Mio, Vermont & L Streets, McPherson Square - With GM Manuel Iguina, Chef Roberto Hernandez Replaces Giovanna Huyke - Closed Dec 31, 2015

Any thoughts on how Mio has fared since the change of chefs? We were considering trying it for restaurant week...is it still worth checking out?
Nicholas Stefanelli has been running the kitchen at Mio since Stefano Fugiero left in August/September, and he is doing a tremendous job, as anyone perusing his resume would expect.

Pastry chef Tom Wellings turns out some of my all-time favorite desserts.

Click here to read my notes from the End of Summer Feast in September, and then make a reservation and go!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the line up for tonight Allagsh Tasting.

ALLAGASH TASTING
JANUARY 27TH 2009

"Allagash White"
Citrus Cured Cobia, Pearl Onions, Ginger
"Allagash Grand Cru"
Roasted Monkfish, Egg Raviolo, Brown Butter
"Allagash Interlude"
24 Hour Slow Roasted Ossabaw Pig Leg, Grits, Apple Fritter, Bourbon Gravy
"Allagash Curiex"
Chocolate Pudding, Chocolate Sorbet, Stout Foam
"Allagash Black"

Four Courses with Paring
$90

Mio Thursday evening (first visit for both my wife and myself) was fantastic, night and day from our other Restaurant Week experience this year. Each of the items on the RW menu that we tried felt like they truly reflected the chef's skill and enthusiasm, and made us eager to sample more from the regular menu. The standout for me was a beautifully roasted, flavorful chicken served with a combination of plump, moist oysters and crispy fried artichokes...an unusual pairing, but one that really worked in both flavor and texture. It was an inventive dish that showed the chef wasn't dumbing it down for the RW masses, but was really trying to show what he can do in the kitchen.

If there was one execution flaw, the grilled octopus was over-charred. A second reason that was not my favorite dish, I thought the waiter was warning me my plate was hot when in fact he said that the pepper on the octopus was a "hot" pepper, not the roasted bell pepper I mistook it for. So it was an unpleasant surprise when I put the whole thing in my mouth. Oh well, I should read the menu more carefully.

Bread - housemade foccacia and a lovely dense, semi-crusty loaf our waiter said was from Breadline - was fantastic.

Service all around, from the valet to the hostesses to the waiter and runners, was extremely warm and friendly, like they really wanted us to come back. All in all this is a model of what a RW experience should be like in my opinion. We walked away very happy and will definitely return.

RW prices more or less continue for lunch prixfix. Astonishing deal for $22.50 - calamari stuffed with potato and salami on a savory sauce for starter (a bit salty but beautiful presentation) and skate with pine nuts and golden raisins over spinach as good as I've ever had out or made at home (and I make a mean skate if may say so). Adventurous wine list - Viognier from Uruguay anyone? And it's by the glass. And crisp with light floral notes like the French stuff and not the UC Davies South American school of overdone lemon and oak. All served with that greatest attribute of a tip-top staff: attentive unobtrusiveness.

The only complaint - dance music over the PA. If I want to boogie it ain't in an office building on Vermont Ave over a business lunch. But, I'm a stuffy old white guy. So for all you young groovies who want to keep your weekend vibe on through a rainy Monday morning, do go. I'll be the one with gray hair in the corner with fingers alternately in his ears and using the fluffy fresh focaccia to mop up every last bit of the sauce on the plate.

They are open for lunch right now.

Last night I jumped the gun in a posting about Mio, which is indeed open for lunch this very minute, with Chef Stefanelli manning the helm in the kitchen as usual.

Looking back in this thread, I see that I neglected to post about my most recent meal at Mio a few weeks ago (*), although I did adjust it upward in the Dining Guide that evening, adding that it's "better now than ever under new chef Nick Stefanelli," who in fact isn't so new any more - Stefanelli is putting out some superb dishes at Mio, and if you haven't tried the restaurant lately, you're missing out on some of the best cooking downtown.

I also want to add a comment about Mio's performance in the Cochon 555 cookoff on Sunday. While R J Cooper won the event, I'm willing to bet that Nick Stefanelli came in second - as a judge, I actually had them tied for first place on my ballot (along with one other chef). There was a near-consensus agreement among the friends I talked with that Stefanelli had the "dish of the event" with his homemade scrapple, topped with a raviolo stuffed with a runny egg yolk. It was a phenomenal dish, and the only savory presentation that I finished completely despite being stuffed to the gills (we had to go through nearly forty different items). Kudos to the staff at Mio for such a fine performance - even though they didn't walk away with the prize, they certainly could have.

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) Actually, I did write about it here, but wish now that I had taken the time and written a more complete review in this thread, because it was a fantastic dinner.

Had lunch at Mio today. I wasn't sure what to expect, but given the inviting decor and the quiet and relatively clean location, I felt I was in for a good meal. Our table of eight sampled the menu, and I would declare it OK, maybe even good, but several notches below excellent. There was a $20.09 3-course menu that I take it is a holdover from Restaurant Week. I didn't try it, and instead went for the Cuban Sandwich, which I try at many places to get a baseline comparison. This one was fair, with dried out pork, OK ham and way too much dijon mustard 'bite' on a so-so bun that was barely pressed. It came with fries that looked fresh-cut and had the promise of a dusting of herbs, but turned out to be flaccid, perhaps fried at too low of a temperature. The crab cakes, cheeseburger and salmon over lentils and spinach were immediately around me at the table. The salmon was cooked spot-on, but the crabcake looked like shredded crab and filler. The burger looked overcooked and could have been from Clyde's.

The chef is now Puerto Rican, but I forget his name. The menu seems to be a blend of foods from a quadrangle bounded by Charleston, SC to Havana to Mexico and Central America to Phoenix, more or less. There were grits on the menu, sometimes with shrimp, and chipotle, sometimes with chicken thighs, and chimi sauce, sometimes with skirt steak. I'm not quite sure where the chef is taking this menu, but it's sort of southern, sort of southwestern, sort of Caribbean and sort of good. Nonetheless, if I was dropped on the corner of, say, 14th and K, and given about a 4-block radius, I'm not sure Mio would crack the top 10.

Although I can't vouch for the main menu at Mio since Nick Stefanelli left, that's only because I can't get past the bar menu. Last night, I went into a disturbingly empty restuarant - with nobody at the bar, and only perhaps 5-10 people having dinner in the dining room - and was greeted by Mio's newest strength, Frank Ortiz. Frank has known Manuel Iguina (the GM and owner) since they worked for Ann Cashion and Jose Andres at Jaleo, long ago, and he's been back working with Manuel for about two weeks.

As I sat there sipping Presidentes ($5.40), Frank and I chatted for at least an hour, over topics ranging from the origins of Central American cuisines (he is Salvadoran), to the regional cuisines of Brazil and Mexico. I was in good company, and nibbled my way through Beef Pinchos ($8), Beef Empanadas ($7), and Chorizo and Cheese Croquettes ($7). Upstream, I mentioned that these were the best empanadas I've found in the DC area, and my opinion has not changed - they are fabulous. Also, on Friday afternoons, Mio is roasting a lechon (technically a suckling pig, although this sounds more like a shoat), and serving it all evening long.

I'm talking with Manuel about setting up a dr.com happy hour on a Friday afternoon at Mio, where we can enjoy both the lechon and the bar plates (including the empanadas, on which my reputation will rest). We need to work out the details later, but first I need to find out if there's interest in this (in which case I'll start a thread in Events and Gatherings). Is there?

Cheers,

Rocks.

...We need to work out the details later, but first I need to find out if there's interest in this (in which case I'll start a thread in Events and Gatherings). Is there?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Sí, señor, estoy muy interesada.

Hope other peeps are, too, this would be keen.

Sí, señor, estoy muy interesada.

Hope other peeps are, too, this would be keen.

(Keen indeed! Warning, though: Fridays in December are sort of horrible for a lot of people, between holiday parties, Chanukah first light on the 11th, and the fact that Christmas and New Year's fall on Fridays this year.

And yes, I'm one of those odd birds who keeps day-of-the-week calendar dates in her head way far out.

However, assuming Rocks meant after January 1st, I think this would be peachy.)

I'm talking with Manuel about setting up a dr.com happy hour on a Friday afternoon at Mio, where we can enjoy both the lechon and the bar plates (including the empanadas, on which my reputation will rest). We need to work out the details later, but first I need to find out if there's interest in this (in which case I'll start a thread in Events and Gatherings). Is there?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Half a block from my office? I'd be up for that...

Don,

My first post here and my sincere apologies for any glitches that may occur. I somehow skipped the whole blog generation. In full disclosure, I am a Puerto Rican friend of Manuel Iguina, owner of MIO, and have been working closely with him in developing a Puerto Rican component to his repertoire. Coincidentally, this Friday marks the kick-off of our "Navidades de Puerto Rico" [Puerto Rican Christmas] Fridays. I don't intend to "plug" the event here, but rather would like to offer some context and explanation of the menu. Among the planned items are, of course, Lechon Asado [roasted pig]. It is marinated with "sofrito", a creole base of culantro [not cilantro] which is the "DNA" of Puerto Rican cuisine, aji dulce [they look like hopscotch peppers but have absolutely no heat but rather a cubanelle sweetness and "other" herbs and spices. We try to recreate the taste of Guavate, a small village outside of the municipality of Cayey [some 40 minutes from San Juan] which is now kindly referred to in the US as "Lechon Village". Andrew Zimmern actually profiled this place in his Puerto Rico episode and called it the "best pig he has ever had" [though I sense he and Bourdain always say that - pig epiphanies always happen every time you bit into a crunchy skin, regardless of where you are, I suppose]. Manuel and I grew up eating in Guavate with our parents. It is what you do on a Sunday. Simple stuff. Formica tables, "repurposed" stools and school chairs, open space and very loud vitrolas playing old school salsa. I am sorry, but there is nothing fancy about the experience, other than being surrounded by good people, smoke from charcoal embedded with the lechon smell and cold beers. I hope you can someday be there. Other items will include Arroz con Gandules [Pigeon Peas], Pasteles [Puerto Rican "tamal", if you will, but the dough is made of either "yautia", green plantain or yucca. Intead of corn husks, we steam/boiled this wrapped on plantain leaves. Serenata de Bacalao, a salt cod cold salad with tropical roots [it marinates in olive oil, a bit of vinegar, alcaparrado, onions, and other ingredients]. Very old school dish from the island. There will be typical fritters and a few other dishes, possibly "Asopao de Mariscos", a typical seafood stew. At any rate, please accept my sincere apologies if this blog is too lengthy, or borders on a "plug". Our intent is to finally bring an authentic taste from Puerto Rico to D.C. as a component of our menu. Our friends from Puerto Rico are very nostalgic about it. Buen provecho and Feliz Navidad to you and your community.

Don,

My first post here and my sincere apologies for any glitches that may occur. I somehow skipped the whole blog generation. In full disclosure, I am a Puerto Rican friend of Manuel Iguina, owner of MIO, and have been working closely with him in developing a Puerto Rican component to his repertoire. Coincidentally, this Friday marks the kick-off of our "Navidades de Puerto Rico" [Puerto Rican Christmas] Fridays. I don't intend to "plug" the event here, but rather would like to offer some context and explanation of the menu. Among the planned items are, of course, Lechon Asado [roasted pig]. It is marinated with "sofrito", a creole base of culantro [not cilantro] which is the "DNA" of Puerto Rican cuisine, aji dulce [they look like hopscotch peppers but have absolutely no heat but rather a cubanelle sweetness and "other" herbs and spices. We try to recreate the taste of Guavate, a small village outside of the municipality of Cayey [some 40 minutes from San Juan] which is now kindly referred to in the US as "Lechon Village". Andrew Zimmern actually profiled this place in his Puerto Rico episode and called it the "best pig he has ever had" [though I sense he and Bourdain always say that - pig epiphanies always happen every time you bit into a crunchy skin, regardless of where you are, I suppose]. Manuel and I grew up eating in Guavate with our parents. It is what you do on a Sunday. Simple stuff. Formica tables, "repurposed" stools and school chairs, open space and very loud vitrolas playing old school salsa. I am sorry, but there is nothing fancy about the experience, other than being surrounded by good people, smoke from charcoal embedded with the lechon smell and cold beers. I hope you can someday be there. Other items will include Arroz con Gandules [Pigeon Peas], Pasteles [Puerto Rican "tamal", if you will, but the dough is made of either "yautia", green plantain or yucca. Intead of corn husks, we steam/boiled this wrapped on plantain leaves. Serenata de Bacalao, a salt cod cold salad with tropical roots [it marinates in olive oil, a bit of vinegar, alcaparrado, onions, and other ingredients]. Very old school dish from the island. There will be typical fritters and a few other dishes, possibly "Asopao de Mariscos", a typical seafood stew. At any rate, please accept my sincere apologies if this blog is too lengthy, or borders on a "plug". Our intent is to finally bring an authentic taste from Puerto Rico to D.C. as a component of our menu. Our friends from Puerto Rico are very nostalgic about it. Buen provecho and Feliz Navidad to you and your community.

Are you kidding? Plug away, with as many details as possible, please! This particular Friday you won't be seeing many of us at Mio, because we're all going to an event at Vidalia, but in the future? Puerto Rican Lechon will be what gets many of us through the week.

Thank you, Pedro, for such a detailed and interesting post. I told Manuel the other day that I really feel like Mio is going to "find itself" by going back to its Puerto Rican roots.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Don,

Mr. MV and I delighted in eating authentic Puerto Rican cuisine last night at Mio, which we would not have known about without DR (I"m on their mailing list now, however!). We wanted to take advantage of the Navidades de Puerto Rico for the culinary experience, and a bit of nastalgia for Mr. MV.

Growing up, Mr. MV spent six years living the better part of those years on the island. His family moved there for his father's job, and he and his siblings stayed during the school year, then went back to New Jersey with his mom and stayed at his grandmother's apartment for the summers. It was a great experience for them, and because Mr. MV was immersed in Spanish much of the time, he continues to retain the language conversationally.

At Christmastime, he and other members of his church, Stella Maris, would pack the makings for asopao. Packages consisting of rice, soffrito and a chicken were given to neighboring families who might otherwise not be able to feast at this celebrated time of year. Remembering, Mr. MV ordered the Asopao de Mariscos, a dish evocative of his youth, yet more refined.

But first, we started with Serenata de Bacala-this "escabeche" , described above, was perfectly balanced with fragrant olive oil, vinegar and olives. It makes a great shared appetizer for 2.

The Lechon con Yuca was a beautiful chunk of young pig, just out of the oven and chopped. It was flavorful (see description above) and moreover, so succulent, there needs to be a new word for succulent. I'd recommend ordering this and keeping it to yourself. You'll be loathe to share.

Back to Mr. MV's Asopao de Mariscos: a stew of scallops, shrimp and Mahi-Mahi in a spicy broth, with a bit of rice on the bottom. You will want to reserve Mio's crusty bread to sop up the broth, or just ask for more. Leaving any behind would be a shame.

I had the Arroz con Gandules y Pasteles. The rice and pigeon peas could be a dish all on their own. It had deep flavor, and the peas were cooked through. Not mush, but not al dente. I also liked the moisture of the rice. It was slightly creamy and I wondered if I could make rice like this without it drying out and becoming a "pilaf".

The "tamales" were 2 banana leaf-wrapped packages of yuca (similar to the masa in a tamale), stuff with more of Senior Piggy.

Fritters (plantain, I believe) that came with the dish were a bit of a miss-they were dense and dry, when I was expecting something "latke-like" with a crispy, fried outside, and a tender inside.

Loved the Mio Margherita with blood orange, and Mr. MV enjoyed a great mojito.

No room for dessert and we were off to the Kennedy Center, so maybe we'll enjoy a dessert, or the coquito, next time.

No room for dessert and we were off to the Kennedy Center, so maybe we'll enjoy a dessert, or the coquito, next time.

We will be serving "Coquito" as part of our Puerto Rican Christmas Special Menu. This concoction is our traditional version of mainland "eggnog" except with a coconut and rum base. This is a deceivingly potent after dinner that is often drunk in Puerto Rico as a substitute of dessert. It is often enhanced on the island with other spirits like brandy or cognac in addition to rum. Dark of white rum is used in very generous quantities which cuts on the traditional "egginess" but the smoothness is maintained by the coconut milk.

Don,

Greetings and Happy New Year! I am including a quick posting of our RW menu. I will provide additional information and contextual explanation on the same on a subsequent posting but wanted to make you aware of the same. It follows our repositioning as an Urban Latin American Cuisine restaurant now into its fifth month. We are glad to report the response has been positive. My best to you and your community.

Pedro

Mio Restaurant Week Lunch

$20.10

STARTERS

(Choice of one)

Nice House Salad

Octopus Anticucho,

Chickpea Puree

Yuca Soup, Sofrito,

Crispy Plantain

Bacalaito Coated Shrimp,

Avocado-Tomato Salad

MAIN ENTRÉE

(Choice of one)

Beef Tenderloin,

White Bean Puree, al Seco

Arroz con Pollo,

Puertorican Classic,

Pedro’s Style

Plancha Seared Salmon,

Creamy Quinoto, Loroco

DESSERT

(Choice of one)

Flan de Coquito

Moose de lucuma

$35.10

STARTERS

(Choice of one)

Oxtail MiniMoFo

Mash Plantain,

Tiradito de Tuna

Soy, Limes, chiles

Bacalaito Coated Shrimp,

Avocado-Tomato Salad

MAIN ENTRÉE

(Choice of one)

Arroz Criollo de Mariscos

Seafood Rice Stew

Cabrito a la Piruana

Goat, Squash, Potatoes, Ajíes

Stuffed Cornish Hen,

Congri, Amarillos

Sudado de Pescado

Light Peppery Steamed Rockfish

DESSERT

(Choice of one)

Flan de Coquito

Moose de Lucuma

Don,

We had a pleasant surprise this week when CNN en Espanol used MIO as a backdrop for the recent federal economic report signaling an up click in the economic recovery. Our revenue growth correlated fairly close to the reported numbers and Manuel's wife, Karla, was interviewed for the perspective of a small business owner. We have had a fairly strong end of Q4 and Jan10 and are holding out hope this recovery is sustainable for our industry. We hope to have represented the industry well in this interview and wish all of our colleagues our most sincere best wishes as we weather through this economic environment. Good luck in 2010!

Attached the link to the CNN piece:

My link

Don,

We had a pleasant surprise this week when CNN en Espanol used MIO as a backdrop for the recent federal economic report signaling an up click in the economic recovery. Our revenue growth correlated fairly close to the reported numbers and Manuel's wife, Karla, was interviewed for the perspective of a small business owner. We have had a fairly strong end of Q4 and Jan10 and are holding out hope this recovery is sustainable for our industry. We hope to have represented the industry well in this interview and wish all of our colleagues our most sincere best wishes as we weather through this economic environment. Good luck in 2010!

Attached the link to the CNN piece:

My link

[Congratulations! Now ... if I could only get you guys to be OUR FIRST EVER POST in the three-year-old Spanish Classifieds! (Better yet, don't - I hate to ruin a good ongoing joke ...) :angry:]

[Congratulations! Now ... if I could only get you guys to be OUR FIRST EVER POST in the three-year-old Spanish Classifieds! (Better yet, don't - I hate to ruin a good ongoing joke ...) :angry:]

Don,

We have a saying in Puerto Rico when talking about a disoriented person - "He is more lost that a cross-eyed crab!" ["Esta' ma' perdio' que un juey bizco!"]- that kind of summarizes by navigational skills in any blog site. My apologies and my fault. I am getting better at it and I promise you to be the first post!

Don,

The Lechon will be in the oven and ready for tomorrow's our Puerto Rican Friday. Would love to see you and your friends at MIO ! Guests will receive a complimentary shot of Chichalito.

Below our promo e-mail....

We Are Roasted!....Puerto Rican Style! The Meltdown Cometh!

TOMORROW - Friday February 12th, 2010

It may be chillin' outside, but at MIO we are toasty warm and already roasting ...slowly...a Puerto Rican lechón in our ovens. MIO Lechón's tender, "pull away", deliciously soft meat seasoned with sofrito and its Crispy and Salty "cuerito" [skin] will stun you back to life . Our Yuca en Escabeche is already sitting in a marinade of olive oil and bay leaves.Our Arroz con Gandules will nicely nourish and ready you for another 12 hours of snow shoveling.

Our Puerto Rico Fridays menu is in full gear and back with a melting vengeance, ready to reward the adventurous at heart and those who refuse to let a few feet of snow get in their way of celebrating life. Our next door underground parking garage is open and accessible and sidewalks leading to MIO from McPherson, Farragut West and Farragut North Metro Stations are cleared.

Those who join our meltdown party will be offered a welcoming shot of "chichaito"...and old school and reviving concoction from the country mountains of Puerto Rico...if you are suffering from cabin fever say hello to your little shot of happiness! Be alive! Be at MIO this FRIDAY!

Make your reservation today 202 955 0075

We will be hosting a young, hip, Mexican rising star chef on 10-13 March. Her name is Lula Martin del Campo from D.F. [Mexico City]. I have attached some material about her, and must apologize as most of it is in Spanish, but it will give you a feel for her style. She represents our focus on Urban Latin American Cuisine at MIO, which in essence is our intent to hopscotch directly to the largest cities throughout Latin America to learn and then showcase what their young and/or leading edge chefs are doing in their own markets. Our idea is simply raise consciousness, and have a lot of fun along the way, that modern Latin American cuisine (from its original source throughout the region) is producing really inspiring food and techniques. We will invite other chefs throughout the region and keep you posted. We are having alot of fn with this concept and hope you join us along...

20FEB MIO Lula.pdf

post-6676-126701745847_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the question Eric&Blueboy! It made me realize it needs to be more clear. Lula is cooking all those days and all events are opened to the public via a regular reservation, except the Media Event, which is by invite only. All these events are caz and fun centered, by the way! Please make sure to say hi to Manuel and Karla the owners. They love and value the Rock.com community and are always open for suggestions! Thank you for your interest!

March 10th - Kick off fundraiser in support of the Spanish Catholic Center, 6:00PM
March 11th - Mexican Embassy Dinner, 7PM
March 12th - MexiRico - Urban Puerto Rico and Mexico Happy Hour, 6:00PM
March 13th - Mexican Gala

Oh, and yes. There will be a special menu you can order from....We are thinking of roasting a lechon Mexican style on Friday [instead of Puerto Rican style], thus why we are calling it the MexiRico Happy Hour!

Don,

I wanted to share the preliminary menu that Chef Lula will prepare as guest chef in Mio during her 10-13 March visit. Items are subject to change pending her luck with U.S. Customs in bringing some of her chiles [there is always FedEx] . . . I am still navigating through some of the regional Mexican terms and will have a more complete explanation once we finalize the menu. All evenings are open to the public, by the way. Her first dinner will be on March 10th. We will also have a twist to our Puerto Rican Friday by having Lula play around with our traditional recipes...we are calling it MexiRico Happy Hour! All in all, we are having a lot of fun and we hope you can join us...a quick heads up,,,we will have a Cuban Guest Chef on 27 March...more to come....

MENU

Amuse Bouche:

Taquito Crujiente de Salmí³n
Sol de Maí­z con Queso de Cabra y Aguacate

Crunchy Salmon Taquito
Soft corn "sol" with Goat Cheese and Avocado

Entradas Frí­as / Cold Appetizers

* Ceviche Verde
(pescado cocido en jugo de limí³n, con aderezo de cilantro y albaca, cebolla morada, chile verde y pií±a en cubitos)
* Green Ceviche
(fish cooked in lime juice, cilantro- basil vinagraite , red onion, jalapeí±o and pineapple)

* Tostadas de Atíºn Fresco
(Tortilla de maí­z frita untada con aderezo chipotle, sashimi de atíºn marinado en soya y crujiente de poro encima)
* Tuna Sashimi Tostadas
(Fresh tuna sashimi over fried corn tortilla dressed with chipotle mayonaise)

* Ensalada de la Tierra del Maí­z
(Variedad de lechugas, grano de elote, pepitas, tortilla frita, chile ancho caramelizado y vinagreta de orégano)
* Aztec Salad
(Mixed greens, corn, pumpkin seeds, fried tortilla strips, caramelized ancho chile dressed with orégano vinagraite)

Entradas Calientes / Warm Appetizers

* Sopa de Tortilla a los Dos Chiles
(caldo de jitomate con chile guajillo, juliana de tortilla frita, cubitos de queso panela, aguacate y chile ancho crujiente)
* Two Chile Tortilla Soup
(tomato broth infused with guajillo chile, julienned fried tortilla, fresh cheese, cream , avocado and crunchy ancho chile)

* Enchiladas de Chile Guajillo Rellenas de Queso de Cabra
(tortillas de maí­z rellenas de queso de cabra, baí±adas en salsa de chile guajillo, con crema y aros de cebolla)
* Guajillo Enchiladas with Goat Cheese
(corn tortillas stuffed with gota cheese, guajillo chile sauce, creme fraiche and onion rings)

* Camarones con Coco y Salsa de Mango
(camarones fritos cubiertos en coco, acompaí±ados con una salsa de mango fresco y un toque
de chile piquí³n)
* Coconut Shrimp with Mango
(crispy coconut shrimp served with a fresh chile-mango sauce on the side)

Platos Fuertes / Entrees

* Pescado al estilo Maya
(Tabique de huachinango - Robalo marinado en achiote con arroz blanco y platanos fritos)
* Mayan Style Sea Bass
(grilled sea bass filet marinated in achiote paste, served with rice and fried plantains)

* Salmon con Mole Negro y Arroz Rojo
(lomo de salmon al grill, baí±ado en mole negro, acompaí±ado con arroz rojo a la mexicana y platanos fritos)
* Salmon with Oaxaca Style Mole
(grilled salmon covered in Oaxaca Style Mole (traditional chile and chocolate sauce), served with mexican style rice and fried plantains)

* Filete Mignon Azteca
(filete de res gratinado sobre tostada untada con frijoles y espejo de salsa de jitomate al chipotle)
* Aztec Filet Mignon
(filet mignon au gratin served over fried corn tortilla covered with refried beans and chipotle, tomato sauce)

* Pechuga Rellena de Flor de Calabaza con Esquites
(pechuga rellena de flor de calabaza y calabacitas con granos de elote blanco cocinados con aroma de epazote)
* Zucchinni Flower Stuffed Chicken
(served with white corn kernels infused with epazote)

Postres / Desserts

*Brulee de Elote
(pastel de elote caramelizado por encima)
*Corn Brulee
(caramelized corn pudding)

* Mousse de Chocolate Oaxaqueí±o
(con fresas)
* Oaxaca Style Chocolate Mousse
(with strawberries)

Bebidas / Beverages

Aguas Frescas de Jamaica ,Horchata y Limon con Chia
Variety of Fresh Flavored Water: Hibiscus, lime and rice

Margaritas de Mango y Tamarindo
Mango or tamarindo Margaritas

Micheladas
Micheladas (beer, lime juice, salt)

Platos Fuertes Vegetarianos / Vegetarian options will be available.

On Friday, I met up with a friend and fellow Rockwell poster for dinner at Mio. I arrived early to have a drink and found that the bar was packed. The front of the restaurant is quite loud, to the point that I can see people finding it intolerably so, I had hoped this was merely a product of the happy hour crowd, but I found even after they dispersed and in the recessed sections of the restaurant it was still deafening.

I started my pre-dinner drinking with a Pisco Sour that was neither sour nor had much pisco flavor, but the Caipirinha was spot on with the right amount of lime, sugar, and hooch. When the bill arrived I suddenly understood why the bar was so packed, the drinks were $5 a piece.

Hoping to escape the thundering din of the bar area I asked to be seated to await my dining companion, as I mentioned before the noise level was still quite loud in furthest corner of the dining room. I ordered another drink, this time a special that included banana, and pineapple (sorry all I can remember of the name is that it had the word Urbana in it), this was the best drink of the night. The sweetness balanced the acidity, and a fresh tasting banana flavor was a nice change from the usual banana flavors I find in drinks which is as natural tasting as the neon yellow color of the liquor.

Sparing my liver from having to order another cocktail my dining companion showed up just as I finished my drink. We got down to business and ordered four appetizers (the menu online does not have all of the dishes we ordered). The first we tried was a shrimp tempura (or so the menu said) that got a mixed reaction. The coating was soft, and fluffy, quite different from what I expect from a tempura, but I rather liked the flavor, my dining companion commented that his shrimp was mealy, leaving the third shrimp on the plate for me. Next came the Chicharron de Calamares, a rather dry dish of sliced squid that I believe was sautéed, the dish did not work for me on several levels, the texture of the squid was dry and far too chewy, a texture also found in the accompanying mushrooms, also there was really no flavor to the dish unless you had the misfortune of getting a piece of chili on your tongue. On Friday night there were two ceviches on the menu, when we asked our server for his opinion he steered us towards the one of the regular menu as opposed to the Ceviche Verde. The chunks of fish near the top of the dish were far more flavorful than those unfortunate pieces that were still bathing in the lime juice losing the battle against the acid and becoming overly chewy and acrid. The final appetizer were the salt cod fritters, I thought that this was far and away the best appetizer we tried. The four balls were perfectly fried, and I found them to be both flavorful and pleasant (as opposed to either bland or way too fishy).

One of the main reasons why we choose to hit Mio on a Friday was to try the Lechon con Yuca, and we were happy to hear that we could get an entrée portion of the dish. Unfortunately for us the joy ended right there. After his first bite my dining companion warned me to watch my teeth when biting into the skin, and he his warning were well advised, the skin had a steel like texture. While I was disappointed in the skin, I figured that the meat could have saved this dish, alas it was dry and flavorless. Thankfully we had ordered a second entrée, and that was the whole fried snapper. After trying the pork I was a bit leery of what we would find with the fish, but all of my worries were for naught, the fish was beautifully fried, and kept simple with just a dusting of flour and salt. This was by far the dish of the evening.

With no exceptions the real highlight of the dinner was the front of the house staff all of whom were gracious, welcoming, and competent, I just wish that more of our food matched their effort.

We tried Mio Saturday night for the special dinner with Chef Lula. The staff there is truly gracious. I've never had as warm a welcome at a restaurant as I had Saturday. We were told "tonight our house is your house" and while it may sound hokey it was really very wonderful.

The food was OK - the coconut shrimp were too breaded without any coconut flavor, but the shellfish themselves were sweet and fresh. Accompanying mango dipping sauce was not too sweet. Three shrimp for $15? Seemed kind of stingy.

I had the chef''s special filet in a (if I remember correctly) piquillo pepper sauce. The staff didn't ask about desired doneness, and I figured perhaps this was some sliced preparation that wouldn't demand a choice. But no, it was a regular filet. Fortunately, it wasn't overcooked and the sauce was yummy. I enjoyed this beef very much.

SO just wanted appetizers - the tortilla soup, one of the ceviches and flautas. The soup was quite tasty, but the bowl was full of pieces of tortilla. This might be a typical preparation, or one of the chef's specialities, but it was really too much of a good thing. More like a sopa seca, which is not necessarily bad, but unexpected. SO loved the ceviche. I had one taste - very tart.

The flautas were dry and bland. They were chock full of lovely shredded chicken, but not much else. They came with a small side of quacamole but that wasn't enough to redeem the dish.

There was a weird quirk with the pricing. The chef's special fixed price menu was $55. Our server said we could order a la carte. Since we don't much care for sweets, we did the a la carte so as to pass on dessert. All apps were $15, entrees were $25, all desserts were $10 for a la carte orders, according to the server. So, if we'd done the fixed price menu it its entirely, we'd have paid $55 for what would have cost $50 ordered a la carte. It didn't make sense to me.

I want to go back and try the "regular" menu. This is a very cool space on an unfortunate block where there is not much else of note. I hope that Mio doesn't end up catering to the tourists in the nearby hotels because I think the place has potential.

Saludos Don and Rock.com,

Apologies for the prolonged silence and our sincere appreciation for the commentary above. We take these to heart and always post them in our kitchen walls and discuss with your Chef to address them and improve our menu. Our execution of the typical Puerto Rican Lechon is as good as ever and we have" calibrated" our seasonings to minimize moisture and consistently reach the "cuerito" stage - crispy skin so loved by Puerto Ricans. Please come by on Fridays to enjoy our Happy Hours and try for yourselves. Our "Urban Latin" focus of the menu keeps expanding and assimilating dishes that our "Guest Chefs" showcase when they visit. We have also dotted our menu with Peruvian executions, a nod to the "Perurican" trend going on in Puerto Rico that is blending Peruvian dishes with Puerto Rican tastes.

We have an upcoming event, though not necessarily a "foodie" driven concept, it will be a lot of fun! With the World Cup kick off on 11 June, we are opening the restaurant for select games featuring Latin American countries. We are developing a "Latin" breakfast that will have a strong Mexican accent. At any rate, once finalized, we will post the menu. We will charge $20 and we will offer a free round of Micheladas, Sangritas, Ojo Rojo or Bloddy Marys for every goal scored by the Latin American Team! We hope that for a few hours on the week, we can all collectively throw caution to the wind and get in the spirit of El Mundial! So, 11 June at 7:30AM we will be starting the party early with Mexico vs. South Africa's World Cup opening.

Another event is our "Chef for a Day" event of 12 June, where we invite a bonafide "foodie" to take over our kitchen [with support form our staff] and showcase traditional and modern varieties of their Latin city's favorites. Our next event is "Noche Colombiana" and these events are always in support of a charity or non-profit. I am pasting the announcement below.

Again, we sincerely thank you for your support and constructive criticism in our "adventure" (and quite the one, we must say!), we are very happy to have found our "soul"!

"Noche Colombiana" Event announcement ...

Colombia Progresa!!

With the nation holding its breath on the results of its presidential elections, Mio is proud to announce our “Noche Colombiana” on June 12 with Guest Chef and Colombian Angela Franco!

Our next “Chef for a Day”, Angela Franco, President and CEO of the Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, will host an evening of beautiful and traditional Colombian food, served with the unpretentious elegance and conviviality for which Colombians and Mio are known. We invite you to join us and celebrate the beauty of the Colombian heart and celebrate among friends the Urban Latin Vibe of Mio Restaurant. A portion of the evening’s proceeds will be donated to the Latino Student Fund and Colombia Progresa organizations!

Evening’s Menu:

Entradas / Appetizer

Arepas con Queso y Hogao: Traditional Colombian style cornmeal patties served “Hogao” (a derivative of “ahogar” – to “drown”) style, generously covered with “criollo” sauce, based on tomatoes, several types of onions, garlic, and cumin.

Empanadas colombianas: A traditional assortment of Colombian-styled turnovers.

Empanada costeña: Colombian coastal-style turnover.

Plato Fuerte / Entrees

Ajiaco bogotano: Bogota-style potato-based stew with chicken

Sobrebarriga con papas chorriadas: Grilled flank steak served with boiled red potatoes smothered in a rich cheese sauce seasoned with onions and tomatoes.

Langostinos con arroz con coco y platano rayado: Grilled shrimps served with a coconut flavored rice and shredded plantaina

Postre / Dessert

Arroz con leche: Sweet rice pudding

Brevas con arequipe: Traditional Colombinan desert of figs and a “dulce de leche”

Latino Student Fund : The mission of the Latino Student Fund (LSF) is to provide opportunities for a strong academic foundation for PreK-12 students of Hispanic descent to promote higher education and professional leadership. http://www.latinostudentfund.org/

Colombia Progresa: A non-profit 501 ©(3) charitable organization operating in the Washington DC area supporting the educational needs of underprivileged children in Colombia through: Educational programs (scholarships & school supplies), Traveling Library (Books and educational materials)and Targeted programs (nutrition, music, art, sports, recreation and infrastructure). http://www.colombiaprogresa.org/english/presentacion.htm

About the Chef for a Day:

ANGELA FRANCO

Born in Berkeley, CA while her father was completing his PhD in Education at the University of Berkeley, she grew up in Bogota, Colombia, in a family of 6 siblings, three boys and three girls. Her father founded The Newman School, in 1990, which is rated in the top 25 out of 6000 schools in Colombia, and remains as the head master of the school. Her mother is a retired journalist and assists in operating the school.

Angela was named President & CEO of the Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce on November 1, 2009, and has moved to solidify the GWHCC funding and has grown the base of businesses and membership.

Angela began her professional career in the financial world in 1989, where she worked in insurance and banking for over 18 years. The majority of her roles were customer relationship management and business development. She moved to the United States for the second time in May 2001, where she worked at the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Foundation, followed by BB&T where she spent seven years in different management positions, and was the Manager of the Multi-Cultural Market and led the Hispanic initiative for BB&T in the DC Metro Region.

Angela has a degree in Business Administration from CESA University, Bogota, Colombia, holds a Master’s in Finance from EAFIT University, both prestigious universities in Colombia. Additionally, she has finished Banking School at Wake Forest University, North Carolina and holds a degree in Life Coaching from the Newfield Network, in Denver, CO.

Angela is married to G. Brent Gulick, has a ten month son, Matthew Joseph Gulick, and resides in Rockville, MD.

Is this the most recent post about Mio? We have Thursday dinner reservations in a couple of weeks and have never been to Mio. Should we go, and, if so, what are the best apps and entrees?

Thinking about trying Mio for the first time next week. Did you go?

Mio Restaurant's Executive Chef Roger Villalobos is participating Monday, August 1, in the first ever Chef Challenge at The Legg Mason Tennis Classic (hosted by Rums of Puerto Rico) check out this great video courtesy of NBC Washington. Visit The Legg Mason Tennis Classic website for ticket information.

Would you guys believe me if I said I played in the Legg Mason qualifying tournament in 2000?

Would you guys believe me if I said I played in the Legg Mason qualifying tournament in 2000?

Too funny!! Well, it explains the classy heritage!!! ; ). Cheers and best to you Don.....Manuel, Karla and the rest of the team [via Pedro - I send my best too!]

Hi Don,

We are having a special fundraiser dinner this Saturday at Mio in support of ThriveDC. Below please find the menu.

Chef for a Day

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chips and Dips

Roasted Pumpkin Chipotle Soup

Salad Ceviche

Mahi Mahi with Coconut Lime Broth

Beef Short Rib with Plantain and Wine Sauce

Wild mushrooms and Egg 63° (Vegetarian Alternative)

Old Fashioned Dessert

Spicy Chocolate Truffle

Please join us for a charitable chef’s tasting menu at Mio Restaurant featuring Thrive DC’s Board members, Ben Snow and Amy Freckman, as the guest chefs for the day. The very special menu focuses on Nuevo Latino cuisine with the personal touches of Ben and Amy. The owners of Mio Restaurant will graciously donate a portion of the proceeds to Thrive DC. The dinner will be $55 for multiple courses and is expected to sell out quickly. Please make your reservations today!

Thrive DC at Mio Restaurant SAVE THE DATE: Saturday, Oct. 15

Tango with your taste buds, and join Thrive DC for an evening of fun, food and helping. Join us for an evening of Nuevo Latin cuisine featuring Thrive DC board members and culinary artists Ben Snow and Amy Freckmann. A very special tasting menu will be featured and Mio will donate a portion of the proceeds from the evening to Thrive DC.

DATE: Saturday, October 15, 2011

TIME: 5:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.

Washington, DC 20005-3575

There's a new chef coming to Mio next month: Giovanna Huyke, who is possibly the most famous chef in Puerto Rico (she has a TV show, and is affectionately referred to as the "Julia Child of Puerto Rico.") Click here and here for some details.

Mio has recently tried to get back to its roots and feature native Puerto Rican dishes, and I wonder if Chef Huyke is the person who will make it work. This has the potential to be a very exciting culinary development.

Welcome in advance, Chef Huyke!

Rocks

There's a new chef coming to Mio next month: Giovanna Huyke, who is possibly the most famous chef in Puerto Rico (she has a TV show, and is affectionately referred to as the "Julia Child of Puerto Rico.") Click here and here for some details.

Mio has recently tried to get back to its roots and feature native Puerto Rican dishes, and I wonder if Chef Huyke is the person who will make it work. This has the potential to be a very exciting culinary development.

Welcome in advance, Chef Huyke!

Rocks

That sounds terrific, and I definitely want to go to Mio when she's there. Thank you for the update! I've had Puerto Rican friends ask me if there's anywhere to get good Puerto Rican food locally, and I haven't had a good answer.

Don,

Giovanna is, in fact, coming to MIO which will complete our transition to an Urban Latin/Nuevo Latino theme with a very strong accent on Puerto Rican food. She is well regarded in the industry (both US and Puerto Rico) and has for many years hosted her own TV show on the island. We invite everyone to come to Mio this Friday ("Puerto Rico Friday") where we are holding an informal "meet & greet" with her as well as roast a lechon. Our "Rum Runner" Happy Hour will take place from 5:30 to 8:30PM with $5 Rums of Puerto Rico drinks (this is our daily happy hour). We appreciate the opportunity to make these updates in your forum and please receive our warmest regards.

Pedro

Our Puerto Rican menu for tonight! Hope to see you guys around!

Giovanna’s “Antojitos”

Domplines de Amarillo Rellenos de Morcilla y Salsa Verde

Sweet Plantain Dumplings stuffed with Blood Sausage

$9

Empanaditas de Yuca Rellenas de Camarones

Yucca Mini Empanadas stuffed with Shrimp

“Mayagüez Style”

$9

Gazpacho de Bacalao sobre Crema de Aguacate

Salt Codfish Gazpacho over Avocado Cream

$12

Caldo de Pescado con Mofongo de Plátano y

Chicharrón de Piel de Pescado

Seafood Stew & Plaintain Mofongo

with Fish Skin Cracklin’

$10

Minimofo de Camarones

Mashed Crispy Green Plantain with Shrimps

$13

Tripleta Sliders

Pork, Beef & Chicken Old San Juan Style Sliders

$12

Surtido de Frituras

Puerto Rican Assortment Fritters

$13

Bacalao a la Vizcaina

Premium Salt Cod Fish Stew, Potato, Olives, Caper,

Raisins, White Rice, Avocado

$22

Asopao de Mariscos

Hearty Classic Puerto Rican Rice & Seafood Stew

$24

Mio Lechon Asado con

Ajili Mójili Sauce y Pique del País

Puerto Rican Style Roasted Suckling Pig

Appetizer

$12

Entrée

$24

Mio – Mine, Yours, Ours, Salud!!

---

Quba Libre

Don Q Cristal Rum & Coke

$9

Café San Juan

Barrilito Aged Rum, Kahlua & Passion Fruit

$9

Pisco Sour

Pisco, Lime Sour & Bitters

$9

Spicy Machu Pisco

Aji Amarillo, Passion Fruit,

Machu Pisco, Sour

$9

Pasion Urbana

Passion Fruit, Guava, Banana Rum,

Cruzan Pineapple

$9

Red Wine Sangria

Gls @ $5 or mini pitcher $25

Miojito

Don Q Cristal Rum, Mint, Limes, Sugar

$8

Caipirinha

Cachaça , Sugar, Limes

$9

Mio’s Margarita

Tequila, Cointreau, & Blood Orange

$9

Beers @ $6

Drafts

Lagunitas IPA

Estrella Damm

Port City Lager

Negra Modelo

Modelo Especial

Puerto Rican Menu

A quick note to announce tonight's special for those of you seeking a detour from turkey leftovers. Chef Giovanna will make a regional specialty from Puerto Rico called "Guiso de Cabeza de Lechón" (Roasted Pig's Head). She uses the head of our Guavate style roasted lechón and slowly stews it, making sure to capture the morsels of cheeks, neck and tongue meat and letting them melt with "guisantes" (green peas), prunes, potatoes, pumpkin and served with white rice.

We will also serve a "criollo" style seafood stew layered with white beans and sliced potatoes. And please try her "Asia/Caribe" tuna tartar.

Our mini mofongos have been tweaked by Chef Giovanna to become a bit sweeter, using "platanos pintones" (rippened plantains) and served with shrimps with a citrus glaze.

We are also offering the classic Puerto Rican and very potent eggnog called "coquito". And tonight's dessert specials: Guava Tarte with Frangipane and Mousse de Dulce de Leche with Spicy Chocolate Sauce!

Chef Giovanna will gladly step out of the kitchen and introduce herself to any of you interested to know more about the ingredients and techniques she uses. She really looks forward to hear your thoughts and introduce herself to the community.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and we hope you come again to MIO and get to know us again.

Thank you to all.

I was at the bar on November 16 before a photo class around 5:30ish. We ordered an empanada, chicken skewers and shrimp of some sort. They were all quite tasty, and made me think the Puerto Rican menu items would be good bets well worth another visit. The only turn off was the really obnoxious bartender who seemed to be more interested in chatting with the hostess than helping us at all and she took so long to fill any orders. It took about ten minutes to even be acknowledged. Had we had more help we might have ate and drank more. Another bartender came onto the floor in a bit and he was more helpful. But that didn't sit with me well.

Has the menu changed to all Puetro Rican food or is it going to? That seems much more interesting to me, but Friday nights are always hard nights for me to get into the city.

Dear ktmoomau,

Apologies for the embarrassing delay in responding. We appreciate the feedback…really do, and have made notes of your comments and shared with the staff (more on this later). Please allow me to share a few comments about our Puerto Rican menu and the overall approach Chef Giovanna has traditionally taken to Puerto Rican cuisine and how this has changed our own. First, based on your description, you sampled our standing items from the bar menu which are favorites and have slowly made their way into a permanent menu throughout the last two years of our modern Latin focus. Chef Giovanna will likely keep these on the menu for now but has already added and changed the flavor profile to incorporate modern Puerto Rican interpretations. This means the following: Island players such as “longaniza”, “morcilla”, “funche”, and Mayaguez-style shrimp/plantain “timbals” (yucca/plantain dough steamed inside a plantain leaf and stuffed with criollo shrimp) are being introduced to the list. “Puerto Rico Fridays” is the day where she focuses on more traditional recipe renditions of the Island’s menu, and the rest of the week you will find more modern interpretations of Latin American dishes, many with a pronounced Puerto Rican accent (by accent we usually mean the presence of elements such as our “sofrito”, which is our version of “mirepoix” – a general blending of cubannelle peppers, sweet Caribbean peppers (we call them “ají dulces”, when available, as they need to be flown in from Puerto Rico), “culantro” (not to be confused with “cilantro” as they are related, but not the same, in appearance and flavor), onions and so forth as merited by individual recipes (our “sofritos” vary depending on preference and purpose, somewhat similar to the South Asian approach to curries). Chef Giovanna has made it a point to gradually eliminate direct references to the proper names of Latin American dishes as she feels it would be somewhat insulting to them to claim our “Causa Peruana” would be 100% authentic, but rather present them with a caveat that a Puerto Rican interpretative flavor accent has been added to the dish. This is not a stretch as currently Puerto Rican-Peruvian fusion is very popular on the island, a style called “Peru-Rican” food. Where you will pick meaningful subtleties are on dishes such as “Puerto Rican Seafood Stew”, where she places close attention to the development of a subtle tomato stew base built on a solid “sofrito” foundation. The “Chillo Frito”, or Fried Whole Red Snapper , is being executed with more attention to the traditional way we fry them back on the island which means a more balanced ratio of coating elements, a more assetive brine and a more balanced presentation. The “lechón asado” (whole roasted pig) we prepare on Fridays follow the traditional seasoning recipes used in Guavate, a renowned “lechonera” village outside of San Juan. Chef Giovanna would gladly show you the marinade (even the lechon!) and discuss with you the traditional stories anytime you visit us – and we mean it. She is highly approachable and philosophically believes in our “Cocina Abierta” (Open Kitchen) format, where we do not over submit the food nor dictate how the customer needs to eat and enjoy the food, much less interact with us. On your second point regarding services, this is the type of feedback that keeps us honest and on our toes. We addressed it directly with our bartender and it was recognized as a regrettable oversight. Please accept our apologies and know the observation did not go in vain. Thank you again for visiting us. We appreciate your business and are working hard to exceed your expectations.

Pedro

ktmoonau,

You are very welcome! And if time and circumstances permit, please do introduce yourself to Manuel, the owner (who has been cc'd on all this thread) and Chef Giovanna. They really enjoy talking about the recipes and history behind the dishes. I have included a link below for your familiarization of Chef Giovanna. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Pedro

http://www.miorestaurant.com/aboutmio/giovanna-huyke/

¡Buenos días!

Just a quick note to tell you about Chef Giovanna's dinner special tonight. She has prepared the traditional Puerto Rican version of "Patitas de Cerdo con Garbanzos" - Pig's Feet with Chick Peas. The feet are desalted, soaked, simmered and de-boned, then slowly stewed with fresh chick peas, Puerto Rican sofrito and authentic Spanish chorizo until a thick, "tomatoey" and collagen rich stage is reached. This will be served with white rice. A definite hearty dish.

Also, please remember that today is our "Puerto Rico Friday" and a whole Guavate-stye lechon will be roasted and served with Yuca al Mojo and Ajili Mojili dipping sauce.

¡Buenos días!

Just a quick note to tell you about Chef Giovanna's dinner special tonight. She has prepared the traditional Puerto Rican version of "Patitas de Cerdo con Garbanzos" - Pig's Feet with Chick Peas. The feet are desalted, soaked, simmered and de-boned, then slowly stewed with fresh chick peas, Puerto Rican sofrito and authentic Spanish chorizo until a thick, "tomatoey" and collagen rich stage is reached. This will be served with white rice. A definite hearty dish.

Also, please remember that today is our "Puerto Rico Friday" and a whole Guavate-stye lechon will be roasted and served with Yuca al Mojo and Ajili Mojili dipping sauce.

I sure wish our server would have mentioned the pig's feet special to us last night. When we asked about the "Puerto Rican Friday" she told us about the lechon, which we had as an app. I had the whole snapper which was good, but man that special sounds great.