"The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961-1966) Sit-Com Created And (Sometimes) Written By Carl Reiner, Directed By Sheldon Leonard and Jerry Paris

DonRocks

Season 3, Episode 12. "The Sound Of The Trumpets Of Conscience Falls Deafly On A Brain That Holds Its Ears ... Or Something Like That!" - Dec 11, 1963:

Have you ever had one of "those moments" where a character appears on a TV show, and you *know* you've seen the character before, and try as you might, you just cannot figure out where? (Of course you have: That was a rhetorical question - we all have).

Well, it just happened when Lieutenant Yarnell came walking into the front office of the police station in this Dick Van Dyke show.

Thank *goodness* for internet search engines - it only took about a minute before I had my "Aha! Moment."

Meet Lieutenant Yarnell.

---

ETA - Interesting, I just found out I'm related to Dick Van Dyke (we're both descendants of John Alden). May be a somewhat distant relationship.

5 minutes ago, The Hersch said:

Ah, you mean the characters that these actors played were introduced in the first episode. I really didn't follow you. Mary Richards was introduced; Mary Tyler Moore had already played a starring role in the best American sit-com of the 1960s.

I know!

Watch the pilot sometime - it's *shockingly* bad. Don't say you weren't warned (and note the pronunciation of Petrie):

Watch the pilot sometime - it's *shockingly* bad. Don't say you weren't warned (and note the pronunciation of Petrie):

Funnily enough, I did watch the pilot and I did note the pronunciation of Petrie just a couple of days ago. Actually, I bailed about ten or twelve minutes in because it was shockingly bad. I only stumbled on it because Netflix inexplicably has it as an episode of season 1, and not the first episode either.

3 minutes ago, The Hersch said:

Funnily enough, I did watch the pilot and I did note the pronunciation of Petrie just a couple of days ago. Actually, I bailed about ten or twelve minutes in because it was shockingly bad. I only stumbled on it because Netflix inexplicably has it as an episode of season 1, and not the first episode either.

It's of historical importance - we've got to give it that. How they went from *this* disaster to such an *amazing* sit-com is beyond me, but I suppose Carl Reiner knew, somehow, that he had to do a 180 - and fast.