Pool Boy

The Washington Capitals (1974-), Eastern Conference, Metropolitan Division - Moved from Capital Centre in Landover to Capitol One Arena in Chinatown, 1997 - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2017-2018

12 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

I would say GMBM is likely going to be in the running for GM of the year after this offseason.  Took a team with a cap that could have been an absolute mess - and instead only the loss the current Stanley cup champions have to deal with is that of a 4th line center (I love Beagle and I’m thrilled he got paid...I’m just glad it wasn’t by us). 

Our cap is in a wildly better place and I think we struck a balance of giving some space to test out some of our up and coming prospects while keeping our foundation in tact.  I am already looking forward to next season.

I do not discount the roster moves the guy made, but to knowingly lose Trotz is perhaps a strategic error. That was my point in the original post you quoted.

I would say GMBM is likely going to be in the running for GM of the year after this offseason.  Took a team with a cap that could have been an absolute mess - and instead only the loss the current Stanley cup champions have to deal with is that of a 4th line center (I love Beagle and I’m thrilled he got paid...I’m just glad it wasn’t by us). 

Our cap is in a wildly better place and I think we struck a balance of giving some space to test out some of our up and coming prospects while keeping our foundation in tact.  I am already looking forward to next season.

I do not discount the roster moves the guy made, but to knowingly lose Trotz is perhaps a strategic error. That was my point in the original post you quoted.

I’m of two minds re: Trotz:

- As a person / culture builder he is tremendous.  

- That said, his roster moves / reluctance to use younger players unless he has the proverbial gun to his head have long been a source of frustration.  

For me, he falls into the Beagle category of - I’m happy that payday sets him and his family up for the rest of their life but I’m also glad it’s not us paying him that much. I will always be thankful to him for this year - but I respect GMBMs ability to separate that from the reality of the situation.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I like Trotz, but I am unsure how much of the Cup win can be attributed directly to his coaching.  I guess we'll find out in the upcoming season.  The fact that the players have been largely silent on the issue after the 3-4 days post-announcement of his leaving indicates to me that they aren't bothered by the fact that he's gone, so they must be very comfortable with Reirden taking over HC duties.

First game of the season tonight, 2018 Championship banner is being hung from the rafters, and Tom Wilson is being hung out to dry by the player safety dept. with a 20 game suspension.  That's a quarter of the regular season.  His previous suspension was 5 games, so a 10-game suspension would have been a standard escalation, so the league is going to make him change his play or put him out of business. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, weezy said:

First game of the season tonight, 2018 Championship banner is being hung from the rafters, and Tom Wilson is being hung out to dry by the player safety dept. with a 20 game suspension.  That's a quarter of the regular season.  His previous suspension was 5 games, so a 10-game suspension would have been a standard escalation, so the league is going to make him change his play or put him out of business. 

Thanks for the reminder.  I caught the cool pregame element and the first period.  Goals right away:  speed, hitting, ultra fast play.   All cool.

hmmm.   Have never watched much hockey.  Watched a fair amount of the World Cup this summer, after not watching much soccer in ages.  Played lots of soccer before that; fairly advanced level of American play for that time.   From an analytical level, much of the basics in soccer team offense is similar to hockey team offense.  Ooooooh.  But hockey played in a small space, super fast on ice, lots of hitting etc.  --its very different.  Neat to be watching now.  

• Like 1

The Wilson saga, for now, is over.  He's back, in great shape, and opening up holes in the opposition's D, scoring, fighting, doing all the things he supposed to do.

And in the meantime, Holtby is out day-to-day with a upper body injury sustained in practice (puck to the neck?), Oshie is out day-to-day with an upper body injury (shoulder? concussion?) from a nasty hit that got the opponent an $8700 fine but no suspension, and Kuznetzov is out upper body day-to-day (concussion? neck?) from an elbow to the head that got a 2-minute penalty and no supplemental discipline at all. 

The good news is that our new back-up goalie, Phoenix Copley, is good and getting better with all these starts.  Game tonight against the Avalanche, where he gets to square off against our former back-up, Philip Grubauer.

Great show of sportsmanship by Ovi  in last night's game, where Price's magnificent stop kept Ovechkin from getting a hat trick  and getting the game winning goal.  Caps went on to win in OT, but this was the highlight of the night.

• Like 1

It's time to learn about and love the Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals.

weezy and lovehockey, I'm appointing you curators of this thread!

Teach us, one player at a time (please).

I am sure that lovehockey can give a better breakdown of the strengths and weaknesses of individual players.   I simply do not have that depth of experience.  

https://novacapsfans.com/      This website has a series of articles focusing on individual players as well as other general Caps news

Also, Russian Machine Never Breaks https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/ has a lot of good articles but I don't know if they have a player-by-player series of posts.

Trade deadline is Monday the 25th, and the Caps put Devante Smith-Pelly on waivers to free up cap space.  No one claimed him (he's not had a good year) and so we keep him in the org and move him down to Hershey.  In the meantime, we picked up Hagelin for some draft picks from the LA Kings, where he has not had a good year, but they play a different system and he doesn't seem to have found his groove there.  He's a speedy player, good experience, and should be a good fit for the 3rd or 4th line, plus has 2 Stanley Cups from his tenure with the Penguins.  Looks like a good trade on paper at least.  

My guess is that Burakovsky is still on the trading block as well.  He's got talent but can't seem to reach break-out velocity with this team.  Rumors are swirling but nothing has solidified yet.

• Thanks 1

Going into the final quarter of the season and all the teams are either gearing up for a big push for the playoffs or know they are out of contention and have traded away all their decent veterans for draft picks and rebuilding to the future.  The Caps are looking good with their trades for Hagelin, who is slotting into our system very quickly, and Jensen, already signed to a 4-year contract, who is a speedy D-man with great hockey IQ, who will take a lot of the load off our top 3 defensemen so they aren't racking up 20+ minutes a night. 

Now that AHL players can be moved up & back without thought to waivers and cap space, I expect that defenseman Siegenthaler will return to the Caps come playoff time, even though he will likely be a healthy scratch.  Smith -Pelly may also return, but the acquisition of Hagelin makes it less likely, since DSP's play was only so-so all season and he doesn't have the speed of Hagelin.

Coming up tonight is a game with the other top of the division team, the NY Islanders, headed by Coach Trotz.  A young team doing well this season that hasn't had to face the crucible of playoff hockey.  It should be an interesting game.  Coming up this month, we're seeing a lot of Tampa Bay, who is pretty much a lock on the President's Trophy, way ahead in points for the season, so these games will also be giving us a preview for postseason action.

• Like 1

Weezy

Great analysis.  Hockey and winning the Stanley Cup is a marathon, not a sprint.  Evening up players minutes may seem trivial but harder to execute.  It all changes in the playoffs as teams tighten down and goals are much harder to come by.  Caps made 2 good trades with no apparent downside.  Both trades gave us speed.

• Like 1

And not just speed, but smarts.  And with Hagelin, someone who is always troublesome for the opposition to cover.   Glad he's on our team now!  He was always such a pest with Pittsburgh.

Bizarre end to the Caps v Islanders game - shootout - you do not see this very often.

Alex Ovechkin's shootout attempt was interrupted when Alexandar Georgiev threw his stick to stop the puck, but the attempt ultimately counted as a goal to secure a 3-2 shootout win over the Rangers Sunday.

• Like 1

Bizarre, indeed!  Something must be going on in NY because on Friday we get an empty net goal courtesy of their forward dumping the puck into his own net , and today the goalie pulls a move that  pee-wee hockey players on up are taught is an automatic goal against.  

It does tell me, though, that Ovechkin is totally in that goalie's head, which is a bit surprising, because Georgikiov stopped/blocked/deflected everything that Ovi had fired at him during the game....although he had to be hurting from them.   

And as a testament to how tough hockey players are, Shattenkirk took a puck in the face and had to get 6 stitches (3 inside his mouth, 3 in his lip) and only missed 4 minutes of playing time, and Kempny got a broken nose and only missed 3-4 shifts.

• Like 1