Map of Metal - Internet Mapping of the History of Metal

Pool Boy

This link is an excellent resource for discussion of all of the myriad subgenres of metal. It is pretty fascinating and a good jumping off point for finding stuff you never knew existed. Find a few bands from the linked snippets and Spotify (or other streaming tool of your choice) and prepare to find 50 other bands. Some only have a single song you might like (and think the rest are crap), but you never know!

One band, In Mourning, I like only one song from, but I love it. Colossus

• Like 3

When worlds collide, it can be pretty awkward.

Believe it or not, I *think* I used to go out to the Black Rooster Pub with the drummer of Tank, Gary Taylor. I had *no* idea until just this minute that they were a known band. It's under "New Wave Of British Heavy Metal" which, from what I know, pretty much describes where his band would be.

I'm telling you, this guy was Spinal Tap incarnate. And the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, too. If this is him, the circle of my life has been completed.

post-2-0-57771400-1427054288_thumb.png

---

Well, I'll be damned. Here's a response to my email:

---

Dude,

Look at this.

I remember going to the Black Rooster with Gary, and that he was a drummer in a band called Tank in England. Is the band "Tank" in this map the one with *our* Gary?! Like, Black Rooster Pub Gary?!

If so, this is two worlds colliding that are so far apart that I'm speechless.

---

It is indeed. Tank was considered pretty influential - they even have their own wikipedia page. I also knew their guitarist from London, Cliff Evans. Coincidentally enough, I just 2 weeks ago re-connected with Gary via email after over a dozen years.  He's living in LA and is in a band called "The Deserters".

Small world, eh?  So, how are you these days?  

- Curtis
  • Like 2

OK this is just awesome. Truly.

Well, it gets deeper. In a follow-up email:

---

You didn't realize you were drinking with a legendary drummer, eh?  Before Tank, he was in a band called Streetfighter (in his hometown of Blackpool), the guitarist of which went on to form Whitesnake (another very famous British metal band).

---

I should also add: Curtis's email/website is upto11.com. :)

If "Glam Metal" is one of the subgenres that interest you, don't miss the M3 Festival held every year at Merriweather Post Pavillion.

This year's lineup includes:

Friday:

Kix (Fri headliner)

Dokken (well, Don at least, busted pipes and all)

Jack Russell's Great White (as opposed to the version that is just Great White that tours without JR)

Quiet Riot (current frontman Jizzy Pearl, RIP Kevin)

Trixter

Dio Disciples (some of the guys that were still playing with RJD when he passed, playing old Dio, Sabbath, Rainbow, etc.)

Saturday:

Europe (Sat headliner)

Tom Keifer (apparently Cinderella is no more)

Queensrí¿che (not the Geoff Tate version)

Krokus

Warrant (Robert Mason, formerly of Lynch Mob, replacing deceased singer Jani Lane)

Y&T

Winery Dogs ("supergroup" with Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, and Ritchie Kotzen)

L.A. Guns (the Phil Lewis version, not the Tracii Guns version)

Vixen

Bang Tango (the Joe Lesté version, not "Bang Tango Redux" with the rest of the classic lineup)

Black N Blue

Tyketto

Rhino Bucket

Killer Dwarfs

Bad Seed Rising (Baltimore local teen metal band - they invite one most years)

Why is it that so many metal bands insist on white lettering that is impossible to read, all always on a black background?!

When you read about the various festivals, there are 100 logos and they all end up looking the same. This week, driving to work, I was behind a car from NY where they had maybe 20 metal band bumper stickers,only 2 or 3 I could decipher. Oh and the license plate was custom -- SKULLZ. :)

And for those of you that missed it the first time around, the map of metal still exists!