This column appeared online two days ago, Dec 31, 2014, dated Dec 31, 2014.

"Bruce Allen's Five Worst Answers At His Season-Ending Press Conference" by Mike Steingarten on washpost.com

I posted this comment:

After suffering for months reading meaningless column-after-column, comment-after-comment, I have reached the following conclusions:

1. The problem is 100% Dan Snyder. Not Bruce Allen, not RGIII, not Jay Gruden. Dan Snyder.  

2. Until and unless people realize this *and act upon it*, all of these silly columns (and, I hate to say, comments) will continue to be nothing but crossword puzzles, soap operas, time wasters.

3. "Acting upon it" means assigning 100% of the blame on Snyder, and being consistent about it. It also means, for fans, not giving him a dime of your money, either directly or indirectly.

4. The Washington Post has mentioned this, but has also danced around the issue (witness this column, for example). It seems like almost daily, I'm reading a column here that lambasts anyone and everyone associated with the team. Nope, it's Dan Snyder, and The Post should assume that posture with the same zeal that it uses in not mentioning the team's name.

---

This column appeared online yesterday Jan 1, 2015, also dated Dec 31, 2014:

"Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen Sidesteps The Most Important Questions" by Jason Reid on washpost.com

I posted this comment:

100% of the fault goes to Dan Snyder. 100%

The word "Snyder" isn't even mentioned in this article which means Jason Reid is writing for a paycheck, and is blissfully clueless.

To which someone replied:

Since the article is about the press conference and Allen is GM and President and he says he takes responsibility, Snyder not in the article is appropriate.

To which I replied:

Snyder mentioned in EVERY article is appropriate. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm going to cut-and-paste a comment I made in Dan Steinberg's column, written just yesterday. Here goes:

---

After suffering for months reading meaningless column-after-column, comment-after-comment, I have reached the following conclusions:

1. The problem is 100% Dan Snyder. Not Bruce Allen, not RGIII, not Jay Gruden. Dan Snyder.

2. Until and unless people realize this *and act upon it*, all of these silly columns (and, I hate to say, comments) will continue to be nothing but crossword puzzles, soap operas, time wasters.

3. "Acting upon it" means assigning 100% of the blame on Snyder, and being consistent about it. It also means, for fans, not giving him a dime of your money, either directly or indirectly.

4. The Washington Post has mentioned this, but has also danced around the issue (witness this column, for example). It seems like almost daily, I'm reading a column here that lambasts anyone and everyone associated with the team. Nope, it's Dan Snyder, and The Post should assume that posture with the same zeal that it uses in not mentioning the team's name.

To which another person replied:

Right you are DonR, Danny is the source and summit of what has plagued this franchise for sixteen years now. Although, the dysfunction and incompetence were already here starting with last year of his first stint as coach and the one year with Petitbon, along with the seven years under Turner and GM Casserly (here for several years) who replaced Bobby Beathard. There were some horrible moves that preceded Snyder, in all reality during the 90's. Desmond Howard, Baby Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook and Rod Gardner at receiver, just to name but a few. I will never forget watching the draft day antics, when they would show the Dallas War Room with Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson falling off there chairs laughing at the Redskins selections in the draft and how they had suckered Casserly. Sadly, the seeds of the downward spiral started Gibbs' last year as coach when two number one draft choices were wasted on a complete bust, Desmond Howard. Had the Skins used these two high picks that year and traded one of them down for more picks, this team would have set a strong foundation for the next 6-8 may 10 years to come.
Getting back to your point about Snyder, it is unfortunate we cannot trade him or force him to sell. Sadly he has never had to pay a price for failure as it applies to the Redskins, hopefully that will change.

This column appeared online today, Jan 2, 2015, also dated Dec 31, 2014:

"Washington Redskins Are The Victim Of Top-Down Organizational Dysfunction" by Sally Jenkins on washpost.com

It was the best column I can remember reading by Sally Jenkins.

No, I don't think I caused her to write it, but I feel strongly enough about this issue where I'm going to sign my full, real name to my writing, and not deviate from a position I've developed over the long-term, despite giving up some much-cherished personal privacy. I would have simply linked to columns and comments, saying it was me, but there's something very wrong with either the Post's comment software, or how my ChromeBook interacts with it - it took me a good fifteen minutes just to write this post.

These are my opinions on the team's one - and only - problem (singular): Dan Snyder.

And I proudly sign my opinions with my real name.

Happy New Year to all,

Don Rockwell.

Don:   I'd say that the biggest problem with the Redskins is Snyder.  Then Snyder's disfunctional control of the organization seeps down through the ranks and manifests itself in many more ways, wherein a particular underling action might be directly responsible, while Snyder's influence could easily have influenced the action.

This past year seems to me to have raised the level of fan disgust.  I think its been pretty well captured in the media.  At the Post Dan Steinberg has been writing almost weekly comments since mid season detailing specific levels of disgust by fans across the region.  One example   He's been updating these articles with different groups of fans.  I feel like the media has captured this sense more so this year than any year in the past.

But at this point its not a universal boycott of all things Redskin.

Plenty of people have been complaining for quite a while and many many of them point the finger at Snyder, an extraordinary number in fact.  You are not the only person to blame him...and he should be blamed, rightfully so.

Meanwhile there is another example of a miserable sports team owner up the road in Peter Angelos.  He purchased the Orioles in 1993 and the team has been horrible and uncompetitive for most years during a 20 year period.  

I wonder if Snyder and Angelos share and compare notes???

I don't know: This proposed Free Agent deal, has the opportunity to be worse than the all time worst free agent deal made in the history of the NFL;  the horrendous Albert Haynesworth deal made by our friend, Mr Snyder:

It probably won't be worse.  But its for more overall money and for more guaranteed money.

I can't believe it will be worse, but if one just adores Mr. Snyder....one can only hope....... :rolleyes:

I don't know: This proposed Free Agent deal, has the opportunity to be worse than the all time worst free agent deal made in the history of the NFL; the horrendous Albert Haynesworth deal made by our friend, Mr Snyder:

It probably won't be worse. But its for more overall money and for more guaranteed money.

I can't believe it will be worse, but if one just adores Mr. Snyder....one can only hope....... :rolleyes:

Suh to Miami has only bad behavior in common with the Haynesworth example imho. There's no question with Suh that he'll step in wherever and be a dominant force on the D-line. And no risk of issues around bring limited by the defensive setup/alignment.

And, can add me to the thousands (hundreds of thousands likely) who see the owner as the biggest and singular problem that needs to be solved.

• Like 2

Informative point -- you can't get rid of owners, but you CAN hope they get suspended.

In the early '90s, George Steinbrenner was suspended from the Yankees -- there is quite a bit of similarity between the younger George Streinbrenner and Danny Snyder, to the point where Snyder has been nicknamed "Boy George" -- anyway, in the case of Steinbrenner's suspension, the saner Yankee brass such as Gene "Stick" Michael stopped trading away the crown jewels, kept the Core Five (Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Posada and Williams), made shrewd trades like Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill, and basically built the championship team that could have run through six straight World Series from 1996 to 2001. Yeah, two Mariano Rivera blown saves made it 4 out of 6 championships, but Steinbrenner would never had allowed all of those stars to stay together. Heck, Stenbrenner almost traded Mariano Rivera to the Mariners in '96!

You're stuck with The Danny....but somehow, some way, he can maybe get suspended...?

This (meaning: this week) should be one of the greatest times in Washington, DC sports history:

1) The Nationals are the hottest team in MLB, having gone from a worrisome 7-13 to a right-in-there 18-15 by going on an 11-2 streak, with no signs of them cooling down. Bryce Harper is the hottest, and perhaps the best, offensive player in baseball, and the pitching staff is beginning to live up to expectations.

2) The Wizards won 46 games for the first time since 1978-1979, swept the Raptors 4-0 in the first round of the playoffs, and are 2-2 against the Hawks despite their premier player, John Wall, missing Game 4 with a broken hand. The Raptors playoff victory was only the Wizards' third series victory since 1981-1982.

3) The Capitals scored over 100 regular-season points for only the 8th time in team history, and then went on to scrape by the New York Islanders in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. They haven't won a Conference Semifinals series since 1991-1992, but are in Game 7 against the New York Rangers.

Given that all three of these teams are very much in contention for championiships, and especially given that even if the Wizards and Capitals fail to advance, they still would have had successful seasons, these should be some high times for Washington, DC sports fans, and yet, there seems to be a pall cast over the city's spirits, and I believe that pall to be none other than Dan Snyder and what he has single-handedly done to the morale of Washington, DC. It made me ill to think that he'd be watching the Arsenal of Democracy Capital Flyover from his deck, overlooking the Potomac River flight path while smoking a cigar, having illegally cleared away 140 trees just so he could have a better view of the river (and undoubtedly the planes flying over). This despicable human being is a disgrace to our city, and is a lump of negative energy that is always just *there*, no matter how much you try and take your mind off of him. He is universally hated, and either refuses to realize it, or is too selfish to care, and as a result, he and his football team are an indelible blight on our wonderful town. He makes it impossible to be completely happy with the sports situation here - even in the very best of times.

What, no mention of DC's most successful sports franchise, DC United, the only DC team to win a championship in the past 20 years, and not just one but four championships, not to mention nine other major trophies.  A team who currently sit tied for first place in the MLS Eastern Conference, also with a game this Wednesday, at hallowed RFK no less, to take sole possession of first place.

Yeah, that team.    

What, no mention of DC's most successful sports franchise, DC United, the only DC team to win a championship in the past 20 years, and not just one but four championships, not to mention nine other major trophies.  A team who currently sit tied for first place in the MLS Eastern Conference, also with a game this Wednesday, at hallowed RFK no less, to take sole possession of first place.

Yeah, that team.    

What, no mention of Serena Williams returning to the Washington Kastles? :P

The owner of the Washington NFL team is a complete and utter douchebag. I don't really care about the NFL at all, so it doesn't bother me too too much, but his refusal to consider changing the team name to something other than a racial slur makes this area look like we live in the fricking 1700s ffs.

• Like 1

The owner of the Washington NFL team is a complete and utter douchebag.

To the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During this spring, who should care about the Snyderskins.  The Caps and Wizards are making valiant runs in the Playoffs, in the early part of the season the Nats are currently moving back on track, and the aforementioned DC United are a superb team in their league worthy of being followed.  One can only hope that Snyder decides to become a monk, goes into hiding and sells off his team and other assets.

How do Fans Perceive the Skins

Possibly this deserves its own thread, or alternatively there should be a separate thread on the Redskins in which this would be one of the posts.     The crux of this story comes from ESPN who surveyed up to 100,000 fans across the continent to rank the 122 different major professional sports franchises; football, baseball, basketball and hockey, to rank each in terms of overall fan "satisfaction".

Of those 122 different franchises where do our local Snyderskins( Redskins/ DC football team, you name it) rank?    A not surprising 120th of 122 franchises!!!!   Quite an achievement in agitating and alienating local fans.  Rather surprising when one thinks of the history of the Redskins, its SuperBowl past, its Hogs, and its Smurfs, and its various players and heroes.

How could one franchise fall so low????   Does the name Dan Snyder ring a bell?

In any case according to this poll the local Skins rank the following among the 122 franchises in the following categories:

Overall:  120th out of 122 franchises.   That is beyond dismal.

The background story to this large survey created by ESPN and partners is described here, a description of the method and process in assessing how fans feel about their local franchises.

The factors:

Title track:  Where we shine (relatively speaking)   Tied for 68th.  Hmmm.   Worse than 1/2 the teams, and clearly a function of ancient history.

Ownership:               110.  (I'm surprised its this high and surprised we weren't ranked in the bottom 130)

Coaching:                 114

Players:                    115

Fan Relations:          118  (Again I'm surprised the team broke into the top 130.)

Affordability:              116  (tickets are a lot of money for such a poor experience)

Stadium Experience: 119  (from my experience the best part of a trip to the Redskins and stadium is taigating outside of the stadium.  Things go downhill once inside)

Bang for the Buck:     114  (Again with the current team and overall conditions I'm surprised again we didn't bottom out in the 130's.

If one recalls the glory days it is difficult to fathom how one franchise could evolve into such a detestable experience.    But does the name Dan Snyder ring a bell?

[i've decided to name the Redskins thread just like all the other sports teams' threads, using the same format. My job is to present and organize things; not to interject my personal opinion in titles and tags - especially not for professional sports franchises. I agree that Dave's post (above) could be separate if he wants it to be, and so could many others in this thread. Ask and ye shall receive, but let's report (and comment on) the news for sports teams in this forum; not subject others to our personal beliefs in thread titles as I mistakenly did - I apologize for doing so: the Redskins (or whatever they may one day be called) were here long before Dan Snyder, and will be here after he's gone, I hope.]

Interestingly, I learned (through Wikipedia, which I think is a terrific website that will be around for the long term - which is why I link to it whenever I can) that the Redskins don't officially retire jersey numbers - only Sammy Baugh's has been officially retired; the others, unofficially so, and could technically be used again. I know of no other professional sports team in the Big 4 (MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL) that refuses to do this, and I don't understand why they would buck this fine, if sometimes overused, tradition.

Alfred Morris goes to the Cowboys.   On one front Alfred Morris was one of my favorite Redskins over the last few years.  A work horse, the opposite of a showboat, no ego that got in the way.  Simply a hard working player who had several excellent years.  Good luck to him going forward.

And this next comment is several months late.   I thought last years Redskins season the "best" season in probably the last 16-17.  Why?  No interference from Snyder.  And they had a good season getting into the playoffs after a couple of dismal seasons.  Whether they get into the playoffs again is one thing...but if Snyder continues to keep his mouth shut and his interference to a minimum I and I'm sure many latent fans will again follow the team with glee.  They might even be able to sell out the house, unlike last year.  If Snyder wasn't such an odious unlikable pr*ck I'd go back to watch games at the stadium.

The mighty have fallen. Per local news broadcasts upper level tickets to the Thursday Thanksgiving Day game are available in the $7 range.  

I have relatives with pretty good seats in the $130/game range.  I looked at that row for the Thanksgiving Day game and saw resell tickets in the $20-$30 range.  

Mediocre team/ terrible opponent but frankly people hate Snyder and have for years.  None of which has anything to do with protesting players btw.  

But those resale prices—ugh. 

15 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Mediocre to poor results for a long time.....

Well this helps to explain the more recent mediocrity....NFL agents think Allen is ill prepared and not trustworthy

About 20 years of crappy SnyderSkins with a revolving door of Snyder sycophants

They will not get better for a very, very long time.  The absolute worst thing that can happen to this franchise is to sniff the playoffs even once in the next 5 or so years.  It just emboldens a terrible, terrible group of "leaders" to stay the course.

This anecdote is the perfect distillation of their collective id.

Boy, picking linemen might not be flashy, but I *love* the Redskins having picked Da'Ron Payne to join his former Alabama teammate, Jonathan Allen, on their defensive line - I've always equated having good offensive and defensive lines to having control of the House of Representatives (as opposed to the Senate or Presidency) - once it's in place, it's hard to undo.

The Redskins are on their way to having the best defensive line in the NFL.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:58 PM, TedE said:

They will not get better for a very, very long time.  The absolute worst thing that can happen to this franchise is to sniff the playoffs even once in the next 5 or so years.  It just emboldens a terrible, terrible group of "leaders" to stay the course.

This anecdote is the perfect distillation of their collective id.

Had to look up "HTTR".  Framing and placing the picture in the bathroom above the toilet sounds about right.

28 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Boy, picking linemen might not be flashy, but I *love* the Redskins having picked Da'Ron Payne to join his former Alabama teammate, Jonathan Allen, on their defensive line - I've always equated having good offensive and defensive lines to having control of the House of Representatives (as opposed to the Senate or Presidency) - once it's in place, it's hard to undo.

The Redskins are on their way to having the best defensive line in the NFL.

Wouldn't that be nice.  Allen seemed pretty good last year then got injured.  Still an unknown.  Payne--much is unknown. 

We'll see over time. 

Meanwhile in the short run and going into next season other teams defensive lines look very formidable with players that have excelled.  Of course next year is not 2 or 3 years into the future.  The Rams catch in free agency seems mind blowing.  Those two guys in the middle are known train wrecks to any offense.

As long as Snyder is there I find the Skins depressing.  Here is to the Ravens.  They drafted an exciting prospect in Lamar Jackson.  He has the traits of Deshawn Watson and Michael Vick.  Of course so many of these running qb's get injured.  Again we'll see over time.

Maryland out of NFL stadium talks for now By Michael Neibauer, WBJ

Unless Virginia jumps into the mix — say, the team’s home of Loudoun County — that leaves Snyder with one option: D.C. and the current site of RFK Stadium. Mayor Muriel Bowser has expressed interest in seeing the team return to the District, and D.C. is where Snyder reportedly wants to be. But that path is just as fraught with challenges, as the federal government still controls the 190-acre RFK campus, several D.C. Council members have already voiced opposition, and there’s strong public resistance as well.   

35 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Maryland out of NFL stadium talks for now By Michael Neibauer, WBJ

Unless Virginia jumps into the mix — say, the team’s home of Loudoun County — that leaves Snyder with one option: D.C. and the current site of RFK Stadium. Mayor Muriel Bowser has expressed interest in seeing the team return to the District, and D.C. is where Snyder reportedly wants to be. But that path is just as fraught with challenges, as the federal government still controls the 190-acre RFK campus, several D.C. Council members have already voiced opposition, and there’s strong public resistance as well.   

St Louis needs a team.  Maybe they'll welcome them there....until they get to know Snyder

Oh for crying out loud.  2 games, 2 losses, 63 points scored against the "improved defense".  The "best unit on the team" defensive line" was overwhelmed.  Backs could tackle but weren't great in coverage. 

Looks like one more Snyderskin season-- a disaster.

3 hours ago, DaveO said:

Oh for crying out loud.  2 games, 2 losses, 63 points scored against the "improved defense".  The "best unit on the team" defensive line" was overwhelmed.  Backs could tackle but weren't great in coverage. 

Looks like one more Snyderskin season-- a disaster.

We had season tickets for 20 years and did not renew this year. No regrets.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dcs said:

We had season tickets for 20 years and did not renew this year. No regrets.

The last 20 years??  Oh my.  I stopped attending games during the Snyder era; bad teams, evil sick management, and it felt as if Snyder had his hands in my pocket while driving to the game, slickly taking the bills from my wallet , while preparing to watch ever worse entertainment.

Sadly the 'Skins have put the "dys" in function, like the "F" in weigh.

Snyder is not a publically popular guy, but from a financial perspective the Team has increased in value exponentially (~$3,400,000,000 - 2019) since he has owned it; the $$ he reaps every, single year are just silly. Once granted/approved, NFL ownership, as a whole, is a money grab.

Tough to be a 'Skins fan, and thinking they will miraculously turnaround in another mediocre season is poppycock. The blame always rests with the Head Coach, who will not be back next year - the major problem is...what other Coach would ever want to come here if not simply for a big payday? Running out of former coaches, College coaches and secondary or tertiary coaches to coax here.

1 hour ago, Steve R. said:

Well, there goes the coach.

I was at the game yesterday, in my Pats guise (root for the skins when they play anyone else). We took the place over so much that Belichick made a heartfelt thanks to the fans in his postgame presser. The two teams (from the top down) have completely flipped from when I started following both, in 1970. The Pats were the clowns of the NFL while the Skins were so classy (after EBW took over the team) that Vince Lombardi had taken the HC job for a year before his untimely death. Imagine Vince freaking Lombardi taking a call from Daniel Snyder.

• Like 1

This year's Skins team takes the cake for being miserable.  Virtually bottom of the barrel miserable.  Going backwards miserable.  So many issues.  Out of curiosity, can the impeachment forces discover that Snyder was engaged in some tWimpASS illegality and throw him in jail?

• Like 1

Thomas Boswell either joined the bandwagon or put an exclamation point on past commentary with his WaPo article stating that the Skins had lost Washington DC. 

I happened to watch a little of the game while waiting to return to DC.  The Skins of course were horrible.  Their offense is the worst I've have seen; Replacement level QB, weak line protection, mediocre at best receiving corps, mostly mediocre running backs.  Essentially no talent on the 2019 version of the Skins.  Meanwhile, the defense, acclaimed at the beginning of the season, is porous.  They are weak, giving up a lot of points and putting the Skins in a hole virtually every game. 

The proof of "having lost DC" was not in Boswell's article but in the continued terrible attendance and incredibly low prices on the resell market for tickets.  That has been going on for a while.  Possibly this was the "worst case".  Possibly its been this bad or worse earlier, possibly it will get worse in the next 6 games.  Its a completely futile team.  Meanwhile other local teams have won championships. 

Blame it all on Snyder.  If he isn't the worst owner in professional sports its because other owners are inhabited by the Devil.  Snyder needs to sell.   Sell, Dan, sell.   Retire to Florida.  Get the H out of DC.  Or wake up!!!   Its been 20 years of stinkeroo.  Don't you realize you are the cause!!!!

12 hours ago, DaveO said:

Thomas Boswell either joined the bandwagon or put an exclamation point on past commentary with his WaPo article stating that the Skins had lost Washington DC.

When I read this column, I immediately thought of Doug Williams, and reminisced about his great second quarter in Super Bowl XXII - here are two amazing facts I didn't know about that 35-point 2nd quarter:

* The Broncos had the ball to begin the quarter.

* The Redskins had the ball to end the quarter, and didn't score.

When you think about 35 points in a single quarter, the above two factoids make it even more amazing.

"Skin Deep - The Doug Williams Story" on nfl.com

Michael Wilbon's quote in the video, about "Hail to the Redskins," is both enlightening and full of pathos - I had no idea.

PS - Jeff Bostic went to Clemson. :)

On 11/18/2019 at 11:41 AM, DaveO said:

I happened to watch a little of the game while waiting to return to DC.  The Skins of course were horrible.  Their offense is the worst I've have seen; Replacement level QB, weak line protection, mediocre at best receiving corps, mostly mediocre running backs.  Essentially no talent on the 2019 version of the Skins.  Meanwhile, the defense, acclaimed at the beginning of the season, is porous.  They are weak, giving up a lot of points and putting the Skins in a hole virtually every game.

I felt so bad for Haskins, pleading with the offensive line -- what do they need from him to succeed -- and they're totally disinterested. He got drafted by a nightmare team. This is about as far from the Nationals 2019 team chemistry as is humanly possible.

And then there's the Nicholson thing. Unbelievable that he started the game! He's had two bad character off-field experiences in less than a calendar year and one happened in the week leading up to this game. It's a different sport and I sometimes take issue with Rizzo's handling of personnel on things he takes issue with, but there is no way that would have happened with the Nats.  No way.

24 minutes ago, Pat said:

I felt so bad for Haskins, pleading with the offensive line -- what do they need from him to succeed -- and they're totally disinterested. He got drafted by a nightmare team. This is about as far from the Nationals 2019 team chemistry as is humanly possible.

And then there's the Nicholson thing. Unbelievable that he started the game! He's had two bad character off-field experiences in less than a calendar year and one happened in the week leading up to this game. It's a different sport and I sometimes take issue with Rizzo's handling of personnel on things he takes issue with, but there is no way that would have happened with the Nats.  No way.

While I watched a little I didn't see that play.  In any case Morgan Moses responded for the lineman here.  It was a 7 man defensive blitz.  The Skins had 5 men blocking.  It occurs.  An experienced QB would probably have gotten rid of the ball quickly.  I suppose that suggests it is part of the learning process.