Tweaked

Kinship - The Upstairs Portion Of Eric Ziebold's New Mount Vernon Square Location, 7th and K Street NW

I've been twice and can confidently say it's the best restaurant I've been to in the DC area. He took the Parmesan reggiano agnolotti off the menu recently, which is unfortunate because it was my favorite dish at CityZen and so far my favorite at Kinship. Must orders for me are the mushroom torchon, beets and stroganoff (and Parmesan reggiano agnolotti).

The service was fantastic both times. The interior, including the main dining room, waiting area, and especially the bar area, is in my opinion the most well-done interior of any restaurant in DC. It is luxurious without being pretentious, which is so hard to pull off. I went in jeans, sneakers and a polo the second time after wearing a suit the first time and felt equally at ease

• Like 2

He took the Parmesan reggiano tagliatelle off the menu recently, which is unfortunate because it was my favorite dish at CityZen and so far my favorite at Kinship. 

I've been looking at the menu(s) a lot lately and I've noticed that they are changing all the time.  I was there a week an a half ago, and the current menu is maybe 40% different!  (maybe only 30%, maybe 50%).  The point is, if you see something you like on the menu, don't wait!  Go immediately!

• Like 1

I've been looking at the menu(s) a lot lately and I've noticed that they are changing all the time.  I was there a week an a half ago, and the current menu is maybe 40% different!  (maybe only 30%, maybe 50%).  The point is, if you see something you like on the menu, don't wait!  Go immediately!

Couldn't agree more. Our server indicated that they made a big menu change over this past weekend, which I inferred to be the only big change they've made so far, and that she expects more frequent changes once Métier is up and running "soon." If you want it, order it before it's gone.

I also noticed that I wrote it was tagliatelle when it is actually agnolotti. They're obviously nothing alike, aside from some common letters.

The game right now is to go as often as you can before they get the press attention that is surely coming soon.  I ate at the bar tonight, and at 8pm, only 6 seats were taken, leaving it 2/3 empty.

The Sicilian Spritz, a mocktail with salted blood orange cordial, grapefruit, and lime was a perfectly refreshing shift from the gym (which is conveniently just a short walk away), to dinner.

The torchon has been discussed previously, and is excellent.  I would add: I loved it with the soft brioche, and found the texture to be perfect tonight.  It's true that the salad of celery root and pickled mushroom brings a whole different flavor profile with it, though I appreciated the (muted) acidity between bites of the rich and buttery bread+spread.

The shrimp boudin was a new addition from last week, and is served with softened leeks, and a foam somehow involving salsify and shrimp.  Tasted on its own, the boudin was almost too shrimpy, but as a whole the dish worked very nicely.  My only issue tonight (and this is due to how I ordered), is that nearly everything I ate had the same soft texture.  I really wanted something crispy/crunchy somewhere along the way for textural contrast (though I still stand by my preference for the soft brioche)...Next time I'll keep that in mind.

• Like 3

And it's broken down by neighborhood so to assemble a Top 10 or 20 list would take many clicks and lots of cutting and pasting..........come on Don! Fill in the blanks!

1. [Kinship]

+1

Kinship is the best restaurant in DC right now.  Everything I had tonight was superlative.  The apple confit, a new addition to the menu, is the best dessert I've had in not-so-recent memory.
  • Like 1

Where does their blue fin tuna come from? And how do they get a piece of raw fish to taste sweet, sour, salty and spicy? Where's umami?

It would be better described as blue fin tuna 4 ways - sweet, sour, salty & spicy.  My favorite, and I would rather have 4 pieces all done the same, would be the "salty," which has the tuna on top of a mushroom turnover that was just delicious.  The "sour" tuna was masked by the accompanying slice of grapefruit while the "spicy" tuna was masked by the accompanying radishes.  Did anyone else try this?

So happy I snagged a reservation for next week when Tom said in his chat he'd be reviewing this week!

Three stars from Tom:

"Kinship Review: The Welcome Return of a Favorite Chef" by Tom Sietsema on washingtonpost.com

And a scoup that Metier will be $200 per person with service included (no word on taxes)

I can't help but think the impending opening of Métier may have pushed the rating down a 1/2 star. I genuinely can't fathom how it only got 3 stars. Everyone's taste is different, but it's hard to dispute that the food, service and decor are among the very, very best in DC.

I was thinking the same thing about the "low" ranting. Not so much in the context of Metier (but now that you mention it, it's an excellent point), but more in relation to the 4-star places in the Fall Dining Guide.

Rose's Luxury is a full star better than this place?!?!? They only have 13 dishes on the entire menu! And while some of them are unique and brilliant, others are much less so. I've actually had an inedible dish there once. And I truly mean inedible. And at the rooftop private dining meal, we had a "for the table" dish that most of the table didn't like and didn't get past the second bite.

Three stars is a great rating but it seems like an insult here.

• Like 1

Someone posted on another thread that Tom seems to have a trend lately of going 3 stars on the initial review so he can bump it to 4 in the subsequent dining guide. Places like Rose's, Convivial, and there was another that I can't remember. And I'm also guessing he gives 3 or 4 to Metier but doesn't want the flagship to be below the "lesser" of the 2 places.

• Like 1

Bart, I enjoyed your review. I have to ask, though: Where are you seeing an updated menu on line? On the website I only see a menu dated December 2015. I've tried clearing my cache, but still the same menu shows up. The dishes you described, however, are on that menu.

We have a reservation for tomorrow at 5:30, and I can't wait!

Here's the latest menu I can find:

http://kinshipdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Kinship-Dinner-Menu-7.pdf

I think the last time I was there it was ......Menu-5.pdf, but I'm not totally sure.  This one looks nearly identical to the one I had.

Here's a tip for you historians and archivists out there.  If you change the final number in the web address for the menu from 7 to 6 to 5 to 4, etc, you can see older versions of the menu

• Like 1

I was there Wednesday and I'm pretty sure the menu Bart posted is the one we had. Everything was delicious, especially the lobster French toast and the roast chicken!

• Like 1

It clearly changes more frequently than that, because I was there two weeks ago, and my menu had elements of 5, 6, and 7, but wasn't any of them exactly.

• Like 1

It clearly changes more frequently than that, because I was there two weeks ago, and my menu had elements of 5, 6, and 7, but wasn't any of them exactly.

Daniel, I'm not so sure there have been more than seven menus, although it's possible - the opening menu was in place for a fairly long time (it's only been open 13 weeks).

Hmm, I take the last part of my sentence back - the "Rohan Duck" changed to "Muscovy Duck" within days, so it's menu #2 that might have been in place for most of January, but anyway, it seems like they might be using this system, in which case it's a *terrific* reference, and I hope they keep using it. Eric and Celia are both obsessed enough to do this, too (I say this in a good way).

Kinship, if you're reading this, I suggest figuring out a way to change the year and month of the menus, unless that's a date that signifies when you first opened - I can pretty much promise you that serious diners (not just me) will use this system as a reference in the future, to see what seasonal ingredients might be coming up on your menus.

• Like 1

An additional FYI is that the menu posted online may not be the one you get that very night. The last time I was there, the menu we were handed was new and different from the one that was posted online.

• Like 1

Daniel, I'm not so sure there have been more than seven menus, although it's possible - the opening menu was in place for a fairly long time (it's only been open 13 weeks).

Hmm, I take the last part of my sentence back - the "Rohan Duck" changed to "Muscovy Duck" within days, so it's menu #2 that might have been in place for most of January, but anyway, it seems like they might be using this system, in which case it's a *terrific* reference, and I hope they keep using it. Eric and Celia are both obsessed enough to do this, too (I say this in a good way).

Kinship, if you're reading this, I suggest figuring out a way to change the year and month of the menus, unless that's a date that signifies when you first opened - I can pretty much promise you that serious diners (not just me) will use this system as a reference in the future, to see what seasonal ingredients might be coming up on your menus.

I was there on Wed 3/23.

We got the Rabbit as the family-style dish, and that appears only on menu #7. But we also got the Sticky Toffee Pudding from the History column, which appears in #6 but not #7.

I think you can treat the numbers like "revolutions", where they are doing a menu change, but there are still clearly every day/week "evolutions" where individual items slip on and off.

• Like 1

I was there on Wed 3/23.

We got the Rabbit as the family-style dish, and that appears only on menu #7. But we also got the Sticky Toffee Pudding from the History column, which appears in #6 but not #7.

I think you can treat the numbers like "revolutions", where they are doing a menu change, but there are still clearly every day/week "evolutions" where individual items slip on and off.

What you say must be true (I mean "mathematically" must be true).

I was there on Fri 3/25, and there was the Sticky Toffee Pudding, but no Family-Style Rabbit on the menu, so it hopped on-and-off the menu (and then back on again?) very quickly.

Just knowing the nature of the restaurant, it's almost a certainty that there will be various tweaks from day-to-day, so yes, you're right.

Rabbit is expensive and extremely labor-intensive to extract the meat - how was it? (Yes, you just got pinned into a corner.) :)

I view Kinship as a historically important restaurant, and I think it would be invaluable reference material to have a copy of all menus available - it would also be a major PITA for them to do, but still, invaluable reference material (for me, anyway).

Rabbit is expensive and extremely labor-intensive to extract the meat - how was it? (Yes, you just got pinned into a corner.) :)

It was fantastic, but I think that about just about every bite of food I've ever had from Eric. He pulled out the "rib chops" and served them as a rack on the side of the dish with a stuffing - nibbling on those baby chops was possibly the highlight of my week.

Great thread. Been too long since I have been reading here regularly. Must fix.

We have very early mid-week reservations coming up later this month and really looking forward to it.

Kinship now requires a credit card deposit ($25/pp) for Friday and Saturday reservations on Open Table. Must cancel 48 hrs in advance to avoid losing deposit.

• Like 2

Went last week - great meal. Really good service and nice space. More on this later, but this is a super, super place.

9 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

Went last week - great meal. Really good service and nice space. More on this later, but this is a super, super place.

Look forward to your report and other recent ones as we're getting excited for our first visit.