Tweaked

Kinship - The Upstairs Portion Of Eric Ziebold's New Mount Vernon Square Location, 7th and K Street NW

3 hours ago, DanielK said:

You can't lose with either the Foie Gras or the Lobster French Toast.

But if you had to pick one, pick the Lobster French Toast!  With seared foie gras, it might be another story, but I'd rather have the LFT than a torchon.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I've liked all the single-sized desserts just about equally (it's just a matter of which ingredients sound good to you); the only clunker was the double-sized Rhubarb Clafoutis, which just didn't bear any resemblance to a Clafoutis, and even my dining companion (who didn't know what a Clafoutis was, just didn't love it). *Everything* else has been wonderful.

Regardless of dessert, do yourself a favor and get an order of coffee - decaf if necessary. Just trust me on this and do it, and you'll be in for one of the most delightful surprises you've ever had. If you have peanut allergies, ignore this paragraph.

I saw your post on the decaf previously and was planning on ordering...but yes, I am allergic to legumes, so peanuts are out. :( (sigh) 

Thanks for all the help everyone!

3 hours ago, squidsdc said:

I saw your post on the decaf previously and was planning on ordering...but yes, I am allergic to legumes, so peanuts are out. :( (sigh) 

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Pssst- cashews now, so I got to indulge!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squidsdc said:

Pssst- cashews now, so I got to indulge!

Do you know this for a fact? Write Celia and ask her - this is her job, and she's always happy to field questions such as this.

Get the chicken so you can have the Parker House rolls, among other things.

14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Do you know this for a fact? Write Celia and ask her - this is her job, and she's always happy to field questions such as this.

Get the chicken so you can have the Parker House rolls, among other things.

Yes they are definitely cashews. I was told they changed the recipe about a week ago. And unfortunately, just like at Palena, I'll never be able to eat the chicken. Garlic is integral to the dish. (I miss the Parker house rolls!) I'll write more later, but just want to say that most of the menu was available to me, without alteration, or with very slight accommodation. That is a major feat. The newly added oyster stew is a must order IMHO, and the lobster French toast was everything it has been hyped to be. Aside from the surprise on the coffee service, the actual coffee was the most disappointing part of the meal. More on that later....

• Like 2

I recently dined at the bar with one other. We had the tataki tuna, turbot, duck confit and whole chicken. Needless to say, this was a bit overzealous for two people. The tuna, as has been previously described, is fantastic. The turbot is served with the fin, which is fatty and flavorsome, as well as a thick broth. I'm surprised more has not been said about the duck confit. The sauce contains hazelnut and some kind of sweet, seasoned bread - a perfect and unexpected combination of flavors that somehow complemented the bird perfectly. 

I'd also agree that the coffee service is an unexpected and indulgent surprise.

• Like 1

After far too long of a break, my wife and I had another victorious dinner here tonight.  For once we didn't over-order and only had four (completely new) dishes.  In fact in all of the times we've been here, I don't think we've ever ordered the same thing as on a previous visit.  Of course that's not hard to do with a menu that changes this often.

The service equalled the food and we especially loved our French waiter in the bar area, whose booths have become our favorite part of the restaurant.  

There's nothing like ending a hectic first week back in this gourmet temple of serenity.  

Oh yeah, I must salute them once again for the range of wines and prices on their large wine list.  We had a wonderful Petit Verdot for $45 which, if memory serves me, is $15 dollars cheaper than the least expensive of the handful of wines at Momofuku.  

• Like 4

Similar to Bart, after too much time between visits, I'm heading to Kinship tomorrow to celebrate an anniversary with my wife. We over-ordered during our previous visit, and while that was a fortunate "mistake", I would like to at least try to order more appropriately this time.

We shared the roast chicken before, and while it was superb, we may share another "table" dish this time. If we do, it's likely to be the beef, since my wife is not fond of fish, lamb, or foie gras (sigh). We may also just order from the top of the menu, so who knows. The desserts look amazing, so I'd like to save room for that as well.

Would love to hear recommendations. Thanks!

I was there last week with a 6-top, so we got to sample quite a few things.

We got the whole roasted foie lobe - it was worth every penny of the $150. No joke.

We also had the lobster french toast (I order this every time, and the one time we didn't, Chef sent one out as a gift. He sure showed me!), and the Duck Confit a L'Orange. That duck was incredible - it was compressed into a loaf with the crispy skin on top. I didn't want to share.

For mains, we shared the whole chicken, short ribs, and seared scallops. I'd order every single one again. They're all what I feel like when I eat Eric's food - they are classic preparations, with enough of a twist to make you consider the ingredient and the preparation, without distracting from the food.

Desserts (we did not have room at this point, but soldiered on) included the maple syrup dumplings and creme brulee. And birthday ice cream cake! The praline they are currently serving with the coffee is cinnamon cashew.

They are different restaurants, but there's something of a parallel between Kinship/Metier and Rose's Luxury/Pineapple and Pearls. I know that the Silverman pair gets the media attention, but having eaten at Rose's just a couple of weeks ago, given the choice, I'd go to Kinship every time.

• Like 5

Commemorated four years of dating bliss with @MichaelBDC at Kinship last night. We managed to not over order and had an amazing meal. 

We started with the ramp-ricotta dumplings and the asparagus dijonnaise for appetizers. Both dishes were a lovely celebration of Spring. Especially loved the dumplings and the fricasseed artichokes that accompanied them. For our mains, we had the rockfish and the quail. Both were cooked perfectly and showcased the quality of the main ingredient. I have been cooking a lot of fish at home lately and wish I could come close to executing fish that  well. My favorite dish of the evening was the quail which was served with seared chicken liver, garganelli, chive blossoms and espelette broth. I couldn't get enough of that broth. We finished off dinner with creme brulee, which we ordered because of @MichaelBDC's love for grapefruit. He loved the grapefruit sorbet and I loved the creme brulee so it was a good choice for us to split.

Service was lovely. Megan steered us away from an Italian red that would have been a bit too heavy for our meal and towards a similarly priced and wonderful I Custodi. She also deduced that we would be sharing everything and we were set up accordingly and plates were placed in the middle.

My only regret is that we did not order the chicken. With our late reservation and the length of time it takes to roast the chicken, we didn't want to wait until 9:30pm for our entree. Next time, we will need to get an earlier reservation and order that chicken.

• Like 8

Dinner last night was really good. Had the ricotta ramp dumplings mentioned above, asparagus vinaigrette, green tomato soup, and, for the first time, the roast chicken. Everything was well done and tasty. For dessert the crema fritta with rhubarb and a grand marnier vanilla ice cream float was lovely. 

On 9/16/2016 at 3:00 PM, DonRocks said:

I've been to the bar over ten times and only had trouble once, but even then I got one of those booths in the bar area. At some point, I'd guess the bar will become full on weekends, and then at some point, it will become full on weekdays; on the other hand, Palena's bar was almost *never* full.

On 9/16/2016 at 2:48 PM, jca76 said:

We've eaten or grabbed a drink at the bar about half a dozen times over the last few months and have never had trouble getting two seats at the bar.  Generally we go around 8:30 or 9:00 -- we're often late eaters -- on both weekdays and weekends and usually find it half empty.  (I actually prefer sitting at the bar to eating in the dining room.  I like the vibe more and enjoy the proximity to Kerstin, Nikki, and others behind the bar for getting recommendations/general chatting.)

Has anyone noticed whether it's gotten more difficult to get seats at the bar (particularly on weekends)? Possible impromptu dinner here tonight or Saturday, but no reservations available since it's very popular. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Genevieve said:

Has anyone noticed whether it's gotten more difficult to get seats at the bar (particularly on weekends)? Possible impromptu dinner here tonight or Saturday, but no reservations available since it's very popular. Thanks!

Yes.  We tried to do my birthday there a few Saturdays back and were unable to get a table and ended up with the last two seats at the bar at little before 7:00. 

Note that they told us that we could not order food (just drinks) if we wanted to sit at the otherwise available table near the entrance, which seemed odd.  That said, we had eventually had a lovely meal at the bar itself. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, youngfood said:

Note that they told us that we could not order food (just drinks) if we wanted to sit at the otherwise available table near the entrance, which seemed odd. 

That is odd - the only thing I can think of is that they changed their policy to hold those tables for diners at Métier, but I don't know that.

Finally getting to Kinship next week!  So pleased, especially as I never got to CityZen.

One question: I am definitely getting the lobster French toast, and as a soft-shell crab lover, figured I would get the crab. But there's overlap in the ingredients, which I hope wouldn't make them too much the same.  The lobster French toast is currently served with cucumber, rhubarb, and sesame mousse.  The soft-shell crab says it's with rhubarb gazpacho, toasted cashew, and sesame oil.  I am very fond of sesame, and much less so of rhubarb (I don't affirmatively dislike it, I think, but have never enjoyed it particularly - but I don't think it would lessen my enjoyment of the lobster).  Are the two dishes likely to taste too similar?

The current online menu was not particularly appealing to my dining partner, but I know the menu there may end up being quite different.  I'm hoping there will be fish on the menu (I see sea bass and cobia on the current online menu), with a preparation that isn't too rich and doesn't depend on serving the fish rare, and/or a nice salad for one of the courses (no salad on the online menu right now, but I know they've had some good ones before). If they had the halibut with trumpet mushrooms people loved last summer, I might well get that myself instead of the crab, but I wouldn't choose the sea bass or cobia over it.  

Do people have recommendations on any of the currently listed desserts? They all sound pretty good. Can't do chocolate, but the blueberry blintz, strawberry-banana trifle, and pralines 'n' cream look appealing.

41 minutes ago, Genevieve said:

Finally getting to Kinship next week!  So pleased, especially as I never got to CityZen.

One question: I am definitely getting the lobster French toast, and as a soft-shell crab lover, figured I would get the crab. But there's overlap in the ingredients, which I hope wouldn't make them too much the same.  The lobster French toast is currently served with cucumber, rhubarb, and sesame mousse.  The soft-shell crab says it's with rhubarb gazpacho, toasted cashew, and sesame oil.  I am very fond of sesame, and much less so of rhubarb (I don't affirmatively dislike it, I think, but have never enjoyed it particularly - but I don't think it would lessen my enjoyment of the lobster).  Are the two dishes likely to taste too similar?

I'm in the minority (maybe even a minority of one), but the Lobster French Toast isn't my favorite dish at Kinship - it's *very* rich and decadent (there's loads of butter), but I don't think it's Kinship at its most sublime. That said, I don't think the flavor profile of your two dishes will be too similar, as the rhubarb will cut through the butter quite nicely, and the texture of the crab shell and cashews will complement the softness of the lobster and french toast - if you had said "Lobster French Toast and Foie Gras," I would have asked you to think twice.

Anyone on the staff there should be able to help you with questions such as this, as the entire staff is intimately familiar with the dishes (which is just one reason that this is the best restaurant in DC).

• Like 3

Thanks, Don!  I love lobster and the descriptions of that dish have all made me want it.  But good to know I can ask the staff.

• Like 1

The lobster french toast is probably too rich for a single person to have as an appetizer. I've had it split between 2 or 3, and that worked well.

• Like 3

We both loved Kinship.

I had the soft-shell crab as an appetizer and the lobster french toast as a main. The flavors were not very similar despite the rhubarb and sesame in both. The rhubarb "gazpacho" was a terrific contrast in flavor and texture to the crab. I really prefer soft-shells sauteed or otherwise not fried, but these were the best tempura'd crabs I've had, as the crab flavor didn't get lost under the breading. The lobster was amazing. 

My husband had the creme fraiche agnolotti and the lamb shoulder and thought both were wonderful. 

For dessert, he had the chocolate sesame torte and I had the pralines 'n cream. Both were scrumptious.

Service was very very good (I particularly liked that when they called to confirm the reservation, they asked about any food restrictions, and then the waiter had those on a list and asked us about them and said he'd alert us if anything we were ordering had those ingredients).

• Like 4

On 7/17/2017 at 10:26 AM, Genevieve said:

We both loved Kinship.

I had the soft-shell crab as an appetizer and the lobster french toast as a main. The flavors were not very similar despite the rhubarb and sesame in both. The rhubarb "gazpacho" was a terrific contrast in flavor and texture to the crab. I really prefer soft-shells sauteed or otherwise not fried, but these were the best tempura'd crabs I've had, as the crab flavor didn't get lost under the breading. The lobster was amazing. 

My husband had the creme fraiche agnolotti and the lamb shoulder and thought both were wonderful. 

For dessert, he had the chocolate sesame torte and I had the pralines 'n cream. Both were scrumptious.

Service was very very good (I particularly liked that when they called to confirm the reservation, they asked about any food restrictions, and then the waiter had those on a list and asked us about them and said he'd alert us if anything we were ordering had those ingredients).

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to getting here again very soon - it is one of our favorite places.

• Like 1

@MichaelBDC and I went here with my aunt and cousin for their last meal during their D.C. visit. I told my cousin that if she goes to Georgetown, I can take her here for all of her milestones. :lol:

We ordered several dishes to share and had a lovely bottle of wine from Washington State to enjoy throughout the dinner. The lobster French toast met the hype. Luckily for my cousin and me, my aunt doesn't eat seafood and @MichaelBDC is slightly allergic to shellfish. Pleasantly surprised by the amount of lobster meat on the plate. The saganaki (fried cheese, sweet pepper sauce, and fava beans) was good but probably our least favorite dish of the evening. I loved the ingredients, but he dish just didn't come together for me. Also, I found it odd that the fried cheese was served at room temperature (maybe just a little warm). The last appetizer was the heirloom tomato salad, which was amazing. Everything one would want from a good heirloom tomato salad, with the Ziebold touch. We should have gotten a second order.

I tried to get the table to order the roast chicken but my aunt and cousin were not having it. Instead, the four of us split the braised lamb shoulder and the old bay rubbed ribeye for our entrees. As my aunt kept saying throughout the meal, "very good." I can't remember much about the dishes now, but I really liked both entrees and we cleaned the plates. 

Dessert was the chocolate sesame torte and the gooey butter cake. We also received a little portion of pecan brittle from the kitchen. Chocolate sesame torte was great without being too rich. Butter cake was nice and simple. I really liked the raspberry buttermilk ice cream that accompanied it. 

Another amazing time at Kinship. And since that chicken is still on my "to eat" list, I have another reason to head back. 

• Like 5

Finally got to dine here over the weekend and am so glad I finally made it down (and was able to get a reservation time slot.  Started the meal with a glass of Digby English Sparkling Wine while my wife had the American quarter cocktail.  Both were excellent, although I'm a bit biased on the former as it's produced by a college friend.  For starters we went all in and got the fois gras torchon and the Lobster French Toast.  I actually preferred the former - the French toast was good but didn't blow me away.

Two entrees were the Rack of Lamb and the Kinship Sauerkraut.  The former was really, really good - the curry was excellent, the eggplant was quite tasty, and that's before we get to the lamb itself.  That being said, our consensus was that the pork and sauerkraut dish was the winner for the evening.  Wow.  As my wife put it, it's not too hard to make foie gras taste great, but when you make sauerkraut the star of the evening (successfully), you should take a bow.  Admittedly, we've both got a bit of Eastern European in our genes, but this one was amazing.  Kudos to the team there.

Finished up with the donuts and peanut torte for desert.  In retrospect, probably should have skipped this course, although both were very good, as it just ended up making the whole meal a tad too rich.  Unforced error on my part, so this shouldn't take anything away from the kitchen.  Service was excellent through the night as well.  Definitely enjoyed everything about the meal and can't wait to get back.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, youngfood said:

We haven't been able to try Metier yet, but our most recent meal at Kinship gives us every reason to believe the Washingtonian's rating of it as the best restaurant in town.  I'm not sure when we'll manage to try Metier, but I'm sure it won't be long before we find an excuse to return to Kinship.

*Great* review, youngfood, and much obliged for the hat-tip (I wish I could take original credit for it, but it might have been Eric who urged me to try it the first time).

Serious question: I don't think you can cherry-pick things - such as Métier being #1 - from Listicles in isolation (this is a general comment, and I'm not trying to bust on Washingtonian - I've dined with Ann and Cynthia, and am quite fond of them both). That said, how do you reconcile Kinship not being in the Top 25?

• Like 1