• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, all of the "regulars" have signed back in for the 30th - let's get some new blood!

hillvalley, gastro888, ScotteeM, johnb - you guys have posted in this thread - let's see a little action!

Lurkers, reveal thyselves!

I'd love for them to have to give us TWO of those 12-tops in the back...

Sorry guys, I can't make the dim sum days due to practice commitments. i went to China Garden this past weekend and found it to be pleasantly surprising. It wasn't great but it was good.

Then again, I had my palate spoiled up in Flushing, Queens, NY 2 weeks ago. Oh MAN, are we deprived down here. <sobs>

Okay, bumping this as a reminder!

MontCoDimSum Comparo #3

Date: October 30, 2005

Time: 1:00 pm

Location: New Fortune, 16515 S. Frederick Ave. in Gaithersburg MD

Note 1: Daylight Saving Time ends this weekend. Make sure to reset your clocks, or else you'll be an hour early!

Note 2: New Fortune is located in the Walnut Hill Shopping Center, on Rt 355 just north of I-370. Look for the Food Lion. We can meet outside the restaurant around the planters, unless it's freakin' cold, in which case we can mill around inside.

Note 3: As Daniel said earlier, we eagerly welcome lurkers and shy folks! If you don't want to talk, no worries, just eat and smile. We have enough talkers in our group that there's never a deadly silence. :lol:

I have been pretty sick the past few days (I actually took three days off from the restaurant.... well I went in for dinner one of the nights because we had our best friends in from LA). If Kay and I feel up to it we will show up. Won't know till Sunday morning I fear.

I have been pretty sick the past few days (I actually took three days off from the restaurant.... well I went in for dinner one of the nights because we had our best friends in from LA). If Kay and I feel up to it we will show up.

Did we forget to mention the mystical curative powers of New Fortune's shrimp cheong fun?

Just a quick "thank you!" to all those who have touted New Fortune's dim sum. Based on all that I've read here, I stopped yesterday on a whim and ordered some dim sum carry-out. I'm sure it's best right off the cart, but I didn't have time and had to eat at the office. It was terrific! Without the menu in front of me, I can't tell you what I had, other that the outstanding spring rolls, adjudged by one of my colleagues to be "the best I've ever tasted". And the prices were more than fair.

This was undoubtedly the beginning of a long and happy relationship. :lol:

Did we forget to mention the mystical curative powers of New Fortune's shrimp cheong fun?

If you can figure out how I can eat them while fast asleep...

Lay the cheong fun on your forehead. Osmosis will take care of the rest.

This was undoubtedly the beginning of a long and happy relationship.

Would you like to continue that long and happy relationship on Sunday at 1pm?

The New Fortune outing was a success, thanks to all who showed up!

The next MontCoDimSum Comparo will be at Oriental East in Silver Spring. The website has directions if you need them. This is an exceptionally Metro-friendly location, just a tiny stroll from the Silver Spring station.

Because of various scheduling conflicts, we're going to delay the Oriental East gathering until 4 December. OE will have to work hard to match the quality we've seen (well, eaten) at HEOTB and NF...

It's that time again! By now you should be so sick of turkey and cranberries that you're eager for some char sui and cheong fun. At least I am. Given the choice, I would have had that instead of turkey in the first place...

Is Sunday 4 December still good for everyone?

It's that time again! By now you should be so sick of turkey and cranberries that you're eager for some char sui and cheong fun. At least I am. Given the choice, I would have had that instead of turkey in the first place...

Is Sunday 4 December still good for everyone?

Works for me. Kids are with me, and possibly the wife, if she gets off work in time.

We can be there by 12:30.

Hey, I may not be slender, but I resent being called "critical mass"! :lol:

Lots of busy Sundays ahead for everyone, I assume, so shall we check our January calendars for the Silver Fountain outing? January 1 is probably a lousy idea unless tripe is a good hangover remedy. How does January 8 sound? And has anyone here actually been to Silver Fountain for dim sum, or is this a new experience for all of us?

SF is the final official stop in the MontCo comparo, but I'd like to propose a showdown between our top two choices. Okay, that's just an excuse. I want to go back to HEOTB with a hungry and adventurous crowd, and to see if NF has gotten a better shipment of shrimp in...

Lots of busy Sundays ahead for everyone, I assume, so shall we check our January calendars for the Silver Fountain outing? January 1 is probably a lousy idea unless tripe is a good hangover remedy. How does January 8 sound? And has anyone here actually been to Silver Fountain for dim sum, or is this a new experience for all of us?

Jan 8 looks good for me - and I've never been to SF.

SF is the final official stop in the MontCo comparo, but I'd like to propose a showdown between our top two choices. Okay, that's just an excuse. I want to go back to HEOTB with a hungry and adventurous crowd, and to see if NF has gotten a better shipment of shrimp in...

Why don't we wait until the NoVa comparison is done, and then do a best 2 MoCo vs best 2 NoVa?

Jan 8 looks good for me - and I've never been to SF.

Why don't we wait until the NoVa comparison is done, and then do a best 2 MoCo vs best 2 NoVa?

Are the NoVa people actually planning to do a comparo? It was suggested in the general dim sum thread, way back when we decided to do the MontCo one, but I haven't seen any followup. I only cross the river for TemptAsian, so someone else will have to do the nagging.

I'm curious to hear how Hollywood East compares to Oriental East.  I think Oriental East is great - better than the best of Boston/SF/NYC, close to the level of the best of Toronto - so I've never felt the need to stray.

I'll give a more detailed description in the Oriental East topic later, but I think OE falls a bit short of both New Fortune and Hollywood East. Not by a lot, but I definitely prefer NF and HE.

A peek at my schedule, and a search through the archives, indicates that this coming Sunday was our target date for the last meeting of the Montgomery County Dim Sundays, at Silver Fountain in Aspen Hill.

Do we have critical mass for this week?

A peek at my schedule, and a search through the archives, indicates that this coming Sunday was our target date for the last meeting of the Montgomery County Dim Sundays, at Silver Fountain in Aspen Hill.

Do we have critical mass for this week?

I'm in.

But does it really have to be the last meeting? <whimper whimper whine> I want to go back to HEOTB...

This Sunday, 1pm, at Silver Fountain in Aspen Hill.

13533 Connecticut Ave., just south of Aspen Hill Rd., 4-5 miles north of the Beltway.

Note: Googling the restaurant comes up with a street address of 13665, but they have moved in the past year. 13533 should be the current street number, unless the person I called at the restaurant quoted me the old address...

Feel free to post here or PM if you want to join, or just show up (and hope we have extra seats available - we're now 8 and counting!)

Okay folks, we have concluded the Montgomery County Dim Sum Comparo. Just because the official comparison is done doesn't mean we're going to stop hitting the MontCo places. It's fair to say that we will make plans to gather at New Fortune and Hollywood East On The Boulevard in the near future. So if you've missed out on the comparo, please join us on future outings!

My ranking:

#1: Hollywood East On The Boulevard

#2: New Fortune

#3: Silver Fountain

#4: Good Fortune

The top two are very close. Silver Fountain is solid but unremarkable. Good Fortune... well, let's just forget about Good Fortune. I missed the Oriental East gathering.

Next up: the Northern Virginia Dim Sum Comparo. Some of us on this side of the river are eager to see what the NoVa places have to offer. Any Virginians interested in joining us? I have a list of NoVa places for consideration, gleaned from dim sum threads elsewhere. If you know of other candidates, or if any of these restaurants are unsuitable, please post an update...

• China Garden
    1100 Wilson Boulevard
    Rosslyn, VA 22209
    703-525-5317
http://www.chinagardenva.com
Fortune Chinese Seafood Restaurant
6249 Arlington Blvd.
Falls Church, VA 22041
703-538-3333
http://www.fortunebanquet.com
Fortune (same ownership)
1428 Reston Pkwy.
Reston, VA 20194
703-318-8898
http://www.fortunebanquet.com
Lucky Three
5900 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church, VA 22041
703-998-8888
Mark's Duck House
6184-A Arlington Blvd.
Falls Church, VA 22044
703-532-2125

Edited by perrik

My ranking:

1a. New Fortune - Fabulous dim sum in a giant dining hall. Pluses - staggering variety of items, most of which are perfectly prepared. Minuses - the occasional misfire (why can't they make a decent potsticker), and sloppy service when they are busy. Sit near the kitchen for best experience.

1b. Hollywood East on the Boulevard - More fabulous dim sum in a smaller setting. Pluses - ordinary items, like siu mei, are transcendant. Minuses - half the variety of New Fortune, parking is a hassle, not as close to my house. :)

2a. Silver Fountain - I can't believe I'd never heard of this place. Well prepared basics - nothing fabulous, but no misses. Pluses - pleasant service, and everyone pushing carts spoke English, so you could get descriptions of things you were unfamiliar with. Minuses - no variety beyond the basics, no BBQ.

2b. Oriental East - same descriptors as Silver Fountain (except for the English part).

99. Good Fortune - a shadow of it's former self. Avoid at all costs.

Summary - If you live in central/upper Mont Co, New Fortune should be your regular haunt. If you're more to the east side of the county, you should be familiar with Hollywood East on the Boulevard. If you're really near Silver Fountain or Oriental East, and don't want to drive to New Fortune or Hollywood East, it's a worthwhile diversion, but not a destination.

I'm definitely up for hitting the NoVa spots to see if I can recommend to my DC/VA friends to cross the border for New Fortune and Hollywood East.

Stop the presses - there might be one more stop in Maryland before we get out our passports and cross the river.

Jesse Wong is a one-man empire for Asian food in Howard County. I've been to a number of his outposts, most recently Jesse Wong's Hong Kong, on the waterfront in downtown Columbia. I went with a couple of Chinese friends, we ordered authentic stuff (ignoring the menu), and had a very good, if not outstanding, meal.

However, I am hearing now that they have put together a 5-star dim sum program for that location. It's a bit of a hike - probably 35-40 minutes from the 270/495 interchange, but good dim sum is always worth the drive.

So who's up for one more trip?

Stop the presses - there might be one more stop in Maryland before we get out our passports and cross the river.

Jesse Wong is a one-man empire for Asian food in Howard County. I've been to a number of his outposts, most recently Jesse Wong's Hong Kong, on the waterfront in downtown Columbia. I went with a couple of Chinese friends, we ordered authentic stuff (ignoring the menu), and had a very good, if not outstanding, meal.

However, I am hearing now that they have put together a 5-star dim sum program for that location. It's a bit of a hike - probably 35-40 minutes from the 270/495 interchange, but good dim sum is always worth the drive.

So who's up for one more trip?

We're fans of Sushi Sono right next door, but have never tried JWHK. Count me in!

Perhaps it's time to consider our NoVa expeditions. Would anyone be interested in a journey to Rosslyn's China Garden on February 19? We can stick with the usual 1pm start time to accomodate those with Sunday morning obligations (they serve dim sum from 11:30 to 3pm).

Edit: Thanks for the tip, rbh. The +1 and I will be in Tysons that morning (thus the choice of dates) and should easily make it to Rosslyn by 1pm to snag a number.

Edited by perrik

Perhaps it's time to consider our NoVa expeditions. Would anyone be interested in a journey to Rosslyn's China Garden on February 19? We can stick with the usual 1pm start time to accomodate those with Sunday morning obligations (they serve dim sum from 11:30 to 3pm).

FYI - unless they've loosened it up there a bit; China Garden has a policy of not seating a group until you're all there. They're extremely busy, and you'll likely need someone there early to get a number.

I'm going to put my name in now for China Garden on 2/19 at 1. My +1 is planning to visit his family out in Denver that week, so probably won't be able to attend.

I worked in Rosslyn, in the building next to the one where China Garden is, for about 2-3 years back in 1979-1981, and lunched often at China Garden, but haven't been there since then, and never for Dim Sum.