• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't make it for Saturday, is it too early to start discussion of the next adventure?

All this talk about the latin dim sum at cafe atlantico today, made me want to check it out.

Anyone else think this sounds good?  www.cafeatlantico.com

Best,

ed

Ed... I'm open to Cafe Atlantico, but we've also been looking at revisiting New Fortune on Rt 355 just north of Shady Grove Road. Perrik had previously proposed a couple of Sundays in April (I think one was Easter...) Maybe after Saturday (3/18th)'s adventure we can pin a date for New Fortune.

Let's set our meeting time as noon on Saturday. Whoever gets there first can sign us up for a table, using the group name of Rockwell.

Who plans to attend? Chime in now so we know what size table we'll need. Here's the tentative list based on postings:

perrik +1

cucas87

DanielK +2

deangold +1

Scott Johnston

StephenB

That's 8 so far.

And then we must decide when to reconvene at New Fortune...

edit: updated to add the young'uns

Let's set our meeting time as noon on Saturday. Whoever gets there first can sign us up for a table, using the group name of Rockwell.

Who plans to attend? Chime in now so we know what size table we'll need. Here's the tentative list based on postings:

DanielK (is the family joining us as well?)

If I had to guess at this point, I'd say that I'll have the kids but not the wife - I think she has an afternoon appointment that would preclude lunch in NoVa. I'll let you know if it changes...

perrik +1

cucas87

DanielK +2

deangold +1

Scott Johnston

StephenB

That's 8 so far.

And then we must decide when to reconvene at New Fortune...

edit: updated to add the young'uns

<bump>

Dumb question, but we're going to the original Fortune in Falls Church, right, not the outpost in Reston?

Okay, so whoever gets there early-ish, grab us a table for 10 under the name Rockwell. We're coming in from the wastelands of northern Silver Spring and it takes a while to hustle my +1 out the door in the mornings, so we probably won't be first in...

As usual I'll be wearing an orange hat and/or a bright orange hoodie.

we spent an hour getting from 495 to Bailey's crossroads.

Seven Corners, Bailey's Crossroads, what's the difference. I once knew of someone who thought he was supposed to take the BW Parkway, not the GW Parkway. Ouch!

Still, you could have taken the Branch Avenue exit off of 495 and gotten to Bailey's Crossroads in an hour!

[DeanGold's Fortune post split off into a new thread here.]

In a fit of hubris... I left the map at home figuring that I knew exactly where Fortune was and, having read the map quickly, could get us there.  At the risk of alienating all northern Virginian's, we were stuck in Dante's 8th level of hell (reserved for those stupid  enough to drive in Virginia on a Sunday, or during rush hour, or during not rush hour, or, say, any time except 3:25am and 3:27am on certain Tuesdays when there is actually only a small traffic jam at every light) we spent an hour getting from 495 to Bailey's crossroads.  Wound up at Peking Gourmet, which isn't.  Maybe tonight is a two negroni night as well.  Ah well...

Sorry you missed it, Dean, but then again you didn't miss anything worthwhile. Sigh.

The next two outings are a first-time visit to Mark's Duck House and a repeat visit to New Fortune. We have no proposed dates for either one, other than weekends that aren't Easter. That's April 1 & 2, 8 & 9 (April 9 is Palm Sunday), 22 & 23, and 29 & 30.

Sorry you missed it, Dean, but then again you didn't miss anything worthwhile. Sigh.

The next two outings are a first-time visit to Mark's Duck House and a repeat visit to New Fortune. We have no proposed dates for either one, other than weekends that aren't Easter. That's April 1 & 2, 8 & 9 (April 9 is Palm Sunday), 22 & 23, and 29 & 30.

If it's the latter part of April, Grover and I will try to make it as well. We passed on Fortune because we were there before and weren't impressed. We return from Venice on the 11th so anytime afterwards is fine with us.

I vote for Mark's on April Fool's Day. ¡Que diga el sombrero naranjo! Let the Orange Hat decide.

Noon works great!

Just to let everyone know..Mark's has their Dim Sum Menu (with pictures) on line at http://www.marksduckhouse.com/specialmenu.htm

Along with many familar dishes I saw some interesting ones to try

Salt & Pepper Squid Fritters

Stuffed Duck Feet w Minced Pork

Beef Tripe

Beef Tendon in BBQ Sauce

Baby Cuddle Fish

and on weekends Steamed Jumbo Oyster.

So I am in!

I'll throw out a tentative date for New Fortune - 22 April at noon. If Sunday the 23rd is better for the critical mass we can do that instead, but my +1 would like to attend and he works on Sundays.

The dim sum gallery on the MDH website is making me drool all over the keyboard. Please oh please let them have the baby bok choy on the carts that day...

(and maybe their dim sum will actually be warm, what a concept)

Here is list I have for Mark's Duck House  this Saturday (April fools days)at noon

StephenB

DanielK

ScottJohnston

Porcupine +1

Perrik

Goldenticket

Any others? Danielk will you have your kids?

Scott

I can't make it until 12:30. Is that a problem?

Here is the latest list I have for Mark's Duck House DIM SUM this Saturday (April Fools Day) at noon. I will call ahead and reserve a table under ROCKS

Mark's Duck House

(703) 532-2125

6184 Arlington Blvd # A

Falls Church, VA 22044

StephenB (arrives at 12:30)

DanielK +2

ScottJohnston

Porcupine +1

Perrik +1

Goldenticket

9 people

Here is the latest list I have for Mark's Duck House DIM SUM this Saturday (April Fools Day) at noon. I will call ahead and reserve a table under ROCKS

Mark's Duck House

(703) 532-2125

6184 Arlington Blvd # A

Falls Church, VA 22044

StephenB (arrives at 12:30)

DanielK +2

ScottJohnston

Porcupine +1

Perrik +1

Goldenticket

9 people

I stopped by Mark's today for lunch. We definitely have a winner this time. It was all I could do to resist the daily dim sum -- it looked wonderful -- but I had the roasted duck and wonton noodle soup. I told the waiter to hold back the best things until 12:30 on Saturday.

I started a new thread for Mark's Duck House discussion. Mmmm, that was good.

Lucky Three is next on the NoVa list, and it may be the last one on the list unless we missed some possibilities. Considering our experience at the Falls Church Fortune (disappointing - cold dishes, inconsistent quality), it's hard to work up the enthusiasm to try the Reston version.

The Maryland crew is considering trying out Jesse Wong's Hong Kong at Columbia's waterfront. How many people are willing to venture that far north? I live in northern Silver Spring, so Columbia is much closer than Falls Church - so yeah, I'm in.

We haven't set a firm date for Lucky Three, though. Does Saturday, 23 April at noon sound acceptable to everyone?

Meanwhile, we will visit HEOTB on 15 April, which is the Saturday before Easter. (Edit: date corrected) We're going to consider this date firm because of prior commitments on other weekend - don't worry if you can't make it, we'll schedule yet another HEOTB visit soon enough! Meanwhile, I'm thinking early May for another New Fortune feast. We'll figure that out a bit later.

If anyone digs up any worthwhile NoVa dim sum places to try, please post the info!

I'm definitely out for HEOTB round 2 on Sun 4/16 - I'll be flying home from a week in Colorado.

I'm definitely willing to drive to Columbia for Jesse Wong's. I've eaten several non-dim sum dinners there, and have had fabulous, fabulous meals.

For Lucky 3, are you proposing Saturday the 22nd or Sunday the 23rd? I can't do the 22nd, but I could do the 23rd at 12:30.

Oops, wrong calendar! I meant Saturday the 22nd. <hurriedly edits the previous post for THIS year's dates>

We could do the 23rd, though, if this is the will of the critical mass. My +1 can only attend on Saturdays, but Sundays are generally fine for me.

I'll throw out a tentative date for New Fortune - 22 April at noon. If Sunday the 23rd is better for the critical mass we can do that instead, but my +1 would like to attend and he works on Sundays.

Perri... I'm having trouble following the dates/places.

It looks like we're proposing:

HEOTB - Saturday 15 April (in Wheaton)

Lucky Three - Saturday 22 April (in Reston)

Jesse Wong's Hong Kong - TBD? (Columbia Waterfront)

New Fortune - TBD??? (North Rockville/Gaithersburg)

Sorry it's such a muddle, but you've got it right:

Hollywood East On The Boulevard: 15 April

Lucky Three: 22 or 23 April (it's actually in Falls Church, on Rt 7)

Jesse Wong's Hong Kong: no date proposed

New Fortune: no date proposed

These will be first-time visits to Lucky Three and Jesse Wong's, and repeat visits for HEOTB and NF.

The board suddenly won't let me edit my posts. Odd. Anyway, we're aware of the limitations of the HEOTB date, but it's one of the few weekends porcupine will have free in the near future. We will schedule another visit there soon at a more generally convenient date in late May or June, after the New Fortune visit.

Daniel, what's a good date for you for Jesse Wong's?

I'm peering at the calendar, and realizing that I'm basically shot for most of April, between vacation and Little League games. I'm open the weekend of 4/29-30, but I can't make anything the weekends of 4/15-16 or 4/22-23.

So go do the HEOTB revisit, and check out Lucky 3, and then we'll schedule the others.

Would the NoVa crowd prefer to sample Lucky Three on the 22nd, 23rd, 29th, or 30th? My own preference is the 29th, with either Sunday also good. We've got afternoon Tai Shan viewing tickets plus an evening concert on the 21st, so I'd fall asleep on top of the sui mei if we do this on the 22nd.

The 15 April excursion to HEOTB is now categorized as an on-a-whim announcement... Porcupine and I will be there at noon with our +1s, and we welcome anyone who wishes to join us for dim sum. No worries, we will do an "official" Dim Sundays gathering there very soon. I'm thinking late May, with a New Fortune visit in early May. (Daniel, how does your May calendar look?)

I still haven't dug up any other NoVa restaurants that offer dim sum, so Lucky Three is the last "new" contestant. I would like to give the Falls Church Fortune another try at some point, to see if we just hit it on an off day. No hurry, though. Navigating the Seven Corners area sucks ventworm nuts...

We will probably show up at HEOTB. SUndays look bad right now so as for NOVA we would rather have a Saturday, but with our driving skills in VA (notice how I share blame with Kay on this one) I would not let our vote carry more weight than a ventowrm nut. How is it I can get around in Siena and not be able to find diddly in NOVA? I have 5 locations locked in in NOVA: China Gourmet, Dulles, The Signature Theater, The WFM in Arlington and I can find little River Trunpike and quite a number of Korean joints.