River Falls Market (Formerly River Falls Seafood Co.) River and Falls Road in Potomac

porcupine

f you live near the Village, and don't have a car, it's a convenient place to drop by for very average food. Otherwise, don't bother.

Arguably one would be better off with the very average food at Chicken Out, or the baked goods from Vie de France...at least you'd avoid that feeling of just having paid a premium for your average food.

There's only one dish in the Village that's truly worth a detour IMHO, and that's the crabcake sandwich lunch platter from River Falls Seafood. Yes, the fishmonger serves up a lovely heap of lump backfin on a roll with lettuce, tomato and some tartar sauce. Of course, nowadays one first has to negotiate a parking lot gauntlet of land yachts piloted by people with more money and attitude than brains or skill, but them's the breaks.

p.s. Feh.

There's only one dish in the Village that's truly worth a detour IMHO, and that's the crabcake sandwich lunch platter from River Falls Seafood.

Well, scratch that plan. Not only does River Falls no longer offer the crabcake sandwich lunch, but they've also switched to some name-brand supplier for their crabcakes.

Feh.

This past Saturday I stopped in River Falls Seafood, which is next door to Renato Italian restaurant and run by someone who apparently knows a thing or two about seafood. It is neat and clean, but at 6:30 on a Saturday night, with only 3-4 customers in the place, the service was slooooowww....but they made up for the slow service with their obscenely criminal prices. Jeesh! I was hoping to score some rockfish for my cooler, but at $25 a pound, that wasn't going to happen. And the tuna, salmon and sea bass all approached $30 a pound -- I believe the tuna was closer to $35 a pound. I bought four tuna burgers at $5.99 each, and left with a thought that I should open something, anything, in Potomac and charge outrageous prices. I know the locals rave about this place and swear by the crab cakes, but I would understand it better if I walked in the door with my hands over my head and a gun pointed at me.

Turned out Lady Kibbee and I both had significant gastro-intestinal events after consuming the tuna burgers....we won't be returning here anytime soon.

Although River-Falls Market may be my favorite in the DMV, don't be fooled by the "$19.99-a Pound, Nora Pouillon," Alaskan salmon special going on in July - I bought a whole, skin-on, side of salmon today, and it isn't much to speak of. On a side note, they were also offering a $49.99-a Pound salmon today, so don't be fooled into thinking that you're getting their best product by economizing and spending $19.99 a pound; you aren't.