Sign in to follow this  
NolaCaine

SER - Spanish Comfort Food Contest-Winning Restaurant in Ballston

On 9/14/2018 at 11:48 AM, NolaCaine said:

Fast forward 2.5 years and I still like SER. 

So glad to hear this.  I really enjoyed SER but haven't been for quite awhile.  I know there was a chef change at some point, so maybe why there's some inconsistency?

Went back to SER for the first time in quite some time.  I always like their interesting menu but the food's never been consistently good.

Gambas al Ajillo - lacking garlic flavor and on the chewy side

Croquetas - pretty good potato balls

Sardine Asada - filleted but still had some small bones, otherwise pretty good if you like grilled fishy fish

Codfish jowl and clams - the fish jowl meat is battered and then braised.  I thought it was bland and the kids didn't even like the clams.

Txangurro - bucatini with sea urchin and crab - good flavor but not much in terms of sea urchin, pasta was soft (not al dente)

Spanish Tortilla - excellent, I like them soft with lots of onion flavor (I prefer this over Reverie's extravagant version).

• Like 2

I usually order the Gambas al Ajillo during happy hour.  Sometimes it is excellent, sometimes chewy and the garlic is burnt.  We went there for Restaurant Week last month and the meal was terrific.  I had turnips appetizer which was unusual but satisfying.  We both had snapper filets for the entree which were delicious.  For dessert, husband had flan (which he loved although not a dessert person) and I had some chocolate mousse thing which was good but I was hoping to have the advertised churro with chocolate sauce which was not available that evening.  I was impressed but unfortunately the snapper is not available on their regular menu.  Oh well.

• Like 2