Paul McCartney (1942-), Rock Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Businessman, Member of The Beatles and Wings

The Hersch

For much of his time with the Beatles, Paul McCartney didn't seem much interested in rock-n-roll, devoting himself instead to the sort of Tin-Pan-Alley stuff that remains his rather dismal legacy, like "When I'm 64". But when he sang rock-n-roll, he was one of the greatest rock-n-roll singers of all time, as here in "I'm Down" (1965):

Or here in "She's a Woman" (1964):

For much of his time with the Beatles, Paul McCartney didn't seem much interested in rock-n-roll, devoting himself instead to the sort of Tin-Pan-Alley stuff that remains his rather dismal legacy, like "When I'm 64". But when he sang rock-n-roll, he was one of the greatest rock-n-roll singers of all time, as here in "I'm Down" (1965):

Or here in "She's a Woman" (1964):

I love your posts because you dig a level deeper than the obvious - I learn something each time I read them.

For much of his time with the Beatles, Paul McCartney didn't seem much interested in rock-n-roll, devoting himself instead to the sort of Tin-Pan-Alley stuff that remains his rather dismal legacy, like "When I'm 64". But when he sang rock-n-roll, he was one of the greatest rock-n-roll singers of all time

Very well put, although there were way too few good r&r numbers to offset the "dismal legacy" crap. And, unfortunately, that's the stuff that just keeps comin'.

Very well put, although there were way too few good r&r numbers to offset the "dismal legacy" crap. And, unfortunately, that's the stuff that just keeps comin'.

You know, I've been annoyed with Paul McCartney for most of my life. Now that I think about it, I should probably revise my comment on Rod Stewart: Paul McCartney might well have squandered a greater talent.

Here's one of his last great vocals: Oh Darling -- but even here, he gives the impression that he's mocking something, that he doesn't really mean the rock-n-roll he's performing, that he's winking at us, as if to say he'd much rather get back to singing "Your Mother Should Know". Which annoys me, even as I love listening to this recording. Compare and contrast, though, with John's very different sort of ironic detachment in his brilliant "Happiness Is a Warm Gun".

You know, I've been annoyed with Paul McCartney for most of my life. Now that I think about it, I should probably revise my comment on Rod Stewart: Paul McCartney might well have squandered a greater talent.

Here's one of his last great vocals: Oh Darling -- but even here, he gives the impression that he's mocking something, that he doesn't really mean the rock-n-roll he's performing, that he's winking at us, as if to say he'd much rather get back to singing "Your Mother Should Know". Which annoys me, even as I love listening to this recording. Compare and contrast, though, with John's very different sort of ironic detachment in his brilliant "Happiness Is a Warm Gun".

I love "Your Mother Should Know"! I agree he's put out a lot of unspeakably boring pop crap over the last.... geez, 40 years, but I loved him on Let It Be ("Get Back") and some of his early solo stuff like Band On the Run.

Side note: I went to a keg party one night on a beach in The Hamptons with Stella McCartney and her friend Gwyneth Paltrow. Stella drove us there in her old man's black Suburban. Baby you can drive my car...

• Like 1