• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the parking like?

The restaurant is on the SE corner of Wilson Blvd and Lynn St, in the same building as WJLA (easy to spot because of the huge scrolling news ticker). According to China Garden's website, there's parking nearby that's free on the weekends. According to Arlington County, the closer garages aren't open on the weekends.

Arlington County's list of Rosslyn garages and maps thereof

The restaurant is about one block from the Rosslyn Metro, which is how we're planning to get there.

The restaurant is on the SE corner of Wilson Blvd and Lynn St, in the same building as WJLA (easy to spot because of the huge scrolling news ticker). According to China Garden's website, there's parking nearby that's free on the weekends. According to Arlington County, the closer garages aren't open on the weekends.

Arlington County's list of Rosslyn garages and maps thereof

The restaurant is about one block from the Rosslyn Metro, which is how we're planning to get there.

The free underground parking is in the same building as China Garden - it's on Wilson Blvd, east of Lynn (just make sure you don't go too far, otherwise you end up on rt 110 to crystal city!)

Perhaps it's time to consider our NoVa expeditions. Would anyone be interested in a journey to Rosslyn's China Garden on February 19? We can stick with the usual 1pm start time to accomodate those with Sunday morning obligations (they serve dim sum from 11:30 to 3pm).

Edit: Thanks for the tip, rbh. The +1 and I will be in Tysons that morning (thus the choice of dates) and should easily make it to Rosslyn by 1pm to snag a number.

I'm in.

A reminder - the Dim Sundays group makes its first excursion to NoVa on Sunday, 19 February. We will meet at China Garden in Rosslyn at 1pm.

Please post in this thread by 10am Sunday morning if you're planning to attend - I plan to get to the restaurant around 12:45 to put us on the table list, and will need an approximate number of diners by then.

Look for a very short woman wearing a bright orange hat.

(And hey, I love pears!)

A reminder - the Dim Sundays group makes its first excursion to NoVa on Sunday, 19 February. We will meet at China Garden in Rosslyn at 1pm.

Please post in this thread by 10am Sunday morning if you're planning to attend - I plan to get to the restaurant around 12:45 to put us on the table list, and will need an approximate number of diners by then.

(And hey, I love pears!)

Happy Birthday Pear-i! :lol:

I'm still planning to be there - thanks!

(And hey, I love pears!)

I'm in, sans husband this time.

This will unfortunately be the first Dim Sunday that I'm going to miss. The boy and I have soccer clinics on Sunday afternoons for the next month. Take notes!

This will unfortunately be the first Dim Sunday that I'm going to miss. The boy and I have soccer clinics on Sunday afternoons for the next month. Take notes!

Will do! But now who's going to eat all the sesame balls? We'll set up the Jesse Wong Hong Kong trip in April so you won't have to miss out.

This sounds interesting.  What is the parking situation like on Sunday?  Is the place to the right or the left of the Key Bridge (after one crosses it)?  Do you have room for a dim sum patzer?

There's parking info earlier in this thread, and you can see a map at China Garden's website. We're planning to use Metro (about 1 block from the Rosslyn station). And there's plenty of room for everyone - please join us!

Oh boy, did I get lost! :)

Well, not lost exactly. I was right there. But I couldn't find the restaurant to save my life. I even called the restaurant and could only get a vague description of where it is. I walked around till I was frozen, and then tried driving around, till I wound up on Lynn St. going the wrong way! :huh:

I thought I knew right where it was, because I used to work in Rosslyn and used to get lunch from that restaurant once or twice a week. But it's not where I remember it being (neither are a lot of other things around there).

That'll teach me! I usually do Mapquest AND take my ADC book with me, and I didn't even have the street address written down this time.

I'm going to take a hot bath and daydream about the food I missed. I ended up at the Whole Foods in Alexandria munching wood-grilled pizza, which was good, but not the same. :lol:

'm going to take a hot bath and daydream about the food I missed.  I ended up at the Whole Foods in Alexandria munching wood-grilled pizza, which was good, but not the same. :lol:

Sorry you couldn't make it! It's not too hard to find the building, but figuring out the parking and entrance was a definite challenge. You might have gotten the better meal at WF anyway - China Garden was okay, but very little struck us as particularly memorable. Fabulous custard tarts, though.

rbh, thank you so much for suggesting that someone sign in ahead of time! I got to China Garden at 12:15 and it was a madhouse. I had our group put on the list right away, and we went in around 1:10.

Before we had wiped away the mess from this meal, we already had our eyes (well, stomachs) looking toward the next outings. There are two dim sum ventures to be scheduled for the near future.

1. The next edition of the NoVa Dim Sum Comparo will be at Fortune, date unknown. I've never been there and am totally unfamiliar with the parking/crowd situation. Any Fortune veterans who can lend a hand with planning?

2. The MontCo group has decided that we have no choice but to return to Hollywood East On The Boulevard and New Fortune with all due speed. Our current plan is to visit HEOTB on 5 March 2006 at 1pm. (don't worry Daniel, we'll schedule another visit after your soccer commitment is over) As usual, all are welcome! Post here or PM me if you're interested in attending.

Also, for future visits, we should choose a group name for the waiting list so late arrivals can find us. It should be distinctive but easy enough to spell so a hostess without a strong grasp of English can jot it down and call it out. (but in deference to our valued leader's wishes, the group name should not directly reference his own moniker)

I don't know why, but "Pineapple" leapt to mind immediately.

Edited by perrik

Sorry you got turned around Scottee! I was watching the door for you :lol:

Fortune is in the parking lot beside the Home Depot on Route 50 (not to be crass, but it's the 'sniper' Home Depot, in case that helps anyone pinpoint the location). If you're coming east on 50, the easiest way to get there would be to make a left on Patrick Henry and then an immediate right on to the service road. From 7/Leesburg Pike, you can turn into the shopping center entrance that is closest to 50 and follow the drive down the hill and around the front of the mall (Barnes & Noble/Ross). Fortune is in a free standing building toward the road (Rte 50). It's been years since I was there, but I do remember that they had a pretty good selection.

Edited by goldenticket

Sounds about right for China Garden... you see the hordes of people.... many Chinese, you think it's going to rock.... it's not a bad meal, but you're not wowed, and are left thinking that the work (the wait) wasn't worth that, given the other options.

At Fortune, the wait is hit-or-miss.... I've gone at times and there's no wait at all, even for a large group... other times, it's 20 minutes. You do have to compete for parking with the Sunday home depot crowd, but it's doable. I'll try to make it to that one whenever it is. It's one of the best in the area. Right along that 2 mile stretch of Rt 7 from 7 Corners out to Bailey's X-Roads are 3 of the places on your VA list - Mark's Duck House (other side of Rt 50 from Fortune), Fortune, and Lucky 3. I've heard good things about Lucky 3 and Mark's Duck House, but have been to neither.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the HEOTB outing.

I love Mark's Duck House. I have never had the Dim Sum (owing to working every weekend :lol: ) but if the rest of the food is any indication, it should be very good.....try the crispy pork there, ask them to warm it up a bit, I think it's the best crispy pork in town. Anything "duck" is also very good. And I hear if you call ahead (I'm not sure how long in advance, maybe 3-4 days) you can request a roast suckling pig. Thanks for the info on Fortune, I live close to both these restaurants and always wondered if a restaurant in the Home Depot parking lot could be any good. :huh:

I've been to fortune dozens of times, both for dim sum and for their regular menu, and it's quite tasty. The dim sum can be uneven tho, depending on the day. If it's too crowded, the carts don't always make it enough times around, and if it's too empty, things aren't always warm. A few times I haven't gotten what I hoped for because the cart never made it to me. I suppose you could say that about most dim sum places tho. The steam cart, probably the most popular, can be elusive, so keep your eye out for it! My wife and I regualrly eat there for under $20, so that's a plus as well.

I wasn't sure I was actually going to attend the Fortune gathering, but one look at the menu and... wow. We need to choose a date.

HEOTB is scheduled for March 5 - when shall we investigate Fortune? I'm free on all Sundays for the next two months, as far as I know. We can do this on a Saturday if that fits everyone's schedule better.

I wasn't sure I was actually going to attend the Fortune gathering, but one look at the menu and... wow. We need to choose a date.

HEOTB is scheduled for March 5 - when shall we investigate Fortune? I'm free on all Sundays for the next two months, as far as I know. We can do this on a Saturday if that fits everyone's schedule better.

I can't do any Sundays until 3/26, but I'm open every Saturday.

Bumping with a reminder... we're going to meet up at Hollywood East On The Boulevard next Sunday (5 March) at 1pm. For those who haven't been there, driving directions are available on their website. Caution - we will be at Hollywood East On The Boulevard (University Blvd between Georgia Ave and Viers Mill Rd), not the original Hollywood East on Price Ave.

There is parking next to the restaurant, metered street parking, and two public lots (see map for locations). The lot next to HEOTB and the smaller public lot across the street are usually full, but lot #34 has tons of elbow room and it's only a 1.5 block walk. There's no parking fee on Sundays.

Newbies and veterans alike are welcome! If you're planning to attend, please post or PM me so we have a vague headcount. I'll try to get there first as usual - look for a short woman in an orange hat.

Our first HEOTB outing was a little more expensive than our other dim sum ventures - I believe it was $18 per person for a rather immense quantity of food.

Are Saturdays acceptable to the other Fortune attendees? How about 18 March? I'll also toss out a tentative date for a return to New Fortune - 9 April. Or we could go 16 April to relieve those IRS-induced stomach pains...

Are Saturdays acceptable to the other Fortune attendees? How about 18 March?

I can't make it that weekend, but please don't schedule around me - the season's just starting, I'll be pretty busy (wish me luck!). I'll be there when I can.

Thank you, Perri, for being a good ringleader for these outings.

Bumping with a reminder... we're going to meet up at Hollywood East On The Boulevard next Sunday (5 March) at 1pm. For those who haven't been there, driving directions are available on their website.
Looking forward to HEOB (Wheaton) tomorrow. I was there about a year ago for a blow-out banquet chowfest, but haven't yet been for Dim Sum.

Hopefully we'll be able to coordinate calendars the April return visit to Gaithersburg's New Fortune.

Dim Sum at Fortune on Saturday the 18th is a go for me. Should we say 12 noon or 1pm? I will probably be there early to make a quick run through Home Depot.

Fortune serves dim sum from 11am to 3pm, so either time should be good. Does anyone have a strong preference for either noon or 1pm? I have a slight preference for 1pm, but noon is fine as well.

Okay, then unless anyone has a major conflict, we'll go with noon on the 18th.

How was the dim sum at HEOB? I never saw any comments.

Just as at our previous visit, the quality and variety were excellent. As porcupine noted, we went overboard on sweets! We'll schedule another visit after we slake our craving for New Fortune's char sui and crispy-edged turnip cakes.

Fortune serves dim sum from 11am to 3pm, so either time should be good. Does anyone have a strong preference for either noon or 1pm? I have a slight preference for 1pm, but noon is fine as well.

There is a logical compromise between 12 and 1. That would be 12:30.

I can't make it for Saturday, is it too early to start discussion of the next adventure?

All this talk about the latin dim sum at cafe atlantico today, made me want to check it out.

Anyone else think this sounds good? www.cafeatlantico.com

Best,

ed

I can't make it for Saturday, is it too early to start discussion of the next adventure?

All this talk about the latin dim sum at cafe atlantico today, made me want to check it out.

Anyone else think this sounds good?  www.cafeatlantico.com

Best,

ed

It is very good and you should check it out. Maybe even get a group together...