Mt. Defiance Cidery and Distillery, Middleburg, VA

When in Middleburg, find time to visit Mt. Defiance Cidery and Distillery, on Washington St. Friends opened this business late last summer, offering onsite-brewed ciders and now, absinthe and rum. The ginger cider is a favorite of mine, and my  "(almost) legal and unfortunately allergic to beer" child gives a thumbs up to any of the ciders.

If you cannot make the trip to Middleburg, the ciders are now available at Arrowine in Arlington and some Wegman's (I know it is at the Potomac Mills location.)

http://www.mtdefiance.com/  or look for the facebook page.

Thanks for posting this! Writing something about Mt. Defiance has been on my 'to-do' list for months (since October), and I fully agree with the thumbs-up. The ciders I sampled were very nice, dry and not at all sweet.  I'm going to have to make a trip out soon to check out the rum and absinthe.

I'm very happy to know the ciders are available locally - that's great news!

A buddy of mine is the distiller at Mt. Defiance. I can attest that the rum is very, very good and when we (non-professionals) blind taste-tested his absinthe, we felt it tasted better than several commercial, very well-known bottles. Some of that may be due to freshness, but no matter. Better is better. As for the cider, it's certainly a dry version of the drink.

This just came from the distiller at Mt. Defiance:

Invitation to a Special Absinthe Release Party

In case it has been a long time since you visited Mt. Defiance in Middleburg, let me bring you up to date on the distillery side of our business. After opening the cider tasting room last August, we expanded to a second tasting room for spirits in January. Our spirits product line began with rum and apple brandy, but has since expanded to apple liqueur, almond liqueur, and most recently, absinthe!

Now we are moving beyond the distillery, with availability of our spirits in select fine establishments in Washington, DC. And on that note, we hope you can join us for a release party for our latest batch of absinthe on June 24 at Libertine in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC. The event kicks off at 6:30 pm. You can try our absinthe prepared in the traditional method, using ice-cold water dripped through a sugar cube. Or try it in a Sazerac, or a special absinthe cocktail that Jessie, the Libertine General Manager, will concoct for that evening. Special prices for these drinks and a light food menu will be offered.

To cap off the evening, absinthe expert Brian Robinson from the Wormwood Society will give a talk on the history of absinthe at 8:00 pm. He'll distinguish fact from legend.

So come on out and have some fun! Support local craft distilling and the growing absinthe movement in America.

Mt. Defiance Absinthe Release @ Libertine

June 24, 6:30 "“ 9:00 pm

2435 18th St NW, Washington, DC

www.dclibertine.com

See you there,

Peter Ahlf

Distiller

Mt. Defiance Cidery & Distillery