The Washington Capitals (1974-), Eastern Conference, Metropolitan Division - Moved from Capital Centre in Landover to Capitol One Arena in Chinatown, 1997 - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2017-2018

Pool Boy

1 hour ago, TedE said:

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I was only able to catch the last half of the 2nd and the full 3rd period, but they got caught out finally on a lot of sloppy passing.  Sucks, tho, even so.

1 hour ago, weezy said:

I was only able to catch the last half of the 2nd and the full 3rd period, but they got caught out finally on a lot of sloppy passing.  Sucks, tho, even so.

Yeah, I kinda didn't think we'd get through this day without some comments about the disastrous 3rd (as opposed to the glorious 9th - name the movie). 

Great game yesterday!  Only gave me about 5 minutes of fear.  Nice to see Vrana get a goal, he's been working hard with the little ice time he has, but was super impressed with the good work of Chandler Stephenson -- fast, hard on the puck, good hockey IQ.  And wonderful to see Holtbeast back in good form.

Tom Wilson suspended for 3 games for what has been deemed an illegal high hit on a Pens player.  I wonder if Coach Trotz will move Smith-Pelley up to the line to fill the spot.    He seems like the next best match to Wilson in terms of size, speed, and hard checking play to break down the Pens' lines.

Holtbeast saved the bacon last night, but still an outstanding showing (except for that frighteningly bad 2nd period) for the Caps, considering they're without Burakovsky, Wilson and lost Backstrom in the 3rd, while playing against a basically full complement of Pens.  One more for the conference, but scary to think that we may have lost Carlson (with his ice time and points) and Backstrom last night.  Still waiting word on their evaulations; Carlson undergoing concussion review protocols and Backstrom went out last night with an upper body injury.

What a smart, smart game they played!  Penned the Pens in the neutral zone and ruined their rush, found the holes in the goalie's game, stayed patient and ground it out.  Love these guys!  So much heart and smarts.  And Tampa's style of play is similar to the Pens', so a good lesson in how to shut down the next team.  Oh but this glorious win!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weezy said:

What a smart, smart game they played!  Penned the Pens in the neutral zone and ruined their rush, found the holes in the goalie's game, stayed patient and ground it out.  Love these guys!  So much heart and smarts.  And Tampa's style of play is similar to the Pens', so a good lesson in how to shut down the next team.  Oh but this glorious win!

Thanks for the analysis.  I was watching in bits and pieces.  I don't watch the Caps enough to get the strategies and understand the flow of play or changes.  In retrospect with your comments I can see an element of that. 

Good victory.  Break the curse.

• Like 1

Another smart game by the Caps, and I think they really surprised the Bolts. Shots on goal 32-21 in favor of the Caps, and in the 2nd period TB had so few shots that Holtby could have brought a book to keep himself entertained. I know TB was frustrated by the strong defensive play of the whole team and their ability to move the goalie out of position, so much so that Bolts pulled him in favor of their back-up for the 3rd period.  Burakovsky is back from his injury and his speed still dazzles, but he's a young player and still makes some stupid plays that lead to turnovers, so he needs to get better aligned mentally with this new way of playing D by the forwards or he could be a bigger liability than his speed is an asset.  

Loving this sub-headline on WaPo this morning:

Another masterful showing by the Caps, sticking to the plan and not losing their cool (well, except that one Kempny penalty that was, thankfully, killed), and scoring all over the lines.  Cap Center is going to be deafening tomorrow night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weezy said:

Loving this sub-headline on WaPo this morning:

Another masterful showing by the Caps, sticking to the plan and not losing their cool (well, except that one Kempny penalty that was, thankfully, killed), and scoring all over the lines.  Cap Center is going to be deafening tomorrow night.

Bully for loyal Caps fans.   Bully, bully, bully for the Caps.   Good luck.  Keep it up.

Fast break.  Two on one. Get the dee to commit. Great pass.  Tough angle. Ooooh nice shot.  A talented scorer seeing the hole

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23497350

• Like 1

From Tom Jones' column in the Tampa Bay Times:

"We've got to play with some urgency, and our desperation level has got to go up,'' defenseman Ryan McDonagh said. "We've got to be way better."

But that might not be the answer. Unfortunately, for Tampa Bay, there might not be an answer. Because the problem isn't that Tampa Bay is playing lousy, but that Washington is playing really well.

And that's the part that is disturbing if you wear a Lightning bolt on your jersey. The Lightning actually played better in Game 2 than it did in Game 1. It played with more energy. The bounces that didn't go Tampa Bay's way in Game 1 actually went its way in Game 2.

And it didn't make a bit of difference. In fact, the result was worse. It got so bad that fans started filing out of Amalie Arena midway through the third period. Hope they got a good last look because it just might be the last time they see their team in person until next season.

Thomas Boswell sums up my feelings nicely in his chat today:

"Yes, the Caps have had a two-game-lead in 10 playoff series __'85, '87, '92, '95, '96, '03, '09, '10, '13, '15__ yet ended up losing those series. That includes years when they had 2-0 leads as well as the more famous 3-1 leads.

But I don't think that this year, or this series, is going to fit into that "narrative" of Caps history. As I've been saying here, and in columns, for the last couple of years, it's inevitable that we construct narratives to explain our own experience and the experience of teams that we follow. Sometimes, that's an insightful, constructive exercise. Sometimes it's complete bunk.

But the story can change. And I think it's changing now for the Caps.

In a short series, and seven games is short in the NHL and MLB, never forget that you are NOT watching a total examination of two teams which is designed to determine which team is really, truly, fairly BETTER.

You are watching an  entertainment event where everyone involved in creating the "product" has figured out how to enhance drama, introduce luck, ramp up the emotions of both teams, then smash those emotions with fluke plays, bad calls and brilliant plays by the opposition."

---

Also, if you go to the chat, do a find on "Don't get cocky" - he launches into a diatribe about the fluke that is playoff hockey.

All of these series are long. 7 games happens a lot. Look at the Caps dropping 2 to Columbus to start, at home, and then went on to win it anyway. Tampa Bay could do the same to the Caps. It is playoff hockey and really anything can happen.

But man, I like how the Caps have played these first two games in this series.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:53 PM, Pool Boy said:

All of these series are long. 7 games happens a lot. Look at the Caps dropping 2 to Columbus to start, at home, and then went on to win it anyway. Tampa Bay could do the same to the Caps. It is playoff hockey and really anything can happen.

But man, I like how the Caps have played these first two games in this series.

I wish they had played that way last night.  Tampa has figured a couple of things out and is now chipping shots over our D into the offensive zone and beating us on the boards to keep it in.  We also started taking stupid penalties last night and not doing a good job of checking the puck/sticks in lanes.  They also looked like they were on dead legs last night, weren't chasing down pucks as before.   Hoping Backstrom is ready to come back into the lineup.  That may be a way to light a new spark to keep them going. 

Also worried that Kempny may cost us a lot by penalties/suspensions.  He's making more and more borderline or full-out dirty hits and the League is noticing.  Doing without forward Wilson during his suspension was tough, but replaceable.  Kempny on defense is not as replaceable.  We need him on the ice.  Player Safety has already levied a stiff fine on him in this series.  Next will come a suspension.

I'm still recovering from last nights loss.  Caps were flat and Tampa took it to them.  Holtby played well but penalty kill not so much.  Game 4 is critical know for CAPS.

My arm is tired for hoisting that 32oz mug of beer at Chef Geoffs last night. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, weezy said:

<sigh>

50 minutes of really, really good hockey by the Caps thwarted by an excellent goaltender, 10 minutes of power plays by the other team that got them the win.  

I appreciate your analyses of the games and styles of play.  Keep it up.  thanks

• Like 1

Came out in the first period flatter than a pancake, no jump in their step at all.  Bolts sniped two goals very early in the 1st & 2nd by getting behind our D on fast legs and reading Holtby well.  Caps improved steadily through the game and rang several off the cage and had some good traffic in front of the crease a few times but slow to shoot, lack of sustained penetration behind the blue line, a strong opposing goalie and no puck luck to speak of.  Our guys look really beat up and tired.  

We need Holtby to steal one tonight.  I can't stand this either way.  Saturday night was spent at true dive in Annapolis, The Ebbtide.  Place was rocking with lots of Caps fans screaming and shouting.

3 hours ago, MarkS said:

We need Holtby to steal one tonight.  I can't stand this either way.  Saturday night was spent at true dive in Annapolis, The Ebbtide.  Place was rocking with lots of Caps fans screaming and shouting.

From your lips to the hockey gods' ears.

I think that was the best game the Caps have played all season.  Domination of play through checking the puck and checking the bodies -- Ovi was a wrecking machine -- everyone played all 200 feet, quicker shooting, good at getting the puck in deep behind the net and creating plays there, not taking stupid penalties.  They just need to keep it up for one more game and then they can get a short rest.

---

These stats from NHL news coverage:

Ovechkin finished with four hits. Orpik and forward Tom Wilson led the Capitals with six hits apiece. Smith-Pelly had five. Fifteen of the 18 Capitals skaters blocked at least one shot.

"Capitals Get Physical in Game 6 against Lightning To Stay Alive" by Tom Gulitti on nhl.com

To all long-suffering Caps fans: I was just reading through the Clemson football thread, and when I came upon this post, I immediately thought of what you're going through right now. (I'd say, "what *we're* going through," but I'm admittedly something of a fair-weather fan, so I don't really deserve to be included). 

BUT, I know exactly how we're you're feeling right now. 

Great game.  Caps had momentum, puck luck and sheer determination.  Tampa played well and had their shots but Holtby was a beast.

BJs Brewhouse in Tysons is a good place to watch the game.  Lots of TV screens as well as screaming fans. 

Oh, my beautiful, bloody, beat-up boys!!!   Thrilled for them!!!  Not the domination seen in Game 6, but a little puck luck on our side and excellent job by the D of boxing out their men in front of the crease to keep them from getting to rebounded blocked shots, that was key, b/c Holtby had a lot of bounces last night.  Stupid fighting major by Wilson, losing a top 3 F matched to a 3rd line D for 5 minutes -- especially when it called play dead when we had a good scoring rush underway -- but it didn't hurt the team.  Also very very lucky that Orpik wasn't concussed with that boarding hit that wasn't called a penalty.   Thank goodness they get a chance to rest and heal until Monday; they're going to need every bit of it!

4 hours ago, weezy said:

Oh, my beautiful, bloody, beat-up boys!!!   Thrilled for them!!!  Not the domination seen in Game 6, but a little puck luck on our side and excellent job by the D of boxing out their men in front of the crease to keep them from getting to rebounded blocked shots, that was key, b/c Holtby had a lot of bounces last night.  Stupid fighting major by Wilson, losing a top 3 F matched to a 3rd line D for 5 minutes -- especially when it called play dead when we had a good scoring rush underway -- but it didn't hurt the team.  Also very very lucky that Orpik wasn't concussed with that boarding hit that wasn't called a penalty.   Thank goodness they get a chance to rest and heal until Monday; they're going to need every bit of it!

Yes!!!!   Congrats Caps on getting to the finals.  Whipping that so called curse and playing so tough especially in the last two games!!!

Two great clutch games by the goalie, Holtby!!!   Gotta love hot goalies!!!!

...and thanks to you @weezy for defining the play.   I don’t watch enough hockey to catch what you see.  Much appreciated

44 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Yes!!!!   Congrats Caps on getting to the finals.  Whipping that so called curse and playing so tough especially in the last two games!!!

Two great clutch games by the goalie, Holtby!!!   Gotta love hot goalies!!!!

...and thanks to you @weezy for defining the play.   I don’t watch enough hockey to catch what you see.  Much appreciated

You're welcome.   I've learned a lot from paying attention to Alan May's analyses of games.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:08 PM, Xochitl10 said:

My sibling and I will be at Game One! He'll be on the wrong side -- he lives in Vegas, so you know where his loyalties lie -- but I will be rocking the red somewhere in the nosebleeds of T-Mobile Arena. Go Caps!

Have a fabulous time!  I'm a little jealous, but I'm happy for you!

• Like 1

Vegas doesn't play like other teams.  They have an unusual backcheck, and coupled with their speed, the Caps are going to have to adjust.  There were stretches in the game where we were finding good ways to frustrate their rush and we were able to open up holes on Fleury.  Two stupid penalties -- Burakovsky early that led to a PPG, and Wilson with a late hit, but with a matching minor by the Knights -- cost us.  Also,  I know refs let a lot of things slide in the playoffs, but Carlson was cross-checked into Holtby in the crease and no call was made, and that led to a Vegas goal.   

They'll be better next game now that they've had a chance to live what they've seen in the coaching tapes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weezy said:

Vegas doesn't play like other teams.  They have an unusual backcheck, and coupled with their speed, the Caps are going to have to adjust.  There were stretches in the game where we were finding good ways to frustrate their rush and we were able to open up holes on Fleury.  Two stupid penalties -- Burakovsky early that led to a PPG, and Wilson with a late hit, but with a matching minor by the Knights -- cost us.  Also,  I know refs let a lot of things slide in the playoffs, but Carlson was cross-checked into Holtby in the crease and no call was made, and that led to a Vegas goal.   

They'll be better next game now that they've had a chance to live what they've seen in the coaching tapes.

I read somewhere that Vegas has a tremendous front line, and a workman-like back rink - is that true?

(I was flipping between hockey and basketball, not paying full attention to either, before drifting off to sleep - however, I did see one Vegas shot-on-goal which whammed off the top frame of the goal - the Caps are awfully lucky that it wasn't one-inch lower.)

12 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I read somewhere that Vegas has a tremendous front line, and a workman-like back rink - is that true?

(I was flipping between hockey and basketball, not paying full attention to either, before drifting off to sleep - however, I did see one Vegas shot-on-goal which whammed off the top frame of the goal - the Caps are awfully lucky that it wasn't one-inch lower.)

That's a pretty good description.  Their defense was able to mostly shut down the Ovechkin-Kuznetzov-Wilson line, and their top 3 are wicked fast.  But the Caps have deeper scoring through the lines, so if we can shut down their first line, then on paper we have an advantage.  But that's paper and this is hockey.

11 minutes ago, weezy said:

That's a pretty good description.  Their defense was able to mostly shut down the Ovechkin-Kuznetzov-Wilson line, and their top 3 are wicked fast.  But the Caps have deeper scoring through the lines, so if we can shut down their first line, then on paper we have an advantage.  But that's paper and this is hockey.

Also, the very first goal of the game (when the Caps goalie was caught leaning right) ... the announcer described the shot as having a lot of room; to me, it looked like the shooter threaded a needle after the puck survived a 30-foot-long obstacle course. Which is correct?

22 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Also, the very first goal of the game (when the Caps goalie was caught leaning right) ... the announcer described the shot as having a lot of room; to me, it looked like the shooter threaded a needle after the puck survived a 30-foot-long obstacle course. Which is correct?

The shooter could see a lot of open net to aim at.  Holtby wasn't blocking that whole side of the net, so in hockey parlance, he had a lot of room.   The obstacle course is pretty typical.  But what looks like an obstacle course to you and me on TV may not be one to a player on the ice.  I went to a game once and my seat was lower down, behind and a little left of the goalie.  It was amazing how I could see holes suddenly open up in a play where a shooter had a clear look to the back of the net.

• Like 1

One of the NBC guys said it best:  The best magic show in Vegas is Braden Holtby. 

Now waiting for word on Kuznetzov and his wrist/arm injury.  Hoping it looks worse than it actually is.  It will be beyond difficult to keep winning without him in the lineup.

This was my favorite reaction GIF last night in my Twitter feed 

• Like 1

Another win and another strong showing by the Caps.  Out-shot, out-hit, out-blocked, out- blocked-out and wiped Vegas out on the face-offs tonight even if it looked chaotic a lot of the time.   Vegas' only goal was completely on Holtby making a foolish play forward instead of sending the puck back around the boards, that got picked off and dunked in the net immediately.   Kuzy's injury on Wednesday night obviously wasn't seriously affecting him.  He scored the second goal and was in the play all night long, no shifts off.  Jay Beagle's hustle created goals for Kuzy and Smith-Pelly.  Fabulous win.

• Like 3

Having been on vacation overseas for the last 2 weeks, it was hard to keep tabs on the Caps (Scotland on the NC500 has pretty spotty wireless coverage, and even when we got good coverage or wifi, it would be at times where we wee asleep).

Still, if either my wife or I woke up and saw something worthy, we'd wake the other one up to celebrate or wince at a loss or a bad call.

This is a pretty exciting time to be a Caps fan for sure. Nothing is certain, as any Caps fan will surely tell you.