lafite for a 40th wedding anniversary would be out of luck.

The ultimate BYOB would be getting a table somewhere during New Year's Eve, and bringing both the 1975 and 1976 Lafite - one for before midnight; the other for when the clock strikes 12.

• Like 1

The ultimate BYOB would be getting a table somewhere during New Year's Eve, and bringing both the 1975 and 1976 Lafite - one for before midnight; the other for when the clock strikes 12.

No, the ultimate would be bringing the 1975 and 1976 Lafite and then drinking a bottle of MD-2020 at midnight.  (Some things are way too good to waste on a paltry date change like Dec 31 to Jan 01).

Has anyone gone already? Looking for clarification on the "for the table" of the menu. Are those prices for each person at the table or a single price regardless of number of guests? 

• Like 1

Has anyone gone already? Looking for clarification on the "for the table" of the menu. Are those prices for each person at the table or a single price regardless of number of guests? 

A single price, but obviously, the portion size doesn't change whether there's 2 guests or 10 guests - "For The Table" essentially means "Big Enough To Share."

• Like 1

single price, but obviously, the portion size doesn't change whether there's 2 guests or 10 guests - "For The Table" essentially means "Big Enough To Share."

I asked about the size of the chicken and was told that it's a whole chicken. I didn't get it (though I did consider it because of the parkerhouse rolls that come with the dishes for the table).

[The discussion about chicken has been moved here.]

• Like 1

A single price, but obviously, the portion size doesn't change whether there's 2 guests or 10 guests - "For The Table" essentially means "Big Enough To Share."

Man, a 12oz ribeye isn't even enough for one!

This is the more "accessible" of the two?!  How many Washingtonians does he expect will have "access"?

Kinship is open.  Attached is the menu from their website (for some items, the prices are a little different on the menu given at the restaurant).

• Like 1

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to see the menu prices of this supposedly approachable restaurant.  I paid, I think, $34 for a whole roasted chicken "for the table" recently at a restaurant at a group dinner just outside of Boston (a place recently opened by the Eastern Standard folks), and, despite it being very good, felt that it was just barely worth it.  I have my doubts that I would feel the same about a $56 whole roasted chicken, unless it got up and entertained us upon being served...  After all, it is just chicken.

I also am not a fan of the "for the table" approach, to the exclusion of a handful of $28-$35 entrees.  My wife and I do not often have anything close to the same entrees, and this seems to force one's hand when dining as two.  Unless, of course, we each spring for a $50+ "for the table" entrée.  Which puts this restaurant into the "special occasion" category.

I am now hoping against hope that the tasting menu at Metier will not require me to take out a second mortgage, and will be "saving my pennies" to go there instead.

The first round of press for Metier (from several months ago) stated $150-ish per person, not sure how many course. But that is probably still the ballpark range.

Stupid Washington Post.  Damn place is booked pretty solid already. So much for a casual opening week drop-by.

Thank god I paid off that voodoo doctor in Haiti last week - I knew it was the only way I'd be able to walk right in and get a seat at Yona.

"Thanks Don for the surprise dine-in and great article! We were shocked that a small store like ours can attract people like you to come. A big thanks from Taka-San as well. I'll continue to strive to come out of Kaz's 'shadow'. I'm already getting pressure from your professional feedback. :)"

I asked about the size of the chicken and was told that it's a whole chicken. I didn't get it (though I did consider it because of the parkerhouse rolls that come with the dishes for the table).

Thanks for the clarification!

They are on OpenTable but are already well booked for the next month.

We are out of town this week, but got a table for next weekend.