Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

Once we moved I started looking for "my place"--a place that I could feel comfortable going to once a week and feel a continual satisfaction whenever I leave. A few months ago I picked Palena Cafe. Because of traffic, it's about 10 minutes further than I thought I would drive, but DAMN is it worth it. And I can usually go early enough to not have to worry about the exhaustingly long waits. When ordering, my general approach has been to pick one tried and true (burger or chicken) and one item new. When I'm exploring new items, I'll pick whatever temps me from the cafe menu or the restaurant's first or second courses. This winter, my favorite "find" has been the chestnut soup with sliced octopus, which I hope will stay on through the cold weather season, but last night my wife selected a contender in the pork/bacon flavored minestrone which is somewhat lighter (it's all relative). Every once and a while I've been underwhelmed, and last night the crab leg and polenta dish on the cafe menu was not the richness or flavor-burst I expect from Palena; my squash and wild rice gnocchi also was probably the tamist variation of Ruta's that I've tried. But even though I'm occassionally not blown away, I keep going back because consistently I leave saying, "Everyone should feel this satisfied at least once a week."

Pax,

Brian

The wife and I went to Palena for new year's eve for dinner. We have never been to Palena (back room or cafe) and did not really know what to expect. We've read all the good reviews but for some reason, we never ever got around to going there. Overall, it was the best meal either of us have had in the US this past year and we were wowed...

The quick rundown - service was great. The server was knowledgeable, the service was at a good pace, wine and water were refilled often. No complaints whatsoever.

Bread - They served us three breads. Two white breads and one darker bread with seeds. This was probably the only part of the meal that wasn't perfect. While the three breads were fresh, and the two white breads were tasty, we did not like the dark bread. It was just too gummy and too heavy with seeds. Also, the butter was served ice cold, and hence impossible to spread (we both hate being served ice cold butter). Fix the butter and nix the dark bread and it was nearly a perfect meal.

Appetizers - I had the crudo, a Tasmanian sea trout with truffles and a truffle/parsnip sauce. This stuff was amazing. The delicious fish, the amazing, rich, creamy sauce and the truffles. Lots of yummy truffles. Amazingly the appetizer was balanced. You could still taste the fish without being overpowered by the truffles. My wife fought me for it and tried to eat it all. When we go back, and if it is on the menu, I would order it in a heart beat. The wife ordered a pate which was fois gras and oxtail. The pate was very good and rich. She enjoyed it.

Next course - My wife ordered the potato gnocchi. These were easily the best gnocchi I have eaten in a long time. Large, tender and delicate. They were so good, I could eat plates of them. It was served with a rabbit ragu I believe which was very nice. For my second course, I ordered the house made sausage which was served in a ravioli. The ravioli was very soft and the sausage was great with a nice strong taste. The ravioli was served in a rich broth and with some perfectly cooked carrots and celery and the like. The broth was out of this world. Rich, flavorful, and the veges were perfectly cooked and tender. (We both noted how throughout the meal every single vege was perfectly cooked. We were amazed.) If I could be served a bowl of the broth and veges, I would order it and just eat it for a meal. So good.

Main course - I ordered the fois gras and veal. The fois gras was a perfectly cooked piece of fois gras. I let my wife eat it since it is her favourite food. The veal was a small piece of veal loin I believe. It was perfectly seared on all sides yet so warm and tender and perfectly cooked on the inside. The veal was flavorful and delicious. The presentation and cooking was perfect. My wife ordered the fish that evening. I am blanking out on what type of fish it was, but it was a very nice piece of white fish. The skin was perfectly crisp and the fish itself was wonderfully cooked. The fish was not a bit overcooked at all and was fabulous. It was cooked perfectly throughout.

Cheese course - The meal came with a cheese course. The cheese were good, the fig bread served with it was very good.

Dessert - My wife ordered the canolis which were very good. I ordered the chocolate hazelnut cake. It was very nice, moist and had a nice texture. We were so stuffed at this point, I can't really remember much about the desert. I remember it didn't 100% wow me, maybe a 90% wow, but I remember it being better than most desserts i've gotten elsewhere in town except the kit kat at Central which I love.

Overall, Palena was fabulous. Frank Ruta clearly is making some killer food in his kitchen. We'll be back again and I can't wait to try the cafe in the future.

... my general approach has been to pick one tried and true (burger or chicken) and one item new.

I really do wish I could move past the burger. Scott, the bartender, greets me with Burger? Rare? Sliced onions?

My Palena dining buddy often ordered something "new" to share from the restaurant's first or second courses. One time the sardines; on another occassion, the gnocchi. I'm sure we had other dishes... all good... but the burger consistently blows me away. After getting my burger fix I, too, say: Everyone should feel this satisfied.

[unfortunately, both Sarah and Ashley have left Palena; I now must make new friends. :( ]

Bread - They served us three breads. Two white breads and one darker bread with seeds. This was probably the only part of the meal that wasn't perfect. While the three breads were fresh, and the two white breads were tasty, we did not like the dark bread. It was just too gummy and too heavy with seeds. Also, the butter was served ice cold, and hence impossible to spread (we both hate being served ice cold butter). Fix the butter and nix the dark bread and it was nearly a perfect meal.

I live 2 blocks from Palena and dine in the front room often. I actually like the dark bread, but I totally agree on the butter. I am not sure why they have to serve it rock hard. It may just be a pet peeve of mine, but the cold butter really stands out especially when everything else is so good.

Dessert - My wife ordered the canolis which were very good. I ordered the chocolate hazelnut cake. It was very nice, moist and had a nice texture. We were so stuffed at this point, I can't really remember much about the desert. I remember it didn't 100% wow me, maybe a 90% wow, but I remember it being better than most desserts i've gotten elsewhere in town except the kit kat at Central which I love.

was the cookie plate still there? it's worth taking one home when it's available. the caramels (you only get one) are better than ever, and the assortment is similar to the plate in the old days, with a substitution or two, including, recently, a small mushroom-shaped sandwich cookie.

I totally agree on the butter. I am not sure why they have to serve it rock hard. It may just be a pet peeve of mine, but the cold butter really stands out especially when everything else is so good.

OK - after yesterday's discussion in another thread, I'll have to stop being one of those "only say good things" people and join the peevishness: what's with the ice-cold milk? Combine that with always warm (never hot) coffee and you get a most unsatisfactory end to a meal. I mean really, how hard is it to serve a hot cup of really good coffee these days?

was the cookie plate still there? it's worth taking one home when it's available. the caramels (you only get one) are better than ever, and the assortment is similar to the plate in the old days, with a substitution or two, including, recently, a small mushroom-shaped sandwich cookie.

They gave us a cookie plate at the end. I think we got two caramels, two candies, and 4 cookies of some sort. The caramels were really really good and soft and had a strong vanilla flavour. I can't remember much about the cookies and I don't think one was mushroom shaped, but the two pieces of chocolate they gave us were extremely bitter. I like bitter chocolate, but if you don't, beware.

They gave us a cookie plate at the end. I think we got two caramels, two candies, and 4 cookies of some sort. The caramels were really really good and soft and had a strong vanilla flavour. I can't remember much about the cookies and I don't think one was mushroom shaped, but the two pieces of chocolate they gave us were extremely bitter. I like bitter chocolate, but if you don't, beware.

Add me to the list of people who loves the dark bread, HATES the cold butter, wishes that the cookie plates came with caramelSSSSSSSS as the menu says, and showed up last night to find it closed. But I still love this place.

Pax,

Brian

was the cookie plate still there? it's worth taking one home when it's available.

Since when has the cookie plate been available again? We asked about it once in the summer and once in the fall, only to be rebuffed with "we don't do that anymore" both times.

Maybe there is a secret codeword or handshake that I am missing. :(

Also, was there any indication given last night about whether the restaurant would be open today?

Since when has the cookie plate been available again? We asked about it once in the summer and once in the fall, only to be rebuffed with "we don't do that anymore" both times.

Maybe there is a secret codeword or handshake that I am missing. :(

it reappeared around thanksgiving, if i remember correctly, and there's no secret about it. it's the last item on the dessert menu, which has been doing some interesting things with ginger, most recently combining it with apple. it was mango in the summer.

before dessert, if it's on the menu, i would go for intensely sweet beet and squash shining like red and orange jewels through buttery translucent raviolini wrappers topped with crumbled goat cheese and cut with salt.

OK - after yesterday's discussion in another thread, I'll have to stop being one of those "only say good things" people and join the peevishness: what's with the ice-cold milk? Combine that with always warm (never hot) coffee and you get a most unsatisfactory end to a meal. I mean really, how hard is it to serve a hot cup of really good coffee these days?

I've never had a cold cuppa from Palena, and it's always good---maybe the secret is in ordering decaf!

Carne Cruda - Beef carpaccio flavored with piment d'esplette. Slivers of foie gras and slices of housemade bresaola, a marinated mushroom and balsamic-glazed onion as a garnish.

A good friend of mine has her PhD in Art History from Berkeley. Now I've always prided myself in my knowledge of art, but obviously this person resides at a different level entirely.

Battling traffic to get downtown for a personal tour of the Kertesz exhibit, I ended up getting there less than thirty minutes before the museum closed. I ran into the lobby, where she was waiting for me, and we walked into the first gallery together. We walked up to a teeny-tiny black-and-white photograph, not much bigger than a matchbox.

"Very nice," I said. "Let's go see the rest," and started to turn and continue walking.

She grabbed my shirt and pulled me back.

Twenty minutes later, the guard walked through and said the museum was about to close. We had seen about five little black-and-white studies, and hadn't left the first gallery.

On the way out, the same way we came in, I turned to her and asked, "When can we see the rest?"

She looked at me and smiled. "Whenever you have time," she said.

Seafood Boudin in a winter velouté of celeriac, pear, and hazelnut. With spinach and shaved truffles.

Morue - Homemade salt cod with creamy brandade risotto, piquillo pepper sauce, and a walnut salad.

Nouilles a L'Oursin - Hand-cut saffron noodles with Maine sea urchin, leeks, and lemon zest [GET THIS WITH THE CRISTOM PINOT NOIR THEY HAVE ON THE LIST]

Roasted California Squab with Corona beans, braised local endive and carrots, and a sauce made from Ligurian olives and black trumpet mushrooms.

The Cafe Salad is worth getting if only for the roasted yellow beets in it. The beets come in the form of small chunks that almost could be mistaken (in appearance) for artichoke hearts, only darker and softer. We asked Scott how they are prepared and he told us that Frank covers a whole beet in oil, wraps it in aluminum foil, leaving a little air on the top for the vegetable to breathe, and roasts it all day at low heat. At the end of the day, they take the beet out and cut off the dried exterior and slice the interior into 1' cubes. It did a good job of taking some of the bite out of the beet without taking away any of that nice, hearty flavor.

I second the praise for the cafe salad. Got one last time we were there a few weeks ago and it was divine. Perfectly complementary blend of great ingredients - beets, greens, walnuts? (or some other nut) with a similar nutty dressing and small pieces of mango. Just lovely and a pretty big portion for one (more like a side salad if plated for 2 -which they'll do if you tell them you are sharing).

I finally had my first Palena burger, I don't know how people can compare this to Central's, and frankly I have never had a burger that could even compare to the one I ate last night.

Unfortunately, I did not have the same feeling about the Chocolate Hazelnut cake, the cake was dry not very flavorful, and the acid level in the exotic caramel sauce was too high and instead of adding to the total dish, it acted as an unpleasant distraction.

The two wishes I had at Palena is that 1) they would offer fries other than on the Frito Misto (the regular Palena fry platter was not available last night), and 2) for better consistency and balance I wish that they would measure instead of free pouring when making the cocktails.

and 2) for better consistency and balance I wish that they would measure instead of free pouring when making the cocktails.
We used to go to the cafe regularly -- realizing now that I haven't been in quite some time, I think it may be because of the smallest wine pour I think I ever had. I didn't raise it when it happened, as usually things even out. But subconsciously maybe it has been what has kept us away. So measuring may be a good idea. And now that I realize what may have been keeping me away, I need to get back there for gnocchi, fry plates, and the other great inventive dishes that come out of the kitchen.

We used to go to the cafe regularly -- realizing now that I haven't been in quite some time, I think it may be because of the smallest wine pour I think I ever had. I didn't raise it when it happened, as usually things even out. But subconsciously maybe it has been what has kept us away. So measuring may be a good idea. And now that I realize what may have been keeping me away, I need to get back there for gnocchi, fry plates, and the other great inventive dishes that come out of the kitchen.

And let me add that the chatham cod entree item (from the back room menu) is definitely worth a return trip itself.

Pax,

Brian

I remember the rabblerousers who tried to conjure up a fictional hamburger war between Palena and Central. The denouement almost surely fizzled, with the entire dining community losing interest, happy to have both from which to choose.

Chicken Liver ($10) with toast and deviled eggs is a psychological thriller. On its most basic level, it's a pretty big ramekin of pureed liver, under gelatin, served with a few pieces of grilled toast and three halves of deviled eggs.

On the next step up, it's a direct tribute to Michel Richard's Faux Gras at Central, except for one small detail: This dish is a lot better, its only shortcoming being that it could use some more grilled toast. If you love liver, I implore you to try this dish. It also begs a question: Is Palena's Chicken Liver a direct tribute to the great master Michel Richard, or is it a direct assault on him?

Stepping up further, this dish should be a magnet for every chef in town who deigns to devil an egg: Eric Reid, Carole Greenwood, Ann Cashion, I don't care who you are - you owe it to yourselves to come here and try this magnificent version of deviled eggs. The amazing thing is that it's just a condiment to the greater dish of chicken liver, not quite an afterthought, but certainly not the primary focus of the plate.

On the top step stands Ben, one of the kindest, most wonderful servers in town. I've seen Ben many times at Palena, and he has been unfailingly polite, modest, humble, really the kind of person you'd want to invite over to your house for dinner. Kelli Walbourn is the great GM of Palena who has stood the test of time, and I have to think she cherishes having a gentleman such as Ben working with her. Here's to you, both Kelli and Ben: I've been long overdue in thanking you for many, many wonderful meals. Scott and Malik, I extend the same sentiment to you too, my friends - may I one day have a small fraction of your musical talents. (ETA: And yes, porcupine, absolutely Courtney too!)

But first and foremost, get the chicken liver, with grilled toast and deviled eggs. You'll love 'em!

Cheers,

Rocks.

I don't know how he does it. I didn't think it could be done. But the lentil soup manages to be both earthy and ethereal at the same time, with a surprisingly light textured broth that somehow stands up to and complements the meat and house made Andouille sausage.

And Don, don't forget about Courtney. She's a gem, too. :mellow:

It looks like everyone was at Palena last night. Here's the soup report. Lentil soup included lobster, andouile and a foie gras emulsion. This was nothing like any lentil soup I've ever had before and with the flavorful sausage it actually ate more like decadent franks and beans. I can't really do it justice. It was outstanding. Mussels and seafood dumplings in lobster broth were great as well. The dumplings were light and flavorful and the broth was flavored with green onion and daikon lending an Asian quality to the dish.

Palena is so good and so close to my house I don't know why I go anywhere else. And for the quality of the food eating in the cafe and mixing in courses from the dining room is one of the better deals in town. The icing on the cake was that the butter arrived at spreadable temperature. Huzzah!

I know I am a Palena whore....and I like it. But I just had to write up about my experience there last night....

My wife and I have been dealing with being on a Weight Watchers diet for just under two months now. We have been to a couple of restaurants in that time, mostly to satisfy very specific cravings, and being extremely good all week and saving up all 35 weekly 'bonus points' to use on those jaunts (Charlie Palmer Steak most recently). But this time we decided we wanted the overall wonderful experience we knew we would get at Palena. So off we went, stomachs growling and anticipation in our appetites...

Kelli took us herself to our favorite table (the 2-top in the corner) and we dug in to the menu. Oh my gosh. How could this be? How can there be so many choices that all scream for me to want to try them? I mean, Chef Ruta's menus are always fresh and inspired, while creative and unique, but this menu last night was just plain ridiculous. If only I had two more stomachs I'd have eaten the whole menu.

<sigh> What to do?

Bypassing the Lime and Curry Marinate Seviche of Japanese Madai Snapper (with pickled kumquats, almonds and shaved crudites), as well as the Saor (Palena's salt cod in a Roman style sweet and sour marinade with glazed onions) and Petite Pot au Feu (Oxtail consumme with veal tongue, boiled beef, and marrow served with mustard and cornichons), we opted for the other two choices (and I am a sucker for any consumme Ruta makes (I think they are typically the sleepers of the menu -- and my wife is a sucker for salt cod, and frankly, anything of the fish world that Ruta prepares)...

So my wife chose the Terrine of Foie Gras and Our Own Squab Salami (with Walnut and spinach salad, moustarda and toasted brioche). LORDY. There was other stuff on the plate to complement the dish (some sort of gelee (kumquat?) and other things my wife would remember only as she was hoarded her dish as much as I did mine). But the interplay between the foie gras and the almost piggy-like squab salami was amazing. Such flavor. And the interplay of those textures with the brioche and other accompaniments was wonderful.

I opted for the Polpi Marinati (grilled marinated octopus, cocos beans, puntarella greens dressed 'Caesar' and our own cappocolla). I am a sucker for octopus, especially if I know that I'll expect the best treatment of it, like in the hands of Ruta. After having a glorious example 5 years ago in Bologna, Italy, I've been searching for new exposure to that type of treatment (smoked or grilled octopus with variations in preparation of any sort). Black Salt had a decent example, but it wasn't new or interesting and the execution was not what I hoped for. Dino has had stuff like this on the menu from time to time, and I enjoy their offering, but it is not what I dream of. No, the closest thing I have come to an otherworldly experience was what I had at Komi about 15 months ago. Such grill flavor and such expert handling. That was even arguably better than my Bologna experience. It might have continued to think it was the best still. Until last night. Yeah it was THAT good. Each element that Ruta puts on a dish can stand on its own, well, with its own flavors and textures and smells. But where Ruta really excels is how he combines various different elements on the plate that teases, beckons, no demands that you try different combinations of the foods all over the plate to try them together. Bliss. Combinations of flavors, textures, smells and the 'finish' just about make you swoon. I could spend time trying to choose the 'best' octopus dish I have ever had, and it would be between the Bologna restaurant (Battibeco), Komi and Palena. Each was different, each was sublime and each was amazing. Perhaps I give the nod to Ruta's creation for Palena, but maybe only because it is so fresh in my mind. By the way, the cappocolla was freaking amazing!).

The 2nd course was difficult, even with only four choices. My wife bypassed something, had we not been on WW, would have normally jumped at -- Day Boat North Carolina Black Grouper Paillard (On organic Italian lentil and black trumpet mushroom soup with smoky froth) -- which was a very hard decision to make, but went for the Beet Ravioli (with New England crabmeat, clams and lemon/cardamom scented toasted breadcrumbs). She'd had two little raviolis with beets in them once before as a side accompaniment to another dish months ago. But, as is often the case with Ruta, the supporting actors of a dish can sometimes be the sleeper stars. I remember my wife saying she hoped Ruta would make an entire course out of the beet raviolis sometime and this time he did. Wow. Just wow. I don't know what else he throws in with the beets (mascarpone and something else? what I don't know), but the beets are well roasted and must have been put through a food mill to get it so smoothe and wonderful. Just great.

I bypassed the Ballotine of Pennsylvania Raised Rabbit (bonless saddle stuffed with chard and herbs with a sweet potato puree, endive and a red wine sauce), which troubles me. I oten see different preparations of rabbit on Ruta's menus, but I all too often get drawn to something else. Unfortunately, this was also one of those nights, but sometime, someday, I will try Ruta's rabbit! I opted instead for the Yukon Gold Potato Gnocchi (with a ragout of fresh Florida frog's legs and shaved reggiano cheese (and he had tiny strips of some kind of ham or other porky goodness in there too)). I have only ever tried gnocchi once before, in the cafe, at Palena and it was wonderful. I decided to try them again because I am a sucker for anything that involves frog's legs. MOMMA! So good. The gnocchi are so light and fluffy and provide an excellent vehicle for delivering the ragout. Perfection.

For the main course, we were presented with 5 options this time. Having eaten a lot of fish on our diet these past two months, we both decided to bypass the fish offerings, though they appeared to be no slouches. The Atlantic Monkfish (braised in red wine and olives with artichokes, spinach dumplings, Meyer lemon confit and thyme (which sounded great) as well as the Atlantic Halibut 'Dieppoise' (pan roasted with Maine's bouchot mussels and Gulf Shrimp with basmati rice braised with heirloom cabbage, lemon zest and little onions (which sounds AMAZING!). We even bypassed the Grilled Gilson Farms Pennsylvania Raised Lamb (with roasted potatoes, cardoons, and a warm anchovy and balsamic vinaigrette) not because it didn't sound good, but only because the other courses beckoned and this sounded slightly similar to a preparation Ruta did with beef before...

No, my wife opted for the Trio of Snake River Farms Berkshire Pork (Roasted slightly smoked belly, roasted tenderloin and shoulder in an emincee braise (read pulled pork!) with mustard spice and with Italian grass pea puree, roasted beets and apples). O my gosh. The tenderloin was perfect on its own. The shoulder had tiny slivers of crisp enough onion in with it it almost reminds you of a pork 'storganoff' even. The belly was my favorite. But my wife tried a bite with all three porks togethe rin one bite and the look on her face was just priceless. Amazing.

I decided on the 'Blanquette de Veau' (Rich Veal Neck 'Stew' with dauphine and roasted potatoes, fried lemon, glazed vegetables and a black truffle sauce. The broth alone was worth the price of admission here folks. And the potatoes were perfectly executed. The veal was delicious and while feeling rich and decadent, did not feel too heavy at all. It was just amazing.

Having not have really any dessert or baked good worth speaking of in the past two months, we were also looking forward to dessert. We had to ignore the Cannoli Abruzzese (ricotta cannoli with marinated oranges and pistachio confezione -- the table next to us got this and it looked great)), the Warm German Style Apple Cake (with ginger ice cream and cider stewed walnuts), as well as both the Nonna's Neapolitan Rice Pie (with lemon, apricot and prune compote -- a table near us got this and it looked good, but rich) and the Chocolate Almond Cake (with chocolate sorbet and espresso sauce -- which would normally be my choice!). Decisions decisions.

No, my wife opted for the Baba au Ruhm (with cocnut sorbet and lime mousse) -- which was great. The Baba was dripping with rum, but it was still quite capable of delivering great flavors that worked well with the lime and the cocnut -- just great. I went for the Cinnamon Ice Cream (with vanilla roasted pear, red wine sauce and almond cake). This was wonderful. The cinnamon was deeply rooted in the ice cream and went extremely well with the pear. And the almond cakes were these tiny Susan B. Anthony US Dollar sized cake-lettes that delivered the hint of almond I like, without being overpowering as so often happens when people make a confection with almond based products. A winner.

We thought about going sme other place for this meal as we have so many places to try in the city. Really we do. But we knew we wanted the meal to hit on every cylinder and we kept coming back to the idea of going 'home' to our favorite place in DC. Palena. Clearly, we made the right choice.

I know I am a Palena whore....and I like it. But I just had to write up about my experience there last night.... We had to ignore the Cannoli Abruzzese (ricotta cannoli with marinated oranges and pistachio confezione -- the table next to us got this and it looked great)),

Say hi next time. :mellow: You weren't there on the early side, were you?

Just out of curiosity: did you even try to calculate your points? It sounds like you may have been within range.

Oh heck no. It'd be a real challenge. We just threw caution to the wind and asumed we each blew 50 points -- that days' remaining plus our full weekly chunk. What the hell right?

I remember my wife saying she hoped Ruta would make an entire course out of the beet raviolis sometime and this time he did. Wow. Just wow. I don't know what else he throws in with the beets (mascarpone and something else? what I don't know), but the beets are well roasted and must have been put through a food mill to get it so smoothe and wonderful. Just great.

Do you remember what he served with the ravioli? I had these a couple weeks ago and loved them, but the other stuff on the plate didn't really click for me.

Was this the chatham cod with pork belly? My dad ordered that last month. An unexpected pairing that worked out quite well.

My friends and I were there on Thursday. The Snake River Farms beef offered this time was a rib-eye steak with a balsamic reduction. There was a tiny bit too much fat for my liking, believe it or not. Otherwise, the meat was a perfect rare. The big winner IMO was the duck confit salad. Leg was expertly fried, no residual oilyness whatsoever. It came with some lightly dressed greens, several dauphinoise potatoes escaped from the fry plate, a ginormous fried egg sunny-side up, and small pieces of black truffle!!! Hopefully this will be a cafe menu mainstay because I would probably order it every time.

For dessert, we split the Cannoli Abruzzese mentioned above and the cookie plate. Yes, there is definitely a reason why I've eaten here more than any other place in the past year.

I had two really great meals at Palena in the last few weeks.

The first, for my birthday, is a bit fuzzier with time but as usual the gnocchi *which I still can't spell* was terrific. Mr. BLB had the fried fish plate with the skate wing and cod. Very tasty. The cookie plates are featuring two caramels and we got two to take home and Frank also very generously sent up a plate of goodies for my birthday, with more caramels. I'd sell my soul for those caramels. Jerome provided terrific service.

Two Saturday's ago, I took a good friend back to Palena for dinner. This was the night after our Central blowout and Don had posted about the liver and toast that morning. Since we had sampled the faux gras at Central we had to sample the liver at Palena. Both were incredibly rich and flavorful but there was too much something (probably pepper) for me in the Palena version. It burned my tongue. We split braised rabbit from the cafe menu, the beet ravioli and the chatham cod. And the chocolate almond cake. Everything was a hit but the spinach dumplings with the cod were the highlight of the evening for me. I could have had an entire meal from those.

We ate at the bar--we arrived at 5:34 and the line was to the Exxon station. We just missed getting a table but that was fine--it was quite fun to sit at the bar and watch Scott handle the chaos with grace. At one point he, Mallick (spelling?), Kelly and a young man washing barware were all behind the bar. The number of martini classes they went through was mind blowing.

I don't know if my friend calculated the points or not. She almost always does--no matter how big the meal we've had. I should ask.

I really do miss living down the street from Palena...

Jennifer

Sometimes expectations can just be a bit too high.

I have been planning on checking out the cafe for a year or so now, but worries about standing around waiting for a table kept me away (good for the restaurant, not so much for me). But, a rainy Wednesday night when I know that I could be there right at 5:30 was the perfect opportunity for me to check it out.

The space is great, very comfortable, simple, not too overbearing, good buzz when it starts to get packed as the night goes on.

The service was superb, the perfect balance of attentive and not too obtrusive, very helpful without being too in your face, I loved it.

But, we all come for the food, don't we? On that account, they did a very good job, but I think that they fell a bit short of perfection, which is what I kind of expected (whether fair or not).

Now, my sazerac WAS perfection, best I have had in a long time. I can't say the same for my friend's drink - some concoction of pear vodka and lime juice - which we didn't enjoy, but I warned her before ordering it that we wouldn't like it. The wine list was well thought out and reasonably priced, maybe a bit too French for me, but that is only my personal taste. I can't remember exactly what we had, but a relatively light red from Italy was a perfect choice for the night.

We started with the burger (medium rare) and some tilefish from North Carolina that they were serving. The burger was great, although I still find it a step behind Central (even though it is messy) and Charlie Palmer (even though it can be a tad inconsistent). The tilefish was perfectly cooked and paired well with the artichokes, but something was missing, a bit more flavor was needed. The roasted chicken came later on and was good, teetering on great, but fell a bit short because the skin wasn't crisp enough. The chocolate coconut cake for dessert was divine, the apple cake less so (my mom's version spoils this for me almost every time). The cookie plate, which we ordered to go, has yet to be touched, so I can't report on that just yet, but it looks damn good.

With tax and tip, I think it came to about $175. Now, anyone can eat there for cheaper, and I am sure that most do, but even though it was the cafe, it was well worth the money.

Overall, the experience was great and I will go back again and again, it just must be tough to live up to such lofty expectations.

Overall, the experience was great and I will go back again and again, it just must be tough to live up to such lofty expectations.
I think the cafe is a lot better when you mix in a course or two from the dining room menu. These dishes can be ordered a la carte and the pricing for the first and second course is similar to the cafe menu. For me, this is where the really good stuff is---like the gnocchi and the terrines.

;) I brought my family from New Jersey there...................we were MORE than disappointed. The menu was limited, the food, less than mediocre, and the service...mediocre. We will never return there again and I wonder when I pass the place why it is still in business?? Previous reputation plus present product does NOT equal success.

I disagree with your rating........sorry.

Laurenti

;) I brought my family from New Jersey there...................we were MORE than disappointed. The menu was limited, the food, less than mediocre, and the service...mediocre. We will never return there again and I wonder when I pass the place why it is still in business?? Previous reputation plus present product does NOT equal success.

I disagree with your rating........sorry.

Laurenti

Please give more details than that. What was it that you specifically did not like? Thanks!

[Hi Laurenti,

Especially given that this was your first post here, you'll need to provide markedly more substance as to what it was that you didn't like. For example, why do you think the menu was limited? What was "less than mediocre" about the food - was it the ingredients, the execution, or both? I don't mean to single you out, but you stormed into this forum, and anonymously trashed an almost-universally respected restaurant without any supporting detail whatsoever, and I'm afraid that's not gonna fly. By all means, disagree with the consensus - but please disagree responsibly.

Cheers, and welcome to the website.

Rocks.]

no bueno laurenti! I ate in the dining room tonight and it was amazing as always! I have not been there to eat in a year, but it always keeps me on my toes! Frog legs? I don't usually love them, but i did tonight. Not to mention the porchetta as well as the gnocchi! love it!

no bueno laurenti! I ate in the dining room tonight and it was amazing as always! I have not been there to eat in a year, but it always keeps me on my toes! Frog legs? I don't usually love them, but i did tonight. Not to mention the porchetta as well as the gnocchi! love it!

How were the frog's legs cooked, and did you take advantage of the loophole in French Dining Etiquette to eat them with your fingers (obviously only the case if they're served on the bone)?

How were the frog's legs cooked, and did you take advantage of the loophole in French Dining Etiquette to eat them with your fingers (obviously only the case if they're served on the bone)?

I love frog legs, too and would love to know the specific preparation....

Also, does anyone know of any dishes at this moment that might include Shad Roe at Palena? Tis the season and I was just wondering if I need to drop what I am doing and run there immediately.

Finally made it to Palena on Friday night with the boyfriend, who knew that I wanted to eat there before moving and suggested it for our date night. We arrived at around 6:30 and were seated immediately in the cafe. Ordering drinks was easy (beer for boyfriend, chenin blanc for me), but food represented a much harder decision! As much as we were tempted to order from the main restaurant menu, we decided to stick with the cafe fare and then come back at a later date and sit in the dining room.

Boyfriend ordered the burger (rare), I ordered the black grouper (with potatoes, veggies, and a lemon sauce), and we split the fry plate. The burger was tasty, and the bun was the best I've ever had, but unfortunately the meat came out closer to medium. Based on it being overcooked, boyfriend ranked the burger an 8 out of 10. Still pretty high marks--I can only imagine how good it would be if it was a little less done. The grouper was delicious and very light. And the fry plate? Oh. My. GAWD. The classic french fries were wonderfully crispy on the outside, yet still tender on the inside. The onion rings had the perfect thin coating, and the dauphine (spelling?) potatoes were unlike anything I've ever had before. I didn't know what to think of the fried lemon slices at first, but they were really refreshing and unique.

Dessert was cannoli and the cookie platter. The former was very good, but the latter was just divine. Do they make them all in-house? Every item on the plate was delectable, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be a tie between the caramel (texture and flavor were divine) and the brittle (I think it was almond). Yummy in my tummy.

My biggest complaint about the evening is that I felt we were being rushed out. I know the cafe is busy, and maybe the brusqueness was just our server's style, but it was a little unpleasant to feel like the clock was ticking. Next time I'll make sure to do better on my part to request a more leisurely experience. Other than that, though, Palena was a hit--I hope to return before my departure.

Spring is in the air at Palena. I think it's horribly trite to describe food as (insert season here) on a plate, but their consomme was the essence of spring last night. The broth was loaded with morels, nettles, a quail egg, fava beans and a couple of other things I can't remember. Really great flavors. Fava beans also made a cameo in a nice saute of frog's legs with little mushrooms and baby onions. Service was exceptional as always and we left happy as we always do.