Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

Has any one else noticed or been bothered by the flies in the cafe the past couple of weeks? They sorta look like fruit flies. On two evenings in August there were a lot of them, I mentioned it to the server the second time who was very apologetic and said they are trying to deal with the problem. Was back last night for the first time since and the same type of bugs were flying around (although fewer.)

I have no issues with the occasional fly or bug in a restaurant, but having to swat my food on multiple visits isn't really fitting of such a great establishment. Anyone else bothered by this? Or have I totally lost it and am seeing things that aren't really there? :lol:

Has any one else noticed or been bothered by the flies in the cafe the past couple of weeks? They sorta look like fruit flies. On two evenings in August there were a lot of them, I mentioned it to the server the second time who was very apologetic and said they are trying to deal with the problem. Was back last night for the first time since and the same type of bugs were flying around (although fewer.)

I have no issues with the occasional fly or bug in a restaurant, but having to swat my food on multiple visits isn't really fitting of such a great establishment. Anyone else bothered by this? Or have I totally lost it and am seeing things that aren't really there?  :lol:

When I was in a couple of weeks ago at the bar with a couple of buds early in the evening the flies became so annoying the bartender came out and zapped them with some kind of vinegary spray (non-toxic, apparently as the mist settled into my wine glass, and I'm still here to tell the tale). They seemed to be some kind of large fruit-fly like critters.

What's the perfect place to go for a savory meal on a gloomy night after a day of fasting? Palena Cafe was the answer, and my husband and I had a fabulous meal that was enjoyable not only for the excellent food but the mood and ambiance (I just love the casual elegance of the place).

We started with the Jessie's Grove Zinfandel and shared a ricotta cheese "dumpling" (that's how our server described it; I can't remember its italian name now) that was served with chantrelle mushrooms, truffle oil and chives. They split the dish into two plates for us, and both of us really liked the blend of flavors. Then, we stuck with the tried and true-- chicken, cheeseburger, and fries. Perfect comfort food. The cheeseburger came out well-done instead of medium-rare, but our server graciously took it back and came out promptly with a new one. For dessert, we shared the sorbets (lime, blood orange, and grapefruit) that were amazing-- they tasted like the essence of each of those fruits.

I just love this place!

What's the perfect place to go for a savory meal on a gloomy night after a day of fasting?  Palena Cafe was the answer, and my husband and I had a fabulous meal that was enjoyable not only for the excellent food but the mood and ambiance (I just love the casual elegance of the place). 

We started with the Jessie's Grove Zinfandel and shared a ricotta cheese "dumpling" (that's how our server described it; I can't remember its italian name now) that was served with chantrelle mushrooms, truffle oil and chives.  They split the dish into two plates for us, and both of us really liked the blend of flavors.  Then, we stuck with the tried and true-- chicken, cheeseburger, and fries.  Perfect comfort food.  The cheeseburger came out well-done instead of medium-rare, but our server graciously took it back and came out promptly with a new one.  For dessert, we shared the sorbets (lime, blood orange, and grapefruit) that were amazing-- they tasted like the essence of each of those fruits.

I just love this place!

I love that ricotta dumpling thing...can't remember the name either but it was on the fall/winter menu quite often last year... Must work in trip to Palena soon.

DC, did you happen to notice what soup was offered?  Is it still the lovely tomato bread soup with poached egg?  Or something new?

Craving soup,

JLK

I did notice there was soup---I don't recall if it was the same tomato bread soup, but it did have an egg. There was also a bouilloubaise (sorry for the butchered spelling!) soup with monkfish that looked perfect for a Fall night. So there were definitely 2 options as of last night.

The (dainty, awesome) ricotta dumpling is the canaderli.

I too beat a path through the gloom and rain to Palena's door last night, where I reveled in the Zinfandel, indulged in a half-portion of fries, really tasted the truffling in the cheeseburger for the first time, and discovered yet another awesome Amernick dessert: the Maryland streusel.

It's a sweet, but it comes with cheese. So you don't have to choose!

Jael

DC, did you happen to notice what soup was offered?  Is it still the lovely tomato bread soup with poached egg?  Or something new?

Craving soup,

JLK

I had the tomato-bread soup (apologies I don't remember the Italian name) on Wednesday night. Hit the spot on such a dark, dreary evening.

Is Palena open for lunch today?

From their (hard to navigate) website:

For Dinner Only:

Tuesday through Saturday, 5:30 to 10:00 P.M.

Closed Sundays, Mondays and major holidays

Reservations taken and recommended up to one month in advance.

We are able to accept reservations by

Phone 202 537 9250

fax (with confirmation)

On the WEB at www.opentable.com

You might want to call to confirm, but apparently they're only open for dinner, Tuesday through Saturday.

Thanks for trying to help, but that site is OLD and not updated. :lol:

Palena started offering lunch earlier this year, but went on hiatus for awhile. I wanted to see if Saturday lunches had resumed. Today, I could really use some soup - I'm a little sick AND have to entertain my visiting parents.

Edited by JLK

Does anybody know if they ever plan on updating the website? It looks like it hasn't been touched in over two years.

I hereby volunteer to update it for food, if Palena so desires :P

Just sounds like another one of those things that falls by the wayside. It looks like they had a flash version in the works (shudder) but I'm guessing things didn't work out with the designer and it was never completed. But still, copyright 2001? Had it not been updated since? Come on... :lol:

But now of course I still want some of that chicken, website be damned.

No ricotta dumpling thing (canaderli) last night :lol: but a lovely sheep's milk ricotta ravioli and then the gnocchi filled the bill for me.

But the highlight for me was dessert--the pumpkin and goat cheese cake is back!!!! :D

Spot on service from Malik and they let me camp in a both even though I was alone. All the better to read my bloody report...

One small complaint--the bartendering seems a bit off. I ordered a bronx (one of their standard cocktails) and it looked like a) they had to pull out the cheat sheet and :P it seemed to take two tries to get it. It was nearly 15 minutes after I ordered that I received it. It was a perfectly lovely cocktail but I worry when the bartender doesn't know how to make the drinks on the menu. It wasn't like I was playing stump the bartender....

All in all it was a perfect interlude before my meeting.

I could get used to these every other week meetings 3 blocks from Palena...

Jennifer

When I drove by Palena on my way to Aquarelle, it looked crowded and I thought to myself "you lucky, lucky people..." :lol: Was there the previous night with two DR.com folks (excellent company, of course) and we enjoyed the canaderli (which I love saying), the tomato bread soup (perfect as always), fries, chicken, charcuterie and something else I am forgetting. Such good food.

On the bartending note, Arrity was lovely as always, and apologetic about a substitution made in my dining companion's sidecar (Grand Marnier for cointreau, which they'd run out of).

Try the rabbit dish on the menu right now.

I'll keep that in mind. My parents are coming out from Seattle next week and we're all having dinner in the dining room on the 29th. I've eaten at the bar a few times, but am very much looking forward to my first time in the dining room. (Sorry if that sounds vaguely obscene.)

I forgot what I'm supposed to say when all I have is unbriddled passion for a place?

As one with a somewhat creative drive, it's troubling that I cannot come up with original words to naturally convey my true love and appreication for the lifeblood of Palena. Even the fruitflies, I think they're handsome and honest.

Last night I walk in from the Seattley spit, and the first person I see is fantabulous Lily Rubin, who designed the place, dining with her family. She called out my name and welcomed me in, and then I remembered that she too has contributed to my euphoria. Why, I never scrutinize the design or think twice about what's around me in the room because I'm too much at home.

At this point, I'm so relaxed, so able to just chill and let my hair down at Palena, I've forgotten that I'm not in someone's living room being spoon fed, followed by foot rub. Or watching Ali G and eating pistachios in a bathrobe, for that matter... It's my unpretentious spa, however I'm in the mood to patronize.

So, this time I'm going to make a somewhat different observation:

You know that painting on the wall of a man's face at the far end of the bar where the fruit flies like to hang?

Look at the portrait near the sunflowers at the end of the bar. Remember him?

Everytime I'm there (at the bar), I look at him early in the evening and feel like he's watching me and that he's intruding a little bit. And then as the evening progresses, I become more and more fond of him and make it known. By the end of the meal, I'm just mad for the guy. So, I'd like to know the story of him. Why is he there? And what's with him?

New to me tonight was the the outlandish and wonderful lentil soup with flavor-intense little shrimp and later, pumpkin goat cheese cake with candied pumpkin seeds.

I'll admit to being a BLT virgin.

Here are just a handful of wonders that made it in my pie hole:

Golden raisins, apple jelly*, lobster*, lentils, flavor-intense little shrimp, porkbelly, braised cabbage, bite of veal lollipop, olives and their residue, sheep's milk, delicious foamy stuff, rav, pumpkin, tomatoes, bread, goat cheese, brown sugar on the rim of a glass, cookies, caramels, artichokes, pine nuts, I think, cauliflower*, baby panda, mushrooms, more mushrooms, shortbread, buttersticks, jamin' syrah from a paper bag, tiny slivers of rooty veggies,

chocolate chips, bread crumbs, baby carrots, micro greens, cannelli beans, etc.

(mediterranean and lobster salad, kitchen's treat*)

I'll be back...

Frank!

PS: There was a dog growling from a carry-on bag near a table in the low teens. I liked this very much and mistook it for my vibrating cell phone once or twice.

Haven't had time to catch up on my DR reading and posting, so a late long post from our dinner on Tuesday...

First, the ambience--I don't know what does it, but no matter how loud it is, it doesn't appear to be loud. Sort of a hum in the background instead of noise bouncing off the walls. This is a noticeable pleasing aspect to dining in the cafe. Every time I've been there it feels like walking in to someone's front parlor, instead of a restaurant.

Appetizer--We shared a fry plate, DH had the salad, which I skipped since I knew I wouldn't have room for dessert otherwise. I have had it before though, and it is a very simple but quite tasty salad. Most notable--the complementary (and complimentary) glass of Alsace (sorry--memory not so good) One bite of fried lemon....one sip of wine...WOW!

Dinner--Me, gnocchi. DH, chicken: MMMMHHH. DH commented "is that enough for you to eat?" when he saw my serving....knowing how rich the gnocchi are, I knew it would be plenty. It's been a few days since our dinner, but I can close my eyes and still taste the pine nuts and parmesan melting onto my tongue. Melting, the operative word----ahhh, so that's how gnocchi is supposed to taste! :P

Dessert--DH had the chocolate mousse, and I had shortbread with grapefruit sorbet....Shortbread was oh so yummy, but that sorbet was out of this world. It was another one of those eating experiences where you take a bite, close your eyes and wonder how something that appears to be so simple can be done so well. Such is the coffee--anyone who eschews decaf has not had the decaf at Palena. Another item done extremely well.

Conclusion--There's something to say about establishing a tradition...in the past, we used to go to Mrs. Simpson's every year to celebrate our anniversary, until they closed. We've tried a few other places, including the back room of Palena, but the cafe is our new choice for a warm, not stuffy environment, good food and company place to come back to every year---which will be for many more years to come, if the marriage survives the kitchen renovation! :lol:

Hi! It's me again....

Being added to my list of Best Things Eaten in 2005:

The tuna salad on the menu at Palena right now.

The sexiest meatiest-tasting bite of tuna (think sushi, not sandwich) I've ever had in my life, atop shaved fennel, broccoli rabe and some other good stuff which you'll have to find out for yourself (or maybeI'm a lame reporter who forgot to steal the menu again).

I'm not lying, it's wicked-good.

You tell me it's not.

Did you notice the soup offering?

I'm introducing another friend to Palena tomorrow night. Although I'm already dreaming of the poached egg in the tomato-bread soup, I could be swayed by whatever appears on the day's menu. Can't wait!!

Did you notice the soup offering?

The soup was the one I sketchily reported on this Saturday (see above). It's a delicious lentil soup with shrimp and muscles. It truly hit the spot, but didn't shine quite as much as Grandma's tomato n' egg soup-- it's more of a Grandpa kinda thing. The shrimp floating around in the soup were divine, full of flavor, not over-cooked or drained out by the starch in the lentils and the accompanying veg.

Hi!  It's me again....

Being added to my list of Best Things Eaten in 2005:

The tuna salad on the menu at Palena right now.

The sexiest meatiest-tasting bite of tuna (think sushi, not sandwich) I've ever had in my life, atop shaved fennel, broccoli rabe and some other good stuff which you'll have to find out for yourself (or maybeI'm a lame reporter who forgot to steal  the menu again).

I'm not lying, it's wicked-good.

You tell me it's not.

hopefully the tuna will be listed on saturday. i have been on a tuna quest lately, and so far in the lead is the yellowtail jaw at sushi ko. it sounds like this could turn neck and neck.

Hello, my name is Nadya and I'm a PalenaHolic .

For a few weeks now, I've been trying to diversify my dining approach. For the purposes of Palena, this means trying to go there not just on Monday night. There is also Friday and Saturday - all of them fine, fine options. Although it does feel odd to be there on a night that is not Monday. And some may say that eating at the same place five times in two weeks is well, a bit unhealthy.

To hell with these people.

For the pasta lover in you, I hope you never miss any items on the cafe menu that remotely resembles it. Few ingredients, exploding with flavors, never out of balance, always a comfort. There were canederli, an airy goat cheese creation held together by what seemed like magic. There were raviolis with truffle sauce, chanterelles and olives that had me polishing the plate with a piece of bread. And then there's the famous gnocchi.

Every visit to Palena cafe involves an inner struggle. You see, one comes yearning for the comforts of the burger and the chicken.

But then one sees the menu and is inevitably tempted.

Should I have said "no" to the mediterranean squid salad with delicately curried marinated cauliflower and roasted peppers? Or to veal pojarsky, impossibly tender and melting in my mouth? Or to pumpkin cheesecake that in actual fact is a slab of flaky, rich cake sandwiched between pumpkin pudding and scattered with pistachio seed brittle?

These choices are too much after a long day. I'll have it all. And don't forget the cookies. I'll take them, too.

Edited by Nadya

I went in last night with a friend where we were ably taken care of by barman Scott (Thursday is apparently Arrity's night off). Fruit fly count by Meaghan's portrait-of-a-man? About eight. Do they wipe down the wall before service??

Palena is offering some really great cheeses right now. I know it's always good, but last night I thought they were GREAT. With wine, gnocchi for me and cod for my friend (she polished it off and raved), it was a good meal.

Dinner in Palena’s dining room Saturday night was some of the best dining I have ever experienced, not only in Washington but anywhere.

The terrine of fois gras, red leg partridge, and squab heart was dense and flavorful but not overpowering or sticky. It floated on the tongue for a moment then melted slowly away. The garnishes, especially the soft, ripe dates stuffed with pomegranate seeds, were inspired—not mere decorations but true participants in the flavor scheme of the entire dish. The technical perfection of this dish and the imaginative use of flavors, textures, and colors set a high standard that was met in almost every subsequent course.

The terrine of wild Scottish hare was a rich and marvelously full-bodied, spicy dish, redolent of juniper and pepper. The texture of the farce, which could easily have been dry in this case, was moist and light despite the overall richness of the preparation. This would make a perfect lunch after an autumn hike in the woods.

Rare grilled bluefin tuna had a pleasingly salty seared crust protecting the delicate uncooked flesh within. In taste and texture it was highlighted beautifully by cannelini beans and shaved fennel.

The soup of castellucio lentils was another herald of fall. Unfortunately the ruby red prawns that normally garnish it were not available, but the smoky aromas of the smoked Bouchot mussels and the lentils harmonized together perfectly.

I normally don’t order gnocchi, even in Italy, because they so often have a pasty and chewy texture. Palena’s Yukon Gold versions were a revelation: pillowy, light, but bursting with rich potato flavor. They were shown off brilliantly by their light sauce of sage, wild rice, pine nuts, and reggiano.

Black trumpet mushroom and celery velouté came garnished with a roasted scallop, purple fingerlings, and olives. The four of us agreed it was oversalted (perhaps the brininess of the olives alone would have sufficed) but this only slightly diminished the pleasure of this richly flavored and aromatic dish, brimming with the fall aromas of mushrooms and potatoes and with a deep sienna color.

The New Zealand Snapper was scented with paprika and fennel pollen and garnished with artichokes, crabmeat flan, and bok choy. The technical execution of this dish was perfect. The skin of the fish had been lightly seared, but the flesh retained a light, buttery texture and had fully absorbed the aromatics of fennel and paprika. The bok choy, flan, and artichokes complemented the fish with sweet/acidic/creamy flavors and visual and textural contrasts. In the hands of a lesser chef, this dish could have come out looking muddled and confused because of the variety of its ingredients. But here everything was apportioned judiciously and the result was complex without being complicated. This was one of the most memorable fish dishes I have had in years.

The cheese selection was first rate, and included a chevre with a crust of dried grape must. All were perfectly presented with a delicious bread studded with almonds and dried fruits.

For dessert a few of us shared the pumpkin and goat-cheese cake with pistachio brittle. All these flavors were married in a perfect union of lightness and richness, savory and sweet.

Palena’s cuisine is at such a high level that I would have preferred a somewhat more extensive wine list, including some good dry sherries and more after-dinner selections. But what is there is very good, and we didn’t want to drink a great deal anyway. The main wine of the evening was a 2003 Weinbach Riesling Grand Cru, which was the perfect accompaniment to the terrines and fish courses. A Cotes du Rhone by the glass went very well with the cheeses.

We all admired the atmosphere of Palena’s dining room, which struck the perfect balance between formal and casual, much like its cuisine. It is a warm, elegant, and inviting space. The same could be said for the service, which was attentive without fail.

Many thanks to everyone at Palena for a wonderful evening.

Great review, Banco.

We visited the front room on Friday -- surprised to find that there was already a 45-minute wait at 7pm. Happily, Jessie's Grove Zinfandel and a Sazerac made the wait go faster. And attentive service got us through three courses in time to make our 9:30 movie time across the street.

Wonderful things: tangy, bright salad with beets, cheese, and hazelnuts; soft, melty pillows of ricotta ravioli; that truly awesome pumpkin and goat cheese cheesecake with the candied pumpkin seeds all sweet and crunchy. Less wonderful things: the rabbit is a cold terrine, so less autumnal/wintery than we would have liked on a cool night.

What Frank does with beets is a revelation.

Jael

We visited the front room on Friday -- surprised to find that there was already a 45-minute wait at 7pm. Happily, Jessie's Grove Zinfandel and a Sazerac made the wait go faster. And attentive service got us through three courses in time to make our 9:30 movie time across the street.

I love the Jessie's Grove Zinfandel!

Bump!  Couldn't find the beloved Palena thread and almost had a panic attack.  Who went this week?  I need to know what might be on the menu for tonight.  :(

The gnocchi is still the sage, wild rice, wonderful thingy. (As of Wed.) The soup is a cauliflower wild mushroom delight.

No raviolini or riccota dumpling thing on Wed. :P

Pumpkin goat cheese cake was there and the return of the brownie banana split...

Jennifer (the other one...) :lol:

Recipe for Life

Raviolini of Wild Colvert Duck

A foie gras emulsion with quince, honshimeji mushrooms and the intoxicating pasta for which Palena is known well. If you have any affinity for duck, this $14 dish on the Cafe menu now involves zero decision making.

Think of the best seared foie gras you've ever had. Perhaps it arrived in a copper pan, carried by a white-cloaked soul whose prerogative it was to make your night. Perhaps it was in a foreign city seated across the table from the person you later married.

Next, take the generous residues of that memory and dip your finger in the pan.

The quince tastes ever so slightly of sweet potatoes, and the delicate mushrooms speak of the woods as they dissolve in your mouth. It's a brilliant dish, and at the very end calls for the assassination of a good basket of bread.

Now, into that simmer add:

Unexpected, yet wonderful company all around.

Arrity, the rarity at the bar. As usual, the homey yet punctual service that's still a novelty in town.

And the notion that champagne is still to come.

Thank you, Frank, for putting life on a plate. And thanks to all the others who provide the ingredients.

Meaghan -- we were very happy to be there to share the celebration with you. Congrats on the good news.

My cheeseburger and fries hit the spot. (Fried lemon -- man I could have whole plate of that alone)

Those ravilolini were spectacular. Of the two orders that came to our group both plates went back cleaner than they were when they first came out of the dishwasher. I was also promised that the next time I came in so I could order that dish, they would arrange for it to be snowing so that I could enjoy even better the rich luciousness of that dish. Now that's what I call service.

That dish was sick.  I was thrilled to share it with you.  Fun night!  Oh, the veal on the dining room menu was also tasty.

And if all this love for one dish wasn't enough, I'm also going to have to say this is one of the best dishes I've had at Palena in awhile - and for Palena, that's really saying something! Congrats Meaghan! Great hanging out with you and the crew last night.