War Films, Anti- or Otherwise

porcupine

It has been said that Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove is an anti-war film for those already convinced...

If you want another great anti-war film, possibly even for the unconvinced, watch Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory, another of my favorite movies.

This is going to drive Rocks nuts: he has a compulsion to break threads apart so that a subject can be looked at in isolation, whereas I prefer to look at things in relation to other things.  (Example: I started a thread about Indian restaurants that went defunct after he moved posts to individual restaurant threads.)  But here goes...

What are your favorite war films?  Or anti-war films?

A few months ago I saw Grave of the Fireflies for the first time, and it's been haunting me ever since.  According to the Wikipedia article, the director has denied that it is an anti-war film, but it was hard for me to see it as anything else, and apparently I'm not the only one.

For anyone who's put off by the fact that it's an animated film, read Ebert's review linked to above.

Duck Soup. A wonderful and hysterically funny made-up war.

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold. Like Dr. Strangelove, an artifact of the great war of my generation, the Cold War. Richard Burton transcended his crippling limitations as a screen actor, giving his one undeniably brilliant screen performance, with which it is impossible to find fault.

Kameradschaft, by G.W. Pabst. Just try sitting through it with dry eyes.

Duck Soup. A wonderful and hysterically funny made-up war.

I used to watch Marx Brothers movie on TV when I was a child, and remember them fondly (and still quote them sometimes), but about 6 months ago I tried to watch Duck Soup and just... couldn't.

Hail, Freedonia,

• Like 1