Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

there was also a fat-rimmed stuffed suckling pig on a recent monday night, though not as elaborate as something you would roast with a bicycle chain contraption. the monday night cafe-only menu is more interesting and heartier than you might expect, with soups and pastas carried over from the regular menu and a page of entrees, including the pig and fish. and you can get house-made bacon on the burger. you are also free to wander into the back room.

I had this soup the other night and couldn't get over how good it was. Spring/early summer in a surprisingly complex, well-conceived bowl.

If there is a consomme or other broth-y soup on the menu, I am a sucker to order it. Chef Ruta captures the essence of whatever season it is in a bowl, just like you said. A triumph!

ANC3C has received notice (contents included below) from Palena requesing a substantial change to their alcohol license to expand into the former Magruder space and to add summer garden seating.

The ANC3C04 Commissioner would normally address this matter on behalf of the Commission. However, that position is currently vacant. Therefore, I have volunteered to work with any citizens in this and the surrounding single member districts.

At the moment I do not have information on whether or not Palena will be providing validated parking in the adjacent lot. As soon as I get the answer, I will inform the community.

Please let me know if you have any concerns about or comments on this application.

Thank you

Leila Afzal

ANC3C05

Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration

Notice Of Public Hearing

Petition Date: November 16, 2009

Hearing Date: November 30, 2009

Trade Name: Palena

License Class: Retail Class "C" Restaurant

Address: 3529 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.

Ward 3 ANC 3C SMD 3C04

Notice is hereby given that this licensee has applied for a substantial change to his license under the D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Act and that the objectors are entitled to be heard before the granting of such on the hearing date at 10:00 am, 7th Floor, Suite 7200, 941 North Capitol Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002. Petition and/or request to appear before the Board must be filed on or before the petition date.

The licensee requests to expand the licensed premises to the adjacent space increasing its interior capacity by 60 new seats for a total of 169 seats and a Summer Garden with 36 seats.

Summer garden hours of operation and sales/service/consumption of alcoholic beverages: Monday through Saturday 5:30 pm – 11:30 pm.

ANC3C has received notice (contents included below) from Palena requesing a substantial change to their alcohol license to expand into the former Magruder space and to add summer garden seating.

Heh. I had a chat with Frank last week, and I just had to slip in the question ... 'so, what's with all these [garbled word] rumors I've been hearing?' He just gave his world-famous "aw shucks" expression, looked downward for a moment, and somehow managed not to answer - that was my cue not to ask a second time. :(

Heh. I had a chat with Frank last week, and I just had to slip in the question ... 'so, what's with all these [garbled word] rumors I've been hearing?' He just gave his world-famous "aw shucks" expression, looked downward for a moment, and somehow managed not to answer - that was my cue not to ask a second time. :(

We were there two months ago and asked the same question to Kelly, and she did her own rendition of the 'gee i don't know...' ;-) We were hopeful, and now are even more. But still, even if it doesn't happen, I will not be mad. I love Palena.

And DonRocks, I now hate you. You got to actually talk to Frank. If I ever got to talk to the guy I think I'd drop to the floor and do my best I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

We were there two months ago and asked the same question to Kelly, and she did her own rendition of the 'gee i don't know...' ;-) We were hopeful, and now are even more. But still, even if it doesn't happen, I will not be mad. I love Palena.

And DonRocks, I now hate you. You got to actually talk to Frank. If I ever got to talk to the guy I think I'd drop to the floor and do my best I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2009/10/01/palena-hopes-to-expand-into-the-adjacent-magruders-space/

Palena moving into Magruder's old space...maybe.

I had dinner at Palena tonight and learned that the best restaurant in DC is in fact expanding into where Macgruder's used to be. Instead of simply offering more tables however, it appears that the new space will offer a different menu with more casual Italian-themed dishes such as pizza and pasta.

We were there the next day and the glass was already fixed....

We hit the front cafe and had the fry plate (as wonderful as ever), the sardines (from the back menu - Wow!), the chicken (rocking as always) and a stuffed rigatoni thing that was so simple but so freaking goood. There was another appetizer, too, I think it involved mushrooms...

Heading back again soon, to the back room.

I have been going to Palena now for, I don't know, 7, 8, maybe 9 years now. I still remember the first meal there was for my wife's birthday. One course that we got, Heirloom Tomatoes with Sardines, was about as simple as you can get, but extraordinary. Salt, some amazing olive oil and I am not sure what else. Chef Ruta, it all about bringing you something on the plate that is beautiful to look at, usually has an aroma that makes your salivary glands kick in to high gear, has food on the plate that tastes wonderful as separate components, but the *combination* of the things on the plate were and are always in Chef Ruta's mind. It's usually when you combine some or all of the items on that plate that you get the triple hat trick. Taste, texture, smell, the balance of the dish. This is why I keep coming back over and over and over again.

My wife recently got a promotion at work. We wanted to come here to celebrate. We actually wanted to come last week (and did, to the cafe, but really that was just the preamble). But I'd called in the hopes that some matsutake mushrooms might be on the menu. Having sated our Palena jonesling last week, we looked forward to the possibility of some matsutake, but would be very happy even if there were none on the menu. So, we came, we saw, we ate the matsutake, and a whole lot more.

Below is a list of what we had and what I thought about them. It's rare that a dining experience can be good, more rare is very good, even more rare to be great or excellent, and the experiences I have had that I would call extraordinary or mind-blowing or otherwise insanely amazingly wonderful are precious few. This meal, Chef Ruta was firing on all cylinders. He rarely has dishes that are just good or very good, they are almost always great. But these were all so, so good, I just had to get on here and rave.

Salad of Roasted and Shaved Raw Beets, Watermelon Radish and Maine Lobster (with Zesty greens, horseradish, cumin and lime)

This dish was all about the interplay of the greens, the beets and the lobster, all pulled together with the dressing, particularly the cumin. The cumin warmed your mouth and provided an exotic aroma to the whole thing. And the textural differences between everything on the plate made you want to try to get a little of each element on to your fork for every bite. And it was sucha beautiful plate to just look at, too. Frank sure does also know how to season a dish and the dressing of a salad. Spot on. Wonderful dish.

Foie Gras Terrine (with salad of wild Scottish red leg partridge, spinach, hazelnuts and dates)

This was another dish of textures and flavor combinations. The terrine itself was superb, perfectly executed and the top of the slice with the layer of fat that just makes you want to swoon, with the tiny crystal bits of salt deftly placed in all the right spots. The hazelnuts provided the textural counterplay along with the moist, tender and tasty partidge while the dates and spinach helpd provide a framework for the rest of the dish and additional balance. I could have eaten far, far more of this.

Fall Consomme (Flavorful clear broth with matsutake and maitake mushrooms, wood pigeon raviolini and slivers of foie gras)

There are many things that I am a sucker for when I see a given thing on a menu. Sweetbreads, octopus (particularly smoked, or grilled, or both), frog legs and lot more. But one of the things on the top of this list is ANY consomme from Palena. Any. I was blown away by my first such experience and I have almost without fail ordered this whenever I see it on the menu at Palena. I almost didn't order this because my wife wanted to try it (particularly because of the mushrooms) and we have a general rule where we try never to both order the very same dish at any restaurant, but especially so at Palena. But I am so glad that we both ordered our own bowls (yes we went for 5 courses each, oof!). This iteration was nothing short of heavenly. I have no idea how Chef Ruta and his team figure out how to pack so much flavor in something so simple as a clear broth, but he does it every time. You can see all of the ingredients in the list, but what is missing are the various veggie bits in there, green beans, little tiny soybeans (I think), various green leafy bits and other herbs I am sure. But what is so hard, even in a regular non-soup type dish is to create the textural play between all of the elements and he nailed it again. They must have folks sitting back there figuring out what element to add to the broth precisely when and in what order so as to have everything completed cooking to the right point so that when you eat it, everything is precisely as it should be. He's a mad genius. And the aroma. I am HAUNTED by that aroma. It visits me in my dreams from time to time, very often the night I am sleeping off another Palena-fest. My gosh this is desert island good. This is my last meal before the electrocute me good.

Sweet Potato Tortelli (with our rabbit sausage, local asian pears scented with Moroccan spices and almond emulsion)

I got enough of this in a taste from my wife's plate to make me stop for a minute, maybe two, just to keep chewing the combination of everything she gave me. I am not a fan of sweet potatoes, but if all sweet potatoes came to me in this manner, I think I would be a strong proponent for this tuber. Wow. The pears and the sausage provided the texture here, but this dish was more about the flavor combinations, particularly with any bite that had a bit of that rabbit sausage. When there is anything on the Palena menu that says 'own own', 'house made', 'house cured', etc, etc it also becomes a strong draw to me, because the magic junk that Ruta and his team sprinkle in to and on to these house created things just grabs so, slowly as a tease and then is pours on a bit more a bit faster a bit better until you find yourself conciously slowing yourself down to try not to gorge on it so you can stay in PalenaDreamLand just a bit longer.

Lightly Smoked Shoat (milk fed pork shoulder, braised then roasted, with matsutake mushrooms and tomato condiment)

Nice baby piggie. Made smoked, braised, roasted, you name it. Served as a rectangular cube like structure, tearing it down seemed almost criminal until doing so and creating my own puulled prok, revealed such a find piggy porky aroma I just about fell in to my plate. The matsutake mushrooms were cut a bit thicker this time than the slivers in the consomme, and appears to have been sauteed and seared at the same time. I have no idea how it was done, but the flavors of the mushrrom, alone, were layered by this process and provided a perfect match up to the pork. The tomato condiment was almost like a mini bruschetta thing that, when cut in to little bits and taken with the port and matsutake (alone or together) provided the additional balance and texture that is the hallmark of Chef Ruta's style in my opinion. Another one hit out the park.

Dover Sole Filet (Braised with Calabrian tomato and saffron, with polenta of locally milled corn, zucchini and button mushroom)

Dove Sole is a sucker item on almost any menu for my wife. She's had it many times in many ways, but having it braised was a new preparation for her, and for me. It's hard enough to get a fish properly cooked, and I am sure Dover Sole is no different, but to braise it and not overpower it, to me, seems even more difficult. I think you'd be able to keep it moist by braising, sure, which is a usual failure at executing a fish dish properly, but to get the fish done properly without the other braising elements overly expressing themselves and crowding out the glory that is Dover Sole is a mystery to me. But not to Chef Ruta and his team. Fresh, yet decadent, more haunting smells from the broth around the base of really wonderful polenta was just outstanding.

New York State Humanely Raised Veal (Loin wrapped in pancetta and pan roasted, the breast braised with paprika and piquillo pepper)

The table next to us was joking about the 'humanely raised' part of the dish title here, saying 'I never feel bad about eating veal, I mean, the little guy is already dead, I am making sure none of him goes to waste...' Well, no matter what your position is on veal, how it is raised, and whether this veal was humanely raised or not, this dish was amazing. Perfect bits of loin were executed perfectly with such a thin veneer of pancetta that made you wonder how it got sliced so thin. It added the flavor you wanted, while protecting the loin at the same time, without ever sticking out its nose too far in the loins business. The breast was fall apart decadence on a fork with extra flavors and smells that just make you wish you had more of it to eat....and a second stomach. I think there may have also been a tiny cipollini onion on the plate to provide texture and balance. So, so good.

Ricotta Cheesecake with pistacchio and other nuts with a nice sauce

Sorry, we forgot to getthis part of the menu in our doggie bag so the description is a bit lacking. But the cake was so light, yet so flavorful, it makes you scratch your head how you can have both in the same pite. The nuts involved more than pistacchios, too, I think hazelnuts and maybe even a tiny bit of pepper made an appearance here as well. Simply delicious, and so good.

Plum Brioche Tart with Cinnamon Ice Cream and Whipped Cream

I think I actually had this last week as well, but I love plums, so ordering it again was not a crime at all. Delivered as a long ways cut of a pan-cake (pie-cake) with enough of the crusty edge to counter the decadent, rich and sweet tart of the plums is swoon-worthy. So freaking good.

Call me what you will. A Palena Priest. Palena Prophet. A blind Palena lover like no other. Whatever you want. It's true, or probably anyway. I love going to other restaurants. High end, low end, taco trucks, voodoo donuts, parlors of offal like Cecchino 1887, diners, shacks, delis, bistros, joints, BBQ, brasseires, and more. I love all food and I will keep eating it, all of it, everywhere, anytime and anyhow. I love it love it love it. But, to me, and perhaps only to me (and my wife), there is nothing like the experience we have when coming home, yes, that home which is Palena. It's like wandering back in to Firenze after too long a time, like wandering in to smell a freshly baked apple pie that is cooling on the counter. Palena is nothing short of my benchmark to compare all food experiences, noble and high to low and slow and all points in between -- yeah, it's my benchmark.

There are many, many places that I consider wonderful and amazing, but I am never as challenged, impressed, taken aback, surprised, delighted, and otherwise sated in such a gastronomic and friendly way as I am at Palena. From Chef Ruta's evil geniosity, his team's execution, Kelly's warm welcomes, the waitstaff's remembering just who the hell we are even if it has been too long an absence for us all adds to the experience.

So, carry on about your day. May all of your days and nights be filled with memories as strong, deeply rooted and wonderful as my and my wife's experiences at Palena. Happy eating!

PS: We also got a couple of extra desserts (concord grape sorbetto, wow! and a doggie bag of cookies and caramels), to load up on. Too full!

PPS: Oh and the 2002 Kistler Pinot Noir Cuvee Catherine was outstanding. One of the best pinots I have ever had.

Call me what you will. A Palena Priest. Palena Prophet. A blind Palena lover like no other. Whatever you want. It's true, or probably anyway. I love going to other restaurants. High end, low end, taco trucks, voodoo donuts, parlors of offal like Cecchino 1887, diners, shacks, delis, bistros, joints, BBQ, brasseires, and more. I love all food and I will keep eating it, all of it, everywhere, anytime and anyhow. I love it love it love it. But, to me, and perhaps only to me (and my wife), there is nothing like the experience we have when coming home, yes, that home which is Palena. It's like wandering back in to Firenze after too long a time, like wandering in to smell a freshly baked apple pie that is cooling on the counter. Palena is nothing short of my benchmark to compare all food experiences, noble and high to low and slow and all points in between -- yeah, it's my benchmark.

There are many, many places that I consider wonderful and amazing, but I am never as challenged, impressed, taken aback, surprised, delighted, and otherwise sated in such a gastronomic and friendly way as I am at Palena. From Chef Ruta's evil geniosity, his team's execution, Kelly's warm welcomes, the waitstaff's remembering just who the hell we are even if it has been too long an absence for us all adds to the experience.

Great post pool boy. And I feel compelled to echo your sentiments. This long weekend I was in NYC and on back to back nights had the prix fixe dinners at Eleven Madison Park and Blue Hill at Stone Barn. While both were outstanding (though IMO EMP much more so), I walked out of both thinking "Great, but the food at Palena is better." We are truly blessed to have one of the world's great chefs cooking his butt off six night a week in Cleveland Park. A final note on my trip, which also included stops at Minetta Tavern, Momofuku, Katz's, and The Little Owl - do not miss Andrew Carmellini's cooking at Locanda Verde (in the Greenwich Hotel in Tribeca). I had a fabulous Brunch there Saturday, after 2 spectacular dinners there the past 2 months. The service is crisp and the setting is casual but stunning.

Fall Consomme (Flavorful clear broth with matsutake and maitake mushrooms, wood pigeon raviolini and slivers of foie gras)

There are many things that I am a sucker for when I see a given thing on a menu. Sweetbreads, octopus (particularly smoked, or grilled, or both), frog legs and lot more. But one of the things on the top of this list is ANY consomme from Palena. Any. I was blown away by my first such experience and I have almost without fail ordered this whenever I see it on the menu at Palena. I almost didn't order this because my wife wanted to try it (particularly because of the mushrooms) and we have a general rule where we try never to both order the very same dish at any restaurant, but especially so at Palena. But I am so glad that we both ordered our own bowls (yes we went for 5 courses each, oof!). This iteration was nothing short of heavenly. I have no idea how Chef Ruta and his team figure out how to pack so much flavor in something so simple as a clear broth, but he does it every time. You can see all of the ingredients in the list, but what is missing are the various veggie bits in there, green beans, little tiny soybeans (I think), various green leafy bits and other herbs I am sure. But what is so hard, even in a regular non-soup type dish is to create the textural play between all of the elements and he nailed it again. They must have folks sitting back there figuring out what element to add to the broth precisely when and in what order so as to have everything completed cooking to the right point so that when you eat it, everything is precisely as it should be. He's a mad genius. And the aroma. I am HAUNTED by that aroma. It visits me in my dreams from time to time, very often the night I am sleeping off another Palena-fest. My gosh this is desert island good. This is my last meal before the electrocute me good.

<snip>

So, carry on about your day. May all of your days and nights be filled with memories as strong, deeply rooted and wonderful as my and my wife's experiences at Palena. Happy eating!

Now if someone could just come up with Michael Landrum's elegy to Frank Ruta's consomme, we would have a pair of perfect paeans to Palena. :(

After wanting to visit Palena for months, I finally headed over for an early dinner in the cafe tonight. Dave (Rovers2000)and I went about trying probably the two most talked about dishes on the cafe menu - the burger and the chicken - as well as a few others, and while I'm sure he'll voice his opinion soon enough, I think it's safe to say that we were both quite impressed.

After reading so much about Chef Ruta's proficiency when it comes to soups, I knew that I just had to order one off of the dining room menu. Two were on offer: the Fall Consomme that Pool Boy detailed, and a Chestnut Soup. I went the Chestnut route (but failed to take notes on the menu, so I can't quite remember what the components were, other than black trumpet mushrooms and celery confit, I believe), but thanks to a slight mistake on our bartender's part, I was lucky enough to try both of the soups. I made almost exactly the same statement as Pool Boy after trying the consomme:

I have no idea how Chef Ruta and his team figure out how to pack so much flavor in something so simple as a clear broth

I simply couldn't believe how much flavor there was in that broth, as well as how much detail went into every dimension of the dish. However, the Chestnut Soup surpassed it in my book: while not as complex in terms of appearance, I simply loved the rich flavor of the chestnut, especially when coupled with the mushrooms scattered throughout the soup, and the foam layered over top.

Dave went for the Fry Plate, and I was struck by how well each and every component was fried. The onion rings had an extremely light, crispy batter that wowed me; the dauphine potatoes were crisp on the outside yet so surprisingly fluffy within that they collapsed immediately when chewed; the french fries themselves were nice and crisp; and the lemons offered a nice bit of acid in between bites of the other options on the plate. If anything disappointed me, it was the "zippy mayonnaise," which I felt could have used quite a bit more zip.

Next up for me was Roasted Half Chicken. Was it worth the 45 minute wait? I'd say so - I literally brushed it with my knife, and before I could even attempt an incision, it was gushing juice. This was by far the most moist and juicy chicken I have ever consumed. Additionally, whatever brine they used generated a really nice flavor, and a skin that was pretty crispy (I would have liked a bit more crispness, but I think achieving that might have sacrificed some of the juiciness). The greens that the chicken was served over were quite nice as well. If I have one slight complaint, it would merely be that I would have liked to have been in a setting where I didn't feel obligated to battle that chicken in such a refined manner (with a knife and fork) - by the end the only way to really get at the last delicious bites would have been to dive in hands first, and I didn't go quite that far.

And of course, there's the burger, which Dave went for. I got a portion of it, and all I can say is that I am committed to returning in order to get my own, especially after hearing the bartender talk about the expanded cafe menu available on Mondays that often includes variations on the burger (the one with house cured bacon has my name on it). It was cooked to the requested medium-rare, the meat was flavorful (and well-salted - I find a lack of salt is often one of the major downfalls of the burgers I've found disappointing in the past), the cheese was awesome, and the bun was perfect for standing up to the meat and all the juice it was releasing.

So, definitely a satisfying meal, and I'm eager to explore the menu further. Here are some pictures of the dishes, taken with my low-light hating iphone:

So as Gennaro and I were walking into Palena I actually said to him "I hope I haven't hyped this up so much to myself that it won't live up to my expectations". The lesson here, as always, is that I'm an idiot.

I knew going in that I wanted to try the burger so after the delivery of my Brooklyn Lager in went my order for the fry plate and burger. Before I jump into my thoughts on what I ordered, Gennaro was nice enough to let me sample both the chestnut soup and the consume and I agree with all the comments about the consume, simply put it was perfect in every way. EDIT: although thinking back, the slice of foie gras didn't really add anything (although, that simply could be a result of an unrefined palate on my part).

Next up was the plate of fried goodness that landed in front of me. I thought the thin crisp fries were perfect, the onion rings coated lightly in a tempura like batter, little dollops of fried mashed potatoes, but the star was the fried lemons (which were sliced very thin)...screw savoring these, I literally couldn't eat them fast enough they were so good and legitimately, I may ask for an entire order of them the next time I head to Palena.

In terms of the burger...well, it was everything I wanted it to be. Perfectly medium rare, not too much cheese, and a thin smear of mayonnaise and while the meat itself was not only perfectly cooked but perfectly seasoned I feel that the bun was what brought everything together. It stood up to the juicy burger extremely well, holding the excess moisture within its brioche goodness. After I cut a piece of it for Gennaro I literally mowed this thing down in about 5 minutes, simply b/c I couldn't make myself put it down.

So while it may have taken me 5 months to walk up the block and visit Palena, I can assure you that it won't be nearly as long until I'm back (esp. b/c the fried duck egg burger that the bartender was discussing with me sounds glorious...)

After wanting to visit Palena for months, I finally headed over for an early dinner in the cafe tonight. Dave (Rovers2000)and I went about trying probably the two most talked about dishes on the cafe menu - the burger and the chicken - as well as a few others,

So as Gennaro and I were walking into Palena I actually said to him "I hope I haven't hyped this up so much to myself that it won't live up to my expectations". The lesson here, as always, is that I'm an idiot.

I missed you two by one evening. Needing some comfort food, I also got the chicken, fry plate, and cheeseburger at Palena on Tuesday night.

The chicken is so honorable that I almost hate to interject my personal opinion, but I liked Palena's chicken better a few years ago. I yearn for more crispy skin, not so much for the crispiness (although that texture works well with the hyper-moist meat), but because that's where the melange of complex flavors is concentrated. If you're going after the breast meat, it really pays to be running a parallel operation with the wondrous chard-like greens underneath. This is still a great dish for $15, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first-timer, because there are so many other important things to try here.

Earlier in this thread, there was a firestorm of complaints about Palena's fries not being "crispy." I defended Frank Ruta's soft-fried potatoes with all my might, because that's exactly how he wanted them to be, and they were the loveliest things on the planet. I don't know the reason why Frank decided to (buckle under pressure and) go with crispy french fries, but they've certainly suffered for it. At the end of the night, the french fries were the only uneaten food item. As always, the fried lemon and dauphines potatoes were monsters, and as always, the onion rings were too big and dominant. The zippy mayonnaise this time around had a higher mayo-to-zip ratio, with a little more cubical clot than I'm comfortable with. It's still a great fry plate, but as with the chicken, it was better a few years ago.

The cheeseburger is as good as it has ever been, and to the best of my knowledge, no longer has a serious rival in the Best Of category (and perhaps never did). There was once a discussion about the bun being too big for the burger, and I vaguely recall Frank saying he preferred a big bun because he's a "bread dunker." The problem is that with this burger, there really isn't much to dunk it in, and so the top-half of the bun becomes a drying thorn on a plate of roses. The solution is not to make the bun smaller, but to cut it so the top part is much thinner, leaving the bottom to be the happy recipient of gravity's handywork. This remains the best hamburger I've ever eaten, and the flavors - seemingly unchanged over the years - are so comforting to me that I could happily have this dish as my last meal.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Scored an incredible holiday/early birthday gift for both of us (our birthdays are a month apart)...a gift certificate to Palena :angry: We are so looking forward to spending it! It's been too long since we've been there, I'll have to review the thread for some recent mouth-watering temptations.

I had major dish envy tonight. My meal was wonderful as always, although the gnocchi appearing as the third course listed, instead of its usual first spot on the second course page, gave me a bit of a fright that it wasn't on the menu. It was there though, and it was the usual bowl of soft pillows of goodness, topped tonight with salsify and mushrooms.

But the kabocha (sp?) squash and shitake mushroom soup was divine. Served with a Maine scallop and fried prosciutto, it was perfection in a bowl. Yet another example of Chef Ruta's brilliance.

A note for those around for the holidays-Palena will be closed from the 25th-28th. (They may be closed after NYE but I didn't read the whole sign.)

Since my husband and I had our first "date" at Aroma, we decided to schedule dinner and drinks in Cleveland Park while we were in town for our honeymoon. We actually rearranged other dinner reservations JUST so we could hit Palena on Saturday night, and it was absolutely, positively worth it. In fact, I can say without hesitation that Palena was the superlative meal of our entire jaunt to DC.

Of course the cafe was full when we got there just before 7 PM, and we were happy to wait for two spots at the bar (which took about an hour). While we waited, we talked with some lovely folks who happened to be regulars; truly, part of what was so magical about the evening was the friendly, communal atmosphere. I mean, it was so friendly and communal that one couple treated us to a round of drinks when they learned we were on our honeymoon, and another couple actually put their cookie plate in front of us and insisted that we share with them (OMG the caramels...). I guess that's the mark of a true neighborhood gem--it's a place where it really feels like home.

I started with the kabocha squash and mushroom soup, which was absolutely fantastic. I think I described it as magic in a bowl. Great flavor, great texture, and the HUGE diver scallop was perfectly cooked. The fry plate was a big hit, with the lemons being the clear winners (and while I disagree with Don about the french fries, I definitely agree on the onion rings--they were my least favorite of the bunch). My husband ordered a swordfish entree from the cafe menu, and it was light and tasty and cooked impeccably (not dry at all, as I find swordfish to be when not treated carefully). My roast chicken was superb--the skin was crispy, the flesh was moist and juicy, and the flavor was mind-boggling. I sat and chewed and drove myself crazy trying to figure out the herbs and spices that contributed to such a complex profile. Jeff, our bartender, just smiled and told some funny stories about how big of a secret the recipe is. Service was exceptional.

The cocktails were lovely, the wines were lovely, and the cookies were lovely (even the ones that didn't get eaten till the next day). When my husband saw the bill at the end of our nearly three hour dinner, he gasped, "That's ALL????" Truly, I can't think of a better value in the city.

We were gluttons tonight at Palena.. but we hadn't been in over 3 months though so I think it was warranted. We had the kombucha squash and shitake mushroom soup (with diver scallop and prosciutto), totally amazing - if its on the menu, get it. So complex and just delicious. Then we split the yellowtail seviche (with blood orange, toasted coconut, and some greens and other things I've forgotten) - also great. Then we split (you do realize they do this, don't you? Yep, no problem at all, they split it and you'd never even guess it was a half portion) the cafe salad - long been a favorite of ours, the combo of hazelnuts and different varieties of beets is perfect. THEN we split the burger (medium) and the fry plate, mainstays for us. Oh yes, and then we had the hazelnut chocolate cake - I'm a sucker for a hazelnut-choco combination - AND the (aforementioned gluttons) cookie and caramel plate......... A wonderful evening. Thanks Jeff!

oh for the love of all that is holy, I didn't need to confirm that often-stated notion about how good the burger is.

lovely *lovely* evening last night. and not a single disapproving look from the staff when my friend and I couldn't stop our spirited conversation even though everyone was finishing up for the end of the night. thanks, really. we all hate being the last people there, right??

I hadn't eaten off the cafe menu before and have that sinking feeling that I'll be having more than a few solo dinners at the bar.

I took my father there for dinner last night and had the stuffed veal neck on the cafe menu. Yet another example of why Ruta rocks. I'm not sure what all was in it, but it had an almost ham-like quality with a ton of extra depth. The exquisitely carved artichoke heart on the side was the cherry on top.

It had been waaaaay too long since I'd darkened their door.

The place was hopping last night and after ordering a couple of glasses of wine we were able to score 2 bar seats for dinner before a table opened up. We ordered 3 delicious dishes, penne with polpetine, pot au feu de veau, and coq au vin of chicken leg.

The clear stand out was the pot au feu, veal tongue, shank(?), and veal stuffed raviolini all with some winter vegetables in a flavorful veal broth.

The baba au rhum is a delicious dessert and is served with some roasted pineapple and a scoop of pineapple sorbet. I did not get to try the ricotta cheesecake that was served with stewed fruit, but it disappeared pretty quickly.

Dishes like we had make me realize that I need to return more frequently.

The place was hopping last night and after ordering a couple of glasses of wine we were able to score 2 bar seats for dinner before a table opened up. We ordered 3 delicious dishes, penne with polpetine, pot au feu de veau, and coq au vin of chicken leg.

You know when it wasn't hopping? Valentine's Day. You could walk into the cafe and have no wait anytime through 9 pm. It was unreal! I guess folks either didn't realize they were open on a Sunday night because they aren't usually or weren't willing to risk going out on VDay without a reservation, but it was without a doubt our best Valentine's Day out ever. The burger was better than ever. I love that they aren't afraid to serve medium rare on the rare side and I love that they're always willing to split things for us. Actually, I love everything about the cafe and treat it like it's my neighborhood restaurant even though we live nowhere near it.

so this evening we told the always charming kelly that we almost moved to cleveland park just so we could have palena as our neighbourhood joint. she found this to be the supremest form of flattery; we were not kidding.

That is my dream as well. If only the houses there were not so expensive. OY!

Any news on their possible expansion?

Fabulous dinner in the back room, the best dish was something called lobster and dumplings.

It turns out to be a light tomato based broth, with vegetables, minced fish balls and a couple of chunks of lobster. The broth and the fish dumplings were fantastic and again I am reminded of a Vietnamese dish - it's a soup I've had a couple of times at Present called Bun Rieu. I would love to sample the two at the same time to see which I like better - in any case, they're both terrific.

Eric,

What else was good on Saturday? I am meeting someone for dinner in the cafe tonight so I was looking for some other standouts.

Both the quail breast (comes with a few slices of cold-cuts) and rabbit porchetta (with a side of chicken salad) were excellent starters. Annie had some gnocchi while I was sucking down my soup (the lobster meat itself was overcooked, I took only one bite). We finished off with stuffed breast of shoat for me and some kind of roast chicken for Annie. All the dishes tasted wonderful (and were perfectly cooked, the meats were all tender and juicy) but the only thing that really stands out to me was the lobster soup (which is not a bisque nor a bouillabaisse, but lighter). You wouldn't get both the quail breast and the rabbit porchetta unless you're sharing. 3 mains were more than enough food for us, especially since I love downing charchuterie with bread (we took some of the chicken home). Regardless of the parking issue, I need to come back more often.

artichoke soup on monday's all-cafe menu, creamy and frothy with lemony buttons of preserved artichoke. and artichoke leaning up against a small block of rock fish, and a baby artichoke salad. stinging nettles showed up as well, in the pasta, making the short haul from arlington. a plus on mondays is that you can add bacon to your cheeseburger.

According to a reliable source (her own Twitter feed), Ruth Reichl headed to Palena after her Smithsonian appearance last Monday, and ate roast chicken. Based on my own observation, she probably went there with Joe Yonan and Joan Nathan, who were hanging around the book signing table, waiting for her to finish.

Skin crisp, golden. So crisp. Flesh soft, sweet, slick, fragrant. The simplicity of great roast chicken. Last night. Palena. DC.

4:15 AM Apr 13th via TweetDeck

According to a reliable source (her own Twitter feed), Ruth Reichl headed to Palena after her Smithsonian appearance last Monday, and ate roast chicken. Based on my own observation, she probably went there with Joe Yonan and Joan Nathan, who were hanging around the book signing table, waiting for her to finish.

Zora, you're right: click (towards the bottom)

artichoke soup on monday's all-cafe menu, creamy and frothy with lemony buttons of preserved artichoke. and artichoke leaning up against a small block of rock fish, and a baby artichoke salad. stinging nettles showed up as well, in the pasta, making the short haul from arlington. a plus on mondays is that you can add bacon to your cheeseburger.

Thanks for the tips re: Mondays. For some reason I'd forgotten they were doing this. That food sounds sublime.

Say hi next time. :lol:

The spinach raviolini with morels and a poached egg in consommé was the best thing I've eaten since... since...

...since the last time I ate at Palena.

Say hi next time. :lol:

The spinach raviolini with morels and a poached egg in consommé was the best thing I've eaten since... since...

...since the last time I ate at Palena.

I had that on Friday night and I thought it was good. But the house cured ham with asparagus and goat cheese was probably the best thing I had eaten since my previous visit to Palena.

I miss living just blocks away from Palena...

I had both the spinach raviolini, morel mushroom, and poached egg consomme and the house cured ham with asparagus and goat cheese last night, as well as the baby artichoke w/cheese tart and the roast chicken (I was hungry). Everything was spectacular but that damn consomme brought tears to my eyes and a chorus of "oh my gods" from my dining companion - at least 20, as well as an "I could bathe in this stuff". If there is a better consomme on the planet I have yet to taste it. God bless Frank Ruta and Palena.