Pierre Hantaï (1964-), Conductor and Brilliant Harpsichordist from Paris, France

Mark Slater

Which ones? (His 1955 recording of The Goldberg Variations was shot out into space (Mark might say, 'Where it belongs'); he re-recorded them in 1981, and the two versions show the difference between a young, brash genius; and an older, wiser genius).

First, either on the piano playing Bach is regrettable. Listen to Pierre Hantai play Bach on the correct instrument. It's luminous. His Golbergs are clear and correct IMO. Gould was asked why he played Mozart so fast. "Because I can". Eccentric. Yes.

First, either on the piano playing Bach is regrettable. Listen to Pierre Hantai play Bach on the correct instrument. It's luminous.

Wow, I couldn't agree more. Listening to harpsichord repertoire played on piano is kind of violently disruptive to the proper order, like the lute repertoire played on modern guitars, only perhaps more so. Pierre Hantai plays the Bach harpsichord literature as if he and Bach collaborated on the stuff.

Wow, I couldn't agree more. Listening to harpsichord repertoire played on piano is kind of violently disruptive to the proper order, like the lute repertoire played on modern guitars, only perhaps more so. Pierre Hantai plays the Bach harpsichord literature as if he and Bach collaborated on the stuff.

Hantai studied with Gustav Leonhardt, whose recordings are also wonderful.