The Renwick Gallery (1874-) - America's Oldest Art Museum Reopen as of Nov 13, 2015 with a $30 Million Renovation

Tweaked

It was announced yesterday that the Renwick Gallery will reopen after an extensive $30 million renovation on November 13, 2015.

This is a lovely little art museum, part of the Smithsonian's American Art Museum, housing the craft and decorative arts collection.  I didn't realize that the Renwick was the first American building specifically designed and built to showcase art - originally to display the art collection of William Corcoran.  Despite its proximity to the White House, the Renwick is rarely crowded.  

The reopening exhibition will be Wonder, featuring nine contemporary artists who are creating site specific installations.

post-2-0-00751500-1430928384_thumb.png

The reopening exhibit Wonder is indeed wonderful.  A collection of commissioned installations which each encompass their own room.  Large powerful pieces that people can walk around and contemplate.  The Renwick wanted a big visual show to celebrate their grand reopening and they have succeeded.  The museum was packed on a late Sunday afternoon.

post-44-0-90250000-1450731464_thumb.jpeg

Tara Donovan, Untitled

post-44-0-80262500-1450731574_thumb.jpg

Gabriel Dawe, Plexus A1

post-44-0-34589500-1450731727_thumb.jpg

Jennifer Angus, In the Midnight Garden

• Like 1

attachicon.gifTateDR.jpeg

Tara Donovan, Untitled

They should have called this one "Slot Canyon Flood" for maximum angst.

It's encouraging to learn that I have a lot of distinguished company in my dislike of the new exterior signage at the Renwick.

Oh my goodness, I don't like this either. It might grow on me, but I don't think it will because it comes across to me as very kitschy and not tasteful or timeless in any way - I'm all for modernizing DC's neoclassical monoliths, but not like this (as examples that I *do* like, take the Reagan Building, or the addition they put onto the John Wilson Building right next to it).

I had forgotten that the Renwick was part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. I don't suppose there's much chance of finding many Ellsworth Kellys inside, is there?

Made an expedition here today to see "New Glass Now." I love glass art. The Corning Museum was a frequent family destination when I was a child, as my grandparents lived in Elmira, very close to Corning. A childhood friend worked for Corning for several years when we were in our 20s, and I was jealous. Not a place I wanted to live, but they made the coolest things!

Anyhow, the exhibit only runs to early March, so run, do not walk, to see this if you like glass. The pieces are lovely and it is very well curated.

(In general, I really enjoy the Renwick. I love useable art, and they do have the best things.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1