"The Aristocrats" (2005) - Comedy-Documentary About "The" Joke, Produced by Penn Jilette and Paul Provenza

The Hersch

There is a 2005 film, "The Aristrocrats," Produced by the King Of Creepy Penn Jilette, and Paul Provenza. I saw the film when it came out, and in my opinion, once you've heard Gottfried's version of the joke, there is no reason to see it, because his is - by far - the best delivered in the movie. There are a few others that are good (the film consists of some commentary and interviews, but the crux of it is various comedians telling the joke), but Gottfried's pretty much stands alone.

I loved the movie The Aristocrats, and laughed myself almost into insensibility during much of it. I obviously found it funnier than almost anyone else in the theatre where I saw it, and felt a little weird laughing at things no one else seemed to think were funny. But Sarah Silverman's segment really sent me over the edge, as much as Gilbert Gottfried's did, and some of the others were very funny too. I think it's worth seeing the movie in its entirety.

There is a 2005 film, "The Aristrocrats," Produced by the King Of Creepy Penn Jilette, and Paul Provenza. I saw the film when it came out, and in my opinion, once you've heard Gottfried's version of the joke, there is no reason to see it, because his is - by far - the best delivered in the movie. There are a few others that are good (the film consists of some commentary and interviews, but the crux of it is various comedians telling the joke), but Gottfried's pretty much stands alone.

I agree with you that Gilbert Gottfried's is the best version, but I feel it's also worth mentioning Bob Saget's version in "The Aristocrats".  Not everyone knows he works blue--a lot of folks are used to him from "Full House" and "America's Funniest Home Videos."  It's quite the different Bob in that movie.

Agree that it's a great, but weird movie. I haven't seen it in a long time so my memory may be off, but at the time I kept thinking, "when is the actual movie going to start?!?!" And then the actual movie ended!!

And regarding Bob Saget - - you should see his HBO special if you already haven't. The "Full House Dad", he ain't!

"The Aristrocrats" was the turning point in the public opinion of Bob Saget - before then, he was the yuck guy on America's Funniest Home Videos: pretty much the ultimate in family fare.

My oh my, how some eyes (including my own) were opened. I also agree that Sarah Silverman's, like Bob Saget's, was one of the best in the movie. Didn't someone tell the joke in sign language? I thought that was pretty darned funny.

I'm getting a little bit of "Sarah Silverman Fatigue" - is there anyone else, or is it only me? I think she's relying too much on the shock-factor combination of her cuteness (and yes, she's stunningly cute) combined with raw crudité, and now that I've seen some pictures of her without makeup (like Madonna, who is 56, and who would be doing both herself and the world a service if she started toning it down a bit), I'm of the impression that Silverman needs to broaden her repertoire before Father Time forces her to. While that may sound sexist, it isn't - I don't mind her being crude at all (*that* would be sexist), but there's slowly approaching a point when nobody would *want* to get scissored by her. Granted, that point is still in the distance, but it's on the horizon. As long as I'm at it, Jimmy Kimmel is an unfunny jerk.