Rod Stewart (1945-), English Rocker Active Since 1961, With Over 100 Million Records Sold Worldwide

The Hersch

Those familiar with Rod Stewart's later career might be surprised to find his name in this context, but early in his career he was certainly one of the greatest rock singers. Stewart represents to me more wasted potential than just about any other performer I can think of.

Here with the Jeff Beck Group on their 1968 debut album Truth with Bonnie Dobson's "Morning Dew."

Here's the title track from Stewart's second solo album, Gasoline Alley, released in 1970. The writing credit is to Stewart and his long-time collaborator Ronnie Wood, later of the Rolling Stones.

Those familiar with Rod Stewart's later career might be surprised to find his name in this context, but early in his career he was certainly one of the greatest rock singers. Stewart represents to me more wasted potential than just about any other performer I can think of.

I think you could make a case for Rod Stewart having been the most popular singer in the world for a short period of time - I guess it depends on your perspective of "wasted potential." People over 50 know him as being a real rock musician as well as a commercial success (and he could kick a mean soccer ball, too).

For every "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" people mention, I'll counter with 1978-1979 being an "unfortunate time" for rock music in general, and throw in "Let's Dance," "Goodnight Tonight," and "Miss You" for good measure. They're all a bunch of sell-outs and I can't say I blame them - pandering to the masses is the ultimate middle finger to the society that they originally rebelled against. Of course, in the process, they become an integral part of that society, but who's counting?

• Like 1

I think "Truth" is a must have album for anyone interested in the British Blues. Stewart was perfect for that style and that album. As Don mentions, the later stuff sucked-- over-produced glorified elevator music.

I disagree on the merits of "Miss You". It ain't the Stones at their best by any means, but Jagger's swagger carried it. And the rest of "Some GIrls" had some gems too.

"Hey, what's the matter man?
We're gonna come around at twelve
With some Puerto Rican girls that's just dyin' to meet you"

Might need a thread on The World's Greatest Rock-n-Roll band.

I think "Truth" is a must have album for anyone interested in the British Blues. Stewart was perfect for that style and that album. As Don mentions, the later stuff sucked-- over-produced glorified elevator music.

I disagree on the merits of "Miss You". It ain't the Stones at their best by any means, but Jagger's swagger carried it. And the rest of "Some GIrls" had some gems too.

"Hey, what's the matter man?

We're gonna come around at twelve

With some Puerto Rican girls that's just dyin' to meet you"

Might need a thread on The World's Greatest Rock-n-Roll band.

I actually agree with you about "Miss You" (on the other hand, I also like "Let's Dance"), and I could have sworn there was a more blatant sell-out than this, but I couldn't think of it.

I agree with The Hersch on the "wasted potential" comment. When I was a teen, way back in the '60s, I saw several Jeff Beck Group concerts, with Rod Stewart doing the vocals. Loved it. Immediately bought the Rod Stewart Album and then Gasoline Alley when they came out. Loved them. By "Every Picture Tells A Story", I was less thrilled & he kept moving to more and more pop over the years. More critical acclaim but I've always felt he's been way less than he could've been. Now he's singing standards and crooning?! Oh well.