Craft, Chef Abbey de la Rosa in Tom Colicchio's Flagship on Park Avenue S. and E. 19th Street in Flatiron District

Sthitch said:
I would recommend Craft.  The food is simple, but perfectly prepared.  I have been a number of times, and never had a course, or a side that was anything other than spectacular.  As an example, the lobster is so sweet you will think that they must of added a touch of sugar to it. 

As for Artisanal, just go and order cheese or fondue, avoid the rest which is fine, but nothing spectacular.

I'm a fan of Craft too - my advice, go for the simple and you'll experience great ingredients perfectly prepared. The only things I've had there that I didn't love were the more complicated dishes.

Such that I've developed an addictions to hens of teh Woods Mushrooms.

HELLS YEAH that dish is so good.

What's interesting is, while the food being so darn good, what good service we received on both of our dinners there. Very warm and relaxed and friendly (and knowledgeable!).

I did not see a thread for Craft (itself). Wow. I wonder why?!!

It's because I started the New York City Forum without splitting up their Mother Thread (unlike the Philadelphia Forum which I spent an entire summer creating from their Mother Thread). In the New York City Mother Thread, you'll find numerous comments about Craft (read this post, and the two that follow, for example). I haven't ruled out doing this retroactively for NYC, btw, but doing it correctly will take several hundred hours.

It's because I started the New York City Forum without splitting up their Mother Thread (unlike the Philadelphia Forum which I spent an entire summer creating from their Mother Thread). In the New York City Mother Thread, you'll find numerous comments about Craft (read this post, and the two that follow, for example). I haven't ruled out doing this retroactively for NYC, btw, but doing it correctly will take several hundred hours.

Ahhhhhhh....Bach.  Understood now. Well I know how it started, but they have evolved and it is a freaking great place to have a meal that is for flippin' sure.

Over Memorial Day weekend, we hit up Craft again. So good. We splurged on a side dish of Morels that was quite, quite worth every penny. It's hard to go to new places when this place is so good.

The only off note was related to some other diners nearby. The obsessive use of the 'flashlight mode', to, presumably, see the menu better, devolved in to casually forgetting the flashlight mode was on and moving the phone around constantly making you feel like there was a disco ball effect in the dining room, but worse.

Flashlight mode phone use should be banned in restaurants. There, I said it.

Ate at Craft last Friday night.  As noted above this is simple food executed perfectly with great service. My wife had Halibut while I had Beef Short Ribs.  Mine was unctuous and went really well with the Grand Riserva i had brought from my cellar. Sides were Sunchokes and Hens of the Woods Mushrooms, both superb. Craft has a Mushroom section on the menu and you can order a single variety or a mixture.  

Corkage was well worth it.  They asked if we wanted it decanted and even so it took till 2nd glass for the wine to really shine.

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this up.  I'm taking my college aged kids up to NYC for a few days before Thanksgiving, and I'm looking places to eat....both "famous" places like this, as well as the little hole in the wall joints.

Don - This is from their website:  Abbey de la Rosa, Chef de Cuisine  (Taylor Naples is not listed)

6 hours ago, Bart said:

Thanks for bringing this up.  I'm taking my college aged kids up to NYC for a few days before Thanksgiving, and I'm looking places to eat....both "famous" places like this, as well as the little hole in the wall joints.

Which part of the city are you staying in?  Breakfast, lunch, dinner?  Meals in between?