Gil Shaham (1971-), Grammy Award-Winning American-Israeli Classical Violinist

Pool Boy

Turning this to my love of Romantic chamber music, Gil Shaham, a wonderful violinist indeed, and his sister Orli Shaham, no slouch at the piano, put out a wonderful CD some years ago called "Dvorak for Two." Dvorak, whose diacritical markings will have to be supplied by the imagination of the reader [or editor: DvoÅ™í¡k], is among the giants of the Late Romantic era, and wrote quite a lot of chamber music, much of it surpassingly beautiful. Here's the first of his 4 "Romantic Pieces," op. 75, played by the Shahams.

Just worked with Gil - Bach concerti 1041 and 1042. Wonderful player, beat cancer and also just recorded the six solo sonatas and partitas. I'd go preorder those right away

He had cancer?! Yikes!

He is such an unassuming yet impish player. I love to watch the guy when he plays. He's quite gifted. I have a friend in the Kansas City Symphony who is sorta buddies with Gil, too. They were on a radio show once and did their best Beavis and Butthead impressions.

On 4/4/2015 at 1:39 PM, Pool Boy said:

When it comes to classical music involving pieces highlighting the Violin, a favorite performer of mine is Gil Shaham. One of the pieces I have listened to many times and seen live with him playing (I think twice) is Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor (#64).

Here are each of the movements--

1. Allegro

2. Andante

3. Allegro molto vivace

A treat.

We saw him do this piece again at Strathmore recently and it was just great.