Sign in to follow this  
Kibbee Nayee

Scott Boras, an American Sports Agent Specializing in Negotiating Baseball Contracts

19 minutes ago, DaveO said:

I don't blame Boras either.  I worked as a "tenant broker" for a couple of decades.  It's really the same thing.  As an agent you work the market to get the best deal possible for your client.   If it works for a long term deal the player's financial life is set (if he is reasonable and not a stupid spendthrift).  If it doesn't work for the player, well he has to keep playing.   A player might keep playing to support his team, the fans, and his owner but suffer so badly he ruins his contract opportunities.  A current example is Isiah Thomas in basketball although $2.3 million/year is mighty good.  But he sacrificed probably $10-15 million/year or more for long term.

When viewing what occurs it is ugly.  No doubt.  It hurts the local rooting public.  It also defines "market" in an imperfect world economic system where all you need is for one participant to "break" .   Its certainly not fan friendly.

I hope Rendon stays.  I think to do so the Lerner's will have to "pony up".  If they do I'll probably pay $1-3 more for a beer at the stadium next year.  But I don't blame Boras.

I blame Boras for the single reason that he manipulates the market, the players, and the owners for sole purpose of making the most money. His goal in life is to be the biggest, baddest, most vulgar greed-monger in the game, and he has achieved it. It's not about the team, the fans, the game, or the individual player, it's always about money. He has no other value. He is all about greed (and dishonesty, which he can get away with in the current rules.)

3 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I blame Boras for the single reason that he manipulates the market, the players, and the owners for sole purpose of making the most money. His goal in life is to be the biggest, baddest, most vulgar greed-monger in the game, and he has achieved it. It's not about the team, the fans, the game, or the individual player, it's always about money. He has no other value. He is all about greed (and dishonesty, which he can get away with in the current rules.)

I assume Boras' job is probably 90% about the money and 10% about the welfare of the player.  At say 90% it is an ugly public spectacle.  The local fans want their player to stay; the player either on his own, or with Boras' (or another agents) effort is pushing/reminding the player how much $$$$ there is in the open market.  The player goes out on the market.  We don't really know what is occurring but there could be leaks.  The fees can get crazy--say $300 million.  The player looks like an asshole to the home town fans, but the player also secures his future (and many times over at that rate). 

I don't feel bad for the owners.  It was recently announced that the owner of the KC Royals is selling the team for $1 billion.  He purchased the franchise in 2000 for $96 million.  Nice Profit.  Kansas City.  That is a tough franchise.  Limited revenue base.  It mostly can't compete with the big spenders.  Meanwhile the current owner gets a $900 million profit.  Damn good.

When a player is "working the market" to get his best price and his agent is playing the other owners to get one to fork over big big beaucoup bucks it is an ugly sight.  But it is the way the market works in an "imperfect market". 

Frankly I hope the Lerner's come up with the cash to keep Rendon.  I like his play and style.  Meanwhile Harper and Machado, who were among those that got great big killer long term contracts at the start of this season are having very mediocre seasons.  Trout who got a huge payout to stay is having a great season.  It's a crap shoot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Trout who got a huge payout to stay is having a great season.  It's a crap shoot.

And there you go! The kind of player (and person) who avoids Boras is Mike Trout. Or Derek Jeter. Or Cal Ripken Jr.

Think of the 30-something or 40-something trophy wife who marries the 70-something billionaire. Is that a marriage built on love? Or is that a marriage built on money?

Greed is the ugly underbelly of baseball, and Boras is its salivating cheerleader.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

When it comes to anything other than money, Scott Boras is [No!] and is bad for baseball.

Well, he's an agent who has to try and get his clients the most money possible over a finite career, so...

Boras isn't driving MLB attendance, stadium/ tv revenue, or doing anything than representing his players to a set of owners/ GM's.

7 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

He also squeezed the Brewers for $214 million for Prince Fielder, who hasn't played since 2016 but is owed $24 million a year through the end of 2020.

Did Scott Boras also somehow create Prince Fielder's degenerative neck injury? Is it somehow Boras's fault that MLB contracts are guaranteed (though insurance picks up Prince's salary now)? Would you prefer a system like the NFL's, where a player can be cut and have remaining contract years voided for nearly any reason - including injury?

Surely there is a [No!]

[Go easy folks, and don't snipe at each other - both opinions here are valid (although PLEASE watch the personal comments, even with Boras ("evil" is a personal insult, and I know I've said that about one person, so I'm probably just as guilty here) ... but especially with each other) - use FACTS and EXAMPLES; don't hurl epithets.]

Cheers,
Your denmother.