The NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament aka "March Madness" (1939-), Mar 19 - Apr 8, 2019

lovehockey

Games for this year's NCAA tourney (2019) will start later this week.   Having spent some time watching the ACC tourney last week I'm now more interested.   In one of those rare years, this year's tourney has 3 teams from one league (ACC) as #1 seeds.   While I suppose that seems like dominance both the SEC and the Big 10 have a group of teams in the tourney and a LOT of high seeds.   

As per usual there is and will be endless writings and articles about the tourney, including one little piece of silliness which rates the basketball skills of the coaches of the 68 teams, ranking their skills from 1-68.  You will need to read the story to see how they are ranked.  

Now I particularly think this is silliness having this year attended one big conference game wherein the Coaches had been super stars.  Earlier in the regular season I attended a college game between St Johns and Georgetown, both storied teams of the Big East.  Why did I go to this game of so many???   It was because of the coaches, Patrick Ewing coaching his alma mater, Georgetown, and his old foe in college, Chris Mullin coaching his alma mater, St Johns.  Those two were college stars of stars in their hey day. 

Conclusion?????    Mediocre game and teams--and there were/are no Mullins or Ewings on either squad....some good players but none that reflect the former skills of their coaches.

Further conclusion????   Caring about the former basketball abilities of a coach has absolutely zero relevance to a team's play.   But if you want to spend some time reading about "old coaches"...well there is an article for you. 

Now as to this year's tournament: I have no favorites.  Zion Williamson of Duke is probably leaps and bounds better than any other player in the college game today.  Meanwhile watching UNC over the weekend was cool.  I forgot about them.  They have featured fast breaks for years and they can run some beauties.  So I'll try and catch them.

Good luck with your picks.

Darn.  Washington played a zone against UNC negating the ability of their flashy wavy haired guard Coby White to drive on them.  It’s precisely what I had hoped to see.  Regardless he hit 3 pointers in the first half and in the second half UNC shredded the zone wherein the Washington guards were too extended.  UNC’s big men killed them.  A steady romp in the second half.  

Also got to see Ja Morant of Murray State, often described as a probable top 2 or 3 draft choice.   Fla State of the ACC crushed his team but he was good.   How good?  Well he ain’t no Alan Iverson but we’ll see in the future.

This evening, I was sitting in a ramen bar, and noticed on a TV that UCF was ahead of Duke with 2 minutes to play - I found the game on my cell phone (!), and watched the ending without sound. I have no idea what other people are saying about the game, but this was absolutely one of the most exciting finishes to a basketball game I've ever seen. With 10-seconds remaining, Duke needed everything - and I do mean *everything* - to go right for them, and as if someone had placed a curse on UCF, everything that could go right for Duke, did, and everything that could go wrong for UCF, did. With just a few seconds left to play, it seemed like someone had put a lid over the basket when UCF tried to shoot - it was positively thrilling, and heartbreaking, to watch (I wasn't particularly pulling for one team over the other).

So what actually happened on a normal-sized screen, and with sound? (I purposely haven't looked yet, but I suspect people are saying that Duke escaped with their lives, and that those poor kids from UCF will be shedding tears of grief over this game for the rest of their lives.) 

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

This evening, I was sitting in a ramen bar, and noticed on a TV that UCF was ahead of Duke with 2 minutes to play - I found the game on my cell phone (!), and watched the ending without sound. I have no idea what other people are saying about the game, but this was absolutely one of the most exciting finishes to a basketball game I've ever seen. With 10-seconds remaining, Duke needed everything - and I do mean *everything* - to go right for them, and as if someone had placed a curse on UCF, everything that could go right for Duke, did, and everything that could go wrong for UCF, did. With just a few seconds left to play, it seemed like someone had put a lid over the basket when UCF tried to shoot - it was positively thrilling, and heartbreaking, to watch (I wasn't particularly pulling for one team over the other).

So what actually happened on a normal-sized screen, and with sound? (I purposely haven't looked yet, but I suspect people are saying that Duke escaped with their lives, and that those poor kids from UCF will be shedding tears of grief over this game for the rest of their lives.) 

I only saw highlights.  Duke was fortunate.

Here is some college basketball trivia I didn’t realize until after the game/highlights connecting UCF/Duke.

U F’s high scorer for the game, Aubrey Dawkins is the son of coach Johnny Dawkins.  Johnny Dawkins was a former Duke All-American, having played for coach K.  He went on to an NBA career, and a college coaching career including assisting Coach K before he became a head coach. 

But there is a greater connection.   Johnny Dawkins was Coach K’s first great recruit as part of an excellent recruiting class that ultimately made it to Coach K’s first NCAA finals.  That team set the pattern for Coach K’s long run and possibly saved his career at Duke.  Another teammate is the Bilastrator.   A little bit of NCAA and Coach K/Duke history re: the Dawkins class.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

"In the 128 Seconds that Swung Duke's Survival of UCF, Every Little Detail Mattered" by Jonathon Jones on si.com

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Having seen this a bit, neither of the last two shots were easy or automatic.  Both close, but not shoo ins or easy shots, or automatic-should have gone in shots, including the tip in,.  But damn they were close.  Very close.  Meanwhile often games are about match ups.  UCF's enormous guy in the middle frustrated and played good enough defense of Zion Willamson that he somewhat negated the superman effect.  That made an enormous difference.   Coach Dawkins son Aubrey hit from everywhere.  He was HOT. 

As per their record, without Zion Willamson Duke is not utterly unstoppable or unbeatable.  Same goes for a Willamson who is somewhat negated in a way that no other college team could do.  There is much to be said for 7' 6" tall.

28 minutes ago, MC Horoscope said:

I'm done with it by the time they get to 16 teams unless there were upsets or I have a team involved. They drag this out unnecessarily from here to the final game. My attention will be on MLB.

It takes a month or so, but so do the playoffs for all professional sports.  OTOH;  an old fart as myself was a fan of the excellent U Md team that was probably one of the 3 best teams in college basketball in 1974, losing a very close game to UCLA with Walton in the regular season and a brutal game in overtime of the ACC finals to North Carolina State in what has to go down as one of the greatest college games ever.

2nd place in the ACC (ACC tourney) was not good enough.  They never got into the tournament.  I'll go with the many teams and extended excitement.   ,,,but to each his own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

It takes a month or so, but so do the playoffs for all professional sports.  OTOH;  an old fart as myself was a fan of the excellent U Md team that was probably one of the 3 best teams in college basketball in 1974, losing a very close game to UCLA with Walton in the regular season and a brutal game in overtime of the ACC finals to North Carolina State in what has to go down as one of the greatest college games ever.

2nd place in the ACC (ACC tourney) was not good enough.  They never got into the tournament.  I'll go with the many teams and extended excitement.   ,,,but to each his own.

I assume this was Len Elmore and not Brad Davis, aka, the "three-guard offense?"

Owen Brown

47 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I assume this was Len Elmore and not Brad Davis, aka, the "three-guard offense?"

Owen Brown

That ACC game deserves its own thread.  It was the ACC championship game that season...and not the NCAA's.  U Md was so good, and far superior to virtually all teams in the nation but did not get into the NCAA's.  It was the game that forced the NCAA's to expand the tourney.  

Note I just happened to look up this game in Google and see there are 3 videos uploaded.  Now that is a gold mine.  For decades the only taped version was one shown every few years on TV.    I'll have to get to those videos when I have more time.

As to the make up of the Maryland team--no Brad Davis was not yet a part of the team.  Its stars were Seniors Tom McMillan and Len Elmore as the big men and underclassman John Lucas as the point guard.  Probably Owen Brown was on that team and a sub.  Come to think of it David Thompson of NC State was the Zion Williamson of his day--the super duper duper and add another super ultra star of the era.  With all the great ACC players over the eras I don't think anyone else comes close to him.  Meanwhile across the country Bill Walton was the Big Man super star--at a similar quality level.   Finally even as Thompson was the star of stars in college at that time, in this amazing game the guy that pulled it out for NC State was their Center Tom Burleson, who probably had the game of his career.

U Maryland played both those teams to a virtual draw that season--getting edged out in both cases. 

Now back to those video's referenced above.  This basketball game is often lauded as the best game in the history of college basketball.   Here is a chance to watch it.  It opens the discussion for which teams and eras are better--now or in the past.

6 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Come to think of it David Thompson of NC State was the Zion Williamson of his day--the super duper duper and add another super ultra star of the era.  With all the great ACC players over the eras I don't think anyone else comes close to him. 

Not Michael Jordan or Len Bias?

Regardless, I'm pretty sure David Thompson is credited for being the player who (forgive me) elevated the dunk into a breathtaking event.

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Not Michael Jordan or Len Bias?

Regardless, I'm pretty sure David Thompson is credited for being the player who (forgive me) elevated the dunk into a breathtaking event.

Read most histories and lists or listacles about ACC basketball and I'm sure you will find Thompson as the greatest player in the vast majority.   Of note Jordan had David Thompson introduce him to the basketball HOF.  Thompson was his hero growing up.

The oft quoted comment about Jordan in college is that Dean Smith played the best defense against him of all players over all time.  Dean kept him from absolutely dominating and kept him from breaking scoring records.  Not really a problem Jordan played with other college super stars on his team.  As great as we treat Bias in Maryland there are many others in the ACC who would probably rank with or above him in "greatness".   Ralph Sampson was a 3 time college player of the year, Duke's Laettner had an amazing college career with championships and amazing games.   Tim Duncan quietly dominated.  There are others who approach those levels.

Relative to the way Zion Williamson has dominated this season--it brings back to mind the level of dominance David Thompson revealed.  I don't know how many videos there are of Thompson playing...but I watched him in college and in the pro's even seeing him in person.  Thompson's skill level was other worldly.  He ruined his pro career with drugs and he also suffered leg injuries.  Certainly Jordan was far superior in the pro's...and who knows how good Jordan would have been in college if he was unleashed. 

But in terms of being dominant--I think Zion Williamson today, easily the number one player in college equates with David Thompson in his era. 

BTW:  I saw Dr J and David Thompson play one another in the ABA--they were so remarkably better than all others on the court.  Among the all time best players at their peak.

Addendum and added:  I think Dr J "elevated the dunk" before David Thompson.  Dr J is a bit older and was dunking hither and yon before David Thompson launched from earth to the heavens.   David Thompson had more vertical leap, probably being one of the best ever.  Dr. J could sky, most definitely not as high off the ground but combined it with long attacks from anywhere on the court combined with long arms and a ball controlled by one hand.  Come to think of it Connie Hawkins, who must have joined the NBA in the late 60's or early 70's and was older than Dr J did that same kind of one handed arm waving dunking before Dr J. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

I take back everything I said about tuning out. The Elite 8 games have been great! Virginia - Purdue was a classic, and I could have been happy for either team winning!

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Likewise Michigan State - Duke

I watched only one game this weekend:  Texas Tech - Gonzaga.  It too was excellent, high quality play, remarkably close the entire game till the very end, simply great competition.  

I knew nothing of Texas Tech.  It turns out they and Virginia had the stingiest defenses in college ball this year.  They were stealing or deflecting the ball in the paint all game long at a remarkable level.

Hopefully a competitive final four