Palena, 2007 James Beard Award Winner Frank Ruta Rocks Cleveland Park - Closed on Apr 26, 2014

We went to Palena Saturday night for my birthday. The food is as fantastic as ever and the service was superb. Efficient, friendly and not obtrusive. I also appreciate the fact that they allow me to bring wine (for a $20 a bottle corkage fee.) I don't see that the construction/planned expansion has affected them at all. Still one of the best meals in DC and for what you get, the price is more than reasonable.

ate on Palena on Friday night, great food as always. Of note however is as we talked to our waiter about the expansion he mentioned the possibility of a pizza oven in the new expansion. No other details than that. Not sure if it was wishful thinking or if something will become of this.

Edit: I see someone mentioned this back in October. Sorry about bringing old news.

i have eaten a whole flock of chickens at palena over the years, but the chicken i had last weekend was the best cooked chicken i have ever had here. the brining was subtle, the meat absolutely cooked to perfection, juicy and tender with a range of chicken flavors.

i would opt for the chicken over the burger any day of the week, but my wife doesn't feel that way, which explains why she has eaten, well, probably not a herd of cattle, but a lot of beef at palena. I usually get a taste, and the burger this week was the best i have ever had here. it had to be the best in town. for me, there is often too much salt in the burger; this time the seasoning was exactly right.

spring brings on some of the best dishes at palena, and there's a lot to choose from. served in a crayfish consomme, i put the spinach raviolini in the soup category, which is one of the kitchen's most notable strengths. the pasta are the size of square postage stamps, perforated at the edge, supple and packed with flavor. asparagus, fava beans and morels make a delicious seasonal appearance (although i have been mostly disappointed by the character of the morels you find at the market these days, especially considering their price; it could be just my worn-out taste buds, but there is something missing, here too). you often hit solitary notes in the small dishes, and a licorice tarragon was one of them. bringing the whole thing together is a poached egg that blossoms into the clear liquid when you release the yolk, which adds a dimension of texture and flavor to a bowl that starts out calm and composed and then intensifies.

strawberries are now on the menu. they are teamed up with rouget, if i am not mistaken, in the second-course options, and i have vaguely happy memories of that dish from a year ago. a soft-crusted lattice pie with rhubarb shows strawberries at their best, accompanied by a sweet splay of the berries and a few drops of balsamic vinegar set in a mint-shaped dollop of cream.

spring brings on some of the best dishes at palena, and there's a lot to choose from. served in a crayfish consomme, i put the spinach raviolini in the soup category, which is one of the kitchen's most notable strengths. the pasta are the size of square postage stamps, perforated at the edge, supple and packed with flavor. asparagus, fava beans and morels make a delicious seasonal appearance (although i have been mostly disappointed by the character of the morels you find at the market these days, especially considering their price; it could be just my worn-out taste buds, but there is something missing, here too). you often hit solitary notes in the small dishes, and a licorice tarragon was one of them. bringing the whole thing together is a poached egg that blossoms into the clear liquid when you release the yolk, which adds a dimension of texture and flavor to a bowl that starts out calm and composed and then intensifies.

I had this dish last night, and it was as described. I wonder, however, if the egg yolk defeats the aesthetic of the consomme, which should be about intensity through the crystalline clarity of flavors. The egg added a measure of richness and texture, yes, but was it at a certain cost?

I had this dish last night, and it was as described. I wonder, however, if the egg yolk defeats the aesthetic of the consomme, which should be about intensity through the crystalline clarity of flavors. The egg added a measure of richness and texture, yes, but was it at a certain cost?

don't break the egg until you've had enough clarity is my advice. however, my yolk settled slowly and didn't totally take over; there was still enough clear consomme to be had around the edges of the bowl. i was intrigued, actually, by how the two different consistencies worked into each other, not all or nothing, with in-between spots.

Paula and I had a wonderful meal in the back room last week to celebrate her birthday. Peas and mushrooms play heavily on the menu at Palena these days. While everything was delicious, the following dishes should not be missed.

Spring Pea and Pistachio Gazpacho - wonderful. Olive oil brought out all of the flavors of the peas and the pistachios.

Mushroom soup

Potato and Nettle Gnocchi

Pici - fat spaghetti with duck confit. A tad too much salt, but otherwise, a wonderful dish.

While everything was delicious, the following dishes should not be missed.

Spring Pea and Pistachio Gazpacho - wonderful. Olive oil brought out all of the flavors of the peas and the pistachios.

Mushroom soup

Potato and Nettle Gnocchi

Pici - fat spaghetti with duck confit. A tad too much salt, but otherwise, a wonderful dish.

i would add the cucumber bavaroise, a light and creamy slice of the pureed vegetable topped with a mint gelatin, heading toward an aspic. i've already forgotten the accompaniments even though it was a few days ago, although i am certain they were good, but this is the best presentation of cucumber you would ever hope to eat -- a veritable creamsicle, unfrozen, with an unlikely ingredient shining through. the depth of cucumber flavor, as far as it goes, is quite unexpected, coming largely from its juxtaposition with the cream, which is sweet-bellied.

We just got a phone call from Palena cancelling our reservation tonight (our anniversary) due to a power outage. I've been dreaming of that gnocchi - we'll have to make a reservation another time! I wonder if all of Cleveland Park is affected, or just Palena.

That sucks, man. I had reservations set up for a bunch of us at Brasserie Beck the night of my bachelor party (most of us being insane beer geeks as well as food snobs) and had the exact thing happen. We showed up to a near dark place that was just getting the last customers out before they shut their doors for the night at 7 PM. It blows, but what are you gonna do? It's not like it's the restaurants fault.

I hope you get your Palena fix soon. That's some crazy good gnocchi.

Hubby and I had another superlative meal at Palena while we were in town last week. The most remarkable part of the experience was the service - not only was Jeff attentive, knowledgeable, and funny, but he actually remembered us from our last visit (which was over 6 months ago). He remembered our names, that we live in Atlanta, that we were in town over New Year's for our honeymoon, and that some of his regulars shared their cookie plate with us! After a BAD service experience the night before (at an establishment that shall remain nameless, for the time being), Jeff restored our faith in humanity. Thanks, Jeff!

The food was, of course, wonderful. Husband enjoyed his cheese plate and his turbot, which was perfectly cooked. I opted for the pea and pistachio gazpacho, which was really refreshing - I've never had a pickled mushroom before! And even though it was a scorcher outside, I still had to order the roasted chicken - it was everything I wanted and so much more. We took a cookie plate to go, and we enjoyed it immensely over the next day or two (caramels = happiness). Cocktails were lovely, as were the wines and beers recommended by our excellent bartender friend.

Once again, we walked out of Palena in excellent spirits, and we look forward to our next DC trip so we can return!

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Palena last night. A big thank you to this forum for helping me pick the restaurant: my original request for advice.

It was everything I had hoped it would be: interesting, exotic food combinations that merited the cost and didn't alienate my meat-and-potatoes husband. He was completely won over by the restaurant. The restaurant also gave us a free glass of prosecco and cookie platter to celebrate our anniversary. My one gripe, and I hope it was a fluke and it won't prevent me from visiting again if I ever get some extra money, is the long wait between courses. We were in the restaurant for 3 hours! That is a long time. Perhaps I added to the wait by changing from a 3-course to a 4-course after finishing the 1st course, but I identified what I wanted for the extra course right away.

Nonetheless, I have happy memories of cucumber bavaroise, fish cakes, goose egg ravioli, and the excellent blueberry tart. Magnificent!

Also the service was friendly and relaxing. Not snooty at all. We liked the cosy-ness of the dining room and the strange Escher-like paintings. And they also let my husband in with jeans and a golf shirt.

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Palena last night. A big thank you to this forum for helping me pick the restaurant: my original request for advice.

It was everything I had hoped it would be: interesting, exotic food combinations that merited the cost and didn't alienate my meat-and-potatoes husband. He was completely won over by the restaurant. The restaurant also gave us a free glass of prosecco and cookie platter to celebrate our anniversary. My one gripe, and I hope it was a fluke and it won't prevent me from visiting again if I ever get some extra money, is the long wait between courses. We were in the restaurant for 3 hours! That is a long time. Perhaps I added to the wait by changing from a 3-course to a 4-course after finishing the 1st course, but I identified what I wanted for the extra course right away.

Nonetheless, I have happy memories of cucumber bavaroise, fish cakes, goose egg ravioli, and the excellent blueberry tart. Magnificent!

Also the service was friendly and relaxing. Not snooty at all. We liked the cosy-ness of the dining room and the strange Escher-like paintings. And they also let my husband in with jeans and a golf shirt.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. I actually love the pacing of courses at Palena. I prefer long lingering meals there. Most of our dinners there are for 5 courses these days and go at least 3 hours. I enjoy the slow-food-movementedness of it.

In the past week I have had the pleasure of the Roman bread soup twice. If I thought they wouldn't look at me funny for walking in two nights in a row I would probably have gone and had another bowl tonight.

Imagine your grandmother's chicken soup with melted saltines. But instead of saltines there is wonderful bread, adding body to the soup. Sprinkled around are pieces of tomato. Enough so you know they are there but not too much to take over the dish. In the background is a flavor you can't quite figure out as it entices your tongue. A peek later at the menu reveals marjoram. Finish it with a drizzle of olive oil that adds and earthy finish to each spoonful.

Floating on top is a perfectly coddled hen egg. Break it open and the yolk creates a creamy texture that swirls around the broth allowing you to choose the texture of your next quiet slurp.

That is the magic that is the soup.

It's Back.

It's been five years since this post and it's still just as amazing.

(This post is dedicated to Babka, wherever she may be.)

Thanks. Was at the back room last week. Blown away as usual. Link to pictures and descriptions

4845700473_4628bff367_m.jpg

Went again....now probably won't be back for a bit. The fresh sardines recipe alone was worth the price of admission. And my wife's cumin-oil poached halibut was probably one of the best things I have ever had a chance to taste. And the pot au feu was freaking my own personal religion in a bowl.

And the pot au feu was freaking my own personal religion in a bowl.

I could travel the world over and not have a more satisfying dinner than that shared with my wife on the patio at Palena last night. We consumed a beautiful heirloom tomato salad, a mind blowing bowl of the pot au feu, a plate of absurdly delicious corn ravioli (topped with crab), and, of course, the greatest roast chicken on the planet. Accompanied by a 2001 Rochioli East Block Pinot it was utter perfection. Two notes - first, the pot au feu is a spectacular summerized version of the amazing winter/spring consomme that sometimes adorns the Cafe menu. Second, 3 years ago I had Andrew Carmellini's corn ravioli at A Voce - it was the highlight of that particular dinner by one of NYC's greatest chefs. Chef Ruta's are better.

Say hi next time. That corn ravioli was indeed awesome.

You too :(

BTW-my favorite soup was on the back room menu, not the cafe, on Friday. There was also a different spice/herb/whatever in the broth than last week. Couldn't figure it out thought. And more bread-a bit too much for my taste but who am I to question chef (more than a little bit)?

I could travel the world over and not have a more satisfying dinner than that shared with my wife on the patio at Palena last night. We consumed a beautiful heirloom tomato salad, a mind blowing bowl of the pot au feu, a plate of absurdly delicious corn ravioli (topped with crab), and, of course, the greatest roast chicken on the planet. Accompanied by a 2001 Rochioli East Block Pinot it was utter perfection. Two notes - first, the pot au feu is a spectacular summerized version of the amazing winter/spring consomme that sometimes adorns the Cafe menu. Second, 3 years ago I had Andrew Carmellini's corn ravioli at A Voce - it was the highlight of that particular dinner by one of NYC's greatest chefs. Chef Ruta's are better.

Stopped by late Monday with visions of pot au feu or Roman bread soup (or both?!). Heart sank when neither was on the Monday menu. And then proceeded to have the best two dishes I've had anywhere this summer -- the corn/crab ravioli ("absurdly delicious" is just about right) and the salad of "various path valley beans" with a "mortar-crushed" dressing of almonds, anchovy, and truffle and -- the topper -- crispy fried testa. Just perfect.

I would worry about whether Frank Ruta will be able to sustain this level of excellence once the place expands (perhaps mid-September), except that I've never seen any indication that he'd allow such a thing to happen -- whether or not this is the best restaurant in DC, it's hard to imagine it's not the most consistently satisfying. (And word is the new kitchen will have a wood-burning oven . . . ).

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done.

Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.

Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game

It's easy."

We noticed that the chicken is still on the café menu at $15, but rings up at $17. When we brought it to our server's attention, he brought us each (split checks) $2 in cash ... which we promptly left him as (part of the) tip.

Phenomenal. Chicken, fry plate, pot au feu, tomatoes, corn and crab ravioli, lamb breast. There's nothing to say that hasn't been said, but as a Palena first-timer, it's all worth saying again. The geeks among us, me included, would sum it up as "zomg" ... and, oh yes, zomg indeed. So good. I want another fried lemon. I've learned how to play the game.

Three of us had dinner there on Friday night and it was a beautiful night to sit outside and lounge for about 2.5 hours. I will say that our experience was a bit different. We ordered a few dishes and passed the plates so that we could all get a taste.

We started with the corn ravioli, fish cakes, and Portuguese sardines.

The corn ravioli was delicious and the corn puree (mousse?) filling was incredibly good. We all thought that the crab meat was not needed and it was rather lost in the mix.

The pan fried fish cakes were very good and served with braised fennel and other things that I don't remember.

The star of the first courses to me was the Portuguese sardines. Served with a nicely acidic dressing to cut the oiliness perfectly.

Our shared mains were the roast chicken, the duck, and the fry plate. The chicken and the fry plate were as good as always and the duck was tasty, but was just OK to me.

Looking forward to the new market and expanded cafe menu.

Three of us had dinner there on Friday night and it was a beautiful night to sit outside and lounge for about 2.5 hours. I will say that our experience was a bit different. We ordered a few dishes and passed the plates so that we could all get a taste.

We started with the corn ravioli, fish cakes, and Portuguese sardines.

The corn ravioli was delicious and the corn puree (mousse?) filling was incredibly good. We all thought that the crab meat was not needed and it was rather lost in the mix.

The pan fried fish cakes were very good and served with braised fennel and other things that I don't remember.

The star of the first courses to me was the Portuguese sardines. Served with a nicely acidic dressing to cut the oiliness perfectly.

Our shared mains were the roast chicken, the duck, and the fry plate. The chicken and the fry plate were as good as always and the duck was tasty, but was just OK to me.

Looking forward to the new market and expanded cafe menu.

Agree with everything mdt said. As an aside - I had corn ravioli at Jean Georges yesterday, and it did not compare to Chef Ruta's version at Palena.

First trip to Palena last evening. No corn ravioli (sigh). As it was Monday, we ate in the cafe. We had the cheese plate, to which I can just say "eh". while there were 6 cheeses on the plate, three of them were soft goat cheeses and tasted very similar. There was a really outstanding bleu and a very nice gouda. The chestnut honey was frankly weird, and so strong in flavor that it took away from the cheese. The cafe salad was very nicely dressed and the roasted beets were super sweet. Couldn't go to Palena for the first time and not order the chicken. Having never heard of Palena before last night, my companion with whom I was splitting dishes, couldn't understand why I wanted to order chicken at a restaurant. That was some juicy, crunchy, tasty chicken! :( We finished up with the hazelnut chocolate cake, which was a great finish to a really wonderful meal. Great service and a beautiful room to top it off! Can't believe I waited so long to go..can't wait till I can go again!

Another perfect evening at Palena last night. I didn't know that Mondays they do one menu for front and back rooms.

Coq au Vin. I might not have enough superlatives for this one. Just...get it if you see it.

Wine has been bothering my stomach lately, so I've been partaking of much bitters and soda over the last few weeks. I was offered a choice of bitters and requested "something fruity". What I received was a lovely peach cocktail - still just bitters and soda, but on a different plane.

This place never disappoints. I can't wait to see what happens with the new expanded space.

"This month, Ruta served a crudo of New Zealand sea trout, marinated with ginger and lime and topped with Burgundy truffles."

My wife got a dish very similar to this last Saturday, but unfortunately the truffles were flavorless. Guess we weren't lucky. Aside from that, the dish was terrific, as well as the kabosha squash soup with a scallop in it. A single scallop. And I had my best mussels soup of the season here Saturday.

We really love this place and the cooking. Hope it maintains its high standards after the move. Can't imagine that it won't!

Huge article in Washington Post today

Have they finished the remodel/expansion?!?!?! I gots to know!

That said, I need to bake in a few ressies ASAP as I think they might become overwhelmed by the article coverage. Oy.

The remodeling looked like it's still in the works, but getting close to completion. Loved the article in the Post, especially the part about his growing up years, I can see how he became a chef.

Huge article in Washington Post today

Have they finished the remodel/expansion?!?!?! I gots to know!

That said, I need to bake in a few ressies ASAP as I think they might become overwhelmed by the article coverage. Oy.

Was kind of hoping noone would see that "Huge" article so Palena might not get overwhelmed and we wouldn't need to do too much scrambling for tables. But then again, glad to see the article since some marketing and exposure is a good thing with more than twice the original space now to fill.

Palena's a real treasure. The Post got it exactly right. Dying to see what the new innovations will be when it reopens next month.

The Post article was nice. As of last weekend, the renovation looked pretty far along, but still some real work to go. You can't see the kitchen from the windows, but it looks like they have walls/floors/banquettes and tables all ready to go. Can't wait to see the new expanded space.

Should I be worried that my 3 year old spent 10 minutes with his nose pressed against the window of the Palena construction eagerly asking when it would be open for pizza?

(I think I should probably be more worried that our only visit to Palena within his memory was in January and he is STILL talking about it.)

Hello all,

This is my first post, so apologies in advance for any technical issues. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary last night in the main dining room and as alway it was fantastic. Just wanted to highlight a couple of things: if you like sardines, it is must . The beet ravioli was inspired, the combination of pasta, beet, salmon and roe -- just great. My wife had the chicken breast largely because she doesn't like to eat veal (even Palena's humanely raised veal) and doesn't eat fish. It was great, she said it was the best chicken she ever had, better than the cafe chicken. I wouldn't go far, but it was easily the best chicken breast I've ever had. Finally - the pear tart was just perfect. We love eating out and love trying new places, but we find that we are often disappointed. Palena never disappoints.

You have to love the DR community, I was also at Palena last night in the back dining room.

The sardines and beet raviolis were excellent, earth, lusty, and delicious.

The veal was solid to good and the halibut, while cooked perfectly was not all that exciting.

The desserts (chocolate hazelnut cake, pear tart, ricotta cheese cake) were fine, but not memorable.

But those sardines...those beets...fabulous!

Heading to Palena tonight and hoping to bring a special bottle of wine or two with me, but their menu online appears to be out of date (looks like summer) and I wanted to pair carefully. Anyone been there very recently who can tell me the highlights on the menu? I tried calling but only got their answering machine. How is the veal prepared?

Heading to Palena tonight and hoping to bring a special bottle of wine or two with me, but their menu online appears to be out of date (looks like summer) and I wanted to pair carefully. Anyone been there very recently who can tell me the highlights on the menu? I tried calling but only got their answering machine. How is the veal prepared?

Had an exquisite meal. My goodness. Our server had actually noticed my post from yesterday, but said they really don't know the menu until right about opening time. That said, here was our terrific experience for your reference:

Started with a crystal clear Autumn consomme with veal and perfectly prepared fall veggies, served at the precise temperature you'd want - just so elegant. Beautiful to behold, let alone consume.

I brought a racy mid-level CdP from 2000 that was thrilled to meet the next courses: bacon cube with spiced apples (oh sweet lord) and a venison and veal pairing that basically wrapped itself around my glass. My wife's squab did equally well with the CdP, which probably overachieved because of the food.

For dessert, a wine list glass of 2004 Quarts de Chaume paired perfectly with apple pie, and still did quite well with the pumpkin sorbet and the slice of the ricotta cheesecake that our server was gracious enough to bring after noticing the little lady had agonized over her dessert decision.

Palena's dining room lived up to its billing by all measures. Looking forward to an afternoon meal in the cafe soon.

Started with a crystal clear Autumn consomme with veal and perfectly prepared fall veggies, served at the precise temperature you'd want - just so elegant. Beautiful to behold, let alone consume.

I brought a racy mid-level CdP from 2000 that was thrilled to meet the next courses: bacon cube with spiced apples (oh sweet lord) and a venison and veal pairing that basically wrapped itself around my glass. My wife's squab did equally well with the CdP, which probably overachieved because of the food.

The consomme or pot au feu or other variations by Palena are arguably my most favorite things on the changing menu. It's 'I will kill a thousand zombies to protect it' good.

The bacon cube sounds quite intoxicating, most of their cured meats (if not all), are done in house, so I can only imagine how wonderful it must have been.

The consomme or pot au feu or other variations by Palena are arguably my most favorite things on the changing menu. It's 'I will kill a thousand zombies to protect it' good.

I am always amazed at how filling Ruta's clear broths can be, they are like eating a melted hunk of collagen, of course it would be the most spectacular tasting piece of collagen ever produced.

I am always amazed at how filling Ruta's clear broths can be, they are like eating a melted hunk of collagen, of course it would be the most spectacular tasting piece of collagen ever produced.

this broth sets off foie gras like nothing else, small pads of it melting on your tongue with an evanescent taste of cloves. it's also sort of an adventure. maybe i was dreaming this, but i think there was some cockscomb in it recently that was yielding in texture and intriguing though reticent in flavor. the broth, though substantial, is light enough to float the flavors of what's added to it. for a number of reasons i haven't been able to get to palena for a few weeks, which may be why i am having a difficult time driving the soup out of my mind.

maybe i was dreaming this, but i think there was some cockscomb in it recently that was yielding in texture and intriguing though reticent in flavor.

This time last year the Autumn consomme did indeed have cockscomb - an food item that is all about texture.