Classic TV Commercials From The 1960s and 1970s

DonRocks

The famous Orson Welles Paul Masson commercial outtakes, when he was totally blotto:

Is this real, or is it a joke? Do you see how many people are in that room? There must have been fifty people who came here for this, and there's no way they could have possibly finished it that day.

That's hilarious. Was there a dispute over payment?

Is this real, or is it a joke? Do you see how many people are in that room? There must have been fifty people who came here for this, and there's no way they could have possibly finished it that day.

That's hilarious. Was there a dispute over payment?

I know no more than what appears in the video, but if Welles is faking being drunk, he was an even better actor than I thought. Here's a clip that concludes with a take that I think was actually used:

It appears to use a voice-over that was not simultaneously recorded, so maybe they brought Welles back after he'd sobered up.

"Iron Eyes Cody" was actually a Sicilian-American raised by a Cajun family in Kaplan, LA!

I can still remember some of those cigarette commercials and slogans. Winston tastes good like a cigarette should. Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch. Lucky Strike means fine tobacco.

"Iron Eyes Cody" was actually a Sicilian-American raised by a Cajun family in Kaplan, LA!

I can still remember some of those cigarette commercials and slogans. Winston tastes good like a cigarette should. Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch. Lucky Strike means fine tobacco.

Most notably, the Tareyton slogan was "Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch", which annoyed school-marms from coast to coast. "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should" caused an even louder furor among the grammatically correct (who wanted it corrected to "as a cigarette should"). I remember a parody in Mad Magazine, which changed it to "Winsoms smoke true, like a cigarette do." I remember another Mad commercial parody. Prell shampoo had a commercial with the jingle "How does it feel to drench your hair in luxury?" Mad's version: "How would you like to drench your head in chicken-fat?" At least, that's how I recall it.

• Like 1

Most notably, the Tareyton slogan was "Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch", which annoyed school-marms from coast to coast. "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should" caused an even louder furor among the grammatically correct (who wanted it corrected to "as a cigarette should"). I remember a parody in Mad Magazine, which changed it to "Winsoms smoke true, like a cigarette do." I remember another Mad commercial parody. Prell shampoo had a commercial with the jingle "How does it feel to drench your hair in luxury?" Mad's version: "How would you like to drench your head in chicken-fat?" At least, that's how I recall it.

Winston itself even ran a later ad in which a professorly-appearing person corrected that bit of bad grammar when some (students?) repeated it.

Winston itself even ran a later ad in which a professorly-appearing person corrected that bit of bad grammar when some (students?) repeated it.

I can see the ad now:

Student: "My doctor told me I had cancer."

Teacher: "Have. You *have* cancer."

• Like 2

I can see the ad now:

Student: "My doctor told me I had cancer."

Teacher: "Have. You *have* cancer."

This reminds me of a couple of jokes.

First, this was popular among struggling actors in LA back in the seventies:

1st actor: "Your agent went to your house, raped your wife, murdered your children, and burned the house down."

2nd actor: "My agent went to my house???"

From Gilbert Gottfried:

A man goes to the doctor. The doctor says "You have cancer, and you have Alzheimer's." The man says "Well thank God I don't have cancer!"