"Revisiting The Fall of Saigon 40 Years Later" - A Blog Post by Cookbook Author Andrea Nguyen

Tweaked

Tx. I copied the first story and link and gave it to a friend for whom the story is relevant. Hope she likes it. I do and I too enjoy "ghetto" comfort food.  I'm going to try that chicken back recipe. and spice it up!!!!

[is the term "Vietnamese Boat People" considered offensive? I honestly have no idea, but since I've tagged this post with it (as it describes the precise subject of this thread), I want to be sure I'm not offending anyone in my state of ignorance. It has its own Wikipedia entry (click the link), so I figure it's the accepted moniker, but this is one area I don't want to make a mistake in (could someone send me a Private Message rather than cluttering the thread?) This topic is near and dear to me, as I had my own personal experience with a refugee who suddenly showed up in our school one day, not knowing a soul, and unable to speak English - to this day, I wonder how he is, and lament not having reached out to him more than I did, but I just didn't know or understand.]

@Don:  I don't have the faintest idea if that term is offensive or not, but I'm sure you could research it.  Meanwhile I would think a term incorporating "immigration/ Vietnamese,/ US" would be more general.  Specifically her family didn't evacuate by boat, and she references they were among the lucky ones, in do doing, in that initial piece.

Meanwhile thanks for the reference Tweaked.  The first story you referenced was quite interesting, and I've read some other pieces.  Here is a great piece on a fusion dish  Corned Beef and Cabbage Banh Mi    That is wonderfully inventive!!!!!!!!

Andrea Nguyen is great.  Her cookbooks are fabulous (her cookbook on tofu is a masterpiece).  I've been reading her blog for the past several years, great mix of personal stories and recipes.  And she is very active with her readers, always answering questions in the comment section.  

• Like 1

@Tweaked.  Wonderful series of articles.  All very readable folk history that personalizes an event and period of time that was very large history for Vietnam and the United States.  They are wonderful articles.  I've also started working my way through the authors blog.  Its enjoyably readable and informative.

Thanks.