Nadya

Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

Cleveland Park is simply not a very good location for an upscale restaurant.

It is too far from Downtown with business account and the people living in Cleveland Park are not the same age group that 14th st or Pen n quarter and have a tendency to eat out only on week-ends.

Simpler eatery are doing OK for more sophisticated restaurant you need to go downtown.

On 10/10/2009 at 12:33 PM, Pool Boy said:

Dove Sole is a sucker item on almost any menu for my wife. She's had it many times in many ways, but having it braised was a new preparation for her, and for me.

How about raw?   6-inch Dover sole fish leaps into British man's mouth; man goes into cardiac arrest, by Alex Winter, (Bournemouth, England) Daily Echo Published 4:11 a.m. ET Oct. 13, 2017, on usatoday.com.

There has been one post about Palena in 4 1/2 years. 

The planets have become unstuck, and have slipped out of orbit.

The realty company controlling the former Redwood space in Bethesda should hand it over to Chef Ruta rent-free for him to re-open Palena there, as an act of civic benevolence. 

There you go, Don, there's a Palena post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still see the 'For lease' signs on the old Palena space when I drive by.  When I saw new posts in this thread, I thought it might be coming back.  A christmas miracle please?

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 8:12 PM, DonRocks said:

There has been one post about Palena in 4 1/2 years. 

The planets have become unstuck, and have slipped out of orbit.

Palena was the center of my food universe - Frank, Aggie and the amazing sous chefs that were there over the years - all did such an amazing job. I miss it so. 

On 12/17/2018 at 10:31 AM, Kev29 said:

The realty company controlling the former Redwood space in Bethesda should hand it over to Chef Ruta rent-free for him to re-open Palena there, as an act of civic benevolence. 

There you go, Don, there's a Palena post. 

Bethesda has an appropriate income level to support a great Frank-led restaurant, but there are an awful lot of limitations on beverage programs due to being in MoCo.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:29 AM, Sluggo said:

I still see the 'For lease' signs on the old Palena space when I drive by.  When I saw new posts in this thread, I thought it might be coming back.  A christmas miracle please?

That would be awesome, but unlikely. To survive these days, I do not really think you can survive up in Cleveland Park anymore.