Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

Mmm...there was lots to like at Palena the other night. I loved the gruner veltliner on the by the glass list. The not-red, not-oily minestrone was on the menu. It did not feature the meatballs this time, but the delicious broth, vegetables and homemade (oops! house-made :P ) bacon made me not miss them much. Try as I might, I could not order something other than the gnocchi. It's been awhile since I have eaten at Palena so it was a night for familiar favorites. I wasn't disappointed.

My friend and I shared the old fashioned chocolate cake with coconut custard and coconut gelato for dessert. I'm "fine" with coconut. I neither love it nor hate it. For some reason, I was compelled to order this cake (going so far as to persuade my torte-wanting friend). It was simple and wonderful. We both loved it, which was a relief.

I also like New Scott. Particularly now that I know where to visit Old Scott (Corduroy!). New Scott is friendly and fun.

4 of us ate at the cafe sat. nite. I like the ambience- it's nice but not the formal feel of the back dining room. our waiter was nice but a little odd- he asked us at one point "are you ready to order" and we said yes and then he literally walked away for about 2-3 minutes doing other things???

the bread basket didn't wow me as others wrote. my wife had a 'winter cosmo' which they made a bit too strong. someone else ordered a dirty martini that didn't seem too dirty, but i'll forgive those 2 mistakes.

the goat cheese and greens salad with honey vinaigrette was very good- a nice sized portion. my friend had the house cured fish which he liked.

the organic chicken was wonderful- yes it takes 30-40 minutes to prepare but it really was great. it only came with a side of beans which were good but we got the 'fry' plate. wonderful french fries, dauphine potatoes (imagine fried mashes potatoes) and crisp onion rings were all top notch. but the real treat was fried slices of meyer lemon. what an odd and yet great treat. the salty/tart combination played nicely with the chicken's crust.

the waiter even cut up my wife's chicken (he used to be a butcher) into leg, wing, breast and thigh in about 10 seconds- nice touch.

the desserts were wonderful- the chocolate toffee torte was to die for- one of my favorite desserts ever (I happen to love toffee) and my wife had the chocolate fudge ice cream sandwich- good but not anything that i'd specifically go back just to order.

overall, very nice surroundings- the pacing of the meal was good and the food was delicious.

...we got the 'fry' plate. wonderful french fries, dauphine potatoes (imagine fried mashes potatoes) and crisp onion rings were all top notch. but the real treat was fried slices of meyer lemon. what an odd and yet great treat. the salty/tart combination played nicely with the chicken's crust.

I'm not sure but I don't think they're meyer lemons on the fry plate... Regular lemons I believe...

Not that a decently updated web site would be of any use here, but what can you expect to drop on appetizers, entrees, drinks, etc. at Palena (average per item, not total bill)? Reading through the thread I answered my other question (no lunch, not even on Saturday). Palena has been my "next great restaurant" choice for several months now but I just don't feel informed enough about prices or current offerings to make any such plans. Part of the issue might be the constantly changing menu mentioned in the worst web site thread, but I'd like to know more.

Pax,

Brian

Not that a decently updated web site would be of any use here, but what can you expect to drop on appetizers, entrees, drinks, etc. at Palena (average per item, not total bill)? Reading through the thread I answered my other question (no lunch, not even on Saturday). Palena has been my "next great restaurant" choice for several months now but I just don't feel informed enough about prices or current offerings to make any such plans. Part of the issue might be the constantly changing menu mentioned in the worst web site thread, but I'd like to know more.

Pax,

Brian

Go there, Brian. You will like it. Not in the bar, in the restaurant. Frank can cook.

Go there, Brian. You will like it. Not in the bar, in the restaurant. Frank can cook.

But what am I going to spend??? It affects whether I go solo, in couple, with friends, or family in toe. Price does matter!!! Otherwise, we'll never be able to afford to cross your path again, Mark.

The cafe ranges from $10 to $15 and dessert is $9. I believe that second courses of the back room menu are $14 in the cafe (the famous gnocchi being the item we order most often from that menu.)

I don't remember the current prix-fixe prices in back but it usually starts in the mid 50s and ends in the high 60s to low 70s.

We always eat up front to give us the widest range of options. (We did eat in the back on our first visit and it was great. I am just not willing to committ to being unable to get the burger if the spirit moves me--even if it does give me wicked evil heartburn these days...)

Jennifer

The cafe ranges from $10 to $15 and dessert is $9. I believe that second courses of the back room menu are $14 in the cafe (the famous gnocchi being the item we order most often from that menu.)

The cafe obviously seems more accessible. Do you ever just pop in to Palena cafe, or do you always have to make reservations? Can you really only expect a table for 2 or 4 in the cafe?

pax,

Brian

It's been a while since I've been there, but I too was advised to sit in the front and order from the back and I think I'd personally choose to sit in the back. While the food was excellent, the service in the front was just so-so, and as the night went on, the noise and the bodies at the bar started to encroach on our table, and on our nice time.

So I guess I'd say: sit in the front for a smart, casual evening; sit in the back for a fine dining evening.

Pax,

Brian

think of each and every thing costing $10 and you will be in the ballpark, although if you aren't going for the burger and you try something from the regular menu, you can count on adding about $5 to your appetizer and entree. palena fries (including onion rings, lemon and dauphines) are $10. there are usually some up-scale entrees on the cafe menu (shrimp fricassee, steak frites, yellowfin tuna) that are about $15. the cafe menu minestrone is terrific and a bit lower-priced than soups on the regular menu, which are also well worth ordering. the best gnocchi ever off the second page of the regular menu were $13 recently. a terrine off the front page of the main menu was recently $18, and worth every cent. there are no prices for individual items on the regular menu, but you can ask. a salad, a burger and a glass of wine will cost $30 before tax and tip. however, i have never been able to come close to this amount and if you are really interested in the food, you should eat in the back and two courses plus dessert (it used to be three courses) and a glass of wine will set you back $70 before tax and tip. my strategy would be to skip a couple of meals out and come here, but even if you decide to take the low road with the cafe menu you will feel like you are on the high road by the time you finish your meal. there are some dark and narrow booths in the back along the wall leading to the main dining room if you are looking for something quieter than the front, but come early for them if you don't want to wait. i like the approach to the service here. let's just say it's humanitarian.

think of each and every thing costing $10 and you will be in the ballpark, although if you aren't going for the burger and you try something from the regular menu, you can count on adding about $5 to your appetizer and entree.

It would be a steal if the entrees from the regular menu were only $15, but they are usually in the high 20s when ordered ala carte.

It would be a steal if the entrees from the regular menu were only $15, but they are usually in the high 20s when ordered ala carte.

i guess i wasn't even thinking about those. if you want an entree from the main menu, it probably makes more sense to sit in the back and order from the regular menu.

i guess i wasn't even thinking about those. if you want an entree from the main menu, it probably makes more sense to sit in the back and order from the regular menu.

Not necessarily more sense, it just depends on what atmosphere you are looking for at dinner. I have enjoyed both regular menu and cafe menu meals at the bar.

I much prefer the drop-in informality of the cafe and tend to order one item (say, a soup) from the cafe menu and one from the more formal menu (gnocchi!). YMMV.

Oh, and I don't know if anything on the cafe menu is $10 anymore. If memory serves the base tends to be $12 and go up from there.

I much prefer the drop-in informality of the cafe and tend to order one item (say, a soup) from the cafe menu and one from the more formal menu (gnocchi!). YMMV.

Oh, and I don't know if anything on the cafe menu is $10 anymore. If memory serves the base tends to be $12 and go up from there.

some things (chicken) are $12, but a recent receipt in my wallet shows burger and fries at $10 each. and from memory (failing), the hot dog was $10 and the cafe salad the same. desserts are $9. i am more of a drop-in kind of person, so we usually sit up front but come early. the cafe can fill up quickly on the weekend.

some things (chicken) are $12, but a recent receipt in my wallet shows burger and fries at $10 each. and from memory (failing), the hot dog was $10 and the cafe salad the same. desserts are $9. i am more of a drop-in kind of person, so we usually sit up front but come early. the cafe can fill up quickly on the weekend.

I was there the Saturday before last. We arrived at 5:40 and the bar area was packed, particularly with a table for twelve that took up a good portion of the space. We tried Dino for the first time but really wanted to do the chicken at Palena.

Enjoyed dinner in the bar area Saturday night.

Friend and I started with the gnocchi and soup of the day.

Gnocchi were alright. Light and airy but the ragu was a little lacking.

The soup, however, was intense. Quite possibly the best minestrone I've ever had. $10 is a bit pricy for soup though.

Both my friend and I had the burger. Fantastic as usual.

Brought in a 2000 Newton Unfiltered Merlot. Went perfectly with the dishes, and the $20 corkage isn't that bad.

-j

Are you saying that there is no longer a three-course, any three, option in the dining room?
it looks that way: two courses plus dessert, three courses plus dessert and four courses plus dessert.

But it is any two or any three or any four (although they prefer that you don't order all entrees).

We had a glorious dinner in the dining room Saturday night. We arrived just before they opened at 5:30 (our ressy was for 5:30) and there was a line of people waiting to get in to the bar and cafe. Busy place!

But it is any two or any three or any four (although they prefer that you don't order all entrees).

We had a glorious dinner in the dining room Saturday night. We arrived just before they opened at 5:30 (our ressy was for 5:30) and there was a line of people waiting to get in to the bar and cafe. Busy place!

Approximately how many people fit in the cafe/bar area? Is it just as easy/difficult to get a seat there for 2 as it is for four?

Pax,

Brian

Approximately how many people fit in the cafe/bar area? Is it just as easy/difficult to get a seat there for 2 as it is for four?

Pax,

Brian

Not sure of the exact number of folks that can be seated, but it is easier for 2 than 4.

Palena Cafe 101: Go on a Saturday with one friend. Arrive at or before 5:30. Sit at a table if there's room, the bar otherwise. Order the chicken to split, and during the 45-minute wait for the chicken, split a burger and a fry plate. After the chicken get a dessert to split, any dessert will do. With two glasses of Jessie's Grove Zinfandel this will set you back about $60 plus tax and tip. If that seems too high skip the wine and you can do it for $40-ish.

This won't give you a full sense of everything the kitchen can do, but for a first visit, it should fill in the outline at least.

it looks that way: two courses plus dessert, three courses plus dessert and four courses plus dessert.
That's too bad. I wonder what prompted such a change. One of the things I loved about Palena in the past was that you could have a prix-fixe dinner without having to have dessert, which I almost never want. They do at least still have cheese as a dessert option, I hope? I have practically no sweet tooth whatever.

When it gets warmer they have 4 tables outside as well... which would help lighten the load but I think the warmer temperature draws out more people so it may end up not helping after all. I don't think I've ever sat in the cafe (in 4 tries or so) without at least an hour wait. But if you go into it with that understanding then there won't be a problem :-) There's plenty to do in the area if you don't want to wait in the bar and the hosts have always been more than happy to take my cell number if I don't want to wait in the bar.

Palena Cafe 101: Go on a Saturday with one friend. Arrive at or before 5:30. Sit at a table if there's room, the bar otherwise. Order the chicken to split, and during the 45-minute wait for the chicken, split a burger and a fry plate. After the chicken get a dessert to split, any dessert will do. With two glasses of Jessie's Grove Zinfandel this will set you back about $60 plus tax and tip. If that seems too high skip the wine and you can do it for $40-ish.

This won't give you a full sense of everything the kitchen can do, but for a first visit, it should fill in the outline at least.

So, we're driving into the city for our wine class when I notice to the left of us is Dino and it dawns on me, "We just passed Palena!" Since it's 5:45 and they just opened for dinner, we decide against venturing further into the city to take a crap shoot on sushi and instead enroll in Palena Cafe 101.

We took the advice of ordering the 45 minute chicken plus a burger and gnocci plate to eat while we waited. We ate the burger first, and it was extremely juicy and flavorful but surprisingly very salty. I personally put a ton of salt in the burgers I make, so I didn't mind, but I guess I expected a little more finesse from a great restaurant. Then we had the gnocci. So that's what gnocci's supposed to taste like! Most recently I tried gnocci at Maggiano's in Tyson's and it was ok but had the similar dryish center described by another poster at Bebo (I think). Palena's, though, not to be trite, truly melts in the mouth. Makes me want to through away the packaged gnocci I bought at an Italian store this week.

And then the chicken came. Jesus fucking Christ! That chicken is enough to make a Catholic-schooled boy blasphemous during Lent! And make my mind wander to lasciviously carnal things.... By far the best chicken I've ever had. No wonder there's an extended thread on trying to figure out the recipe. The chicken must be swimming in that brine as soon as they hatch from the shell. Even my dark-meat-phobic wife was picking out a shred of thigh meat and imploring me, "You've gotta try this piece!" Is there a better way to spend $12 in this city?

Three dishes plus two soft drinks came to $43 including tax but tip was additional [edited to say "including tax but tip was additional" since I originally mis-typed]. Definitely a better experience than the planned sushi crap shoot. We will definitely be back to both the cafe and for the back dining room.

Before I left, I asked for a menu. When I get a chance, I'll scan it and post it under the caveat that the menu will likely change. At least it will be more instructive than the 2003 menu on the web site.

Pax,

Brian

I was finally able to get in on Saturday and had to agree with everything said above. A very nice space in a good location.

The burger was outstanding (the sauce and bun were great compliments to a perfectly cooked patty) and the fry plate was good, although ironically the fries were the disappointing part about it, as the lemons and mashed potatoes clearly outshone them.

I also ordered the gnocchi, which was excellent. Perfect texture and I loved the gorgonzola sauce (although it was probably the cause of me passing out shortly after getting home).

My only complaint was the awful service from the waiter (the host staff was very pleasant, however). He rushed us as soon as we sat down, asking us what we wanted before one of the members of our party had even gotten back from the bathroom and never really coming back over the course of the meal. He was also rude about them not being able to serve us the chicken, not really giving an explanation as to why (which, I'm assuming was because we came in around 9 and he did not want us in late enough for it to be cooked). We were then rushed out of the restaurant, never being offered a dessert menu and given our check without us asking for it.

The food was good enough to take me back there for another time, though, and hopefully the service issue was an isolated incident.

The food was good enough to take me back there for another time, though, and hopefully the service issue was an isolated incident.

Unfortunately, it's not an isolated incident. That type of service is consistent with about 80% of my visits there. I will say, however, that you should at least experience the chicken before you write them off.

Congratulation to Chef Frank Ruta on the James Beard nomination.

If this news wasn't reason enough to try Palena, then maybe this promised menu from my 3-8-07 Cafe experience will. I tried inserting this into a Word doc to make downloading easier but Invision told me that I couldn't upload that file type (viruses?). The pics are of the bar and backroom menus. Use these as guides while remembering that the menu does change.

Pax,

Brian

post-1943-1174433340_thumb.jpg

post-1943-1174433353_thumb.jpg

post-1943-1174433369_thumb.jpg

post-1943-1174433376_thumb.jpg

My wife and I had dinner at Palena tonight. In the restaurant. Not the cafe which the last five or so pages of this thread and a year and a half seem to focus on. But the restaurant-which is truly exceptional and much more than just chicken, fries and gnocchi. At eight o'clock literally every man in the dining room had a tie on-EVERY one. In the Cafe, when we walked in and, several hours later, walked out, I counted at least four pairs of jeans. I'll come back in jeans and without a tie. But tonight, with a tie and a sport coat, this was a dinner to travel from Reston for.

Palena is two entirely different restaurants. The Cafe, which seems to be the sole focus of this board, is exceptional for what it is. But the real strength is in the formal dining room in the back. Salmon ceviche, lamb, cod-several extraordinarily delicious dishes among the best not just for D. C. but for this side of the Atlantic.

The purpose of this post is very simple: this is overall an outstanding restaurant which is the culmination of years of excessive effort on the part of two extraordinary professionals. You won't know how REALLY good they are until you spend a bit more money, dress up and sit in the back with flickering candle light. A visit to Palena is not a visit to Citronelle or Maestro. But it is a real excursion in excellence.

And order a bottle of '03 Chateau Fombrauge for $80 which is a steal. And ask for Malik to wait on you, one of the best and most passionate waiters in this or any other city. Whatever memories my wife and I may have had of service at Palena five or six years ago have receded into the distant past. He is an absolute credit to Palena and must be applauded for his enthusiasm and his excellence. Palena is a Washington treasure-especially for the back dining room where its flowering excellence often blooms.

Joe, I have heard mixed reviews about Palena from mutual friends. I have never tried it, especially after the Palena chicken project, (cafe chicken I suppose?). I will definately try it within the next couple of weeks and report on it. I trust your taste. But if I disagree, well we'll still be friends.

My wife and I had dinner at Palena tonight. In the restaurant. Not the cafe which the last five or so pages of this thread and a year and a half seem to focus on. But the restaurant-which is truly exceptional and much more than just chicken, fries and gnocchi. At eight o'clock literally every man in the dining room had a tie on-EVERY one. In the Cafe, when we walked in and, several hours later, walked out, I counted at least four pairs of jeans. I'll come back in jeans and without a tie. But tonight, with a tie and a sport coat, this was a dinner to travel from Reston for.
I've wondered for some time why more people don't seem to post about going to the restaurant, except the price differential probably ensures that people head more often to the cafe.

I have not been to the cafe but we had a wonderful anniversary dinner a few years ago in the restaurant. It's too long ago to remember what we ordered, though I do recall they brought us complimentary glasses of champagne to start, in honor of the occasion. The service was quite attentive, even to the point of our waiter offering to rearrange the seating cushions, as the bolster along the back hit short little me in such an awkward spot that I kept sliding down. And I also recall my husband wearing a tie for the occasion, a rare occurence :blink: .

I've wanted to get there again, but the cost of the back room really does make it a special occasion meal. Maybe we'll go back for our anniversary this year.

I just realized that I never posted after my delightful dinner in the back restaurant 5 weeks ago. Sorry for the delay!

I want to join Joe and others and extolling the praises of the back room. It is a beautiful space, and I felt transported to somewhere romantic on the Mediterranean. The candles and the window high on the back wall create a lovely atmosphere, as do the furnishings and pictures.

The food was exceptional on our visit. I started with the terrine of foie gras and oxtail, which was so good I told the waiter I almost changed my mind and wanted that again for the next course. My husband had the lobster salad, which was delicious (I managed a tiny bite). I can't find my notes at the moment, and my husband is in Tokyo, but I do remember that I had the braised veal, and maybe the Dover Sole, and loved everything. I remember that I loved my dessert, as well.

The service was splendid. I don't know our waiter's name, but he was enthusiastic and attentive, and even when he was also tending a party of 8 and several other tables he made sure he knew how we were doing, and timed our courses perfectly.

I'm so charmed by Palena and Dino I almost want to move to Cleveland Park! I am eager to return to the back room at Palena, and eventually to try the cafe as well. I agree with Joe and Mark Slater and others--the back room is worth the trip!

Joe, It's nice to see you posting such a complimentary piece on the restaurant (not the cafe). I've long thought it was an excellent restaurant, and is the favorite restaurant to me and the +1 for celebrating special occasions. I know on your first visit you weren't overwhelmed. I'm glad you gave it another chance.

I've long thought it was an excellent restaurant, and is the favorite restaurant to me and the +1 for celebrating special occasions.

I feel exactly the same as you do. We've celebrated several birthdays and anniversaries here, and have taken discerning out of town visitors. I've always had wonderful meals, and am firmly in the 'Frank Ruta is a culinary genius' camp. It never fails to astonish me to meet a fine diner who says they don't like Palena.