Where Have You Lived?

DonRocks

Mama's from way up the Shenandoah valley in WV, daddy's from bawlmore (and all their roots as well) I'se born at PG general in cheverly, raised in brookland dc all my life, schooled in hyattsville and Georgetown, pit stops in oberlin and London for half undergrad, back home to dc... till last year, when the wife and I moved to the greatest city you'll ever find, New Orleans

• Like 2

Ok, Dr Evil reference aside:

Born in Kingston NY and lived in Saugerties until I was 9. My father worked for IBM (I've Been Moved) so we moved to Winchester England for about a year and then back to NY. Then we were transferred to Madison WI where we lived in the town of Middleton. At 12, my folks split up and I moved with my mother down to Raleigh NC where I lived until I graduated from High School. Then I moved to Salisbury MD and lived there for about 4 years despite hating that hick town, but I have family there and also I went to Salisbury University (at the time Salisbury State College). Then I transferred to Ohio State University (now THE Ohio State University) and lived in Columbus for a year and a half. Then I moved back to Salisbury for the opportunity to work for the company my dad ran (not IBM). Did that for 6 years, saved some $$$, and took off for Europe where I traveled through 18 countries in a year. When I returned I moved to Alexandria. Over the next 10 years I lived in Old Town, Shirlington, back to Old Town, over to Del Ray, back to Old Town, then Capitol Hill, and Rockville. Over the past two years I've lived in Fairfax. I haven't lived in the same house for more than 3 years my whole life.

I'm considering Madagascar as my next move where I'll pursue my dream of being a lemur.

• Like 1

Ok, Dr Evil reference aside:

Born in Kingston NY and lived in Saugerties until I was 9. My father worked for IBM (I've Been Moved) so we moved to Winchester England for about a year and then back to NY. Then we were transferred to Madison WI where we lived in the town of Middleton. At 12, my folks split up and I moved with my mother down to Raleigh NC where I lived until I graduated from High School. Then I moved to Salisbury MD and lived there for about 4 years despite hating that hick town, but I have family there and also I went to Salisbury University (at the time Salisbury State College). Then I transferred to Ohio State University (now THE Ohio State University) and lived in Columbus for a year and a half. Then I moved back to Salisbury for the opportunity to work for the company my dad ran (not IBM). Did that for 6 years, saved some $$$, and took off for Europe where I traveled through 18 countries in a year. When I returned I moved to Alexandria. Over the next 10 years I lived in Old Town, Shirlington, back to Old Town, over to Del Ray, back to Old Town, then Capitol Hill, and Rockville. Over the past two years I've lived in Fairfax. I haven't lived in the same house for more than 3 years my whole life.

I'm considering Madagascar as my next move where I'll pursue my dream of being a lemur.

Ha!  My dad worked for IBM too and know all about the I've Been Moved  stuff.   He worked in NYC starting out on typewriters then copiers.

In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
But she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
I put my Walkman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

First class, yo this is bad
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like?
Hmmmmm this might be alright.

But wait I hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that
Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don't think so
I'll see when I get there
I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air

Well, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out
I ain't trying to get arrested yet
I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Yo, homes to Bel Air'

I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'
I looked at my kingdom

I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air
  • Like 1

But the real story

Born in Baltimore, MD

Couple of years in Towson, then the rest in Timonium (parents still live in the house I grew up in)

Summers at Camp Dudley in Westport NY and the rest of the summers on Buzzard's Bay

University of MD College Park for two years, then 2.5 years at Lynchburg Colllege, Lynchburg Virginia\

Back to Timonium, worked in Baltimore, Ellicot City, Frederick

Then off to Wilmington De for a couple of years

Back to Bmore (Hampden hunn!)

Then Fairfax, Va, year and 1/2 in Chevy Chase

Mclean and now Tyson's