Alewife, American Pub Specializing in Beer on N. Eutaw and W. Fayette Street near Lexington Market - Closed

This place is on Eutaw Street, near the Edgar Allen Poe House and the UMD Medical center. We had dinner there last night.

If you go to their web site (http://www.alewifebaltimore.com/), the brief slide show gives you a good idea of what it's like inside -- dark, lots of wood surfaces. It's in an old bank building. I'm not an expert on architecture, but the outside says "Greek revival" to me. The inside features one small interior room, not pictured in the slide show, that may have been the vault, complete with steel door.

They have a huge selection of beers, both on tap and in bottles. If you can't find anything you like, then you just don't like beer. They also offer cocktails and wine. I wasn't in the mood for beer last night, so I enjoyed a stiff Manhattan and a serviceable glass of pinot noir. Both of my dining companions branched out and tried a couple drafts they'd never tasted before.

For food, daughter and I had the same thing, starting with the smoked tomato soup, which was good, and the Cajun pot pie, which was just OK. It was at least 90% rice, with little evidence of the promised andouille, crawfish, crab, shrimp and chicken, and while pleasantly warming on chilly evening, the flavor was largely one-note (cayenne).

My SO had a black bean burger with fries, which she liked well enough.

Service was pleasant and efficient on an evening when the front room consisted of 5 or 6 tables and a few customers at the long bar, such that the lone waiter was easily able to see to everyone's needs.

It's likely we will return to try some other items on the menu and explore the beer list.

• Like 1

Second visit here for dinner this past Sunday evening. I like that they have two invasive species items on the menu: Potomac River blue catfish tacos and wild boar sliders. We tried the sliders, which mimic typical banh mi flavors. They were good, the meat a little on the dry side but rescued by the condiments. The three sliders were more than I could consume without chucking bun pieces mid-way through the second one and foregoing at least half of just-ok fries.

• Like 1

They've upped their invasive species game with snakehead cakes! I didn't sample them but my SO seemed to enjoy hers. I probably should have ordered the snakehead instead of the mediocre crab cake sandwich (I think I'm 0 for 5 on crab cakes this year -- none that I've had were sufficient to scratch the itch).

They've upped their invasive species game with snakehead cakes! I didn't sample them but my SO seemed to enjoy hers. I probably should have ordered the snakehead instead of the mediocre crab cake sandwich (I think I'm 0 for 5 on crab cakes this year -- none that I've had were sufficient to scratch the itch).

I wonder what percentage of the meat is snakehead - this seems like a good way to serve it because it's very tough (think how muscular a Northern Snakehead is), and a purée-like grind seems like it would work well. Deep-fried or broiled? How much filler?