TemptAsian Cafe, Szechuan in Landmark just West of I-395 on Route 236 in West Alexandria - Closed

Old favorites were good as always - ground fish rolls and Baby Wontons (though the ones in chili oil did literally leave some members of our party gasping for airĀ  :huh: )

It is amazing how a slippery baby wonton, though small, can fit so neatly in one's esophagus. Cutting off the airway from the mouth then triggers the attempt to get air through the nose, with the end result of driving the chili oil directly into the sinuses.

:lol:

The fact that I ate several more wontons after the mishap should tell you just how good they are.

Every dish was delicious, but if I returned with fewer people, the ones I couldn't pass up would be the beef jerky (not anesthesia-hot, but hot enough) and probably the roasted fish. The anise flavor in the beef and the cumin flavor in the fish made this the most unexpected, nuanced Chinese cooking I've ever tasted.

Great company all around the table and a wonderful introduction to this delicious place!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rolled into TemptAsian starving...and rolled out off TemtAsian stuffed.

A small store front style restaurant, we took over an entire corner on a wobbly table that threatened to dump the evenings dishes on mine and Shogun's laps. A large lazy susan sat empty save some pots of green tea. The TemptAsian rookies let the veterans order, even attempting to go through the two large books of menus and make any sense on what to order was impossible.

Surprising the meal started with a large thud, 2 plates of dense tasteless dumplings and I was thinking was my rare trip out to the burbs a waste. Plate of what looked like cold uncooked bacon...eh?

And then the hot chili oil stuck. Three large bowls of wonton soup were passed around, nice airy wontons, but again not really detecting much flavor, POW, can't talk, must have water, chili oil coating my throat...gasping for air.

Then what followed was a hit parade of one yummy dish after another.

Beef Jerky with hot sauce was perhaps top 3 dishes for me, exceptional.

Pork with ferns, had a deep earthy flavor

Chinese sloppy joes were addictive

Fried fish, they said it was cod, took the term fish nugget to whole new levels.

and then the platter of pork belly...I had three chunks...beautiful.

The funniest moment of the night was when another customer passed our table heading to the restroom, stopped and looked dumbfounded at our table for at least 30 seconds trying to comprehend the litter of empty plates.

and all for $16...just can't be beat!

Edited by Tweaked

I have eaten at TemptAsian quite a few times, including the JohnB series last Summer. This was as good, or better, than any meal I've had there. The standouts (to my tastebuds) were the various pork dishes and the roasted fish. Wait! I didn't mention the three kinds of wontons in spicy or chili sauce. Chef Peter Chang, who fortuitiously was on duty last night, knows how to make the outside of almost any dish (except the pork bellies) crispy and the inside moist and flavorful. It was a gemĆ¼tlich crowd and we ended up paying about a dollar per dish per person. Imagine what the Maestro crowd would have to ingest if that rule held!

We finally ate here Friday - and while there's nothing terribly new I can add about the great cilantro fish rolls, baby wonton chicken flavor, triple stuffed bean curd skin, stir fried eggplant, and roasted fish with green onion (that spice mixture is addictive) - I can say that if you have lurked on this thread as long as I did, GO ALREADY! :lol:

Occasionally I am dragged out to the wilds of south Alexandria to keep my husband company as he fiddles with computers. My reward for today's outing was, as usual, a visit to Temptasian. We ordered the spicy diced rabbit (which really should be renamed Delicious Cold Chunks O' Bunny), spicy & sour baby wontons, the legendary roasted fish, beef stew in hot pot, and some spinach sauteed in garlic.

I love those wontons. They're a big red bowl of fiery sour slippery wonderfulness, well worth the inevitable stained blouse. We'd never tried the beef stew before - nifty, Chinese pot roast.

Hmm. We just got back a half hour ago. Is it too soon to dip into the leftovers?

Two weeks ago a Chinese follow from Canada who is staying with me went to TemptAsian on my recommendation. He enjoyed it, but said the pictures and certificates of Peter Chaing were not on the wall as I told him they would be. I thought that was strange, and wondered if it meant he had departed. A post(link) appeared on Chowhound this afternoon in which the writer (Jane) says she heard PC has left the restaurant--she goes on to tell a story about him having left the Chinese embassy, having the wrong visa and thus being illegal, on the run, etc. (she strangely concludes that he has thus lost "credibility" and she won't eat his food any more----huh???)

My Chinese friend reported the food was fine, and other posters here have reported the same. I recall several remarks that the food at China Star is still good even tho PC is gone from there.

It so happens that we were planning, snow or no snow, to eat there this eve. If we make it I'll report anything more I learn.

Edited by johnb

Two weeks ago a Chinese follow from Canada who is staying with me went to TemptAsian on my recommendation.Ā  He enjoyed it, but said the pictures and certificates of Peter Chaing were not on the wall as I told him they would be.Ā  I thought that was strange, and wondered if it meant he had departed.Ā  A post(link) appeared on Chowhound this afternoon in which the writer (Jane) says she heard PC has left the restaurant--she goes on to tell a story about him having left the Chinese embassy, having the wrong visa and thus being illegal, on the run, etc. (she strangely concludes that he has thus lost "credibility" and she won't eat his food any more----huh???)

My Chinese friend reported the food was fine, and other posters here have reported the same.Ā  I recall several remarks that the food at China Star is still good even tho PC is gone from there.

It so happens that we were planning, snow or no snow, to eat there this eve.Ā  If we make it I'll report anything more I learn.

John, I share your puzzlement. Does this woman make her culinary decisions based on Beijing foreign policy? Come on! I look forward to hearing your report (snow permitting). Anyway, when our Tuesday night group was there a couple of weeks ago, Chef Chang was in top form and came out at the end to take a bow.

Grover and I were there on Thursday night and the fried fish was as good as ever (even if I do find it a bit salty) and the pork belly with steamed buns and broccoli was as tender and tasty as could be. Even though we didn't see chef Chang personally, his personality came through in the food.

It's confirmed. Peter Chaing (Chang??) is gone, and apparently has been for two weeks or so, apparently just after the DR group dined there and saw him in the flesh. I tried to find out more about where he may be, and "way out Lee Hwy" was mentioned, but I don't know how reliable that is. I also got differing stories about the new kitchen crew--in one case supposedly trained by PC, in another case a chef from NY with 26 years experience.

The meal was just OK, and obviously not up to the old standard. The spicy baby dumplings were no longer baby size, and were served is a fairly thin broth with no dried fish as flavoring. They weren't bad, and they were spicy, but the flavor just wasn't there, and the broth was watery. The cilantro fish rolls were similar to before but with less fish and more greens. Again not as much flavor. The spicy beef roll was actually good, but was much larger than before and had bean paste incorporated.

For mains we ordered the Chan Cang (sp???) beef (the chinese sloppy joe from the special menu), the Tong Po pork, and the smoked duck also on the special menu. The duck was quite good. The other two looked the same as before (tho the beef has changed color), but were severely lacking in flavor. For example, the beef had no cumin, unlike the load it had before. In general, while not bad, they just weren't very interesting. Bland by comparison.

All in all, the restaurant is still OK, but the loss of PC is very evident. No longer a destination. We'll have to see if they can turn it around.

Now let's get out our antennae and try to find this guy!

All in all, the restaurant is still OK, but the loss of PC is very evident.Ā  No longer a destination.Ā  We'll have to see if they can turn it around.

I had dinner there on February 2nd. In an effort to convince our server to be fearless with the spicing, I assured him that we wanted the dishes Szechuan style, and then asked if Chef Chang was in so he'd perhaps pick up on that. He said yes!

Well, the dishes weren't of comparable quality to what they've been in the past. The spicy beef roll and the roasted fish - two of my standby favorites - were both good, but not great. I had never tried the beef jerky that everyone here raves about, and I was left wondering what everyone sees in it. A pigs feet special was boldly spiced, but not particularly thrilling or well-executed. Watercress with garlic was a good, standard-issue version. My friend who was in from California, and to whom I raved about the restaurant, was underwhelmed (he had tried Chang's cooking at China Star and loved it). I wrote it off to a bad night.

Tears,

Rocks.

Rocks,

You have connections, everyone knows someone who knows someone. Let's find this guy but somehow give him a code name so they won't know who we are talking about, you know like POTUS. You're quick with stuff like that. We have to protect Chef Chang. Maybe we could find him an American wife and get him his papers.

Even my kids are upset. This is bad. Please find him.

I tried to find out more about where he may be, and "way out Lee Hwy" was mentioned, but I don't know how reliable that is.Ā 

the only possible good news in this is that "way out Lee Hwy" would put Chef Chang closer to moi. I will keep my eyes and ears open for developments out this way -- reviews in the local fishwraps, etc.

Jlock and I went yesterday at lunch, and it was good, but not as outstanding as it was previously. The roasted fish was still quite worth ordering, but everything was spicier and less delicately flavored. The other dishes were first time tries, so I couldn't make a direct comparison.

Anyway, when our Tuesday night group was there a couple of weeks ago, Chef Chang was in top form and came out at the end to take a bow.

I'm very sad to hear that things may have taken a turn for the worse at Temptasian. I've been jonesin' for those spicy and sour baby wontons since the DR.com dinner!

I did notice during our dinner that the photos and medals were no longer on the wall and had been replaced by something along the lines of 'hotel art sale landscape' - wondered what that meant... hope Chef Change can be tracked down!

Edited by goldenticket

Add another report of 'downhill' concern:

txaggie and I finally made it there about two weeks ago. It was good, but definitely underwhelming. The main problems for me were the amount of oil (some dishes were almost inedibly oily), and lack of spice (though not heat). We had the roast fish that's gotten raves, but I'm not sure if they brought out the right dish. We were served pieces of fish coated in an eggy, salty batter (which seemed fried, not roasted to me). Not bad, exactly, but not great either.

We were served pieces of fish coated in an eggy, salty batter (which seemed fried, not roasted to me).Ā Ā  Not bad, exactly, but not great either.

That's the right dish and I had exactly the same reaction as you did! It certainly didn't meet my expectations of "roasted fish" (fried? where's the skin and bones?). I did think it was good but wasn't quite sure about all the raves I had read here. When I ordered it, it came coated with that crystal cumin spice that seems to cause that "anesthetic effect" - did yours have that?

Edited by goldenticket

That's the right dish and I had exactly the same reaction as you did!Ā  It certainly didn't meet my expectations of "roasted fish" (fried? where's the skin and bones?).Ā  I did think it was good but wasn't quite sure about all the raves I had read here.Ā  When I ordered it, it came coated with that crystal cumin spice that seems to cause that "anesthetic effect" - did yours have that?

we had the same reaction. It is definitely fried and in Chinese I believe it's noted as a "filet". I found it overly salty but tasty.

we had the same reaction.Ā  It is definitely fried and in Chinese I believe it's noted as a "filet".Ā  I found it overly salty but tasty.

From the first time it was ordered the description always seemed strange. Roasted fish with green onion. Nowhere near the description of what you are actually getting, nicely roasted fillets of fish with pepper and cumin.

I will say that the descriptions from recent visits clearly show that this is not the same quality as the dish that has been served in the recent past. Too bad! :lol:

I just read the 100 very best restaurants and found out Tempt Asia is ranked *** out of **** by Washingtonian magazine.

Do you think this restaurant really deserve ***s?

IMO it absolutely did until recently, as is supported by comments throughout this thread (not least your own husband's comments (and yours??) as recently as two days ago), and in other fora, including Tom's reviews. However, without Chang, I would say it's not likely it still does.

Restaurant reviews, unfortunately, have a short life. That's one good reason for these boards.

Edited by johnb

IMO it absolutely did until recently, as is supported by comments throughout this thread (not least your own husband's comments (and yours??) as recently as two days ago), and in other fora, including Tom's reviews.Ā  However, without Chang, I would say it's not likely it still does.

Restaurant reviews, unfortunately, have a short life.Ā  That's one good reason for these boards.

I think if you are careful to pick and choose, Tempt Asian is still a cut above most "grab and go" Chinese restaurants. As I said earlier, the porkbelly was as good as what we had when Peter Chang was here, but you're absolutely correct, shelf life of most restaurant reviews is very short.

Egads. The roasted fish tasted fine when fresh at the restaurant, but when I reheated the leftovers I could see the huge difference between the previous version and the one we got last Friday. (bear in mind that I had eaten an entire bowl of spicy & sour baby wontons before tackling the fish at the restaurant, so my delicate-meter was offline) There was more breading than fish, and the fish quality was not what it had been. Weird texture, too, like the compressed contents of a fish stick. Can't blame the microwave for that, since I reheated the fish in the oven...

The rabbit and wontons were still very good, so I'll certainly return when we're in the area. China Star rebounded, so we'll see if Temptasian can also stay the Sichuan course post-Chang.

I took the bull by the horns, called TemptAsian and spoke with "the manager". Where is Peter Chang working now? He's on vacation. When will he be back? That's up to him. If he's just on vacation, why are his pictures and plaques gone from the wall? That's customary. Well, where can we reach him -- we have someone who can talk to him in Chinese. Tell the Chinese person to call me, I'll be glad to talk to him.

Conclusion: there's something fishy in that restaurant, and it's not trout.

I have to admit I was skeptical about whether Temptasian could really have declined so much after the chef's departure. You'd think (or at least hope) that the rest of the kitchen staff would have picked up a thing or two over time. So I was reasonably optimistic when my friend and I went for lunch last Friday. But when the spicy baby wontons arrived, I was absolutely astonished that something that had once been so hot and flavorful could be so utterly bland and tasteless. They looked like they'd have flavor, but it was as if the broth was nothing but water, with a small dash of chili oil added.

The rest wasn't much better. The beef jerky was pleasant tasting but seemed to have spent too long in a refrigerator, and the beef hot pot was mearly acceptable, more like a diner pot roast. The one dish that was fairly successful bore little resemblance to what I was expecting; I think we ordered some sort of fish or shrimp cake but got something like cigar-shaped spinach-filled spring rolls. They were pretty good, but either I didn't understand what I was asking for or they brought us the wrong dish.

Given what a pain it is to get in and out of that shopping center, I doubt I'll go back. (Although I'll still brave the parking lot to shop at Grand Mart, which is marvelous.)

The hunt for Peter Chang continues. It's just a question of whether we find him before la migra (immigration) does.Ā  If we do, we'll adopt him, marry him, convert him, whatever it takes.

First, this is the funniest post I have ever read, and even more so because I believe it to be true. Second, Stephen your avatar scares me.

It's a good thing the immigration folks have no jurisdiction in Fairfax.Ā  <_<

Seriously, though, if it's visa issues, how long can we expect the chef to stay one restaurant ahead of the law?Ā  I mean, this guy's not some anonymous Jose Schmo in the kitchen at this point.

I think someone should capture him. And throw a big dinner party and invite ballers like Brent Scowcroft.

First, this is the funniest post I have ever read, and even more so because I believe it to be true.Ā  Second, Stephen your avatar scares me.

Thanks for kind words. If the avatar really disturbs you or anyone else, I will remove it forthwith.

I took one for the team tonight and stopped in at TemptAsian to see how it was fairing. Actually, my parents weren't willing to drive all the way to China Gourmet and I was craving real Chinese food.

My family was thrilled with the meal, I could see what was missing. Everything except the cilantro fish rolls were just a bit off.

The depth of flavor that used to highlight baby wontons in chilli oil is now just heat. The batter on the roasted fish is thick and masks the flavor of the fish, although there was plenty of cumin. Finally, the pork with ferny vegetables was blah. Not much distinguishable flavor. It reminded me of any random stir fry you can get at a generic Chinese restaurant with a fancy vegetable added.

My sister had to have egg rolls and moo sho combination-her favorite. The egg roll was just plain bad. We could taste that the oil it was fried in was bad and the filling was just plain dull. The moo shoo on the other hand was the best she's had. I'm going to take a guess that it was pretty good before Chef was there and still is after.

If I didn't know what I was missing, this meal would have been great. Instead, it was a good meal that brought back memories of greatness.

I took one for the team tonight and stopped in at TemptAsian to see how it was fairing.Ā  Actually, my parents weren't willing to drive all the way to China Gourmet and I was craving real Chinese food.

My family was thrilled with the meal, I could see what was missing.Ā  Everything except the cilantro fish rolls were just a bit off.

The depth of flavor that used to highlight baby wontons in chilli oil is now just heat.Ā  The batter on the roasted fish is thick and masks the flavor of the fish, although there was plenty of cumin.Ā  Finally, the pork with ferny vegetables was blah.Ā  Not much distinguishable flavor.Ā  It reminded me of any random stir fry you can get at a generic Chinese restaurant with a fancy vegetable added.

My sister had to have egg rolls and moo sho combination-her favorite.Ā  The egg roll was just plain bad.Ā  We could taste that the oil it was fried in was bad and the filling was just plain dull.Ā  The moo shoo on the other hand was the best she's had.Ā  I'm going to take a guess that it was pretty good before Chef was there and still is after.

If I didn't know what I was missing, this meal would have been great.Ā  Instead, it was a good meal that brought back memories of greatness.

HV

Your description is very much in tune with my recollection of my last visit, the day I confirmed the rumor that PC was no longer at wok there. The dishes were similar but just didn't have soul; it was especially evident with the spicy baby wontons which were just as you described--hot but no depth of flavor. I think this is now a servicable restaurant but no more than that, so there's really no very strong reason to go out of one's way to go there.

From TemptAsian Cafe's takeout menu, and this is exactly how it's spelled and spaced:

Washingtonian July-05 David Dorsen

What you'll love the offer thrilling cooking be sure to ask for the Chinese Menu, which is mush more interesting and rewarding, then the American one chef laces his dishes with varieties of heat & spice ground coriander, in one dish white pepper in another rings of green chilies, red chili oil the result dishes that aren't much incendiary as fall of mystery and figure.

The Washington Post Magazine Aug 05 Dining by Tom Sietsema

Summer time heat

For those who like to fight with fire a spicy antidote to a sweltering day.

Todd Khman

Washingtonian Jan 06 Cynthia Hacinli, Ann Limpert

Tempt Asian lights a fire with its spices.

Washington City Paper Feb.-06

Best dishes the misnamed roasted fish with green onion a kind of fry basket full of filets of pearly white fish with chilis, scallions and ginger scattered about, minced beef in a dry hot oil, fish with sour mustard the beautifully puffed scallion pancake, baby wontons in a chili oil.

After a week in Italy with wonderful but not spicy food, as we were on the dulles road heading back into town we needed chiles. Foregoing our usual Honey Pig addiction, and not knowing where Present is, we decided to try Tempt Asian. I had been in their parking lot but chose Hee Been's buffet over TA once before and I was feeling like small plates which ruled out Hong Kong Cafe. The result was a meal with lots of potential but feeling like it was dumbed down a little. I think that is easily fixable and am going to invest a return visit to see if I am right. I had never been int he Peter Chiang days and this was our first timeSpicy pressed tofu - fantastic dish with a nice cumin sugar salt spice mix reminiscent of Chiang's cooking. Could have been spicier but we did not make any spicy request

Eggplant in Sesame Sauce - the dish of the night. Steamed then pan fried eggplant with a coarse sauce of sesame paste and pounded garlic & ginger. I was licking up the remaining sauce which was served in a side bowl, a touch I really liked.

Lions Head - just OK. the meatballs were not juicy and tasted as if overly bound by either egg or cornstarch. The dish improved as it sat but not in the league with Bob's Shabu Shabu 88 or Peter Chiang

Pork with long pepper - again, seemed toned down. Very good dish but would have been better with less trimming of the hot parts of the peppers and i would have expected a bit of chili oil and seczuan peppercorn in the dish.

Tiny Won Ton is spicy sauce- neither tiny, hot, or very good at all. Surprising given that all the other food was well abive average even if the Lions Head wasn't something that I would reorder, but it still was pretty good. The won ton were doughy, flavorless filling and the hot sauce tasted like water with a droop of red chile oil in it. The table of Chinese gentlemen next to us got a bowl of it too and it looked identical so it wasn't a case of dumbed down.

Talking with the waiter after suggested that they had really toned down our dishes in fear of our not being up to the heat. Surprised me as we ordered 4 spicy dishes out of 5. At least I figured that might have asked. In any case, I will be back, hopefully with 6 or 8 folk and really dig into the menu. Next time I will pre order so we can get a balanced array of dishes and specify authentic levels of heat. I think that if they punch up the heat and mala character, it has the potential to be the best Sichuan around these days.

plus side: 3 of 5 dishes very good to excellent, other dishes we saw looked great (boiled beef and boiled fish both looked screamingly spicy and very good) and a friendly waiter who would seem to be open to showing us what they really can do.

Negative: lack of heat in what we ordered, no beer

Well I have good news for all you heat-masochists: TemptAsian Cafe is serving no-holds-barred, hot-as-hell, honest-to-goodness Szechuan dishes. They have a relatively new menu that's just full of them, including many of the old standbys you can find at China Star.

I didn't have a copy of this new menu when I ordered, and my previous carryout menu was mostly Americanized Chinese; I cobbled together an order as well as I could over the phone, with a definite language barrier resulting in cumin-spiked slices of beef with copious amounts of hot pepper, a pile of cheap fish in a spicy chili oil, and something resembling Chinese broccoli in a garlicky water.

As novel as uncompromising Szechuan cooking was for me five years ago (and I'd like think I played a small part in launching the Peter Chang phenomenon), I was, for better or for worse, indoctrinated with the best-of-the-best, Chang's cooking being so far superior to anything else I've had that so much of today's DC-area Szechuan food comes across to me as not much more than spicy, oily glop. Bad Szechuan cooking is just as bad as bad Cantonese cooking. Heat for heat's sake doesn't work with me, and cheap oil is cheap oil, regardless of how exotic it may be.

That having been said, I thought these dishes were pretty clumsy, and aside from the fact that they lit me on fire, I can't say I really enjoyed them. But I'm not writing this place off just yet - I'd love to hear other peoples' impressions about the Szechuan dishes here, and would definitely be willing to have another go at it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Well I have good news for all you heat-masochists: TemptAsian Cafe is serving no-holds-barred, hot-as-hell, honest-to-goodness Szechuan dishes. <snip>

That having been said, I thought these dishes were pretty clumsy, and aside from the fact that they lit me on fire, I can't say I really enjoyed them. But I'm not writing this place off just yet - I'd love to hear other peoples' impressions about the Szechuan dishes here, and would definitely be willing to have another go at it.

Weighing in a bit late and having missed Jewish Christmas, I sort of made it up by having Chinese food to usher in and celebrate the new year. I agree with Don - it is Szechuan cooking here, but not on the caliber of (or as composed or poised as) Joe's or maybe Sichuan Pavilion, simply because it is a different type of homestyle-Szechuan cooking. It is, of course, still a good sign when most of the diners are Chinese, and minus the lovely older couple that was wrapping up before our table showed, it was mostly Chinese, with a company or tourist celebration of 15 folks, roaring up a storm to ring in the new year.

2 appetizers and 3 dishes later, the total bill only came to around $50 or a little more for a party of four (including gelittleman), which is great, given the amount of food taken to be enjoyed as leftovers.

Be sure to try the specials on the chalkboard when dining in, even though there are some great dishes on the regular menu.

The server was really wonderful with gelittleman and served him immediately a bowl of egg drop soup to start with. When the scallion pancakes came out, the little man was very innovative in using this deep-fried, puff-ball version as a little bread bowl; or maybe as a substitute for those crunchy, deep-fried noodle-crisps served with soups. I can't say I am a fan of their version of scallion pancakes, having grown up with my grandmom's style. The other appetizer ordered was steamed dumplings, ordered for friends, and as a back-up for the little man, as 2 of the dishes ordered were spicy-hot. I don't recommend the dumplings here, as the dough was super-thick, but had a strange texture and flavor to it.

The fave of the evening seemed to be the fish with diced peppers. Cooked with different varieties of mini-peppers, the dish was so hot and sinus-cleansing that the tofu paired with the fish fillets could not cool your tongue. Even fans of spicy foods at this table declared it super-hot, but flavorful and satisfying.

At Szechuan restaurants, I usually like trying their version of the smoke tea duck, as this is a provincial specialty. Served at room temperature, this version was not too salty compared to some of the other places I have tried, and also not too dried out. Although it did not have a strong smoke-flavor to it, I felt it had a nice balance of little-smokiness to its crispy skin and moist duck meat. Gelittleman liked it enough to have 2 or 3 pieces of it.

The rice here is not stellar, so if you are ordering carry out, I suggest to make your own to go with the meal.

On the comforting front, but also hot (but not too spicy hot) and soothing was from the chalkboard. The lamb with goji berries was a soup, with cilantro and big slices of daikon (it was cut in rectangular slices). Eating the daikon slices alone would warm you up, but even more so after a bite of the lamb + goji berries. A bowl of this soup after eating all the other dishes would be a great way to end the evening.

I think this place is worth checking back every once in awhile, just to "have another go at it."

Hit Tempt Asian Cafe the day after Thanksgiving for something spicy. Went ages ago because I was craving ma po tofu with some pork in it, but never got around to trying the spicier stuff. The joint was empty at 11:30am. First out was spicy pork belly with shaved cucumber and hot chili oil. The pork was thin sliced as was the cucumber and the textures really worked well together. I also got some spicy tripe with was also thin sliced, almost like a tender version of crispy pig ear. Unfortunately, the cilantro overpowered the other flavors. We ordered some spicy cod with soft tofu to share. The serving was enough for at least four people. Big bubbling cauldron of fish, tofu, toasted garlic and chilis. Nice textures with the predominate heat being black pepper. I ended up picking off most of the cilantro at which point the waitress asked if I wanted it off my fish dish which was still in the kitchen, which was nice. She also recommended the "Bamboo Fish," which I'd never heard of before and turned out to be boneless pieces of filet in a batter (I want to say egg-based, since it wasn't crispy like tempura but had the texture of a firm omelette, albeit deepfried) dusted with fried red chilies, cumin, and pepper. Nice level of heat that was almost at my sweat-breaking tolerance, but what got me were the combination of spices, which reminded me of Old Bay with the cumin and black pepper torqued up to 11.

Just as we were leaving, a tour bus showed up and at least 40 Chinese folks piled off, so in spite of the 1-Star Yelp reviews for their uninspired General Tso's Chicken, they seemed to be doing pretty good business.