Dining in Frederick

We have a number of new ethnic restaurants that have recently open their doors up here in Frederick. I'm in the process of trying them all! Most f the new places are of the Mexican/South American variety - a taqueria, a Peruvian chicken place, a couple of Mexican places, Thai...

A small take-out place called Caballo Viejo (old horse?) serves arepas & roasted chicken as their specialty items. I did find the areaps quite good - but their daunting size precluded the ability to order more than one at a time! I'm a darn good eater, but couldn't finish an entire one for lunch. I like the size of the ones that used to serve at the old Cafe Latino. They were about 3" in diameter - so you could order a combo plate of 3 different taste sensations without feeling like too huge of a glutton.

Anyone tried any of the other new places yet?

Janis

http://thediningdiva.blogspot.com/

That's funny, Janis, I had an arepa and a tamarindo for lunch today from Caballo Viejo myself. The arepa was too large and too bready, I could only eat about half of it, but the chorizo and veg filling was fantastic. It's a nice addition to town. Have you tried the rotisserie chicken yet?

That's funny, Janis, I had an arepa and a tamarindo for lunch today from Caballo Viejo myself. The arepa was too large and too bready, I could only eat about half of it, but the chorizo and veg filling was fantastic. It's a nice addition to town. Have you tried the rotisserie chicken yet?

No, I haven't had their chicken. But I did make it over to the new Peruvian chicken place across from Home Depot - I think it's called "Don Chicken". The bird was really good. The fried yucca was so delicious that it was almost impossible not to polish off the entire order - which was substantial. I didn't know I was a yucca fan.... Now, I know. And, by all means - skip their cole slaw. They don't make it - it's purchased and is a gloppy mess.

Somewhere I read that there's a taqueria somewhere out on 40 that's only open on the weekend. Anyone know where it is?

My sister-in-law, in Frederick, is having one of those 'zero' birthdays, and we're looking for a downtown place that would be good for four adults and three children, ages four, eleven and sixteen. We would welcome any suggestions.

Tasting Room has a small private back room that might be perfect. It even has a private door to the outside if the kids get restless and need to move.

Tasting Room has a small private back room that might be perfect. It even has a private door to the outside if the kids get restless and need to move.

I think that's a good suggestion. Seven might be tight in that room even if 3 are little. I'd ask about it if you call for reservations and they can help you judge. Just realize, though, that the menu might have limited kid options (depending on how young they are) and you might consider whether the cost for the kids will be worth it. Volt has a great private room, too, and for whatever reason MAY be more flexible to create something for the kids if you ask ahead of time. I'm not sure what I'm basing that thought on--maybe it's b/c their kitchen is so versatile to serve so many different menus--but it's a thought worth exploring. . It'll be pricy regardless Volt is worthy of a special occassion.

Pax,
Brian

Seven might be tight in that room even if 3 are little.

We did a party of 6 adults in the back room at Tasting Room, and did not feel the least bit cramped. Adding a 4-year-old to the mix would not be a problem.

That said, neither Volt nor TR have what I would call a kid-friendly menu, and in neither place will you get out quicker than 2 hours. You'll have to judge for yourself whether the youngest would tolerate this.

We did a party of 6 adults in the back room at Tasting Room, and did not feel the least bit cramped. Adding a 4-year-old to the mix would not be a problem.

That said, neither Volt nor TR have what I would call a kid-friendly menu, and in neither place will you get out quicker than 2 hours. You'll have to judge for yourself whether the youngest would tolerate this.

Thanks for the information. For the four-year-old, and likely the eleven-year-old, too, it would appear as though their patience would end far sooner than the meal. While the rest of us would enjoy it, expecting the same of the kids seems to be the triumph of hope over experience. If there are any other suggestions, I would very much appreciate them.

IF you don't mind heading out of downtown - we have really enjoyed our meals at G.Hunter's out on 40. We have been there 4 times and was happy with every meal. This surprised me because I wasn't expecting to be impressed - especially since the other restaurants run/managed by the same owner have a tendency toward mediocrity.

Kids are generally fond of Brewer's Alley (owned by the same guy as G. Hunter's). I have mixed feelings about the Alley. Sometimes the food has been good, sometimes downright awful. But, it's priced right and is loud so that the kids won't feel like they have to whisper.

Cacique is a good place for a family group also.

LUcky Corner is a Vietnamese restaurant at the corner of 7th and Market - still considered downtown, but a bit past the "shady" side. Their staff is great - be sure to ask that the chef keep the sugar to a minimum unless you like dessert-sweet entrees. When I ask that they not add any sugar, their food has turned out very tasty...Skip the summer rolls, though - far too much noodle, not enough vegetable.

Firestone's has good food - and now that there is a no-smoking rule - it's definitely worth a trip.

---

Philly's Cheesesteak Factory (ol_ironstomach)

There's not a lot of talk on the boards about the dining scene up here in Frederick County (other than Volt of course)..But lately, I have found a few places that have proved very pleasant!

The first - Taco Michoacan. It's a little taqueria heading out west on Rt 40 just before the intersection with I-70 west. There's not much to it, just a small storefront and a charming woman who speaks minimal English but makes great soft corn tortilla tacos. A wide range of fillings is available - you just need to be patient as everything is made to order - one by one.

Her polla con crema made quite the hit with my 16 year old daughter - an avowed chicken eater. Rich and cream and slightly spicy. And, there are a variety of tortas (sandwiches) available that are also pretty tasty. All dishes are served with salsa & fresh limes & as much cilantro as you like.

One of my new favorite places is Mick's American Bistro. It's on Patrick Street where Jennifer's used to be (our former mayor). THe chef is not afraid to take risks and offers up some interesting fare. Gazpacho flavored with horseradish,smoked EVOO and topped with avocado; Huge shrimp (head-on shell-on) served over curried rice noodles, meatloaf over creamy creamy dreamy mashed potatoes, seared diver scallops over polenta with fennel/radish relish on top. Duo of roasted marrow with crusty bread.. Yay!

Oh - and we couldn't resist. We ordered the special appetizer of the day - Deep fried pig tail. I'm not a big pork lover, and certainly I doubted that I would be a fan of such a dish. Well, I wasn't wrong. Even though it was deep fried which does make most things taste pretty darn good - it was still too piggy for me. I did, however, enjoy the arugula garnish and rose/sea salt it was served with! (picture attached)

FYI: The first Saturday of every month is Gallery Walk where the downtown area comes alive and stays alive with tons of visitors strolling and dining in the historic district. Also, theres live music along the Creek two Thursdays a month during the warm months. Must be over 21 to attend and there's lots of beer/wine and friends to meet. Come up for a visit!

I have reviewed some of the places I frequent on my blog: www.thediningdiva.blogspot.com if you're interested...

post-4042-125019293325_thumb.jpg

A couple of updates to the Frederick dining scene:

New favorites:

Mick's American Bistro - upscale American fare with interesting twists when Chef Jeff is feeling creative: Mick's Website

The Buzz - in Monrovia, has great sandwiches and wonderful baked goods. Buzz Website

I blogged about both of these here: Micks & Buzz blog

Juliet's - Italian store/deli/gelato/take out....I've only had a few items, but everything has been very tasty - the mozzarella veggie short baguette was filled with fresh, soft mozzarella & a well seasoned artichoke/olive salad.. Juliets Market

Once good/Now, not so much:
Fajita Grande. Still enjoy the margaritas and salsa. But the food? no.
Hinode - oy. service problems, small portions, fabulous location

---

Doc Geiser's Carryout & Catering (ol_ironstomach)

The latest newsletter from South Mountain Creamery includes information about their participation in Farm-to-Fork Frederick.  It's running this year from August 28 to September 7th.  Restaurants using their products for this event highlighting locally sourced foods include Family Meal and La Paz.  More information on Farm-to-Fork Frederick here.

---

Reina (Koozebanian Fazoob)

Heading to Frederick for dinner with friends in two weeks.  We head up there a couple times a year to meet with another couple as it's pretty much half way from both our houses.  We usually eat at Family Meal, but are looking to try something different.  Still want that casual vibe and mid-priced menu.  Right now, Tasting Room and Monocacy Crossing are both on the target list.  Can anyone make any additional recommendations or suggest which of these might be more appealing?

---

The Wine Kitchen (dinoue)

South Market Sandwich Co. (lion)

Heading to Frederick for dinner with friends in two weeks.  We head up there a couple times a year to meet with another couple as it's pretty much half way from both our houses.  We usually eat at Family Meal, but are looking to try something different.  Still want that casual vibe and mid-priced menu.  Right now, Tasting Room and Monocacy Crossing are both on the target list.  Can anyone make any additional recommendations or suggest which of these might be more appealing?

Might be too late at this point in time, but Reina is worth a look if you want to try something Latin American. There's also Pistarro's, which is generally pretty good (many of the best things on the menu aren't pizza just FYI).

If you haven't done Ayse yet, that's generally the first one I recommend, especially with a large number of friends or family to share everything with. Price can swing pretty high or low depending on what you order, but most of what they have is good.

Monocacy Crossing is solid. Had some really delicious stuff here the last time I went, and the Coconut Poundcake was pretty great. Also I ordered a shot of a craft brewed Absinthe that they had ... and they gave me about half a snifter full of it. I appreciate it, but wow guys that stuff isn't light.

Also related to Frederick dining! Has anyone been to Cafe Bueno yet? It's a little place along East Street (south of 7th Street IIRC) in a small stripmall. Everything I've read so far suggests it's very good, but I haven't had a chance to run out there myself. Why am I reading about food at 11:30pm. Now I'm hungry.

• Like 1

Heading to Frederick for dinner with friends in two weeks.  We head up there a couple times a year to meet with another couple as it's pretty much half way from both our houses.  We usually eat at Family Meal, but are looking to try something different.  Still want that casual vibe and mid-priced menu.  Right now, Tasting Room and Monocacy Crossing are both on the target list.  Can anyone make any additional recommendations or suggest which of these might be more appealing?

---

The Wine Kitchen (dinoue)

South Market Sandwich Co. (lion)

I would say Tasting Room in a heartbeat, had some of the best meals in Frederick there. I went to Monocacy Crossing a few times when it was new, and thought it just okay but never returned after having a disgusting paella--nothing unsanitary just tasted bad in a way that I could not articulate, since I'm hardly an expert in paella (though the paella at Isabella's is okay). Maybe I should give them another chance, I don't know.