• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if it's just you tiao you're looking for, I think every place we go for dim sum in the area (even the Hong Kong style places) have them. North China and A&J obviously specialize in Northern Chinese cooking, but I've seen you tiao regularly at New Fortune, Hollywood East, Silver Fountain, etc.

Well, if it's just you tiao you're looking for, I think every place we go for dim sum in the area (even the Hong Kong style places) have them. North China and A&J obviously specialize in Northern Chinese cooking, but I've seen you tiao regularly at New Fortune, Hollywood East, Silver Fountain, etc.

Northern style is different. The you tiao seen at Cantonese dim sum is mainly an accessory to congee. I would like the big, fat, fluffy, almost elephant-ear-sized ones, please. How about North China? It's close to metro correct? I have not been there.

I won't have a car.

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

I encourage others to visit and see if they agree or not -- there may be a new king of dim sum in MD, and it's...Far East?!?

Yes, not a typo.  The one that's been around for 45 years and whose website says that it specializes in "Szechuan and Mandarin" cuisine.  My family and I moved to Montgomery County 40 years ago and I don't recall having been here more than a few times before.

But on the recommendation of their friends, we went with my parents yesterday and (pardon the cliche) it was a revelation.  There's a certain richness and freshness in the shumai and the shrimp dumplings that aren't present anymore at Silver Fountain or Hollywood East.  The radish cakes actually taste like radish, and the taro dumplings have way more filling than fried outer shell.  The items tend to cost $1 more here than at the other dim sum joints, but I suspect that's a function of better ingredients, portion size, and execution.

The place was packed at opening, and when we left around 12:30, there were still tons of folks waiting in the lobby.

This is our family's new dim sum destination in the foreseeable future.

Far East has been open since 1974, and gets a listing in the Oldest Restaurants in the Washington, DC Area.

---

Far East (silentbob)

I’ve now been to two Han Palace locations- Tyson’s and Woodley Park. Both are lovely and elegant, but Tyson’s has a slightly bigger menu that offers items like steamed rice crepes with shrimp or tea smoked duck that the other locations cannot accommodate. No carts. Fast service. Good for when you don’t  want to drive all the way to Maryland.

713E98F5-E8D2-4C6C-892C-DB762B943EC8.jpeg

There's a third Han Palace on Barracks Row that has been open for a couple of months.  The place is very small so I'm better that carts are not an option.  They have two different all you can eat menus that are available anytime or any day.  One sticks to dim sum type items, the other covers the entire menu.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bart said:

There's a third Han Palace on Barracks Row that has been open for a couple of months.  The place is very small so I'm better that carts are not an option.  They have two different all you can eat menus that are available anytime or any day.  One sticks to dim sum type items, the other covers the entire menu.

Thanks @Bart I've been waiting for this one to open and their website still says "coming soon." Any idea what the price of the all you can eat options are? 

17 hours ago, eatruneat said:

Thanks @Bart I've been waiting for this one to open and their website still says "coming soon." Any idea what the price of the all you can eat options are? 

I have a paper menu at home that I can check but my recollection is that it was either $38 for the dim sum and $48 for the full menu, or $48/$58 respectively.  I took my son here a couple months ago and we did the dim sum option.  It was good but not great, but pretty economical for a 24 year old who can do some damage to plates of dumplings!

If you go, try to avoid sitting at the bar.  That was the only option they had for us, but the bar seemed a little high for the height of the chairs.

• Thanks 1

Turns out they don't have the all you can eat dim sum (or full menu option) listed on the paper menu that I took home, but I remember seeing on the actual menu they give you at the place.  Sorry about that!

• Thanks 1